5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how to get rid of rust under window trim?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 05:42 AM

how to get rid of rust under window trim?

A portion of my left rear door is getting rusty, near the trim of the window.
as you can see in the picture, it looks like its rusted under the trim. is there a way I can take the trims off to buff/paint and put them back?

Picture of rust!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To take that small glass out you might have to take the door panel of to access a screw that holds that rail (maybe if you unscrew the top screw alone you might get it out) Put your window down, pull out the rubber that goes along the top of the door and unscrew the little those screws and one on in the top right corner if your looking at the door from inside the car. Take the trim out. The bottom trim also has a screw that you access by removing a black sticker (also on the right side if looking from inside the car. Then gently work the trim out by pulling up (the rest is help with clips) Once both trim pieces are off unscrew the top of the window rail then see if you can pull the corner glass out some how. If not you might need to take off the bottom screws of the rail which requires door panel removal. Thats all I can remember right now, GL
Old 09-13-2005, 05:57 PM

Looking at the pics, it's not that easy to do if you want to fix it correctly. This will imply cutting around the rusty spot and weld new metal there. Whenever you see rust like this, then the metal is perforated or it will very soon. If you are familiar with body repair it's going to take you a good day of work to fix this. You can try to fix it just by sanding that part and re-paint but trust me if you do so it will re-appear soon. Unless you cut it and fix it forever, the rust will still be there and it will come back shortly. My suggestion is to try to find a new door with same color at the salvage yard you'd be surprise of the deal you can possibly get. A body shop would probably charge you near 200$ to fix it. If you bring it to the body shop make shure they cut that part and re-weld new metal. My 2 cents
Old 09-14-2005, 07:24 AM

thanks a lot for you input.
I might take a look at the salvage yard. good idea DOUBLEA.

I will keep you informed...