5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tune up on 02 Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005 | 04:42 AM

Tune up on 02 Max

Well I have looked around trying to find some information or suggestions for doing a tune up on my 02 Max, but did not see anything. Anyone here have any suggestions or can point me to a link on changing plugs and fuel filter and whatever else I need to do on my max with 68,000 miles?
Old 07-26-2005 | 05:08 AM

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...nce/I35/90.htm

Granted, it's for the 2002 I35, but I can't see how it would be too different.
Old 07-26-2005 | 05:53 AM

Why in the world would you change your fuel filter and plugs now? With 68K miles you need to do nothing. I think the first tune up is at 100K miles. For some reason internet mechanics like to change fuel filters with the same frequency they change their panties. Leave you fuel filter alone! IF you change your fuel filter on an 02 MAxima without symptoms it is defective you are wasting your time. They were designed to be maintenance free.

I would recommend you touch nothing and wait until 100K miles. Then plugs, wires, oil, oil filter, coolant, some fluid flushes, in cabin air filter, inspect bearings, inspect struts, inspect brakes, inspect gaskets.

That is all I can think of right now. I will hit back later if I think of something else.
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:11 AM

It is called "PREVENTiTIVE" maintenance.

So i can't spell...
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:14 AM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
It is called "PREVENTATIVE" maintenance.
lol, you just made up a word.. hahah

its "preventive" rofl

at 68k you should check spark plugs and do some liquid changes... trans oil.. maybe coolant.. etc
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:28 AM
scopium

the crappy spark plugs nissan uses.. sucks.. mine were burnt at 35k.
i've replaced them with bosch platinum..

i do this every year but its at owners discrestion.
- change tranny fuild
- change and flush radiator fluid
- off course change oil
- every 60k i change spark plugs
-check belts
- lubricate all hinges

thats pretty much it. ( it should come out to less than a 100 bucks)
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by scopium
the crappy spark plugs nissan uses.. sucks.. mine were burnt at 35k.
i've replaced them with bosch platinum..
... I disagree ... but to each their own ..
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by mdloops
Why in the world would you change your fuel filter and plugs now? With 68K miles you need to do nothing. I think the first tune up is at 100K miles. For some reason internet mechanics like to change fuel filters with the same frequency they change their panties. Leave you fuel filter alone! IF you change your fuel filter on an 02 MAxima without symptoms it is defective you are wasting your time. They were designed to be maintenance free.

I would recommend you touch nothing and wait until 100K miles. Then plugs, wires, oil, oil filter, coolant, some fluid flushes, in cabin air filter, inspect bearings, inspect struts, inspect brakes, inspect gaskets.

That is all I can think of right now. I will hit back later if I think of something else.
So no oil changes until 100K miles?
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:53 AM
scopium

come on man.. you serious? oil change every 3000 miles
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:55 AM
Suspension Yoda

I know that, but I'm just finding all the absurdity in this guy's post, similar as the comment I've made
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:18 AM
scopium

mdloops
i dont think you know what u talking about. follow your own advice and see how many problems you'll encounter. you'll be lucky if your car makes it to 100k.
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:26 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

You have got to be kidding. So your saying none of us know anything about our cars?

All of those things should be done BY 60k miles.
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:51 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, and the link Mr Ryte.

The reason I am changing the fuel filter and plugs is because I have noticed some hesitation, almost like a skip when accelerating hard. (i.e. when you pass some slow dude on a two lane road, or merge onto the interstate!) I was running 89 octane at the time, so I thought that might be it, but when I filled up with 93 octane on my next visit to the gas station, the sympton was still there. I am thinking I may have gotten some bad gasoline, so that is why I am changing the fuel filter. Which by the way has anyone done a fuel filter change on their 02 or 03 Max?

I have read on here where some members have changed spark plugs earlier than recommended and were shocked at the condition of their so call 100k spark plugs. I don't know if was for preventive maintenance or if they were noticing a lull in performance of their Max. In any case I hope that changing the plugs won't be too hard, we shall see.
Old 07-26-2005 | 11:41 AM
scopium

your hesitation might be tranny issues not fuel filter..
Old 07-26-2005 | 12:21 PM

your hesitation might be tranny issues not fuel filter..

