5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Throttle body service problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
RR5

Throttle body service problems

I took my 02 maxima se to an independent shop to have the throttle body serviced. After the mechanic was done, he grabbed the scanner and was telling the owner about some DTC. So I’m driving my car around and notice a very high idle RPM, around 1,100.

I bought a ODB2 code scanner and the code its pulling is P0507. So I check the factory service manual for that code. All it says to do is check for an air intake leak after the MAF and repair. There was no air leak. Second step was to replace the ECU.

I bring the car to a Nissan dealership and they call me the next day telling me they are getting P0221, P0223, and P1224 in addition to the 507 code. What the hell? They will not replace the ECU under the 8/80 powertrain warranty, as its my throttle body/solenoid that needs replacing.

Problem is, I never got those three other codes. I even reset the code, drove for 3 days with no MIL on, let it idle and immediately got code 507.

What are my options here? I can buy a throttle body chamber/solenoid + gasket online for 680$ but don't have the tools to swap them.

ARGH
Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Do all of these steps, especially the Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning). REMEMBER TIMING IS CRITICAL!!! USE A STOP WATCH AND BE PEREPARD TO TRY AGAIN AND AGAIN TILL YOU GET IT RIGHT.

Also save this page. You will need it .
Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

NevAr take the Ethorttle to get serviced by someone that doesn't know they're doing.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they should have provided you with an estimate for the t/b repair at the dealer. take it back to the independednt shop, voice your concern, show them the estimate.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 PM

thats of course if the idle learn, etc. doesnt work
Old 10-12-2005, 09:23 PM
RR5

I have the factory service manual.

I did the accelerator pedal fully released learning, did the throttle valve closed learning, and I tried to perform the idle air volume learning, but the MIL will not blink/flash as indicated in the manual.

I reset the codes and tried again, nothing.

So now I'm stuck looking at replacing the throttle body and solenoid.

Any possibility of scoring one cheap? Or resetting the ECM and all of those store settings and start over? .. Without using CONSULT-II?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 PM

I have one.....Throttle body with the black box atthed to it..that uses the green plug, PM me with an offer.... i'll post a pic tommrow.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by RR5
I have the factory service manual.

I did the accelerator pedal fully released learning, did the throttle valve closed learning, and I tried to perform the idle air volume learning, but the MIL will not blink/flash as indicated in the manual.

I reset the codes and tried again, nothing.

So now I'm stuck looking at replacing the throttle body and solenoid.

Any possibility of scoring one cheap? Or resetting the ECM and all of those store settings and start over? .. Without using CONSULT-II?
if it doesn't flash/blink then your timing is off...u need to be very precise with timing in order for this thing to work....don't worry if u keep messin up the first few times...I was like that when I first bought this car...now I am able to perform any one of these procedures from the back of my head...sometimes my friends are like "wtf are you doing?" and i'm like "just pullling some ecm codes"
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
RR5

I think its because my idle speed is off spec, and the ecm won't go into learning mode. The manual states to check at least 11 different things that have to be all in range for the ecm to enter learning mode.

@ chinaonnitrous1 I'm unable to send private messages? Being honest the throttle body from the dealership costs $920 and online for $670. I'll start off at maybe $140?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:49 AM
RR5

Ok I picked up a used throttle body and just now dropped it in. Right away, I noticed the one I pulled off my maxima makes a rattle like noise coming from the solenoid area. WTF. So I reconnect everything, perform the accelerator pedal fully released procedure, the throttle valve closed procedure and drive it for 10-13 minutes. Then I try the idle air learn procedure and my MIL will not blink when the manual says its supposed to. So I let the engine idle after driving 12 minutes, and BOOM P0507 again. Good news is the new throttle body took care of the P0221, P0223, and P1224.

I'm going crazy.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:37 AM

woo...atleast you only have one code left.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:41 AM
RR5

lol yeah, now I can really make a stink at my nissan dealer
Old 10-16-2005, 04:05 PM
RR5

Well with a bit of researching online, I came up with this
GurgenPB 09-06-2003 06:50 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Easy ECU reset is a HOAX!!!

let me help you out guys.

Here is the trick, and the trouble lies in the "5 times in 5 secs" routine.

What the directions should really say is press the gas pedal fully to the floor 1 time per second 5 times (totalling 5 seconds). The trick is NOT to finish your 5 depressions inside the 5 second mark, but for each depression to happen 1 time per second.

You have to empathise with the computer. Here is how it thinks for the first 15 seconds after you trun on the ignition: "I will go into diag mode if on the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th seconds I detect a full gas pedal depression and on the 15th second the gas pedal is depressed and held in until the 25th second, at which point I will acknoledge the diag mode with the CES light.

