5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pulling to the left when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 02:54 PM
calvinm

I have a 2000 GLE with what I think is a problem. When on the highway at a consistent speed, the car drives straight down the road. When I put on the gas, even a little, it pulls left and I am sitting in the left lane within a 100 yards. I took it to the dealership and was told that this is normal "torque steer". I travel a lot and drive a lot of rent cars. I have driven a Camry, Taurus and Dodge Stratus, and none of them had this problem.

Is anyone else having steering problems like this?

Thanks,
Calvin

Old 05-22-2001, 03:04 PM
Got Bent?

yup...sounds like torque steer to me.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by calvinm
I have driven a Camry, Taurus and Dodge Stratus, and none of them had this problem.

Is anyone else having steering problems like this?
None of those cars have as much hp and torque as your Max does.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

No. His car should not be pulling to the left when he is only pushing on the accelerator "a little". Looks like there is a problem. Ask the dealer to test drive it w/ you in the car. Or ask to test drive another maxima to confirm your problem.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:57 PM

that's *not* normal

Torque steer happens most often under hard acceleration from a lower gear - like a full throttle launch from a stop. Its *never* happened to me on the highway in my Accord V6. Actually, I've never even noticed any at a full throttle launch from a stop, either. Of course, the best test is to launch without your hands on the wheel, but I've never really done that. But if it was bad at all, you'd notice it.

Anyways, your Max shouldn't be doing that. If it's "normal" then every Max you drive will do it and you can take any car on the lot and try it out with the service tech with you and show him how it doesn't do it and how it really is not normal.

I have no clue what's wrong, but I do know that it shouldn't be doing that.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: that's *not* normal

Is this a trend? To repeat information over again?

Originally posted by stevepake
Torque steer happens most often under hard acceleration from a lower gear - like a full throttle launch from a stop. Its *never* happened to me on the highway in my Accord V6. Actually, I've never even noticed any at a full throttle launch from a stop, either. Of course, the best test is to launch without your hands on the wheel, but I've never really done that. But if it was bad at all, you'd notice it.

Anyways, your Max shouldn't be doing that. If it's "normal" then every Max you drive will do it and you can take any car on the lot and try it out with the service tech with you and show him how it doesn't do it and how it really is not normal.

I have no clue what's wrong, but I do know that it shouldn't be doing that.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: that's *not* normal

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Is this a trend? To repeat information over again?

That's OK. stevepake's still a newbie. He'll catch on. And it's nice to hear this issue discussed from a different perspective.

One thing I can tell you. I've got torque steer BIG TIME! But as has already been stated, it's only when I accelerate really hard in 1st gear (and maybe just a wee bit in 2nd gear as well).

Good luck, calvinm.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: that's *not* normal

Originally posted by y2kse

That's OK. stevepake's still a newbie. He'll catch on. And it's nice to hear this issue discussed from a different perspective.

One thing I can tell you. I've got torque steer BIG TIME! But as has already been stated, it's only when I accelerate really hard in 1st gear (and maybe just a wee bit in 2nd gear as well).

Good luck, calvinm.
so um, how do the supercharged/nos people control it?? must be hard?
Old 05-22-2001, 06:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: that's *not* normal

If you have a FWD with no LSD + high power, torque steer is gonna be a problem. It seems at about 240hp or so, the torque steer really starts getting bad. I read reviews of either the Saab or Volvo turbos and it's scary. The magazines say if you get on the gas too much and the turbos wind up, you had better make sure no one is in the lane directly left of you! Geez! It's borderline irresponisble to issue a car that does that. At least put some kind of limit slip differential in those cars!

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

so um, how do the supercharged/nos people control it?? must be hard?
Old 05-22-2001, 09:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: that's *not* normal

Mine feels fine... even when accelerating hard...

In fact, it pulls ever so slightly to the right under normal driving conditions (although I really mean it when I say slightly.. In fact, I fear I might be just imagining the whole thing).. Gonna have my dealer check out my alignment anyway (next time i'm in the neighborhood)..

**remember, upto 12k miles, nissan pays for your alignment.. check the warrenty booklet.. it may even be 12,500 miles, i'm not sure**

-Tom Z.

PS.. good luck trying to convince them there is something wrong with your car... I'm beginning to believe that unless you can clearly point to a problem, and say something like "look!!! it's on fire!", Nissan dealerships will give you the run-around...
Old 05-22-2001, 09:42 PM
RBa

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: that's *not* normal

Originally posted by tomz17
**remember, upto 12k miles, nissan pays for your alignment.. check the warrenty booklet.. it may even be 12,500 miles, i'm not sure**
Dam..I had to pay for mine.
Why couldn't someone post this earlier?
Old 05-22-2001, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: that's *not* normal

Originally posted by RBa

Dam..I had to pay for mine.
Why couldn't someone post this earlier?

Actually, I know that I posted this a few times (maybe twice or three times over the past few months)... and guess where I first read about it? HERE!!! (I remember checking this out in the warrenty booklet one day and it is true!!

My service manager says that Nissan will pay for basically any adjustment they have to make under 12k/12mos.)

-Tom