5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen Short Throw Shifter for the '03

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Stillen Short Throw Shifter for the '03

I'm not sure how long its been available, but I just checked out the updated Stillen website and saw that they now carry a Short Throw Shifter for the '02-'05. Has any of you installed one of these on your Max, and if so, what's your opinion on it? I'd appreciate an input 'cause I really hate the notchy stock shifter.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

If you mean this one...

...that's for the Altima. There isn't one available for the '02-'05 Maxima yet from Stillen.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM

No, that doesn't look like the one on the Stillen website. Besides. it specifically indicates, "2ND GEN SHORT SHIFTER 02-05 MAXIMA / ALTIMA / SENTRA 2.0L, 2.5L (37% REDUCTION) ". Check it out for yourself: http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_pr...cat=194&dsbp=1
Old 09-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Only 5.5 Gen in CO?

Try the cattman short shifter kit. That is what I have and I like it pretty good. It was like 150 +shipping. Call Brian catts and get the info. It is shortened links, not a shortened shifter.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by YAMATOSOUL
I'm not sure how long its been available, but I just checked out the updated Stillen website and saw that they now carry a Short Throw Shifter for the '02-'05. Has any of you installed one of these on your Max, and if so, what's your opinion on it? I'd appreciate an input 'cause I really hate the notchy stock shifter.

I have the second gen sts which is a two piece model. One piece is under the hood and other is on the shifter. This does shorten the throw. The first gen was one piece but placed the shifter forward. The second gen corrected this by placing the shifter in the original position(centered it). This does not take the "notchy" shifting away whatso ever. In my case, it did take the so called grinding feeling from 2nd to 3rd gear away. There is a second gen sts for sale in the "for sale" section. A very easy install.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by DuceyduceSE
Try the cattman short shifter kit. That is what I have and I like it pretty good. It was like 150 +shipping. Call Brian catts and get the info. It is shortened links, not a shortened shifter.
thats the one i have. the exact same one as stillen for cheaper. got mine plus bushings shipped for $160
Old 09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by zachary1988
This does not take the "notchy" shifting away whatso ever.
the bushings reduce that alot. its still there but the shifter is stiffer and doesnt feel so "sloppy"
Old 09-07-2005, 05:36 PM
vsamoylov

anybody have pics of the cattman version?

Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
anybody have pics of the cattman version?
its not on their website cause its actually made by watkins manufacturing

this is it -

right piece goes on tranny side and left piece goes on shifter side
Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TWM has one too... its one piece and is cheaper, not sure how well it works though, since no one has given any feedback on it just yet....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422393
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 PM
vsamoylov

yeah people that have the TWM one, please post feedback. which one gives the shortest throw?

Old 09-08-2005, 05:53 AM

sombody recently installed es shifter bushings. i dont remember if its for a 5spd or a 6spd tranny, but how difficult was the install? my shifter is notcy as h3ll, and i would really like to change this.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
sombody recently installed es shifter bushings. i dont remember if its for a 5spd or a 6spd tranny, but how difficult was the install? my shifter is notcy as h3ll, and i would really like to change this.
Soonerfan did... along with the Cattman/Wadkins STS... its much smoother now and less notchy....
Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
TWM has one too... its one piece and is cheaper, not sure how well it works though, since no one has given any feedback on it just yet....

i just ordered one, and it should be here monday or tuesday. i will post pix and reviews when it comes.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:10 AM

i just ordered one, and it should be here monday or tuesday. i will post pix and reviews when it comes.

Been thinking about it myself... just yet to pull the trigger... considering SR20DEN's homemade STS as well....
Old 09-08-2005, 06:27 AM

yeah, i thought about drilling a hole, and relocating the pivot myself, but did not have the nerve to permanently mod the car like that. twm is in montreal, so it may be $109 in canadian dollars, i will see what it translates to on my credit card into us$.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:01 AM

yeah, i thought about drilling a hole, and relocating the pivot myself, but did not have the nerve to permanently mod the car like that. twm is in montreal, so it may be $109 in canadian dollars, i will see what it translates to on my credit card into us$.
I believe they convert it into USD when they post here....
Old 09-08-2005, 08:02 AM

lol, of course they would... canadian wh0res.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster

that one shortens the throw but the whole shifter is tilted forward. the second piece in the one i have puts it back where it belongs
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
that one shortens the throw but the whole shifter is tilted forward. the second piece in the one i have puts it back where it belongs
Well, in their post, TWM says that it "won't displace the shifter inside the car", whatever that means.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Need A Light?

