5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Creaking/Tapping/Thunk Noise From Front

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 06:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have not seen any posts about this noise since December of 2000. Anyone else having this problem????

After starting my car and driving a few feet, I hear a clunk. There is also a slight vibration. I have noticed over the months it is more prominent after a cold start. If the car has been running recently, it still does this, but it is tough to detect.

From the post I read in December, the Strut Mount's rubber bushing was suspected. I mentioned this to the dealer a few weeks ago, but they did not replace it. In fact, they didn't replace any parts, but lubricated & tightened steering & suspension components. They were only able to reproduce the clunk ONE time in the shop. Nothing they did fixed the problem.

I saw a service bulletin on the NHSTA website about the strut rod on the right side. I am not positive, but I think my clunk is coming from the driver's side. Not sure if this is related?!?!

Please share any experiences or ideas. Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2001, 10:50 PM

Does the car steer differently when cold?

My experience has been that it does not matter if it is hot or cold if there is a suspension problem: the suspension problem will always be there.

When you say it goes a few feet, does the noise cease and you don't hear it again until the next day?

I would suggest when you hear it, swear side-to-side quickly, race car style, to see if the noise increase or decreases.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:59 AM

I seem to have that same clunking noise your talking about..
It would always happen after engaging first gear and as the clutch would slowly come up and the car rolling about 2-3 feet, that rapid successtion of "clunk clunk clunk" would be there. It doesn't matter if the weather is hot or cold or if the car was recently running. I brought this up at the dealer when I did oil the change...they said they didn't hear it.....
Next time, I will have the service advisor and tech sit in the car. I couln't do that last time since I picked up the car after hours. Would appreciate any updates from anyone who experienced the same...
Old 05-31-2001, 12:34 PM

Creaks while driving

I get the creaks when I go over a series of bumps.
Before and after the Eibachs.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:37 PM

I am experiencing that same clucking noise. but it's on recently. i'm goin to drop my car off next week and see what they say.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:49 PM

I get occasional groans and I blame it on the suspension mods.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by 2kseman
I seem to have that same clunking noise your talking about..
It would always happen after engaging first gear and as the clutch would slowly come up and the car rolling about 2-3 feet, that rapid successtion of "clunk clunk clunk" would be there. It doesn't matter if the weather is hot or cold or if the car was recently running. I brought this up at the dealer when I did oil the change...they said they didn't hear it.....
Next time, I will have the service advisor and tech sit in the car. I couln't do that last time since I picked up the car after hours. Would appreciate any updates from anyone who experienced the same...
My Maxima is an automatic, so perhaps transmission is not a culprit...if your 5-speed does it too. Based on the old post I read 6 months ago....and the service bulletin I saw from NHSTA, its gotta be suspension related.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:37 PM

Re: Creaks while driving

Originally posted by max34
I get the creaks when I go over a series of bumps.
Before and after the Eibachs.
My car is all factory and it doesn't creak on the bumps. I only have problems moving from a stop, after starting.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:28 PM

Do you let the car warm up before moving or do you take off after a few seconds after starting?
Old 06-01-2001, 12:12 AM

I don't think it has anything to do about warming up the car. I think it's suspension related. That clucking noise is getting on my nerve. It's doesn't happen every time, but it comes and goes.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Do you let the car warm up before moving or do you take off after a few seconds after starting?
As always, I give the car a little time to warm up before driving.....but that doesn't make a difference either.
Old 06-02-2001, 08:33 PM

I have the same noise 2kseman

described.

After engaging 1st gear and driving a few feet as I let the clutch out, I hear that "clunk clunk clunk" noise from the front. It goes away when the clutch is fully engaged.

I think it might be something other than the suspension.
I don't have any suspension mods.
Old 06-03-2001, 04:23 PM

Re: I have the same noise 2kseman

Originally posted by ArcticMax
described.

After engaging 1st gear and driving a few feet as I let the clutch out, I hear that "clunk clunk clunk" noise from the front. It goes away when the clutch is fully engaged.

I think it might be something other than the suspension.
I don't have any suspension mods.
ArticMax,
I plan to bring this concern up when I go to the dealer next time and will post their findings, and this time, I will insist the service advisor and tech. to sit in the car so they can hear what we're talking about. Otherwise, I'm 99% sure that they wouln't "hear" anything, you know, typicla dealer answers...if you solve this before I, let us know.....thanks.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:16 PM

Have you guys check out the wheel? R all the lugs fastened?
In my case of the clucking noise, I found 2 of the nuts loose. That's strange, cuz I fasten them really tight too.
My clucking noise went away now. I guess it wasn't suspension problem for me. Plus are all these noise coming from maual maximas?
Old 06-04-2001, 08:11 PM
2K1 MAX SE

Originally posted by nizmomx
In my case of the clucking noise, I found 2 of the nuts loose. That's strange, cuz I fasten them really tight too.
My clucking noise went away now. I guess it wasn't suspension problem for me. Plus are all these noise coming from maual maximas?
mine does the same thing (auto), i notice it mostly after the car has been sitting for a couple of hours....i am hesitant to bring it to the dealer for the "could not duplicate noise" response.....anyone have any ideas on what the heck it could be???????

Old 06-05-2001, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by nizmomx
Had my lug nuts torgued when I got the C2 wheels, however, I will get them checked....thanks for the good advice..
Old 06-06-2001, 09:29 PM

i have 2001 SE and have the same problem. i hear a grinding sound on the right side of car near the tires. i let the car warm up and drive it for say a couple of blocks and here this grinding sound when i turn and when i apply the breaks. After a couple of blocks, i can't reproduce the sound. i only have about 140 miles on the car. i know if i drive the car into the dealer, they will not be able to reproduce bec. i can't even reproduce the sound after a couple of blocks. my 2 cents and i am pretty sure others have this problem. i'll see what the dealer can do.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:33 PM
2K1 MAX SE

maximlover, I also have a 2001 SE Auto , and am experiencing the same exact problem, I have 1000 miles on mine , and the dealer could not duplicate the noise when they had it.....it comes and goes , any luck yet finding out what it is????

Old 06-07-2001, 09:22 PM

Hey 2K1,

the funny thing is that i did not have the problem driving the car away from the dealership or days after. i was hoping that after the break in period it'll disappear. thought it may be part of the break in period. hearing that u have 1000 miles, i'm kinda skeptical. its an annoying sound but can't be reproduced after a couple of minutes or blocks which sux. i have not yet figured out whats wrong, i'll let u know when i do. laterz