5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RT Cat rattling!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 12:17 PM
Wustylez

Okay, just got back from the shop and me and my installer concluded that it is the RT cat that was causing the rattling sound..I used the installation kit provided by RT , same as the gaskets..due to its flange design we didnt' use the stock metal gaskets becaust we were afraid of exhaust leak.

anyone has RT cat,please help!!

Tim

Old 05-23-2001, 12:24 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Installation kit?!?!? I didn't get one, so Turbo95Max and I used the old gaskets. Not leak, rattles, or banging so far. Did he tell you what part of the cat was banging?
Old 05-23-2001, 12:30 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Wustylez

Did you get the bolts and nuts from Nissan..how did you bolt on your RT cat without Nissan bolts and nuts??? the stock cat has threaded bolts buil in?

Tim
it's not a banging noise, it's more like metal rattling when the air rushes thru....

Help

Old 05-23-2001, 12:42 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

it's not a banging noise, it's more like metal rattling when the air rushes thru....

Help
Hmmmm.....
Old 05-23-2001, 12:48 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Hmmmm.....

Did you get the bolts and nuts from Nissan..how did you bolt on your RT cat without Nissan bolts and nuts??? the stock cat has threaded bolts built in?

Tim

Old 05-23-2001, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You too, huh?

I get a buzzing sound when I first start my car. I'm not an engineer, but it sounds like something is resonating inside the exhaust system. It wasn't there before I installed the RT cat. Fortunately, the sound disappears very quickly. Does yours go away after awhile or does it keep on buzzing, Wustylez?
Old 05-23-2001, 01:02 PM
Wustylez

Re: You too, huh?

Originally posted by y2kse
I get a buzzing sound when I first start my car. I'm not an engineer, but it sounds like something is resonating inside the exhaust system. It wasn't there before I installed the RT cat. Fortunately, the sound disappears very quickly. Does yours go away after awhile or does it keep on buzzing, Wustylez?
Okay, it's been two days since i have that buzz noise,, it hasn't gone away..how long did it take you??

Tim

Old 05-23-2001, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: You too, huh?

Okay, it's been two days since i have that buzz noise,, it hasn't gone away..how long did it take you??

Tim
It seems to disappear within minutes after I start my car. But it's definitely annoying when it happens. And I wouldn't want to live with it if it didn't go away quickly.

Call Dave at Random Technology and see what he has to say.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:20 PM
Wustylez

Re: Re: Re: You too, huh?

It seems to disappear within minutes after I start my car. But it's definitely annoying when it happens. And I wouldn't want to live with it if it didn't go away quickly.

Call Dave at Random Technology and see what he has to say.
I tried to, but couldn't get through their line??
Well, mine is little different than your situation..i dont' have any problems when starting my car , only time it happens is when i try to accelerate(hard or medium), it will rattle???

Tim

Old 05-23-2001, 01:39 PM

When Tim was at my place this weekend I heard the noise. It was a weird sound, kind of like if air was sucking in or being pushed out near the cat. A metal tinny/light clinking kind of sound. At least that's what I heard. I hope my description helps and doesn't confuse people
Old 05-23-2001, 01:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Turbo95Max and I had to buy nuts, bolts, and washers so we can do the install. Question about the flow arrow... which way does it point?
Old 05-23-2001, 02:10 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by punkdork
When Tim was at my place this weekend I heard the noise. It was a weird sound, kind of like if air was sucking in or being pushed out near the cat. A metal tinny/light clinking kind of sound. At least that's what I heard. I hope my description helps and doesn't confuse people
No it's not that noise,,that is from the Y-pipe i am talking about the rattling coming from my RT cat, it's different..I I was wrong when i told you it wasn't....i didnt' have that noise until like mOnday???

Talked to Dave at Random..no luck, he doesn't think it's the Cat, so what to do...

Old 05-23-2001, 02:11 PM

Talked to Dave at Random..no luck, he doesn't think it's the Cat, so what to do...

Put the stock cat and gaskets back on and see how it works?
Old 05-23-2001, 02:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Sell your cat to Jon so he can test it out for you.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:28 PM

The sound I get is like a whirring, tinny sound. It only lasts for a few minutes after I start the car, then it disappears.

