5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best Rubber Exhaust Hangers for Cattman Cat-Back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Newbies Get All The Chicks

Best Rubber Exhaust Hangers for Cattman Cat-Back?

Once again here is my disclaimer that i searched and searched and i was unable to find the answer, but since Im sure the answer already is here somewhere... can someone put up the link to the post that shows which rubber exhaust hangers are the best for supporting the weight of the Cattman Catback system? My stock ones arent holding up at all!!! I had to zip tie the pipes up as a temp fix haha.

The paper that came with the Cattman says use the Napa ones, can someone confirm that will work?

side note: cat bolts had to be torched out they were rusted beyond belief.

side note #2: Best purchase I have ever made!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hesham1
Once again here is my disclaimer that i searched and searched and i was unable to find the answer, but since Im sure the answer already is here somewhere... can someone put up the link to the post that shows which rubber exhaust hangers are the best for supporting the weight of the Cattman Catback system? My stock ones arent holding up at all!!! I had to zip tie the pipes up as a temp fix haha.

The paper that came with the Cattman says use the Napa ones, can someone confirm that will work?

side note: cat bolts had to be torched out they were rusted beyond belief.

side note #2: Best purchase I have ever made!
NAPA hangers will work.... or you can use hose clamps around the stock hangers like this:

Btw, I'm using stock hangers w/o hose clamps now and my exhaust seems to sitting fine.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Mass_Media™

Im using stock hangers and mine is fine....
Old 10-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Need A Light?

i am using stock exhaust hangers with hose clamps....without hose clamps my piping is banging against all sorts of things....can't stand it for daily
Old 10-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Play with my balls

heavy duty zip ties baby!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:38 PM

sweeet! thanks guys, any idea on how much the napa hangers cost? yea i cant believe my stock hangers are so worn. Then again i cant believe how rusted the old exhaust was...
Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 PM

Damn Puppet, thanks for the idea on the hose clamps. Im going to go buy some tomorrow and do that. My exhaust just recently started banging becuase it hangs too loose.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 AM

I also use hose clamp and it work for me, exept the muffler tips are rubbing against the bumper which has started to melt but I couldn't careless since the JDub body kit is going to replace the stock bumper soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by makavelisk
Damn Puppet, thanks for the idea on the hose clamps. Im going to go buy some tomorrow and do that. My exhaust just recently started banging becuase it hangs too loose.
You're welcome but I'm sure I wasn't the first to do it. Frankencar included hose clamps with their cat-back and I assume that's what they were for.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 AM

this cattman is H-E-A-V-Y . Im amazed to hear that the Frankencar one is even heavier. But im glad this thing is built to last. Is the extra weight putting a big strain on the horribly rusted cat and Y pipe? I feel like theyre just going to snap off one day, forcing me to upgrade
Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Ahhh so thats whats making my damn catback rattle..

You guys reckon I could squeeze under the car with ramps and get those hose clamps on? I dont really want to put it up on a lift because that costs $$$ I dont want to spend.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Ahhh so thats whats making my damn catback rattle..

You guys reckon I could squeeze under the car with ramps and get those hose clamps on? I dont really want to put it up on a lift because that costs $$$ I dont want to spend.
I did it without jacking the car up.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 PM

this cattman is H-E-A-V-Y . Im amazed to hear that the Frankencar one is even heavier. But im glad this thing is built to last. Is the extra weight putting a big strain on the horribly rusted cat and Y pipe? I feel like theyre just going to snap off one day, forcing me to upgrade
Not sure why you think its heavy... the Cattman rear is lighter than each of the stock, GReddy, and Frankencar rears.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Puppet

Is there anywhere else along the exhaust track that could use tightening up? My exhaust seems to be rattling closer to the cat.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 PM

my rattle seems to be from the rear axle and if thats the case they have told me to clamp the hanger right before the bend to the left after the B pipe
Old 10-11-2005, 03:32 PM

mine started rattling after i installed my high flow cat the hose clamps solved the problem...midas put it on a lift for me for free just tell them ur deal and that you wanna be out in the bay with ur car put the hose clams on yourself and it should be free of charge i just gave dude 5 dollars for putting it on the lift.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Not sure why you think its heavy... the Cattman rear is lighter than each of the stock, GReddy, and Frankencar rears.

hmmmm i dont know about that. you know more than i do, so ill take your word for it, but my stock rear was waaaaay light. i mean ridiculously light, and my hangers didnt stretch at all, like they did with the cattman
Old 10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Need A Light?

Guys I just weighed my stock rear section (since it's just sitting in my room)...it comes out to be 32lbs on my bathroom scale..

I can vouch hesham...I've carried both my cattmang and stock rear sections...they both don't feel all that different...with the weight of the cattmang being a little heavier....it could be in my head since I didn't physically measure it...but the cattman feels a little heavier than stock judging from just lifting it....

Another thing to note, I think my cattman bpipe is heavier than stock...my stock bpipe is sitting in my garage and I've lifted it many times and this thing is light! When I receieved my catback from cattman 1yr ago, I don't remember my stock bpipe being anywhere close to how heavy my cattman was...

anybody else notice this?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:17 PM

hmmmm i dont know about that. you know more than i do, so ill take your word for it, but my stock rear was waaaaay light. i mean ridiculously light, and my hangers didnt stretch at all, like they did with the cattman
No, don't take my word for it, I didn't weigh em, it was just by feel. Plus, I never had the Cattman and stock together.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
Guys I just weighed my stock rear section (since it's just sitting in my room)...it comes out to be 32lbs on my bathroom scale..
Finally, some empirical evidence.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:51 PM

thanks for that info, yea its definitly the B pipe thats putting the biggest strain. Id like to put up a metal clamp for added reinforcement, any suggestions/pictures of a good spot to put that thing for the B pipe?

