5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Race/ Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Race/ Test Pipe

I searched and read back a few pages and didn't find what I was looking for. I read it made a sound difference, but people gave different answers. I know the performance increase was NOT be noticed and it will NOT pass emissions. I plan on paring this test pipe with a cattman y-pipe and possible a cattman b-pipe (depending on respsonds). What will the test pipe make the car sound like (I have read somewhat like a g35c, 350z)? Will be much louder? Sound ricey? I also read by gutting the cat it will have a negitive effect; does test pipe have the same effect? How will the b pipe fit into this scheme (sound wise) I just need some input.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

g35c, 350z
Won't sound like that unless you have that same engine .. If you want sound, don;t be and cheap out with a 'race' pipe, just get headers.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:00 AM

In Cali, you'll prob fail emissions, like WTFMan here said.... I know in VA we can pass emissions with no cats .

Headers won't give ya that much more over a y-pipe in a VQ30, but if you want to squeeze everything out of it, just go all the way, if not, a y-pipe is good enough.

As for sound... as an idea as it is, y-pipe, straight pipe, stock-cat-back does kinda sound like a G35 or 350Z. But seriously, do it for performance, not for sound.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
But seriously, do it for performance, not for sound.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

I'm locked out of MSN again... keep getting p3wned by my own passwords...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Catback isn't going to give me any gains any ways
Old 10-11-2005, 10:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Then why get it?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 AM

Won't sound like that unless you have that same engine .. If you want sound, don;t be and cheap out with a 'race' pipe, just get headers.
If you want to give me the 850 plus shipping, I am more than willing to take that. And while your handing me the 850, bring some air tools and a lift (or whatever you want to use) and install them. Or you could just pay to have someone install them.

Originally Posted by sixxone
What will the test pipe make the car sound like (I have READ somewhat LIKE a g35c, 350z)?
Reread that, would you.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Then why get it?
Sound, just like the majority of the board.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

'Majority' of the board don't know crap about Maximas ... to each their own ...
Old 10-11-2005, 10:14 AM

What performance wise did those all red tail add? How about those clear side markers?

edit:

I just notcied the JWT frame. That had to have been at least 3-5 hp
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

They added nothing but they did not cost $100's of dollars Less than 30$ for all of them since I was cheap enough to find the front clears used .. screw the rear clears.

EDIT frames gone, it came with my 4g ecu, but JWT - teh sux0r
Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 AM

Ok I was thinking about getting the frame and red tails, because i want all the performance i can get for cheap.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:38 AM

The test pipe makes litle noticable tone difference, however, on a otherwise stock 3.0, it pulls harder over 4500, much harder after the VIAS opens. I passed emissions with a stillen y, Cm test, and Evo2. CT they just plug in, no dyno, and if there are no codes, you pass. They didn't even do a visual. Either way, for 100 bills it's next to a short ram for bang for the buck, check out Custom enterprises, i believe they have a dyno sheet showing 7hp and 11lb feet on a '97 5 speed, iirc.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM

they hardly dont make any difference. i have the cm "resonated" test pipe and it smells and sounds like shiate. i bought the warpspeed highflow cat for around $110 and will be installing it tomm
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GreenSeMax
The test pipe makes litle noticable tone difference, however, on a otherwise stock 3.0, it pulls harder over 4500, much harder after the VIAS opens. I passed emissions with a stillen y, Cm test, and Evo2. CT they just plug in, no dyno, and if there are no codes, you pass. They didn't even do a visual. Either way, for 100 bills it's next to a short ram for bang for the buck, check out Custom enterprises, i believe they have a dyno sheet showing 7hp and 11lb feet on a '97 5 speed, iirc.
Thanks for the opinion, that is something I was looking for. However, I won't pass CA emissions, that is for sure. Anyone else?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

No dyno no care
Old 10-11-2005, 11:20 AM

No dyno no care
Please stop whoring my threads

Originally Posted by SixxOne
I know the performance increase was NOT be noticed and it will NOT pass emissions
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM

No dyno no care
Here's your dyno........
http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design017
Old 10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if i dynoed with a towel shoved in my 8 year old cat then dynoed a test pipe, it might show that gain. but you would probably have to jack up the air pressure in the tires, use lighter wheels and wait for the motor to cool off to get that kind of difference.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

No indepedent dyno no care ... That's not on a DEK .. is it? Since this is the 5g forum ... Or is it a 3.5L? ???
Just get the test pipe and call it a day ..
Old 10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Need A Light?