wut up JOEL! u should definitely "try" out the homemade STS before u pull the trigger....it won't hurt to try it out for a few days....going back to stock only takes 2 minutes...granted theres no way to revert back (theres a hole in the shifting mechanism), but it won't affect the structural rigidity...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:20 PM

Actually, TWM has redesigned their STS for the 02-03 Maxima and claims that their new piece does shorten the throw and retains the location of the shifter. This is what Karel at TWM wrote me:

"With the new generation of our shifter, only one adapter is needed and the
location of the stock shifter is retained. Some of our competitors use 2
adapters, one in the engine bay to re-locate the pin, and another inside
the car to correct the shifter position, wheras our design only requires
one adapter".

Also as originally posted by "YAMATOSOUL", the second gen STS that are floating around are apparently designed by a person who works for Watkins Mfg(fast-shift.com). The reason I say this is because I purchased the second gen STS for my 02 Maxima from Active Tuning and looks exactly the same as Stillen and Watkins. To make a long story short, when I put in the STS, I added an extra washer which I didn't know and made it shift very hard. I emailed Active Tuning and someone(cannot recall the name) called me and stated that he was the designer of the STS and told me what the problem was and resolved it.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:54 PM

I put on the TWM shifter, and it moves it forward about 1.25". What does the second piece of cattman shifter look like?
I imagine the pieice that goes in the engine bay, moves the pivot point on both twm and cattman shifter, but the second piece the the key.
Can you take pix of what it loox like, and maybe i can make one myself, and put in on my car?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Cletus

I put on the TWM shifter, and it moves it forward about 1.25". What does the second piece of cattman shifter look like?
I imagine the pieice that goes in the engine bay, moves the pivot point on both twm and cattman shifter, but the second piece the the key.
Can you take pix of what it loox like, and maybe i can make one myself, and put in on my car?
look at my post above (#9)
Old 09-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Hey there. I'm really interested in this due to how sloppy shifting is and how long the throw is. Can you guys point me to the thread about the bushings (i'm a noob when it comes to cars and have no idea what you're talking about).

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:02 AM

Call Brian Catts at Cattman and get the 2 piece STS from him. You can get the Energy Suspension shifter bushings there as well. They are made of denser material than OEM, and make shifting more precise. I think the STS is about 160, and bushings about 20. Here is Brian's number: 520.730.93098.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:04 AM

Call Brian Catts at Cattman and get the 2 piece STS from him. You can get the Energy Suspension shifter bushings there as well. They are made of denser material than OEM, and make shifting more precise. I think the STS is about 160, and bushings about 20. Here is Brian's number: 520.730.93098.
Does this mean that you don't like your TWM? Did you get a new shifter bushing for it?

Btw, I think Brian was doing STS + bushings for $160.... just tell him you're from the .Org.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
wut up JOEL! u should definitely "try" out the homemade STS before u pull the trigger....it won't hurt to try it out for a few days....going back to stock only takes 2 minutes...granted theres no way to revert back (theres a hole in the shifting mechanism), but it won't affect the structural rigidity...
I'm gonna do it as soon as I find some time.... been real busy lately.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Play with my balls

Go free or go broke.......if you don't like it you can revert back and use the old post. you won't damage anything. its funny to see some complain about spending so much on mods in other threads, then there's something out there that works the same and cost nothing, but still they spend money on the other competition. i just don't get it sometimes.....

i've had my free sts in for a while, and there has been Zero detrimental effects to my shifter, transmission, or the way it drives. good luck on your decisions.

http://norcal.maxima.org/showthread....light=free+sts
Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 AM

I'd really like to getrid of the notchiness. Is there a way to do this with the "free" mod? How much better is the notchiness with the Cattman mod? I'd think it would be worth it *if* I can get rid of some of it.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by WxAxGxS
I'd really like to getrid of the notchiness. Is there a way to do this with the "free" mod? How much better is the notchiness with the Cattman mod? I'd think it would be worth it *if* I can get rid of some of it.

