5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM rear suspension defective?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 03:59 PM
maxleaner

I have an SE AE 5 speed with about 2500 miles on it. Since I picked it up, I've been disappointed by noises and behaviors of the rear suspension:

1) It makes a metallic rattling noise when I go over small, but sharp bumps (like expansion joints), particularly when going around corners. I checked for loose items in the trunk (jack, spare, tools), and everything seems battened down OK. I crawled under the car and didn't see anything wrong that I could tell (had a question about exhaust system, I'll put that in another post).

2) The rear suspension seems mismatched with the front (softer). The car does not seem to behave as a unit when going over heaves or dips or uneven corners. The rear wants to waggle or bob more than I think it should.

I'd like your input. Does your car behave the same way? Has anyone had the same "problem" as me and had it fixed under warranty? Or is the only fix a suspension mod like new springs or struts or RSB or all the above? I'm guessing there might be something wrong with bushings, struts, loose mounting, or incorrect components from a non SE Max used.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 05-24-2001, 06:12 PM
Got Bent?

Could it be the rear beam suspension? The rear beam setup isn't known for having a nice smooth ride exactly.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:32 PM

I'm with you on this.

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Could it be the rear beam suspension? The rear beam setup isn't known for having a nice smooth ride exactly.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Gotta agree, the beam suspension isn't the softest. i get that thunk sound as well and just assumed it was because it was beam not a independent suspension.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:30 PM
RussMaxManiac

The noises you hear is not the suspension. It is another item that NISSAN forgot to install on the 2001's. The rear brakes are missing a few parts to keep them from rattling. After I got that fixed I had no more rattles from the rear....

Originally posted by maxleaner
I have an SE AE 5 speed with about 2500 miles on it. Since I picked it up, I've been disappointed by noises and behaviors of the rear suspension:

1) It makes a metallic rattling noise when I go over small, but sharp bumps (like expansion joints), particularly when going around corners. I checked for loose items in the trunk (jack, spare, tools), and everything seems battened down OK. I crawled under the car and didn't see anything wrong that I could tell (had a question about exhaust system, I'll put that in another post).

2) The rear suspension seems mismatched with the front (softer). The car does not seem to behave as a unit when going over heaves or dips or uneven corners. The rear wants to waggle or bob more than I think it should.

I'd like your input. Does your car behave the same way? Has anyone had the same "problem" as me and had it fixed under warranty? Or is the only fix a suspension mod like new springs or struts or RSB or all the above? I'm guessing there might be something wrong with bushings, struts, loose mounting, or incorrect components from a non SE Max used.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 05-25-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
The noises you hear is not the suspension. It is another item that NISSAN forgot to install on the 2001's. The rear brakes are missing a few parts to keep them from rattling. After I got that fixed I had no more rattles from the rear....

Are you kidding me??? WTF is wrong with this damn company.
Hey Russ can you tell us what you had fixed so that I can see if this something I might need to have done? thanks
Old 05-25-2001, 07:11 AM

Just thought I'd mention, the rear springs on SEs are stiffer. Doubt its enough to really matter though. RSBs are great for bringing that @ss into line.