5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

a/c problems! help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a/c problems! help!

2k2 max SE with Bose
so as soon as i take my car to vegas, my a.c. decides to crap out on me. here are the symptoms...

a couple weeks ago...
as soon as i turn on the fan (with the a/c on), i hear something flicker on. Similar to a fan with a piece of paper held against it. Once the "fan" gets going, it's nearly inaudible, however when it is shut off, you hear the "fan" die down audibly again. i doubt this is a good thing.

a couple days ago...
my a/c isn't cold at all. i warm up the car, drive for a couple miles, turn it to "max a/c"... nothing. still warm as the air outside. I get a refrigerant recharger (with pressure gauge) from the nearest autozone, check the pressure. seems normal. however i filler up anyway, right before the pressure says "alert". start the car again, the a/c is cool again, but still not as cool as it should be.

today...
my a/c is back to nothing. nothing cooler than the 98 degree weather outside. but NOW i hear a hiss when i turn on the a.c., Sounds like a gas leak or something.

what's my problem? compressor? pulley? if i have a leak shouldn't my pressure be low? but it's not. i have an unorthodox udp. hope this isn't causing the problem. any help would be well appreciated.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:55 PM

okay well... the fan thing seems to be unrelated to the refrigerant problem. but lets give it a shot...

Originally Posted by willkim
a couple days ago...
my a/c isn't cold at all. i warm up the car, drive for a couple miles, turn it to "max a/c"... nothing. still warm as the air outside. I get a refrigerant recharger (with pressure gauge) from the nearest autozone, check the pressure. seems normal. however i filler up anywway, right before the pressure says "alert". start the car again, the a/c is cool again, but still not as cool as it should be.
it seemed normal, but you fuc*ed with it anyway? okay... how was it normal, what was the reading. did you have a high side gauge on it? what was the engine speed with that reading? was the a/c on max?

what did you fill it up to? what pressure? how many ozs did you put in it?

today...
my a/c is back to nothing. nothing cooler than the 98 degree weather outside. but NOW i hear a hiss when i turn on the a.c., Sounds like a gas leak or something.

what's my problem? compressor? pulley? if i have a leak shouldn't my pressure be low? but it's not. i have an unorthodox udp. hope this isn't causing the problem. any help would be well appreciated.
its probably a leak, and then it was overcharged, and now its leaked out again... probably.

check the pressure again, veh idling with it on max a/c verify the compressor is engaged and bring it up to 1500 RPM if you can, ck the readings... dont add anything this time... just check.

and... buy a UV leak detection light and glasses. if the pressure is low again, youll be looking for a leak.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:00 PM

Ambient Air temp sensor maybe?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:31 PM

you mean cabin air temp sensor? could be but i think the symptoms would be a little different.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
you mean cabin air temp sensor? could be but i think the symptoms would be a little different.
You are correct, misworded my response. But I was listening to a well known car show and this issue was brought you, that is why I thought of it.....
Old 08-17-2005, 02:18 PM

its possible, but usually if the cabin temp sensor is stuck at one reading then setting the air on like the mid 70s will cause hot air to blow out.

isnt there a way to display the reading, and self test the system?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:36 PM

okay, immediately after starting the car press and hold the 'off' button for at least 5 seconds, after all the LEDs light, turn the temp dial to the right until the first digit is '5', the second digit will be '1'

prssing DEF will give you the ambient, pressing again will give you the cabin sensor, a third time will give you intake sensor. pressing again brings you back to '51'

if you turn the dial to the '3' position and wait 50 seconds, a zero shold appear next to it, which indicated the inlet and mode doors are working properly.

oging to step 2 gives you a sensor check, after 25 seconds a zero will display checking for open or shorted sensors...

i still think its a refrigerant issue, however