Thanks!
I haven't tried this yet, but hope to in the near future. I've heard that the ES bushings for the 6-spd will help quite a bit with the notchiness. Someone with experience please chime in to give your review.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by zachary1988
Also as originally posted by "YAMATOSOUL", the second gen STS that are floating around are apparently designed by a person who works for Watkins Mfg(fast-shift.com). The reason I say this is because I purchased the second gen STS for my 02 Maxima from Active Tuning and looks exactly the same as Stillen and Watkins. To make a long story short, when I put in the STS, I added an extra washer which I didn't know and made it shift very hard. I emailed Active Tuning and someone(cannot recall the name) called me and stated that he was the designer of the STS and told me what the problem was and resolved it.
Guys, I've posted this before, but since no one searches before posting - here's the scoop.

The Stillen STS, the Cattman STS, the HP Autoworks STS, the Mossy Performance STS, the Active Tuning STS, and the Fast-Shift.com STS...

ARE ALL THE SAME!!

They are all made by Watkins Manufacturing - and the person who called you was Steve Watkins - the owner. FYI - he's the only person - there isn't anyone that works for him.

TWM is the only unique STS manufacturer out there - and theirs came out AFTER the Watkin's one (and looked lot cheaper - Steve uses a very high grade aluminum for his - higher than the standard "aircraft grade" aluminum - which is what TWM uses)
Old 09-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I haven't tried this yet, but hope to in the near future. I've heard that the ES bushings for the 6-spd will help quite a bit with the notchiness. Someone with experience please chime in to give your review.
i installed the bushings at the same time as the STS and they worked wonders. they dont eliminate alot of the notchiness but they do make the shifts tighter. the stock shifter is very sloppy and loose.
there are two that you put on either end of the shift linkage (where the linkage connects to the STS. those made the biggest diffirence cause they are solid rubber. the other four go under the white plastic piece the shifter base is in. the bushings "connect" everything to the car in a more solid way.
i can take pictures of everything if people want.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
Guys, I've posted this before, but since no one searches before posting - here's the scoop.

The Stillen STS, the Cattman STS, the HP Autoworks STS, the Mossy Performance STS, the Active Tuning STS, and the Fast-Shift.com STS...

ARE ALL THE SAME!!

They are all made by Watkins Manufacturing - and the person who called you was Steve Watkins - the owner. FYI - he's the only person - there isn't anyone that works for him.

TWM is the only unique STS manufacturer out there - and theirs came out AFTER the Watkin's one (and looked lot cheaper - Steve uses a very high grade aluminum for his - higher than the standard "aircraft grade" aluminum - which is what TWM uses)
you are correct..i got mine from cattman but i know its Watkins Manufacturing. see my sig
Old 09-23-2005, 02:18 PM

I'd really appreciate it if you could take pics... I'm a noob to cars, but am trying to learn.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by WxAxGxS
I'd really appreciate it if you could take pics... I'm a noob to cars, but am trying to learn.

Thanks!
ok cool. its almost dark here so i'll take some tomorrow (while im taking pics of the tint in getting tomorrow morning )
i'll even label the pics to show everyone where the bushings go.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:53 PM

ok cool. its almost dark here so i'll take some tomorrow (while im taking pics of the tint in getting tomorrow morning )
i'll even label the pics to show everyone where the bushings go.
You ever get those pictures taken?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 PM
jsilverton

lol, of course they would... canadian wh0res.
So that's how it is then eh!!!!!! puss?

Anyway, I'd check e-bay there are some nice billet pieces for far less that will do the same job as those overpriced big name units.

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2005, 12:58 PM

nah. the only one i found is from fast-shift.com. which is the same exact one sold by 3 other companies, just using their own name. i chalked it up as a loss and purchased the second piece from cattman that goes inside the car. had i known that it would be such a pain with thte twm shifter, and i would have to spend extra for the second peiece, i would have drilled the freakig hole for free.
lying pos company. they even told me in person, on the phone that it would not displace the shifter. bah...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 PM

nah. the only one i found is from fast-shift.com. which is the same exact one sold by 3 other companies, just using their own name. i chalked it up as a loss and purchased the second piece from cattman that goes inside the car. had i known that it would be such a pain with thte twm shifter, and i would have to spend extra for the second peiece, i would have drilled the freakig hole for free.
lying pos company. they even told me in person, on the phone that it would not displace the shifter.
bah...
If that is true, then you need to make that known.... so that others won't find out the hard way, like you did. Post your experience in their thread or something.