I have just described the "wait 3 seconds, press gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, wait 7 seconds, press pedal for 10 seconds. FOLLOWING THIS, meaning after you see the CES light begin blinking, release the pedal and hold it in for 10 seconds, until the CES light blinks FASTER, at which point the ECU memory bank is flashed to edfault (optimal values).

Hope it helps, tell me if it does

Gurgen

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan Aero/Sport
TechoSquare ECU
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)
From http://g35driver.com/forums/printthr...p?t=9379&pp=40

:edit:
I successfully did the Idle Air volume learning procedure, RPMS are normal. I drove for 15 minutes and let it idle in Park for 3 minutes, no MIL on
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 AM
RR5

Still getting the P0507. Even after idle air volume learning.

Should I go back to the dealership and argue with them that they should have replaced my ecm when I was still under then 8 year 80,000 mile factory warranty?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM

GurgenPB 09-06-2003 06:50 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Easy ECU reset is a HOAX!!!

let me help you out guys.

Here is the trick, and the trouble lies in the "5 times in 5 secs" routine.

What the directions should really say is press the gas pedal fully to the floor 1 time per second 5 times (totalling 5 seconds). The trick is NOT to finish your 5 depressions inside the 5 second mark, but for each depression to happen 1 time per second.

You have to empathise with the computer. Here is how it thinks for the first 15 seconds after you trun on the ignition: "I will go into diag mode if on the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th seconds I detect a full gas pedal depression and on the 15th second the gas pedal is depressed and held in until the 25th second, at which point I will acknoledge the diag mode with the CES light.

I have just described the "wait 3 seconds, press gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, wait 7 seconds, press pedal for 10 seconds. FOLLOWING THIS, meaning after you see the CES light begin blinking, release the pedal and hold it in for 10 seconds, until the CES light blinks FASTER, at which point the ECU memory bank is flashed to edfault (optimal values).

Hope it helps, tell me if it does

Gurgen

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan Aero/Sport
TechoSquare ECU
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

ive got video of me doing it much faster than that. and wtf is this 'you gotta look at it from the ECMs point of view' crap? pretty obvious that guy doenst know much about programming.

...meh.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

But he has a G35w/crawford plenum ..
Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 PM

and youve eliminated all possibility of a vacuum leak, right?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct

ive got video of me doing it much faster than that. and wtf is this 'you gotta look at it from the ECMs point of view' crap? pretty obvious that guy doenst know much about programming.

...meh.
Lol all that was trying to say, I think, is not to try to do the 5 pedal fully pressed and 5 fully released WITHIN 5 seconds (read try to finish before 5 seconds) rather one press one release in one second (or if you notice, on the 5th, the air bag lamp goes off)

BewstAdd1ct: Aside from me running my fingers all over the intake piping while the egine is idling.. no. Is there a better way to check for a vacuum leak?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
Lol all that was trying to say, I think, is not to try to do the 5 pedal fully pressed and 5 fully released WITHIN 5 seconds (read try to finish before 5 seconds) rather one press one release in one second (or if you notice, on the 5th, the air bag lamp goes off)

BewstAdd1ct: Aside from me running my fingers all over the intake piping while the egine is idling.. no. Is there a better way to check for a vacuum leak?
Spray carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner on the hoses. If there's a leak then the engine should sound like it'll stall.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:04 PM

or rev up

the thing is, if you go just a tick too slow, youll miss the 5 second mark. better to come in under. i think the reason that technique works for the g35 guy, is he maintains his counting...

i start with a '1' count and end on '4'. i start pressing between the '4' and '5' count, as close to the '4' count as i can. as soon as i lift the 5th time, i start at one again. then i hold just after '8' count. i can usually get it ont he first try without a watch, and always on the second, if i require it.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:51 PM
RR5

Oh I've been getting the hang of the idle air volume learning, so that's not much of an issue.

I'm taking my Maxima back to the stealership and will try to make them replace my ECM under that Federal Emissions warranty (I've got an invoice showing my milage was within range when I brought it there.)

Has anyone who works on Nissan's for 3-5 years ever seen a DTC of P0507 indicate a failing throttle body/chamber and solenoid? I'm going to remain firm that 0507 is either fixed by fixing an air intake leak or replacing the ECM.. and the stealership jerked around with my throttle body to get the RPMs right when I'm in Drive or Reverse. Park or Neutral still has idle rpms over 1,000

-edit
Millions of thanks for all of the helpful replies thus far.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 PM

the diagnostic strategy for p0507 IS just that...

ck for vacuum leaks, and either repair, or if none are found replace the ECM.

that is all.

i can email it to you if you like
Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 PM
RR5

EC-449

I'm well prepared, but the dang nissan dealership did not even try it seems like. They "got it to idle at the right rpm" while in Drive and Reverse which leads me to believe they used CONSULT-II to mess with some settings and junk.