I'm not sure what's going on with your car, but I agree with punkdork. Reinstall your stock cat and see if the sound goes away.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:57 PM

The sound I get is like a whirring, tinny sound. It only lasts for a few minutes after I start the car, then it disappears.

I'm not sure what's going on with your car, but I agree with punkdork. Reinstall your stock cat and see if the sound goes away.
quit talkin all this mess i had the same problem.... simple solution rip off the heat sheild on it..... problem solved!!!! same exact noise u r describing was coming from my cat too took that off and blamo no more nosie!!!
Old 05-23-2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

quit talkin all this mess i had the same problem.... simple solution rip off the heat sheild on it..... problem solved!!!! same exact noise u r describing was coming from my cat too took that off and blamo no more nosie!!!
Damn. I don't want to lose my nosie!!!

Seriously, that may be worth a try. But the problem isn't that bad in my case and I'd prefer to keep the heat shield in place.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:07 PM

Damn. I don't want to lose my nosie!!!

Seriously, that may be worth a try. But the problem isn't that bad in my case and I'd prefer to keep the heat shield in place.
y would u want to keep your heat shield? no reason to u have plenty of heat shields under the car as it is..... just a question!!!
Old 05-23-2001, 07:25 PM

y would u want to keep your heat shield? no reason to u have plenty of heat shields under the car as it is..... just a question!!!
The heat shield under the car is the only heat shield I have. If there's another one, I'm unaware of it.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:15 PM

The heat shield under the car is the only heat shield I have. If there's another one, I'm unaware of it.
the whole underside where the exhaust runs is one big heat shield.... it wont make a difference if a 1mm piece of metal is under your car..... i have been driving like this since a week after i got it no problems!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 12:06 AM
Wustylez

You mean the heat shield on the RT cat??? How did you rip it off???

Thanks
Tim

Old 05-24-2001, 11:11 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What you sre hearing is a loose "brick" inside the cat. RT is notorious for this problem. Lots of us 4th geners have had this problem, including me currently. If your rattle goes anyway after engine warm up consider yourself lucky ( mine does). If it only happens on full throttle then take it back (I hope you have the receipt).

Dave
Old 05-24-2001, 12:40 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Dave B
What you sre hearing is a loose "brick" inside the cat. RT is notorious for this problem. Lots of us 4th geners have had this problem, including me currently. If your rattle goes anyway after engine warm up consider yourself lucky ( mine does). If it only happens on full throttle then take it back (I hope you have the receipt).

Dave
So it's not the heat shield on top of the RT Cat that is making the rattling sound?

Thanks
Tim

Old 05-24-2001, 02:05 PM

So it's not the heat shield on top of the RT Cat that is making the rattling sound?

Thanks
Tim
mine was i havent had the problem that they r saying! oh well hope it not what they said
Old 05-24-2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
Thanks, Dave. That actually makes more sense than a heat shield problem. The buzzing in my cat seems to go away as soon as the cat fires up. So unless it gets worse, I'll live with it as you suggest.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Wustylez

Thanks, Dave. That actually makes more sense than a heat shield problem. The buzzing in my cat seems to go away as soon as the cat fires up. So unless it gets worse, I'll live with it as you suggest.
But mine was weird, there was no noise at all the first two days i had it installed, it started to happen after like the third day..and now it happens frequently at 1500rpm, sometimes when accelerating???

Should I ship it back (which will take about 2 weeks turnaround time) or just rip the heat shield off?

Tim

Old 05-25-2001, 11:05 AM

But mine was weird, there was no noise at all the first two days i had it installed, it started to happen after like the third day..and now it happens frequently at 1500rpm, sometimes when accelerating???

Should I ship it back (which will take about 2 weeks turnaround time) or just rip the heat shield off?

Tim
im telling u mine did the same exact thing it was really annoying and emmbarassing..... i ripped the heat sheild off and it fixed my problem right up!
Old 05-26-2001, 12:09 AM
Wustylez

im telling u mine did the same exact thing it was really annoying and emmbarassing..... i ripped the heat sheild off and it fixed my problem right up!
I am just curious, how did you rip it off?

Tim

Old 05-26-2001, 12:37 AM

I am just curious, how did you rip it off?

Tim
with a flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers