5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What fuel grade do you run in your 5th gen Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 PM

What fuel grade do you run in your 5th gen Maxima?

Ok so I am sure everyone is aware fuel prices are out of control...and sorry if this has been posted before but I went 4 pages deep and didn't see anything so without a search function like every other web forum on the planet I am just going to ask the question and risk getting ridiculed/banned.

So anyway for the last 3 years ever since we have had our 2000 GLE (bone stock) I have had my wife use nothing but supreme. Well with gas prices going up as much as $0.20 per week she keeps thinking plus might be ok and will save us some money.

So if anyone here still has a stock engine...LOL...what fuel grade do you run? Have I been throwing money away running 92 octane?

Also what fuel injector cleaner do you guys use...if any? In the VW scene everyone says nothing but Chevron Tectron (sp) so that is what I use but is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 PM

please delete this thread... Look down a couple of threads and you'll get your answer.

*edit* it looks like those threads got deleted so will this one.

the answer, use premium or you wont get the performance, will get pinging and other crap.

or buy a hybrid.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:36 PM

i use the cheapest now, pinging, oh well, i dont care, i just need to get from point A to B as cheap as possible.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Driving is the next best thing

These are all the answers:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=423569
Old 08-18-2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gsumax
i use the cheapest now, pinging, oh well, i dont care, i just need to get from point A to B as cheap as possible.
Then sell the Maxima!
Old 08-18-2005, 03:59 PM

I only use supreme, why risk engine damage or performance loss with a lower fuel? I bought this car knowing it needed higher octane fuel, didn't you? The slight savings don't out weigh the safety and performance of my engine, only the best for my Max.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by 4drGTI
Ok so I am sure everyone is aware fuel prices are out of control...and sorry if this has been posted before but I went 4 pages deep and didn't see anything so without a search function like every other web forum on the planet I am just going to ask the question and risk getting ridiculed/banned.

So anyway for the last 3 years ever since we have had our 2000 GLE (bone stock) I have had my wife use nothing but supreme. Well with gas prices going up as much as $0.20 per week she keeps thinking plus might be ok and will save us some money.

So if anyone here still has a stock engine...LOL...what fuel grade do you run? Have I been throwing money away running 92 octane?

Also what fuel injector cleaner do you guys use...if any? In the VW scene everyone says nothing but Chevron Tectron (sp) so that is what I use but is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks

Don't ***** up this forum with stupid questions....this is a maxima enthsiast website...so what kind of gas we going to use THE BEST GAS WE CAN!!! common sense....and it even says it in the manuel
Old 08-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Here's how it works. You can use any grade of gas in the Max/I30 you want. The knock sensor will retard the timing if it notes ping with 89. That being said, if you use 89 octane you may get less MPG becasue of the change in the timing, and you will notice poor performance. So you save up front using 89, but your performace and MPG will suffer. In the end, since the MPG may be less with 89, you really don't save any money.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Then sell the Maxima!
why??

10char
Old 08-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

because driving a 6cyl that requires premium costs more than a 4 cylinder that requires 87. cheap as possible right?

lock this thread, and make the n00b read the stickies...
Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Need A Light?

I use 91 octane gasoline

IBTL
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

R we going back in circle? The same questions all over again.... Damn.....

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
because driving a 6cyl that requires premium costs more than a 4 cylinder that requires 87. cheap as possible right?

and btw, IBTL
Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM

motion to have a quiz regarding searching, stickies and forum ettiquitte (sp?)

must have a passing grade before being able to post...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:03 PM
MCE

I use 91 min. but Sunoco 94 is the best fuel for my ride. I agree with mass numbers, why short change your car?
MCE
Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Mass_Media™

motion to have a quiz regarding searching, stickies and forum ettiquitte (sp?)

must have a passing grade before being able to post...

I like it....have a test on all the stickies and how to use the search
Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 PM

and the spammers wont bother with it so we can reinstate (remove?) the thread starting limitations...

this is why they made me a mod on SFR...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:42 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I've had a customer bring his TL in for service with 85 octane gas in the tank- the car ran like it had 130HP at the most. You cant use anything but premium in the new TL cause of the 11:1 compression, or timing wil be retarded big time causing ALOT of performance problems.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
99 SE-L

These threads are outrageous people need to learn how to search or either open the Fuel door in your maxima and read "PREMIUM FUEL RECCOMENDED " Should say required..

Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM

I gotta hijack this thread.

How many tanks of premium gas will it take to get my car to stop knocking?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:43 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

damn you guys are cold.

you are suppose to run 91 octane but you can downgrade as long as your car doesn't knock
Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 PM

damn, i thought it was 89. I guess the next fill up is when I will start.

I just want to be sure, knocking is avery very slight jitter when the car id idle, correct.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Seriously, the difference between regular and Premium is about 4 flippen dollars for a fill up. If you are so strapped for cash you can’t afford 4$, then a Maxima is not the car for you!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

did you know?

...If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas
is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

...The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the
body to squirt blood 30 feet into the air.

...Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour. (people should try this before posting gas threads)

...An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. i'm sure that goes for some orgers too.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM

mine doesnt require premium, its special. it doesnt ask for much.

btw. are you telling me to sell my car and get a 4cyl because i cant afford gas?

good assumption big daddy
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Hey *******,

I asked a real question. If you don't know the answer, keep your prepubescent noob comments to yourself.

Originally Posted by Lethal
Seriously, the difference between regular and Premium is about 4 flippen dollars for a fill up. If you are so strapped for cash you can’t afford 4$, then a Maxima is not the car for you!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by BP
...If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas
is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

...The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the
body to squirt blood 30 feet into the air.

...Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour. (people should try this before posting gas threads)

...An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. i'm sure that goes for some orgers too.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:13 PM

i didn't even know they sold 85 octane...sorry for the bump lol LOCK IT ALREADY
Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 PM

I used 116 octane, SERIOUSLY. 10+whp.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:39 PM

do that ^^ if you need money so bad...but please, treat the maxima like what it is, not like a civic...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:54 PM

Did anyone actually read my post or only the title? I looked down 4 pages and saw 1 single thread that said anything about fuel and it wasn't related.

Honestly this is one of the most juvenile and hostile web forums I have ever been on.

Did you read the part where I said I have told my wife since day one to use nothing but supreme?

A nearly 10% jump in gas prices isn't trivial and for those of us that are working families and mommy and daddy aren't paying for our next turbo, sometimes money is a concern.

Since I am clearly not going to bother with any posts here in the future because all that happens is the user gets flamed is there a technical forum where the Maxima is discussed in a civil manner by adults?

I don't know how you get it but the search function doesn't work for me. If I have to pay for that service then there is no chance in he!! that is ever going to happen due to the quality of the individuals that post here and the rarity of the issues we have had with our Maxima (wonderful car).

So all the answer had to be was I use 92 octane or higher and don't use anything less. If you see a thread with a title that you know has been recycled over and over don't read it...and don't post in it. If you do that it will quickly fall off the board and you don't have to look at it.

Anyone care to comment on the fuel injector cleaner question?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:01 PM

Did anyone actually read my post or only the title? I looked down 4 pages and saw 1 single thread that said anything about fuel and it wasn't related.

Honestly this is one of the most juvenile and hostile web forums I have ever been on.

Did you read the part where I said I have told my wife since day one to use nothing but supreme?

A nearly 10% jump in gas prices isn't trivial and for those of us that are working families and mommy and daddy aren't paying for our next turbo, sometimes money is a concern.

Since I am clearly not going to bother with any posts here in the future because all that happens is the user gets flamed is there a technical forum where the Maxima is discussed in a civil manner by adults?

I don't know how you get it but the search function doesn't work for me. If I have to pay for that service then there is no chance in he!! that is ever going to happen due to the quality of the individuals that post here and the rarity of the issues we have had with our Maxima (wonderful car).

So all the answer had to be was I use 92 octane or higher and don't use anything less. If you see a thread with a title that you know has been recycled over and over don't read it...and don't post in it. If you do that it will quickly fall off the board and you don't have to look at it.