Ive got the sagging problem fixed with the new hangers. The new problem is the side to side swaying of the cat-back, i can hear it lightly tapping when i take a turn really fast.

steven88, i think this is the third post ive read from you where you've just happened to have stuff sitting in your room to provide some good info nicely done!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:33 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

I just put hose clamps on 2 of the 3 rear section hangers. The muffler doesnt rattle anymore, but the section that is hitting the crosmember is doing it a WHOLE lot more now...
Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM

I just put hose clamps on 2 of the 3 rear section hangers. The muffler doesnt rattle anymore, but the section that is hitting the crosmember is doing it a WHOLE lot more now...
You can add washers to make the cross member lower, and hence more clearance, or just take the damn thing off. Many people have done this with no adverse effects.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Need A Light?

Which cross member is it hitting? the front black one or the small silver one in the rear? I took out my small silver one with no adverse effects...but I'm kinda iffy on the big black one that holds 8 bolts...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

I am assuming that its hitting the crossmember.
When I tightened the hose clamps it brought the tail pipes a lot closer to the fender. I tried to get under the car today, but it was raining like a Bizzatch. For some reason, it seems to be even worse now with the rain. There are 2 different sounds I get.

Firstly, there is the rattle and grind noise I get all the time now, especially around corners.
Secondly, there is a tapping sound when I hit the gas and spin the tires, feels like when I get the wheel tramp that something is banging.

Both are different noises.

I think I might take the advice of heading to midas and having them put it up on a lift... this is driving me effin nuts!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Which cross member is it hitting? the front black one or the small silver one in the rear? I took out my small silver one with no adverse effects...but I'm kinda iffy on the big black one that holds 8 bolts...

Jeff took out my small silver one when he did the install. I have it sitting in my lounge room OEM parts pile... lol

Come to think of it, I dont think it is hitting the black crossmember, there seems to be plenty of clearance there.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
"tse-tse fly"

I Just got the cattman rear section and am using the OEM rubber ones and have had no problem...
Old 10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Need A Light?

If it's not hitting the black cross member then the only other place I can think of are the heat shields....try grabbing the muffler and wiggling it....you should not hear any noise....if you hear a soft grinding noise then try to pin point where its coming from...look closely where your bpipe bends and the rear section going over the beam axle...those are two areas where the heatshields are located...i had this problem when I installed headers and ditched the heat shields and get no more noise
Old 10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

If it's not hitting the black cross member then the only other place I can think of are the heat shields....try grabbing the muffler and wiggling it....you should not hear any noise....if you hear a soft grinding noise then try to pin point where its coming from...look closely where your bpipe bends and the rear section going over the beam axle...those are two areas where the heatshields are located...i had this problem when I installed headers and ditched the heat shields and get no more noise
Im not going to melt anything... am I?

Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Need A Light?

Naw I read that a few other users have done this....worked great for them...I've been doing it for more than 4 months now...works great
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Im taking my car into midas tomorrow.

If they can fix the issue without removing the heat shield that would be cool.

Question, do you have to remove the pipes to get the heat sheilding off?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

If I can throw in my experience with this issue, I put on a Cattman Fast Cat and full CB and it was clunking. I bought the expensive Nismo hangers from Courtesy Nismo Hangers . Bounced still but a local muffler shop heated the metal hangers on the muffler and bent them a bit with vicegrips. Haven't heard it bounce since. Cost for service 20 bucks.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:19 PM

pictures of the metal clamps installed anyone?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Need A Light?

hesham its on post #2...i thought u saw it already?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM

sorry my bad, late night post haha.

what i meant was, does anyone have a picture of metal hangers, the round clamps that go around the pipes themselves? and best support locations for hanging those?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:26 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

I just had midas look at my catback, it was rubbing against the heatshield. They said they would fix if for a 20.

After I got the car back, it wasnt making the vibrations on turns, but still occasionally on acceleration.
I thought, better than nothing...

Wish this damn rain would stop so I can get under the car...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Need A Light?

I just had midas look at my catback, it was rubbing against the heatshield. They said they would fix if for a 20.

After I got the car back, it wasnt making the vibrations on turns, but still occasionally on acceleration.
I thought, better than nothing...

Wish this damn rain would stop so I can get under the car...
I knew it!! damn i'm good!!!

haha jk...well good luck with your car...post up some sound clips if u can? oh yeah if the heat shields still bother u, u can always take them off like how i did
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 PM

what exactly was the fix? did they change hangers out or bend anything?

yea looks like its not gonna stop raining anytime soon in the NE, they say its gonna get worse and there will be big floods
Old 10-13-2005, 01:27 PM

could the baffling burn off with years and that's why your old oem muffler is lighter than the brand new cattman?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
could the baffling burn off with years and that's why your old oem muffler is lighter than the brand new cattman?

my stock muffler was horribly rusted and actually the reason i changed it out is because it broke off at the flange and i had no choice.... so yes i see what youre saying and you make an excellent point.

afro-sham

Quick Reply: Best Rubber Exhaust Hangers for Cattman Cat-Back?