5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FrankenCar Cold Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Injen Cold Air Intake System start on page 2 (change of subject)

Who here who has it likes it? Who has had any problems? I talked with a guy today about installing it, and he said to make sure that it comes with the mass air intake or something like that to keep a check engine light from coming on...

What's your experience with this intake?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1. The Frankencar is not a CAI.

2. Many people have it... read around a little and you'll find them.

3. You shouldn't be talking to anyone about installing it because its a DIYer. There are instructions in the Stickies and many other places on how to install an intake.

4. Your car already has a MAF and installing the intake will not remove that.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 PM
retired moderator

1. It's not a cold air intake. It's a short-ram intake, aka "warm air intake". There is only one TRUE CAI available for the Maxima, and that's the Place Racing CAI. All of the others (Berk, Frankencar, and Injen, etc) are WAI's.

2. It is similar in design to the Berk intake. They are equally as good as each other.

3. There is already a MAF (mass airflow sensor) on the car's stock air box. when you put in the intake, the MAF plugs into it. He probably meant "don't forget to plug in the MAF" or you will get a CEL.

4. Easy DIY install...don't waste your money taking it to a shop.

5. You can get them from Frankencar with either an Apexi or K&N filter. I suggest get the Apexi.

6. I've had mine for 2 years or so, and have been very happy with it.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Great blokes

I found them excellant they sent mine all the way over here to Australia and did not even rip me off for postage and handle.

Great blokes Highly recommended.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
1. The Frankencar is not a CAI.

2. Many people have it... read around a little and you'll find them.

3. You shouldn't be talking to anyone about installing it because its a DIYer. There are instructions in the Stickies and many other places on how to install an intake.

4. Your car already has a MAF and installing the intake will not remove that.
Joel, it's uncanny how much on the same page we are these days, posting the same thing at the same time......you know what they say about "great minds...."
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
1. It's not a cold air intake. It's a short-ram intake, aka "warm air intake". There is only one TRUE CAI available for the Maxima, and that's the Place Racing CAI. All of the others (Berk, Frankencar, and Injen, etc) are WAI's.

2. It is similar in design to the Berk intake. They are equally as good as each other.

3. There is already a MAF (mass airflow sensor) on the car's stock air box. when you put in the intake, the MAF plugs into it. He probably meant "don't forget to plug in the MAF" or you will get a CEL.

4. Easy DIY install...don't waste your money taking it to a shop.

5. You can get them from Frankencar with either an Apexi or K&N filter. I suggest get the Apexi.

6. I've had mine for 2 years or so, and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for the help...

How will this WAI help more than the regular one? b/c of the filter?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Parker Woodruff
Thanks for the help...

How will this WAI help more than the regular one? b/c of the filter?
What regular one? You mean the stock airbox? Its basically increased flow...by how much is debatable, since its argued that the stock airbox is already pretty well designed. The gains from the WAI are not gonna be drastic, so don't expect to feel a huge difference. It just SOUNDS faster.

There are some threads in the FAQs under Intakes that have general intake info... take a look at those as well.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
vsamoylov

its a good intake system but the only thing i didnt like that came with the kit are those ugly huge clamps.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM

It looks like they never completed the box where the filter would sit in to help keep out some of the engine heat.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Z

He was probably told to make sure it came with a breather filter or breather tubes. 'Cause if it doesn't come with a tube, then you have to use a breather filter.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Btw, the GAB still gets my vote... if I didn't already have my Berk, I'd have gone GAB...
Old 08-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Ok...change of subject... the Injen CAI...is that a DIY? What are the thoughts from those who have it?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Ok...change of subject... the Injen CAI...is that a DIY? What are the thoughts from those who have it?
Yes. All intake installs are pretty much.

http://www.moodym.com/maxima/tech/injen.html
Old 08-10-2005, 09:37 PM

aright thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 AM

Berks intake looks better, but both have the same gains which are pretty minimal. The Berk is cheaper and his customer service is MUCH better than FrankenCar's. I've had both and both sound equally great. Ditto that of Irish's post. Get the Apexi. It's a much better filter (filters dirt better) and sounds a tad better.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:49 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

......you know what they say about "great minds...."
They say that great minds Die Young........ j/k

I rather stay with the OEM.. for what I heard and know..the gains are minimal
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by Lontar1
They say that great minds Die Young........ j/k

I rather stay with the OEM.. for what I heard and know..the gains are minimal

i'm switching back to my stock intake and i'll modify the air box.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:38 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I've had my Injen installed for over 25,000 miles. Yes, it's a DIY. Gains are minimal (as with all intakes) but it looks better than the Frankencar/Berk and sounds great.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Had my Injen intake for about 200 miles now. I love the sound but I hate the loss of the low end. BEWARE of the loss of low end!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Had my Injen intake for about 200 miles now. I love the sound but I hate the loss of the low end. BEWARE of the loss of low end!
It doesnt feel like I lost that much on the lowend. I think I lost a little off the line "edge" (a little torque), the midrange and topend seems to have benefited somewhat from the CAI.

