5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cleared HID's today.....WHEW, finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Cleared HID's today.....WHEW, finally!!

Well, this week was my annual state inspection and for inspection purposes, I had to put those ugly halogen headlamps back in. (For those who might not know, when converting the HID's to the '00-'01 models, the high beams stay on with the low beams, because of the headlight ground wiring issues in the '00-'01 models). So, while I had the HID's out of the car, I cleared the turn signal lens. This mod was not hard at all. If you take your time, it wil run smoothly without any problems. For those who are afraid to put these expensive lights in the oven, don't be...just keep the temp. around 200-225 degrees for 15 min. and it will slowly seperate. I can't wait to put them back on the car!! I just finished the driver's side and working on the passenger's side as I post this (it's in the oven baking...). Here is a pic of the final product. I'll post more pics when I install them on the car.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I want to do it but .. with my luck I will melt the suckers...... but one of thses days I'll do it. Very nice
Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
No More Maxipad

oh nice...when you took out that orange piece there's a clear piece behind it? or did you replace it with something else?
Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
DONE

i've had mine apart i think like 3 times now. it's easy. they look so much better cleared. very nice work there defintly get some pics on the car
Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
I want to do it but .. with my luck I will melt the suckers...... but one of thses days I'll do it. Very nice
You should really go for it, it would look really nice on the car and if your worried about melting them you dont have to keep them in the oven for too long. Mine were in the oven for only 5 mins. Good Luck
Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Maxima Fanatic

They look 10x better cleared. Post pics installed!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
oh nice...when you took out that orange piece there's a clear piece behind it? or did you replace it with something else?
When u take out the orange blinker you buy malibu lights from Home Depot cut them out and use it as a replacement for the orange blinker.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Z

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Well, this week was my annual state inspection and for inspection purposes, I had to put those ugly halogen headlamps back in. (For those who might not know, when converting the HID's to the '00-'01 models, the high beams stay on with the low beams, because of the headlight ground wiring issues in the '00-'01 models).
Is this true? That's the first I've heard of this. I think that only happens if you don't use the 02/03 harness.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
vsamoylov

sweet lights man. post pics of them on the car. by the wya, i just moved to pa. what consist of the inspection?

Old 08-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Is this true? That's the first I've heard of this. I think that only happens if you don't use the 02/03 harness.
Yes, you have to use the '02-'03 harness. That is the only way you can get the bulbs to work. The headlight wiring is different in the '00-'01 models, especially the grounding because the '00-'01 halogens have the dual filament bulbs. It will take alot of modifiying with the wires to make it work like the '02-'03's. I only have the service manual for my car, not the '02-'03's. It's just messing with the relays and everything which is not worth the time (for me, anyways) to even try to wire these up correctly. I don't use the high beams that much anyway. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
I replaced it with the Malibu lens from Home Depot. If you cut it slightly bigger than the stock orange piece, it will fit nice and snug without any glueing.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
sweet lights man. post pics of them on the car. by the wya, i just moved to pa. what consist of the inspection?
Just all the normal safety issues. Since my HID's were wired in a way where the high beams stay on with the low beams (I don't know any other way around this, if anybody else knows, please let me know), I knew I would fail so I had to put the halogens back in. Also, some places are strict on the tint, especially anything lower than 35%.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Lontar1
my advice: do it...this was basically my first experiance with any kind of DIY mod (besides the really easy stuff) and i did it fine....they will definitely not melt in the oven...i had it in for 210* for 15 minutes then an additional 5 and they weren't even close to melting....it's really an easy thing to do...

look at my how-to here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/695690/5 Although the pictures suck, i don't think i left any small detail out, which helps a lot....
Old 08-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Does anyone sell them like that?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 PM

I may have to do this finally tomorrow... anyone remember the part # I need to buy at home depot? I think it might be in Housecor's how-to...
Old 08-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SHAWN82
Does anyone sell them like that?
tap plastics does, but they are frosted and definitely don't look as good...it really isn't any trouble to dremel it out of the malibu housings though...that part was probably the easiest...i would definitely recommend these, though, because they match the clearance lens really well...

