5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My fun and not so fun races tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 01:23 AM

well...tonight was a fun night of racing...even though i came extremely close to death, it turned out being very fun (i will get to the death part later)

well i just picked my friend up from work and we are just cruising around...i spot this old 5.0 and he spots me...he had an open lane and i had someone in front of me so i couldn't race him...he floors it and his exhaust is so loud that it hurt my ears (i am used to over 140dB with my stereo)...he turned at the next light so i didn't get a chance to race him...then i caught upto this accord i saw earlier in the night...it was filled w/ people (probably 5) and it had altezza's, lowered, rims, exhaust etc....we also didn't get a chance to race...he didn't take the bait (all his friends were staring at me though)...he turned at the next light...

so i keep cruising around and what kind of headlights do i see approaching closely in the left lane? well actually i couldn't tell until i let him get in front of me, but it was a black bone stock celica GT-S 6spd manual...as luck might have it, we get stopped at the next light...i'm thinking $hit, this guy is going to kill me, i have my subs and spare tire, and my friend in the car and this guy just has his friend sitting next to him...well we both had crappy launches and when we got upto about 125mph, i was about 4 car lengths ahead...my friend was very impressed and i ****ed the celica driver off...he turned at the next light and i kept going and made a u turn at the light after that...as i'm coming back, i get stopped at a light...the gt-s pulls up again without his friend in the passenger seat...we raced at least 3 more times and we tied twice and he took me by 1/2 car once...remember, i had 100 lbs. worth of subs, a 150lb friend and a spare tire that probably weighs 40lbs or so...so that was win #1 since when the grounds were more even i beat him (i was so happy with my car and my friend was so impressed...especially considering that before i raced this guy i started saying...i'm gonna get my @$$ kicked)

so then i make another u turn and come back to right around the spot where i first raced the celica...there was a purple altima lowered w/ rims and a big sticker on the back (not sure what it said) and yellow fogs...there was also a turbo eclipse that had heavy mods...i see the altima turn right onto the street i am on and it starts weaving to try to catch upto me...then i see another set of headlights (the eclipse)...well basically, i seemed to have beaten the altima but at around 130mph, the eclipse caught upto me (i kept seeing these headlights get closer and closer and i was flooring it)...so i was going 130mph and the eclipse was probably going 140 or so and as he starts passing me (we are going around a slight curve in the road) he overcompensates and i hear his tires start to squeal...i look over and he is about 6 inches away from the side of my car (his mirror was basically touching my mirror)...so i swerve a little and tap my brakes so my car starts going back and forth...luckily i stayed in my lane...as we get upto the next stoplight (i'm in the right lane) i was about ready to get out of my car and walk over to the eclipse but he goes from the middle lane to the left lane and the altima guy follows him (most likely is with him)...i make a u turn at the next light but couldn't find them after that...i'm going over to altimas.net to post about him and tell him he needs to learn how to drive (since he is probably a friend of the guy in the altima, i'm sure someone might know who i'm talking about)

so then i stop at walmart to get some smacks because me and my friend were a little shook up...so i start driving around again and find this trans am that passed me...so i catch up and we get stopped at the next light...i had a pretty crappy launch but this thing murdered me (i've already been killed by a ws-6 and i kept telling my friend that i have no chance)...so then we get next to each other again and he kills me again...but this time he misses a shift...his exhaust sounds horrible and it sounds like he dropped his tranny...i was able to catch up...yay! this is, of course until he got it back into gear...after that he wouldn't race again...we needed to turn to get some food so my friend gave them the thumbs up and they gave us a peace sign

so after food, we drove around a little more and this little civic hatchback with rims and exhaust and probably intake (judging by the sound) wanted to race...so we got stopped at a light and i slaughtered this guy...by 80mph i was about 7 or 8 cars ahead...he was racing, too...i heard his engine rev up fully

so that was my night of fun and almost tragedy...can't wait for the rsb to come in the mail (phuong...hurry up...i want it (the rsb) so bad)
Old 05-28-2001, 07:36 AM
Got Bent?

.....woah.... thats a lot of cool races, nice you will like the RSB though....
Old 05-28-2001, 07:37 AM
PhatGuy

MrBurner do you drive a 5pd or auto?