Yes we did happen to read the first post, and to us, it sounded like you were doubting whether you should be using premium grade fuel or not.....i wonder where we possibly could have gotten that idea... also, you said yourself in the original post:
I am just going to ask the question and risk getting ridiculed/banned.
again, to me that indicates that you should have suspected a little bashing because of your rediculous post that could be answered by using the google search located in the stickies...if you can't take a little maxima.org internet bashing, then maybe you have some serious confidence issues that you need to work out on your own time...probably everyone on here has been bashed a time or two including myself, but not many people let it get to them like you did....just take it easy and a lot of what people said were harmless jokes...get over it...

EDIT: and also, this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=423863 has been on the first page ever since you created yours so don't play dumb...it explains why not to use anything less than premium grade...i think that pertains to your original topic quite well...
Old 08-19-2005, 06:13 PM

To keep the cost of fuel down you can do what I do. Run 93, 89,87 in that order and repeat. You end up with an average octane in the tank if you fill it up at 1/2 or 1/4 tank. Or, just run the middle grade each time and you should be fine.

As far as fuel injector cleaners go, my opinion is if you use a brand gasoline with a good fuel cleaning package you shouldn't have to use it. Others may not agree however.

As far as how people answer questions here, they sometimes do go crazy when questions about fuel are asked. Another good one is if you ask which intake is better. That really gets them going.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:26 PM

i run diesel
Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by sascuderi
To keep the cost of fuel down you can do what I do. Run 93, 89,87 in that order and repeat. You end up with an average octane in the tank if you fill it up at 1/2 or 1/4 tank. Or, just run the middle grade each time and you should be fine.

As far as fuel injector cleaners go, my opinion is if you use a brand gasoline with a good fuel cleaning package you shouldn't have to use it. Others may not agree however.

As far as how people answer questions here, they sometimes do go crazy when questions about fuel are asked. Another good one is if you ask which intake is better. That really gets them going.
Hey thanks for the direct, simple and mature answer to my questions. Much appreciated.

Now see if that was the first reply and no one else replied ot the thread I would have my answer and you guys wouldn't have to see this post anymore.

HEY MODS FEEL FREE TO LOCK THIS THREAD OR DELETE OR WHATEVER.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:50 AM
Banned

I have been using 93 since new....still do..I know I could use 91 but its only a few cents difference most places. Last fill up was $2.61, nexxt one im looking at $2.74
Old 08-20-2005, 07:06 AM

To help you out for next time:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...59&postcount=3

There's a lot of crap to sift through on this site. At this stage, it's nearly impossible to post a thread and not get attacked by someone for not knowing something or where to find it. I usually find what I'm looking for when I the site without starting a thread and sifting through opinion to get the information I request.

On the other side, there IS a lot of repeat on this site and it is frustrating to see-which is why people attack, especially if it's two or three posts down. I know I am tiring of the fuel threads, as there have been at least three in the last week. PM someone, it'll get you a more direct answer.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:30 AM

Hey thanks for the direct, simple and mature answer to my questions. Much appreciated.

Now see if that was the first reply and no one else replied ot the thread I would have my answer and you guys wouldn't have to see this post anymore.

HEY MODS FEEL FREE TO LOCK THIS THREAD OR DELETE OR WHATEVER.
to think..this guy had the audacity to start this terrible thread, then get annoyed when we respond the way that we should, and then he wants the thread closed
Old 08-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Alot of us are working families. Some families make more money than others. Regardless of that, we make family decisions like car purchases based on our income level and make sure that the car isn't going to interfere with daily concerns such as food, mortgage, rent, etc. Your always going to have the unexpected car repair. If $6-8 dollars a week extra for unexepected gas prices is strapping you for cash, perhaps the proper decision should have been to buy a car that's more affodable for you and yours. There are many more affordable and reliable cars that cost significantly less than the Maxima. Example a Hyundai Sonata. Great car and it doesn't require premium fuel. I personally don't like being berated because you made a poor financial decision. Knowing that gas prices can rise like this in the future, I suggest you look for a more affordable car that will run reliably on 87 octane fuel. Running 87 in your Maxima wouldn't be responsible because it COULD possibly cause expensive repairs sometime down the road putting more financial strain on your family.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:46 AM

^^ a much better person than me

Quick Reply: What fuel grade do you run in your 5th gen Maxima?