Sixx, I have a test pipe on my car..check out my exhaust sound clip in my signature if your interested....anyway I'll tell you, this thing is LOUD....with a full exhaust setup that is...But i see your planning to keep your stock muffler...which is a good thing....I've tried the full exhaust setup with my stock muffler and it is VERY quiet...but once u slap on a free flowing straight through muffler....u will wake neighbors up all day & all night...

Also about gutting the cat, it's not a good idea...it won't flow as well as a 2.5 inch straight pipe....plus when it comes time for emissions, how would u pass? Basically, its either u buy a $30 test pipe and swap for emissions....or gut your stock cat and buy a $150 high flow cat for emissions...i'd take the former if u ask me
Old 10-11-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
Sixx, I have a test pipe on my car..check out my exhaust sound clip in my signature if your interested....anyway I'll tell you, this thing is LOUD....with a full exhaust setup that is...But i see your planning to keep your stock muffler...which is a good thing....I've tried the full exhaust setup with my stock muffler and it is VERY quiet...but once u slap on a free flowing straight through muffler....u will wake neighbors up all day & all night...

Also about gutting the cat, it's not a good idea...it won't flow as well as a 2.5 inch straight pipe....plus when it comes time for emissions, how would u pass? Basically, its either u buy a $30 test pipe and swap for emissions....or gut your stock cat and buy a $150 high flow cat for emissions...i'd take the former if u ask me
Thanks steve. Where did you pick up your pipe? As for gutting the cat, i was seeing if it had the same effects. As for passing emissions, a friend of mine owns his own smog shop.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 PM

The gains hardly warrant saying that it "pulls much harder" the gains would be BARELY noticable to the driver.

When I installed my headers I got a NOTICABLE gain, because they are good for around 3x+ the gains of the test pipe. The stock main cat flows pretty well as is, unless you need to replace it, leave it; just like the cat-back.

The ONLY exhaust mods WORTH doing on a 5th gen maxima are headers or a y-pipe. If you are looking for sound, replace it; performance wise it flows quite well from the factory.

Just incase you have not read the other one million post on exhaust mods in the 5th gen forum, I only replaced my Cat and cat back because they needed to be replaced because of rust (thank you North East).
Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Need A Light?

Budget exhaust in Canada....I believe they changed their name or something recently....anyway it was $30 shipped to my front door...should be the same price for you since you live in SO CAL
Old 10-11-2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
The gains hardly warrant saying that it "pulls much harder" the gains would be BARELY noticable to the driver.

When I installed my headers I got a NOTICABLE gain, because they are good for around 3x+ the gains of the test pipe. The stock main cat flows pretty well as is, unless you need to replace it, leave it; just like the cat-back.

The ONLY exhaust mods WORTH doing on a 5th gen maxima are headers or a y-pipe. If you are looking for sound, replace it; performance wise it flows quite well from the factory.

Just incase you have not read the other one million post on exhaust mods in the 5th gen forum, I only replaced my Cat and cat back because they needed to be replaced because of rust (thank you North East).
I read many of those post, that is why I have decided NOT to get a after market muffler. The y-pipe is coming as soon as Brain gets another GD going (which should be soon). I would have been an idiot to believe the test pipe would give me any gains close to headers or a y-pipe. Basically I am looking for a sound a little deeper than stock. Headers are out of the question.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Need A Light?

GAB/ypipe/test pipe/bpipe/stock muffler....

I believe this will make your car sound closest to a g35....the the hp to price ratio isn't all that bad either.....
Old 10-11-2005, 12:25 PM

I think that is the setup I am going to do, besides the GAB (I got a berk sitting in the closet)
Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Need A Light?