Originally Posted by djsoniq
I may have to do this finally tomorrow... anyone remember the part # I need to buy at home depot? I think it might be in Housecor's how-to...
2 malibu 11 watt sealed beams P/N:ML11P2 (found at home depot in a pack of two in the outdoor lighting section) look here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/695690/5
Old 08-24-2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by djsoniq
Yeah, just go the outside lighting dept. They are in a box on a shelf marked Malibu #ML11P2 (11 Watt Beam). The price was $8.95 for the pair. Oooops, I see maxilvr06 already beat me to the answer.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Play with my balls

Actually, I kinda like a "no lens" look to it. When I did mine I just took the orange lens out and that was it. It seems to flow better with the whole housing and matches the headlights better. IMO

The Malibu lens is nice to, but without a lens I feel gives it a more modern euro look minus the cheesy-ness. Of course I had to get the chrome bulb to get this clear effect.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Actually, I kinda like a "no lens" look to it. When I did mine I just took the orange lens out and that was it. It seems to flow better with the whole housing and matches the headlights better. IMO

The Malibu lens is nice to, but without a lens I feel gives it a more modern euro look minus the cheesy-ness. Of course I had to get the chrome bulb to get this clear effect.

that looks hot also. by the way are thos ssr gt3s? must have cost you a preety penny for them.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:36 PM

Yeah, that looks hot, also. Where did you get the chrome bulb? I've been trying all over the web and they seem quite expensive chromed out. I also heard that sometimes the cheaper ones tend to flake the chrome off after a while and lay inside the lens. Is this true? I may just buy the LED #7440 amber bulbs.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 PM

btw, i got a 5 led 168 bulb to go in the parking light. it has 1 pointing out, and 4 pointing sideways to scatter the light. looks awsome. better looking light output than a regular incandecent light. i also stuck 4 led 194s in the clears installed a few days ago. i will post pix a little later. waiting on led for reverse light, and chrome bulbs for clearing turn signals.
anyway, the point of this reply. get the 5 led, or any kind of led for parking lights, they look waaay better than stock incandecent, and better than the "blue" aftermarket incandecent.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Pointy Elbows

When I did mine last summer with the help of ZIPPIN, I used the Malibu lense too. Also got chrome bulbs that blink amber, for the signals. I think I bought them from autoillumination.com. Don't really remember. I wish I would've had time to paint the housings black too.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Why cant anyone in SoCal do this, Im terrified. You guys make it sound easy.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
No More Maxipad

ya if someone in so cal can help do it that'll be nice i'm really bad in diy's
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 PM

That looks sweet. I'm thinking about trying it, but i'm still a little shook up from sticing my clear corners in the oven and melting them. DOH!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
that looks hot also. by the way are thos ssr gt3s? must have cost you a preety penny for them.
thanks......
wish, those are pretty high dollar. they're Privat Profil (Konig's Luxury Line)
Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Play with my balls

Yeah, that looks hot, also. Where did you get the chrome bulb? I've been trying all over the web and they seem quite expensive chromed out. I also heard that sometimes the cheaper ones tend to flake the chrome off after a while and lay inside the lens. Is this true? I may just buy the LED #7440 amber bulbs.

www.autolumination.com

they're fairly priced here for a bulb that was chrome, and you can choose what color light it emmits....white or amber. I've had these in for almost a year, no flaking here. the ebay ones might be the cheap ones. they blink nice, thanks for the comp.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Play with my balls

[QUOTE=00MaxSE]I wish I would've had time to paint the housings black too.[/OUOTE]

Pretty tedious prep work, but worth the effort.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Snolife
Why cant anyone in SoCal do this, Im terrified. You guys make it sound easy.

Send me your lights, I'll do it for 50.00....i'll paint/dde/clear if you want.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by bremner44
That looks sweet. I'm thinking about trying it, but i'm still a little shook up from sticing my clear corners in the oven and melting them. DOH!
Don't be scaaared. (lol). It's almost impossible to melt these lights unless you keep in them in the oven over an hour or something. Keeping the temp. less than 250 degrees will guarantee that. All I did was lay a wet towel over a cookie sheet and place the light on top of that. Left it in the oven for about 20 minutes. (I didn't even use gloves to take it out!) Popped the top edge of the headlight with a thin screwdriver and then seperated the rest by hand. The light will be quite warm to touch, but not too hot to get scorched. I used my bare hands. You just have to work real quick, because once the glue starts to cool, it hardens very quickly. And voila (sp.?), your done!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:21 AM

www.autolumination.com

they're fairly priced here for a bulb that was chrome, and you can choose what color light it emmits....white or amber. I've had these in for almost a year, no flaking here. the ebay ones might be the cheap ones. they blink nice, thanks for the comp.
Good looking out...I'll place an order today!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 AM