...scopium, I hope it's not my tranny, I just had the fluid changed recently. It does not seem like a tranny problem though, it kicks down with no problems, it just seems like the motor is skipping as the rpm's are climbing almost like its not getting enough fuel or spark.

I found the write ups on changing the plugs and filter....dang why can't working on this car be a little more easier?
Old 07-26-2005 | 12:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

MAF ...
Old 07-26-2005 | 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
It is called "PREVENTiTIVE" maintenance.

So i can't spell...
(*)Maintenance-free item when the filter becomes clogged, the vehicle speed cannot be increase as the driver wishes. In such an event, replaced the filter.

Why don't you call nissan and tell them that even though they designed the maintenance schedule to reflect the engineering in the car they are wrong, their years of technical college education were wrong, all of their invested time was wasted, and they should fire their talented team of engineers who have been making cars all of their life and hire you? Preventive maintence is explictly outlined by nissan. If you have that little of faith in their employees why do you own a nissan?
Old 07-26-2005 | 03:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

The maintenance states to check and repalce belts every 15k ... And we don't have "wires" as stated in your post.

Also, we all know oil is to be changed 3-5k ... common sense .. And I'll challenge any engineer if tehy think 100k is good for oil, oil filter, the manual again .. in the maintenacne interval section ... They're nearly identical from 95-03 ...

Old 07-26-2005 | 03:57 PM
scopium

mdloops you just dont know what u talking about.

um.. yea engineers have good education and are very smart.. but who is responsible for the budget and final cost of the car..
i'm sure if it was up to engineers they would put on bigger rotors on the car..
sometimes companies ignore areas on purpose to profit from servicing it.

second why are u arguing.. what is wrong with changing things on your car. nothing.

if he wants to change his spark plug 70K before its due .. then let it be man..

and honestly i've never seen anyone leave fluids in there car for 100k. not even the dealer.

why wait for the problem when it can be prevented.

you leave your tranny fluid in your car for 100K. as soon as you change it your tranny is gonna give out why? because of all the buildup from the old oil.
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:08 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

(*)Maintenance-free item when the filter becomes clogged, the vehicle speed cannot be increase as the driver wishes. In such an event, replaced the filter.

Why don't you call nissan and tell them that even though they designed the maintenance schedule to reflect the engineering in the car they are wrong, their years of technical college education were wrong, all of their invested time was wasted, and they should fire their talented team of engineers who have been making cars all of their life and hire you? Preventive maintence is explictly outlined by nissan. If you have that little of faith in their employees why do you own a nissan?
They also blame modified suspensions for the Bose HU problem.

Yea they really know what their doing.
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stardust
They also blame modified suspensions for the Bose HU problem.

Yea they really know what their doing.
I can't post a new thread!!
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by L8Braker
Thanks for the advice guys, and the link Mr Ryte.
No problem. Hope that it all works out for you. I would say wait till you can at least get it hooked up to a diagnostic/consult for free at Autozone or some auto parts store.

As for "certain" people involved in this thread, please don't turn this helpful thread into a needless flame war or pissing match. If you have to argue, please do so through PM/email....
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:32 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by nightridermax
I can't post a new thread!!
READ THE ******* ANNOUNCEMENTS

two more posts
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:39 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

if it's maintenance free why does it say "WHEN the filter becomes clogged... REPLACE IT"? Why not PREVENT getting stranded by changing the filter ahead of time? Doesn't maintenance free = NO replacement or adjustment?
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:51 PM

if it's maintenance free why does it say "WHEN the filter becomes clogged... REPLACE IT"? Why not PREVENT getting stranded by changing the filter ahead of time? Doesn't maintenance free = NO replacement or adjustment?
It's maintenance free because they don't have problems. (any of you had this problem) I have 78k on mine and only change oil and air filter's. N=ever had a problem and it runs great. Check your manual for preventative maintenance. The maintenance schedules are really preventative! Most items changed at a certain milage can last twice as long as when they tell you to change it. I manage a mechanic shop and feel like I'm ripping people off when I sale a maintenance service. Then again Auto shops love people who like to give money away. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:24 PM