Berk intake isn't bad either....I have one myself and love the sound...but before the berk, I was rockin the GAB....and the price to hp ratio was VERY high for this mod....I thought I was crazy...but Nmex dynoed 9whp over stock to prove it has gains....best of all, you retain low end tq unlike aftermarket intakes...oh yeah, reverting back to stock can be done in about 1 minute....its a win-win situation if u ask me...

and what shifter bushings are u talkin about? I don't sell anything
Old 10-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Ok thats all the wanted to hear.

my bad I thought you were one of those AT guys. Iread your sig wrong
Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 PM

this is a flamer forum, no wonder i don't post here anymore, ever heard of the word subjective?........ oh wait no, besides, why do you care so much what someone else is looking at doing with their car? He did ask for opinions? and have you driven the same car with and without a test pipe? Ok then
Old 10-11-2005, 01:19 PM

Too many people trying to be cool. Its kind of like high school.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:33 PM

this is a flamer forum, no wonder i don't post here anymore, ever heard of the word subjective?........ oh wait no, besides, why do you care so much what someone else is looking at doing with their car? He did ask for opinions? and have you driven the same car with and without a test pipe? Ok then

As I said in my post...

If you are looking for sound, then do it...

If you are looking for performance, dont waste your money on a test pipe and cat-back if your current set up is still fine.

PERSONALLY I would skip the b-pipe and test pipe (or at least the b-pipe) and invest that money into HS headers. You gain way more power and better sound for about the same money as a y-pipe and b-pipe....

But it is his money... he will do what he wants. I gave him my opionions from my experiance with switching out my entire exhaust.

And dont play the "subjective" card... 7hp is not a substantial gain and is barely noticable. You threw in a BS line that "It pulls much harder" then flaunt dyno runs from a 95 maxima from the company that sells the product.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by upstatemax

i felt a pretty big gain with the headers even coming from a cattman y pipe. however, during a recent dyno session, i found my a/f running around 11:1 above 4.5rpms. that is with the updated maf and everything else correctly on the car. just wanted to give you a heads up that it was killing my power.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
i felt a pretty big gain with the headers even coming from a cattman y pipe. however, during a recent dyno session, i found my a/f running around 11:1 above 4.5rpms. that is with the updated maf and everything else correctly on the car. just wanted to give you a heads up that it was killing my power.
I plan on istalling a SAFC sometime becuase I had the same worries that I was losing quite a bit of power for not having the car "tuned" for the headers.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM

my set up is GAB, y pipe, test pipe, and stock catback. i like the sound a lot. it has a deep growl to it overall and sounds much like a G35/350Z. it's a more hollow sound and does give the exhaust a "non stock" tone. i might be getting a b pipe for more sound eventhough it's only slightly.

and i feel you, i got the test pipe for sound and i sure got sound! it's not LOUD with the stock catback but i bet if we got frankencar (quietest muffler for max) it would be a lot louder. cattman is goign to be wicked loud wiht this setup, ask steven88. overall, even with a 2 hp gain, the sound is very unique and gives the impression of a non stock maxima.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:21 PM

has anyone noticed a smell to the exhuast from not having a cat. someone once told me that the exhuast smelled horrible if you had the test pipe. Also does anyone have a soundclip of the full exhaust system. Cattman header to the cattman muffler
Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by amomaxima
Also does anyone have a soundclip of the full exhaust system. Cattman header to the cattman muffler
Stickies > You

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=407975
Old 10-13-2005, 12:31 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by amomaxima
has anyone noticed a smell to the exhuast from not having a cat. someone once told me that the exhuast smelled horrible if you had the test pipe. Also does anyone have a soundclip of the full exhaust system. Cattman header to the cattman muffler
mine smelled pretty rank. of course you only smell it when sitting still but it was obvious.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:02 PM

mine doesn't smell bad like i've heard ppl discuss before (fart/eggy smell) but i think my car shows more smoke coming out the exhaust at idle (at least during initial start up).

Quick Reply: Race/ Test Pipe