5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Flowmaster 50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Flowmaster 50 Review

Well I've had my Flowmaster 50 and for a week. I had a new Warp Y, Budget B and a Flowmaster 50 installed. The shop I brought it to did a great job but there was some banging when I first got it back. They installed a heat resistant rubber wedge between the back brace and exhaust pipe which totally eliminated the nasty banging. The wedge is held in place with plastic ties. My only concern is that the 02 sensor seems easily damaged because of how and where it sits in the Y-pipe. First off sound: The Flowmaster is very thoaty at idle and during acceleration (kinda like a motor boat). Interior noise is nice. On the highway, at cruising speed, the Flowmaster, is barley audible. Slightly louder then stock. This is exactly what I wanted. A little noise when driving around town. I'm also happy to report that there is no drone like my Greddy when I'm doing 60-80MPH in 6th gear. The new Y-pipe (had a Greddy cat) and high flow cat have added more pull to the car. I have no idea abut the actual HP but my but dyno is telling me that it is a faster car with better acceleration. So to close I would say that for 90.00 you can't beat the Flowmaster 50 in Stainless.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 AM

I had the flowmaster 50 on my last car. I loved the sound, nothing to loud, but deeper and throatier. I did lose some low end torque though.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by silversurfersg
I had the flowmaster 50 on my last car. I loved the sound, nothing to loud, but deeper and throatier. I did lose some low end torque though.
Thats my biggest concern. I had a flowmaster on my jetta and lost alot of low end torque, plus the noise was unbearable....So i end up putting the stock one back on...Thats y i am scared to do an exhaust change. The oem isnt to bad, it has a nice sound to it..
Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Well I've had my Flowmaster 50 and for a week. I had a new Warp Y, Budget B and a Flowmaster 50 installed. The shop I brought it to did a great job but there was some banging when I first got it back. They installed a heat resistant rubber wedge between the back brace and exhaust pipe which totally eliminated the nasty banging. The wedge is held in place with plastic ties. My only concern is that the 02 sensor seems easily damaged because of how and where it sits in the Y-pipe. First off sound: The Flowmaster is very thoaty at idle and during acceleration (kinda like a motor boat). Interior noise is nice. On the highway, at cruising speed, the Flowmaster, is barley audible. Slightly louder then stock. This is exactly what I wanted. A little noise when driving around town. I'm also happy to report that there is no drone like my Greddy when I'm doing 60-80MPH in 6th gear. The new Y-pipe (had a Greddy cat) and high flow cat have added more pull to the car. I have no idea abut the actual HP but my but dyno is telling me that it is a faster car with better acceleration. So to close I would say that for 90.00 you can't beat the Flowmaster 50 in Stainless.

you think you gained HP from just the muffler swap, not the whole cat-back system?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
you think you gained HP from just the muffler swap, not the whole cat-back system?
Topic should have been called "new exhaust system review" rather than just the muffler
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 PM

Well the muffler plays the biggest part in creating your exhaust notes so...........No I didn't get any pull from the muffler but I did from the new Y-pipe I had installed. I already had a Greddy cat back so the increase wasn't dramatic but it was a nice upgrade. I never experienced the stock muffler on my car so I don't know about low end loss but I can tell you that the torque feels about the same vs. the Greddy. I just noticed today that the banging is back but not too bad so I guess I need to get the guys who installed the exhaust to lower the braces under the car. Boondoxmax you probably had a series 40 old style which is a lot louder then the new Flowmaster 50. The muffler/exhaust I have is not neraly as quiet as stock but I don't want a Granny car I want to hear the exhaust around town to a small degree and I want a drone free highway ride which I have. I would buy it again. Also for 90.00 you can't beat it. It isn't as shiny and cool looking as the Greddy but it does its job. The Greddy hasd a nice tone too but it had a drone on the highway and I really wanted to rid myself of that for long trips with the family. It ended up costing a lot more then I wanted. 250.00 for the Y, 210.00 for the B, 90.00 for the muffler, 90.00 for another short SS pipe and 150.00 for installation. And it cost me another 80.00 to bump up the timing and to check my high idle.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 PM
BG

I'd love to see pictures of your install - if you can get them.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:08 AM

No sound clips no care....

Seriously, if you could get us some good sound clips to add to the exhaust clip thread, that would be cool.... I'm sure others are interested in hearing how your set-up sounds.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:26 PM

We already have a Flowmaster 50 on a sound clip and it doesn't sound any different.