Just all the normal safety issues. Since my HID's were wired in a way where the high beams stay on with the low beams (I don't know any other way around this, if anybody else knows, please let me know), I knew I would fail so I had to put the halogens back in. Also, some places are strict on the tint, especially anything lower than 35%.

Whats wrong with that? Mine do the same thing, Stock.

James
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by jimmycapp
Whats wrong with that? Mine do the same thing, Stock.

James
Are you serious? I never heard of a car being made with headlight wiring to have the low beams AND the high beams stay on at the same time. This would be considered dangerous for oncoming traffic (blinding them with too much light). High beams are supposed to be wired in a way where once they are illuninated, it cuts off the low beams, same with the fogs. Why do you think us Nissan owners have to do the fog light re-wire? (If one chooses to set up their car that way).
Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 AM

When i have my low beams on, i have the option of having my fogs on and the highbeam bulbs cannot be lit. When I put on my Hibeams, the foglights go out and the Hid's stay on. Just to clarify. Is this what were talking about?

High beams are not supposed to be on when there is on coming traffic, with low beams or without.

James
Old 08-25-2005, 05:16 AM

That looks so sick...i just got to grow the b@lls to do it to my car.....
Old 08-25-2005, 09:39 AM

Yes, you have to use the '02-'03 harness. That is the only way you can get the bulbs to work. The headlight wiring is different in the '00-'01 models, especially the grounding because the '00-'01 halogens have the dual filament bulbs. It will take alot of modifiying with the wires to make it work like the '02-'03's. I only have the service manual for my car, not the '02-'03's. It's just messing with the relays and everything which is not worth the time (for me, anyways) to even try to wire these up correctly. I don't use the high beams that much anyway. Thanks for the compliments.
incorrect, i actually did this with a electician the other day since i didn't have high beams for roughly 4 months and now my state inspection is up. he toldme the whole wiring set up is FACTORY GROUNDED which means there aren't any ground wires. you are confusing that with the high beam switch. that is why it shuts off/on when you switch the beams. i wired my headlights all spliced, no harness, and it works like a factory 5.5 gen. and actually, 1 out of the 3 wires for our headlights weren't even USED for the conversion, and i taped that up.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:02 AM

Are you serious? I never heard of a car being made with headlight wiring to have the low beams AND the high beams stay on at the same time. This would be considered dangerous for oncoming traffic (blinding them with too much light). High beams are supposed to be wired in a way where once they are illuninated, it cuts off the low beams, same with the fogs. Why do you think us Nissan owners have to do the fog light re-wire? (If one chooses to set up their car that way).
you are supposed to turn your high beams OFF when there is oncoming traffic....if your lows turned off every time you switched on the highs, it would significantly decrease the life of the low beams because they are not supposed to be constantly switched on and off...welcome to HIDs....
Old 08-25-2005, 01:38 PM

Ok, maybe I was so used to having the halogens (the dual filament bulb of low beam and high beam) only one beam worked independently at a time. I thought the HID's were supposed to operate the same. So, after all that, I DID have the HID's wired correctly the whole time. I thought is was a state law in my state that the low beams and high beams cannot operate at the same. Oh, well, at least I got one good thing out of this....clearing the turn signal lens!

Thanks.....
Jimmycapp
00maxSE
maxilvr06
....and everyone else!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:40 PM

Instead of the oven, would I be able to use my heat gun? Or would it be easier to just toss it in the oven?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Z

Wait, wait.I'm confused here. MIXXMAX: Are you saying that in order for your 2K2/2K3 HIDs to work, you have to keep the high beam lever (the switch itself) pushed back into the "on" position at all times? Or are you saying that when you turn on the high beams, your HIDs stay on?

Quick Reply: Cleared HID's today.....WHEW, finally!!