when i had my belts replaced at 48k on my 02SE, i was told by nissan that i should get a tranny flush and power steering flush, does this mean that they were just trying to get money out of me or should i get this done, i have 52k now
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by bugbite77
when i had my belts replaced at 48k on my 02SE, i was told by nissan that i should get a tranny flush and power steering flush, does this mean that they were just trying to get money out of me or should i get this done, i have 52k now
Wouldn't hurt! But I havn't done mine. Think I'll change everything at 100k
Old 07-27-2005 | 12:12 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
It's maintenance free because they don't have problems. (any of you had this problem) I have 78k on mine and only change oil and air filter's. N=ever had a problem and it runs great. Check your manual for preventative maintenance. The maintenance schedules are really preventative! Most items changed at a certain milage can last twice as long as when they tell you to change it. I manage a mechanic shop and feel like I'm ripping people off when I sale a maintenance service. Then again Auto shops love people who like to give money away. Thank you!
One more time since you can't read. If they don't have problems why does it say "WHEN the filter becomes clogged... REPLACE IT"? If they NEVER have problems why don't they say "Filter will never clog or need to be replaced"?
Old 07-27-2005 | 12:23 AM

One more time since you can't read. If they don't have problems why does it say "WHEN the filter becomes clogged... REPLACE IT"? If they NEVER have problems why don't they say "Filter will never clog or need to be replaced"?
It will Clog eventially. The chancesin a 100k 1 in 1000 maby! Very unlikely just keep bringing people like me MONEY and I don't care. Almost all serviceable idems on these Maximas are built to last well over 100k
Old 07-27-2005 | 01:06 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Factory plugs and coils last 100K? HAH!
Old 07-27-2005 | 02:21 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
It will Clog eventially. The chancesin a 100k 1 in 1000 maby! Very unlikely just keep bringing people like me MONEY and I don't care. Almost all serviceable idems on these Maximas are built to last well over 100k
All parts on all cars are designed to last 100k but guess what, THEY DON'T.
Old 07-28-2005 | 09:29 AM

Things like the coils are not on any scheduled maintenance list, This is just something that nissan made ****ty! Plugs, Fluids, and fuel filter are maintenance items that will go 100k. Like I said I don't want to argue, JUST KEEP BRINGING OUR SHOPS THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 07-28-2005 | 09:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

I do all my own work, so no shop gets my $$ .. Seems like you get by "your" shop.
Old 07-28-2005 | 09:57 AM
I Know Kwaliti

To change your fuel filter get the details here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=314172

For plugs, I did them on my 2K at 50K and they looked quite bad (they were Platinum), I put in Iridiums, the procedure on 5.5 gen is somethat different so I'm sorry cannot help you there...

By 68K I also replaced both belts, PCV, tranny oil, coolant, cleaned the throttle. This is in addition to regular oil changes every 3-4K, K&N filter and a few brake jobs...
Old 07-28-2005 | 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

synthetic oil will last about 2x longer than regular. i have been doing synthetic oli changes about twice a year. 10w30 in the spring, and 5w30 in the fall, (on my v6 camry though), and it's lasted through 130k miles. purrs like a cat. nissan recommeds changing oil every 5k miles, this is using regular oil even. from experience, doing synthetic oil changes every 3-4k miles is overkill on japanese cars. the are built to closer tolerances than american, and oil lasts much longer.
Old 07-28-2005 | 10:25 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Agree, I use Mobil 1, and I change the filter every 3K (with 1/2 qt top up) and oil every 6K. Synthetic is good for long mileage but filter is not...
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

some cars dont last as long as they are supposed to, then we blame it on the manufacturers. Just goes to show how owners create a stereotype for unreliable cars. Stop being cheap, and do the maintenance before hand. Look at the posts by people who have replaced these parts. I've changed plugs, filter, all fluids in between 63-68k miles and all needed changing. Plugs were on their last leg, filter was dirty, fluids were black. You keep believing these parts will last 100k, just dont talk trash about maxima's when yours gives issues.
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:33 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I am a believer in regular maintenance and as such have driven 3 cars to beyond 200K without engine or tranny failure (note that all three were domestics too)...
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:33 AM
scopium

i completely agree with meccanoble,
imo we need to take care of our cars even more than others because of the way we drive them. we like to push our cars to its limits thus the needed of more attention.
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

limits
What are those

Quick Reply: Tune up on 02 Max