That said, someone here posted (another thread) a comment that holds true: a performance intake is part of a system which when coupled with headers, y-pipe and catback should come together to yield noticeable gains. (SAFCII tuning on top of that would help fine tune the setup.)
Old 08-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Z

Yesterday, NYC had absolutely no humidity in the air and the Berk intake loves that. My car was ripping on the highways and on the local road. Despite being WAI, the intakes work exceptionally well when the air outside is cold/cool or has absolutely no humidity.

Now, the proper way for our intakes to work is they have to be coupled with either a y-pipe or headers. Our initial exhaust system in the Maxima is very restrictive -- which is why we get such high gains from a y-pipe or headers. That bottle neck is more apparent once you have an intake setup. The intake is taking in more air than our stock headers/y-pipe can exhaust down. Which is why when you add a y-pipe with an intake the gains are higher than just a y-pipe alone.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:48 AM

anyone ever had a problem with the injen sucking in water? i'm talking about running over one of those big puddles that plagues new jersey when it storms, and have the intake suck in water and crap out the engine.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 AM
vsamoylov

here is a pic of my set up as well. you see guys there is no way for me to go back to the stock set up now. with this set up, i dont feel a loss in the low rpm range like some of you do. also i choose the apexi filter because it filters the best and there is no maintanence that you have to do like oil it. the only bad part about it is the replacement filter is like $75. sorry for the dirty engine bay and the flash makes the battery look a different color.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Just curious Irish, why do you consider the Injen a WAI? My intake routes all the way down to the bottom of the car. Am I missing something?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:16 PM

Just curious Irish, why do you consider the Injen a WAI? My intake routes all the way down to the bottom of the car. Am I missing something?
Because it sits right behind the radiator. Temps have been taken on the Maximas and the temp on the Injen at filter location and intake manifold show the same temps as the FrankenCar and the Berk. The Injen is also located closer to the engine than the FrankenCar and the Berk. The Place Racings temps are lower. Does the Place Racing produce more power? No!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
retired moderator

remember, the intake tube on the Injen runs right past the engine, and aluminum is an EXCELLENT conductor of heat. basically, the tube is almost like a little oven, heating up the air as it travels through the tube so that it's nice and toasty by the time it gets to the throttle body!

if they made the tubing of PVC, it would absorb much less heat than the aluminum tubing. But then it wouldn't look all shiny and pretty,,,,
Old 08-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
Because it sits right behind the radiator. Temps have been taken on the Maximas and the temp on the Injen at filter location and intake manifold show the same temps as the FrankenCar and the Berk. The Injen is also located closer to the engine than the FrankenCar and the Berk. The Place Racings temps are lower. Does the Place Racing produce more power? No!
Not on a dyno where your hood is open and a huge fan is blowing air into your engine bay. In real world driving where it actually gets hot inside the engine bay, I'm gonna go ahead and assume the Place Racing is making a little more power. Sure someone will say they have a wai and beat someone with a place racing and blah blah but there are plenty of other factors.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

remember, the intake tube on the Injen runs right past the engine, and aluminum is an EXCELLENT conductor of heat. basically, the tube is almost like a little oven, heating up the air as it travels through the tube so that it's nice and toasty by the time it gets to the throttle body!

if they made the tubing of PVC, it would absorb much less heat than the aluminum tubing. But then it wouldn't look all shiny and pretty,,,,
But the air passes through the tube so fast, I doubt it has a chance to absorb much heat from the tube....

My Injen filter is not behind the radiator. It sits more to the right as I'm looking in the engine bay. Closer to under the battery.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
But the air passes through the tube so fast, I doubt it has a chance to absorb much heat from the tube....

My Injen filter is not behind the radiator. It sits more to the right as I'm looking in the engine bay. Closer to under the battery.
true....of course, when we're talking only a few HP with any intake, there is little difference between a TRUE CAI and a WAI anyhow.....it's really all about sound and aesthetics.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Here we go again with the Injen debate...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=354282

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=353609
Old 08-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

true....of course, when we're talking only a few HP with any intake, there is little difference between a TRUE CAI and a WAI anyhow.....it's really all about sound and aesthetics.
Irish: I agree. I have been thinking about getting a Frankencar/Berk just to compare it with the Injen.

