5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen Y-Pipe on a 2K1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 04:08 PM

Will the Stillen Y-Pipe fit on my 2K1 maxima since it is a CA spec car? Some people told me that since it has 2 cats on it the y-pipe will not fit. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2001, 04:12 PM

I believe there is a Fed and there is a CA spec y-pipe, or is this just Cattman?
Old 05-29-2001, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by maxse01
Will the Stillen Y-Pipe fit on my 2K1 maxima since it is a CA spec car? Some people told me that since it has 2 cats on it the y-pipe will not fit. Thanks for the help.
Yes, the Stillen y-pipe will fit on your car. The new Stillen y-pipe comes as a 2 piece set. If you have a 2001 or a 2000 CA spec, then you will only use the main piece. If you have a 2000 Fed spec, then you'd use the 2nd piece. Check my site for more details!

http://www.desertpearlmax.homestead....amodspage.html
Old 05-29-2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Desert Pearl

Yes, the Stillen y-pipe will fit on your car. The new Stillen y-pipe comes as a 2 piece set. If you have a 2001 or a 2000 CA spec, then you will only use the main piece. If you have a 2000 Fed spec, then you'd use the 2nd piece. Check my site for more details!

your site is cool. where did you get that awesome valve cover? i really like it.
Old 05-29-2001, 06:18 PM

[/url]
Desert Pearl, your write up about y-pipe is great! Very detail and informative. Thanks for the effort of putting this together!
Old 05-29-2001, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by maxse01

your site is cool. where did you get that awesome valve cover? i really like it.
Thanks. I haven't been doing too much with it lately. We just had a kid and I've been spending most of my time online doing his website instead.

That "valve cover" is just a plastic cover that comes standard on the Anniversary Edition Maximas. You can buy them separately from the dealership, but I don't know the P/N or pricing. I do recall seeing posts with that info though.

Thanks, GT_icecream. I figured since I was the first to do this Y-pipe/exhaust manifold conversion, I needed to write it up properly.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:28 PM

if it's not too much money i would get it, but i am not sure it's worth much money. did you have to adjust your stock exhaust after you put it back on? I want to get the AE body kit, but i am worried that my stock exhaust will not hang down low enough. (i have the stock SE exhaust, not the down facing one like yours) thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:41 PM

Dude!!! Awesome web site! FastCat and I just spent about 20 minutes talking about your y-pipe setup. And that picture of the stock pre-cat... good God!!! Is that what I'm haulin' around everyday? Gone!

BTW, what kind of camera did you use to take those pics (and did you scan them in if it was a conventional camera)? I'm getting really tired of my Snappy B.S. video capture crap and am looking for an alternative.

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by RcticMax

Dude!!! Awesome web site! FastCat and I just spent about 20 minutes talking about your y-pipe setup. And that picture of the stock pre-cat... good God!!! Is that what I'm haulin' around everyday? Gone!

BTW, what kind of camera did you use to take those pics (and did you scan them in if it was a conventional camera)? I'm getting really tired of my Snappy B.S. video capture crap and am looking for an alternative.

Cheers!
My sentiments exactly on that precat. It's humongous!!!

The pics on my site were takin in two different methods. The lower quality pics were taken with my Canon Vistura mini DV camcorder. Max resolution on it is 640x480. I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot S100 digital camera. That's the one I used on the better quality pics. I had to shrink the pics down from their original 1600x1200 size so that they'd fit on most monitors. If you want to see a pic at its full size, click on the first pic of my engine compartment. That pic was taken under my crappy garage lighting at night, so it would look even better if I'd done it outside during the day. SWEET!!!!!
Old 05-29-2001, 11:22 PM

Hey Desert Pearl, did you do your exhaust mods yourself? Just wondering cuz you've got some good stuff on your Max. Great homepage too, very detailed. BTW, I remember you posting awhile back about what you did with the muffler so that it came out straight on the AE kit. It'll be great if you can refresh my memory. Thanks.

Terrence
Old 05-29-2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Hey Desert Pearl, did you do your exhaust mods yourself? Just wondering cuz you've got some good stuff on your Max. Great homepage too, very detailed. BTW, I remember you posting awhile back about what you did with the muffler so that it came out straight on the AE kit. It'll be great if you can refresh my memory. Thanks.

Terrence
First off, I'd like to say... Nice Rims!!! I just recommended them to someone else today.

I had Belangers Custom Exhaust in Phoenix do most of the exhaust work. I did the install of the Y-pipe, exhaust manifold and the actual relocation of the O2 sensors. The making of the exhaust I left to the professionals.

I didn't really do anything that special on the exhaust to make it fit with the AE body kit. We (Jesse Belanger and I) cut of the stock curved tips, welded on some 2.5" extentions and then slid the tips over the extenstions until we liked how they looked. Then we welded the tips on. Nothing special. See the attached pic for how it turned out.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:08 AM

First off, I'd like to say... Nice Rims!!! I just recommended them to someone else today.

I had Belangers Custom Exhaust in Phoenix do most of the exhaust work. I did the install of the Y-pipe, exhaust manifold and the actual relocation of the O2 sensors. The making of the exhaust I left to the professionals.

I didn't really do anything that special on the exhaust to make it fit with the AE body kit. We (Jesse Belanger and I) cut of the stock curved tips, welded on some 2.5" extentions and then slid the tips over the extenstions until we liked how they looked. Then we welded the tips on. Nothing special. See the attached pic for how it turned out.
Thanks. Great stuff. I'll definitely find you for info if and when I decide to go with the y-pipe.