5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Setting up a meeting with a paint inspector

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 03:50 PM

and I was wondering if any of you still have one of those pamphlets that have the comment about the paint being tested with diamonds. If anybody does and can scan it and send me the pic, I want to take it with me to the meeting when I get it.

I have spent the last 2 days (and I'll finish tomorrow) putting on multiple coats of Zaino on my car (3 of the Z-5 and 2 of the Z-2) and have found so many flaws under the clear coat. In direct sunlight, you can see some lines that look like if you were to take a wet towel across a dirty part of the car and let it dry - you see all the streaks and the lines and stuff - that's what it looks like under my clear coat. It looks like you can wipe it off, but then when you try, you see it's under the clear coat. It looks like ****. Plus with the constellation on my hood and bumper and I don't drive behind trucks and I don't live or work around construction and I make sure bug guts don't sit on it, there's no excuse for this. I have already filled out my complaint on nissanpaint.com, but am calling my dealer on Tuesday to set up a meeting with the paint inspector. When the meeting comes (probably in about a month), I want to be armed with the false advertising of that pamphlet.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2001, 08:45 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I also have lines UNDER the clear...

I met the inpector last year.. he gave me a very lowball quote to fix. No shop would paint a hood and two fenders for $380. at least not a good job.

I choose to wait, hell I didnt want a 3 month old car 1/2 repainted. Resale free fall!!

Nissan closed the case promising to give me some scheduled MX, like the 15 and 30K checkups... Whoopty Friggen Dooo. Not impressed.

now, I have clear actually peeling off in the rear wheel arch. So, I've been waiting 2 weeks for my second meeting. It takes awhile here because that crappy @ss paint appearently keeps him very busy.

I'm going to push for an entire repaint. However, I might chicken out. A repainted car? I dont know. the thought makes me ill..
Old 05-27-2001, 09:09 PM

Re: I also have lines UNDER the clear...

Since my lines are all over, I too am going to push for a total re-paint, but why does the thought make you ill? I doubt I will since I have 18k on my car, but if I do get a good credit or a total repaint, I would get the 3m clear bra so I'm hoping for it. But my hopes aren't too high because I know the reality of the situation.
Old 05-27-2001, 09:23 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I too have lines all over...

I have lines from bumper to bumper on both sides, EXCEPT for the doors. the doors are flawless. I suppose the doors are painted off the car.

I am at a loss as to why they would only paint the front. I could hardly see the lines in the rear so I didnt freak about it. My hood and fenders are pretty whack, for lack of a better word.

I had my trunk keyed a few months back and the best nissan dealer in the area did a horrible job repairing it. and they are clearly the best in the state. I realize now, that they are probably used to doing jobs for very little money (what nissan pays).

I brought up the fact that I didnt get $550 worth of paint work (just for the top of the trunk!) and they redid it to my satisfaction, but it left me gun shy thinking about the doing a whole car like that.

to review. an anarchy symbol scratched into my trunk lid cost $500+ to fix... but Nissan would only pay $380 for the entire front of the car. Hmmmm, what kinda job do you think I'll get?

Actually, you cant expect a real pro job for $380.
Old 05-27-2001, 09:47 PM

Re: I too have lines all over...

Good points. Thanks for the info.

As part of the bumper TSB, my delaer actually paid to ahve my bumper repainted. They don't have a body shop - they contract with a local shop who does all the paint and body work for them. It sucks because if you have any of that crap, you have to take your car into the dealer, wait and all that junk and then you ahve to wait until the local body shope can fit you in - so it always toakes at least 2 trips to get that crap done.

But...the work they did on my rear bumper was amazing. Very reflective and deep and it matches very well (doesn't look new while the other is faded or anything). As part of another problem, I had a huge gash in my rear bumper that I did myself. It was taken out as part of the repaint and the whole bumper looks brand new. So, at least that's good. We'll see what happens. I don't even have my appointment yet so it's still probably 6 - 8 weeks off before I can even meet with that person. So, we'll see.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:16 PM

argh.. my moms honda odyssey with 13000 miles.. not a single scratch!! and heres me, with 8000, more scratches then there is dust particles.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:18 PM

After the rust problem on my hood is fixed.
I'm getting a total repaint job.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by yongjun
After the rust problem on my hood is fixed.
I'm getting a total repaint job.
u kan buy me one too.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:21 PM

,jhlj

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

u kan buy me one too.

nah you go sell your own drugs to buy your mods
Old 05-27-2001, 11:23 PM

Re: ,jhlj

nah you go sell your own drugs to buy your mods
nah i'll go ask my corner ladies to bring me back some dough.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:23 PM

adf

Old 05-27-2001, 11:24 PM

Re: adf

who said that!??!
Old 05-27-2001, 11:29 PM

Re: Re: adf

jOO mama
Old 05-27-2001, 11:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: adf

jOO mama
joo bunny
Old 05-27-2001, 11:30 PM

plo

You leave my alone
Old 05-27-2001, 11:31 PM

Re: plo

You leave my alone
Old 05-29-2001, 10:25 AM

I have more nasty swirls on my black 2K than any black car I have ever seen... glad I'm going to have it paid and ready for trade in .. 2003