Puppet: I'd be the last one to state that one is better than the other. Debating about intakes is rather pointless IMO. People ought to get what they like best.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Pointy Elbows

I had the Injen a few years ago and now I have the Frankencar. I just wasn't comfortable with where the filter sat with the Injen. It sucked up hot air I think.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 PM
retired moderator

frankly, a GAB or OSCAI is just as good as any "name brand" intake IMHO.....intakes are really about sound and looks (kind of like mufflers )
Old 08-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DJ2Max
anyone ever had a problem with the injen sucking in water? i'm talking about running over one of those big puddles that plagues new jersey when it storms, and have the intake suck in water and crap out the engine.
I drove my Maxima (w/Injen CAI) in a deluge/deep puddles while travelling from NJ to upstate NY. No problems.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

frankly, a GAB or OSCAI is just as good as any "name brand" intake IMHO.....intakes are really about sound and looks (kind of like mufflers )
i would disagree with you there, i am pretty sure AEM dosent make an intake for the 5th gen but when Ihad my acura I put the new AEM V2 intake on and that worked sorta like a good exhaust does, it had 2 sightly different size tubes (the diamater changed) and it caused 2 different frequency air/sound waves to travel though the intake and compared to their regular intake it drastically increased low end torqe where normal CAI's robbed low end torqe

the difference between a GAB and a good CAI is prob like the difference between mandrel and crush bent exhaust tubing
Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Irish: I agree. I have been thinking about getting a Frankencar/Berk just to compare it with the Injen.

Puppet: I'd be the last one to state that one is better than the other. Debating about intakes is rather pointless IMO. People ought to get what they like best.
Save your money..... I already did it two years ago. I have a Franken and was one of the first to get their intake a couple years ago. One summer day I was sitting in mad traffic on the highway and it was roughly 99 degrees out. I pulled out of my lane to make a jont up the right and my car almost died from the heat and an 18 wheeler was coming quick.

When I got home I promptly ordered the Injen. Installed it in 15 minutes and it drove great in the summer heat. When fall came and the temps dropped I noticed that the car just didn't climb the RPMs as it used to. So, I got home and put the Franken back in. Serious difference, so much that even my wife noticed the power difference.

Sold the Injen and kept the Frankencar. I dynod the car with just the frankencar about 8 months later and put 224HP at the wheels and 232TQ. See pics: http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/190388/3

I honestly wish I still had the Injen because I got it for way cheaper than they are going for now and I would love to put it on in the summer. It did great in the summer heat, but couldn't put out in the cooler air. Run down the street sucking air through a straw then cut the straw to an inch and run back, you should notice a difference.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by dblrr900
Save your money..... I already did it two years ago. I have a Franken and was one of the first to get their intake a couple years ago. One summer day I was sitting in mad traffic on the highway and it was roughly 99 degrees out. I pulled out of my lane to make a jont up the right and my car almost died from the heat and an 18 wheeler was coming quick.

When I got home I promptly ordered the Injen. Installed it in 15 minutes and it drove great in the summer heat. When fall came and the temps dropped I noticed that the car just didn't climb the RPMs as it used to. So, I got home and put the Franken back in. Serious difference, so much that even my wife noticed the power difference.

Sold the Injen and kept the Frankencar. I dynod the car with just the frankencar about 8 months later and put 224HP at the wheels and 232TQ. See pics: http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/190388/3

I honestly wish I still had the Injen because I got it for way cheaper than they are going for now and I would love to put it on in the summer. It did great in the summer heat, but couldn't put out in the cooler air. Run down the street sucking air through a straw then cut the straw to an inch and run back, you should notice a difference.

That's pretty much what I was thinking...run the Injen in the summer and the Frankencar/Berk in the winter.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:50 AM

Sorry Tom... I shoulda put a smiley in there.... I wasn't trying to accuse you or anyone of that, but rather was just reminded of "those days" when such debates were commonplace.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Sorry Tom... I shoulda put a smiley in there.... I wasn't trying to accuse you or anyone of that, but rather was just reminded of "those days" when such debates were commonplace.
Ahhh...those were the days....hehe
Old 04-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

intake system

hello...i have a 2000 nissan maxima...im looking for a intake system i dont want cold air and i cant find a short-ram intake aka warm air....can somebody help me...i also been reading about this Frankencar intake i need help finding one thanks....

Quick Reply: FrankenCar Cold Air Intake System