Old 05-28-2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
MrBurner do you drive a 5pd or auto?
auto...but here is what i figure...i think i am currently as fast as a 5spd maxima...last time i went to the track, i raced with alex (icey2k1) and he has a 5spd 5th gen maxima w/ a cone intake...track conditions weren't great and the temp. was over 70 degrees the entire night...i ran a couple passes at 15.5 and he ran a few around 15.6 and 15.7 and then ran a 15.5 his last run...i've heard celica gt-s's are very good races for 5spd maximas...i wasn't really thinking about my 1/4 mile time when i was racing this guy...i was just thinking how he was going to kick my @$$...and don't even say he wasn't racing...he was defenitely racing and he didn't miss any shifts...

a 5spd max has a better launch than me, but i catch upto it at the end of the 1/4 mile because my high end is better...so by the time we got upto 125 or so, i was a few cars ahead

also remember that weight does more to a 4 cylinder than a 6 cylinder and it does more to a 6 cylinder than an 8 cylinder (for example...a kid i know w/ a 98 mustang gt 5spd...we always tie when it is just me and him but when he has 1 person in the car and i have one person in the car, he can beat me)...weight just seems to take less of a toll on cars w/ bigger enginges
Old 05-28-2001, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by MrBurner

auto...but here is what i figure...i think i am currently as fast as a 5spd maxima...last time i went to the track, i raced with alex (icey2k1) and he has a 5spd 5th gen maxima w/ a cone intake...track conditions weren't great and the temp. was over 70 degrees the entire night...i ran a couple passes at 15.5 and he ran a few around 15.6 and 15.7 and then ran a 15.5 his last run...i've heard celica gt-s's are very good races for 5spd maximas...i wasn't really thinking about my 1/4 mile time when i was racing this guy...i was just thinking how he was going to kick my @$$...and don't even say he wasn't racing...he was defenitely racing and he didn't miss any shifts...

a 5spd max has a better launch than me, but i catch upto it at the end of the 1/4 mile because my high end is better...so by the time we got upto 125 or so, i was a few cars ahead

also remember that weight does more to a 4 cylinder than a 6 cylinder and it does more to a 6 cylinder than an 8 cylinder (for example...a kid i know w/ a 98 mustang gt 5spd...we always tie when it is just me and him but when he has 1 person in the car and i have one person in the car, he can beat me)...weight just seems to take less of a toll on cars w/ bigger enginges
wut mods kan i do to make my car run just as fast as ur car? or a 5 speed?
Old 05-28-2001, 02:21 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by MrBurner

Zach,

Great weekend of racing! I too took a race last Wednesday night. I went back home to a small town for my little sisters graduation and as I was leaving I saw a nice almost riced older body style 5-speed Accord with exhaust. I had two passengers plus a bunch of junk and I'm not sure if he was alone. Anyways, I pulled up quick to check out the car and he was kinda driving quick through traffic so I stayed with him and then I decided to pull ahead of him to see what he would do. He didn't gun it, so I just cruised up and the next light turned red. So, we both line-up and I don't hear him rev so I just pull out somewhat faster than normal and then I hear him drop the hammer by his exhaust wail. So, he pulls past me before I drop it(wanted to give him a little lead so I could see how fast I pulled on him). I redline shift, chirp second(damn I love that), and launch past him like I had the 70+hp extra I thought I had over a stock Accord. Then I let off and started braking, since I seen he had given up. I wanted another run with a down shift to 2nd as he was passing me. So, he pulls up REAL close to my door as he passes my nose and then his exhaust screams, I dump the clutch and gas in second from 3rd and left him like he was standing still. I come up on slower traffic, so I brake for another run or a nod/finger from him and he pulls the OLDEST high school stunt by gunning it around me in the center turn lane. So, I said whatever and cruised on. Funny thing is the next night I saw him again while driving my girlfriends car and he was being drawn out, at gun point, by a police officer.