How can I fight them about that and win? Bottom line for me, I brought the car there with a DTC p0507, got it back with P0221, P0223, P1224 plus the 507. Got a used throttle body, got rid of the TPS codes but not the 507. They owe me a ECM
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 PM

yea they do... and some diagnostic time, by the looks of it
Old 10-20-2005, 09:55 PM
RR5

Anyone have ANY idea how you can tamper with a 2002 maxima's throttle body and get it to trip P0221, P0223 and P1224
Old 10-22-2005, 01:36 PM

unplug the TB with the key on.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:29 PM
RR5

Well I went back to the stealership and clearly explained what happened, what I want done and Monday they'll throw in a new ECM under warranty. 3 weeks and hopefully, no more P0507 LOL
Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 AM

Let them change it under warranty then they'll see that the ECU needs replacing. I've gone through this **** at nissan and I finally fixed it myself (well, my car fixed itself). I was Driving to Florida from Jersey, and the SES just turned off in North Carolina.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:06 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Let them change it under warranty then they'll see that the ECU needs replacing. I've gone through this **** at nissan and I finally fixed it myself (well, my car fixed itself). I was Driving to Florida from Jersey, and the SES just turned off in North Carolina.
SES just turned off while driving? Sounds like it could have been tripped by an oxygen sensor.

At high speeds and such, the oxygen sensors will tell the ecm to run rich for more power. Normally this would trip a DTC and your ses lamp will light. But the ecm is supposed to ignore it. I confirmed this myself. I used a odb-II scanner and reset my light. Hop on the freeway and went to town on those weaker hondas soon enough, there was the ses light. When I checked, I got code P0138. If I reset it again and drive normally (read speed limits) the lamp will not light.

What I got was the total run around. Heres the time line:
1) Throttle body serviced, high RPM SES code P0507.
2) Shop doesnt know what to do.
3) ESM says check for air intake leak, ng replace ECM
4) Dealer says under 80,000 mile warranty, ecm replacment is free
5) Day later dealer says P0221, P0223, P1224 ECM is good, throttle is bad
6) I bought a used throttle, no more P0221, P0223, P1224
7) Dealer now says the ecm is bad

Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 PM

did you clear the faults with the original TB and make sure they came back?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
did you clear the faults with the original TB and make sure they came back?
Dealership must have manually adjusted something which was causing those TPS codes. -edit- Yes I reset the DTCs and tried to get the idle air learn without CONSULT-II for a few days. Soon as I let it idle in park for a minute, all those codes came back. -edit-

Well they finally agreed with me and did the idle air learn and it solved the P0507 code. But I am dissatisfied with the overall experience. The first throttle should not have been replaced, it was still good before the dealer touched my car. Idle air learn should have been done when I first took my maxima there.

So question, who can I bring this issue up to? Or should I just drop it and move on?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 PM

it would probably be easier to drop it and move on. you could try having them pay for your TB... they might go for it, depending on how much it costs.

based on their misdiagnosis and incorrect service procedure, of course.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:52 AM
RR5

Who would I go after? The stealership or NNA (Nissan of North America?) NNA when I called them weeks ago told me to get a second opinion. I'm calling NNA today and will clearly inform them of the original problem, new problem dealer created (which I fixed) then the final resolution.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM

it would be the dealer, unless NNA is willing to help them out.

then again, depends on if you have a honest and reasonable service manager.

NNA might be the better route. depends on the mgmt at the dealer. if the svc mgr doesnt wanna be reasonable, you can always to talk to the general manager.

it would also be helpful if thats the dealer where you bought the car.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
RR5

I probably want to call NNA and inform them of the substandard service I received.

I mean come on, 100% certian idle air learn would have resolved my P0507 with everything original on my car, no replacement throttle body needed..
Old 10-26-2005, 01:53 AM

hoooooooooly crap.

what a huge ordeal.

Glad to see its finally getting sorted out.

I would definatly inform NNA, then report back to dealership.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:57 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by chinaonnitrous1
hoooooooooly crap.

what a huge ordeal.

Glad to see its finally getting sorted out.

I would definatly inform NNA, then report back to dealership.
lol no kidding man, many thanks for that throttle body. You helped me stick it to the dealer.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 AM
RR5

Ok last question I swear!

Anyone know of a company that can perhaps repair my old throttle body?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:24 PM

theres nothing wrong with it, remember?

Originally Posted by RR5
I mean come on, 100% certian idle air learn would have resolved my P0507 with everything original on my car, no replacement throttle body needed..

either that or a replacement ECM, which would have been covered under warranty...

no doubt, a misdiagnosis...
Old 03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
RR5

Just a follow up on this issue. After I dropped in the used throttle body and took it to the dealer again, I told them I replaced the throttle body now replace the ECM because idle air volume learn is not "sticking". After I would idle air volume learn, shut off the engine, and start it back up; same DTC.

Dealer told me they used consult II to idle air volume learn, no more DTC. Morons, they should have done that from day one.