Lastly, you should state that your as fast as a 5-speed with a driver who can NOT drive for $hit at the track. I was definitely not able to get NEAR as good of a 1/4 time as a practiced driver could(my first time at the track). Also, on the street I definitely don't have ANY traction problems and so the two "sessions" of wheel spin(launch and 1st-to-2nd shift) I had during the race/loss against Phils' AE auto Max would have been different. Plus, he had an OSCAI(no K&N), Stillen Y, and custom Greddy catback, and in 3rd gear of the 1/4 I slightly pulled and lossed ground with him to the end. I've also learned I can shift another 200+ rpms higher than when I was at the track without hitting the rev limiter, which I never did at the track but now do quite often. I'm not trying to flame your statement, I just don't think my 1st attempt to race at the track or ever in the Max would be an accurate benchmark to use for comparison.
Old 05-29-2001, 05:25 AM
PhatGuy

No offence to anyone on the board but if you really want to race in a Maxima you have to drive the 5spd. Get a Short shifter (it is amazing and will lower your 0-60 and 1/4mile...man you can really power shift with little throw), rsb, fstb, intake and Y-Pipe to start and you will have a serious ride. I still need to install my Y-Pipe and get a brake upgrade before I consider it race worthy. I'm reading how people are doing a lot of street racing but not hearing too much about brake upgrades (one of the big keys to racing and safety) I'm not talking about straight line nonsense either which to me means nothing in driver performance especially with autos and mismatched cars power/weight wise. I feel the intake is a great upgrade since you can hear the engine a lot better and can shift by ear rather than having to look at the tach. The intake also improves accel especially over 6000rpm which gives you that little bit extra juice. IceY2K1 you should add just a Y-Pipe (let alone all the other exhaust work MrBurner has) on your 5spd... Where exactly does the auto shift? 6300?

Old 05-29-2001, 11:33 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

No offence to anyone on the board but if you really want to race in a Maxima you have to drive the 5spd. Get a Short shifter (it is amazing and will lower your 0-60 and 1/4mile...man you can really power shift with little throw), rsb, fstb, intake and Y-Pipe to start and you will have a serious ride. I still need to install my Y-Pipe and get a brake upgrade before I consider it race worthy. I'm reading how people are doing a lot of street racing but not hearing too much about brake upgrades (one of the big keys to racing and safety) I'm not talking about straight line nonsense either which to me means nothing in driver performance especially with autos and mismatched cars power/weight wise. I feel the intake is a great upgrade since you can hear the engine a lot better and can shift by ear rather than having to look at the tach. The intake also improves accel especially over 6000rpm which gives you that little bit extra juice. IceY2K1 you should add just a Y-Pipe (let alone all the other exhaust work MrBurner has) on your 5spd... Where exactly does the auto shift? 6300?
I will add everything you stated above plus more in time, but the Y pipe will have to wait till the waranty dies in about 30K miles.

Can you explain the positive/negative of the short throw shifter and whether it's a Stillen or whatever? I don't like the feel or way my 5-speed shifts, so I don't want to make it any worse. The shorter throws would be great, but is it easier to miss a gear? What about gear whine/rattle through the stick? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:51 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by IceY2K1

I will add everything you stated above plus more in time, but the Y pipe will have to wait till the waranty dies in about 30K miles.

Can you explain the positive/negative of the short throw shifter and whether it's a Stillen or whatever? I don't like the feel or way my 5-speed shifts, so I don't want to make it any worse. The shorter throws would be great, but is it easier to miss a gear? What about gear whine/rattle through the stick? Thanks.
My short throw is awesome (Stillen made from Billet Steel). Short throws that you gotta use a lil muscle, haven't missed a gear yet since it is very notchy which I love, no vibration or sounds from the stick, just be sure you have it installed by a good mechanic (one that has done it before). Avalon Racing installed mine..charged one hour labour. It is awesome in my opinion....

Old 05-29-2001, 01:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My short throw is awesome (Stillen made from Billet Steel). Short throws that you gotta use a lil muscle, haven't missed a gear yet since it is very notchy which I love, no vibration or sounds from the stick, just be sure you have it installed by a good mechanic (one that has done it before). Avalon Racing installed mine..charged one hour labour. It is awesome in my opinion....
How much did you pay for the Stillen STS? I can install myself because I installed one in my friends 99 Max. took about 45 min.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:06 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by BottleFedMax

How much did you pay for the Stillen STS? I can install myself because I installed one in my friends 99 Max. took about 45 min.
I paid $249.00US. If you can go with a synthetic tranny fluid as well. I live in cold Canada so it might not be necessary if you live further south. Anyone have comments on this?

also

What RPM does a auto 2k1 Max shift at?