5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do I????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 06:32 PM

Does anyone know how I can get a power wire from the engine compartment to the interior. I went searching under the dash today and found nothing....guess they don't want people like me messing with the electrical system.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:35 PM
Got Bent?

Do you need a wire that is always powered even when the car is off or only when the car is on?
Old 05-30-2001, 06:52 PM

I need a constant power wire from the battery to power an amplified bazooka tube.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:15 PM

I drilled a hole in this little diamond shaped area in the firewall on the driver's side.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:23 PM

if you have time...

You can run the power wire around the strut tower on the driver's side. The panel right behind there and right next to the firewall, there will be a hole with factory wiring running through. These wires go into the passanger cabin and they enter right behind your kick panel. You will need to take the plastic liner off around your wheel (not completely before you freak out ... but just enough to get your hands in there. You will be able to see a rubber grommett on the metal wall behind the wheel liner where the factory wires enter. Just take a knife of some sort, and cut a small hole to run the power wire through. Now push your wire through and there you have it. Nice neat and clean. You can now run the wire under the kick panel, and all trim panels to get it to the trunk (i assume that's where you have your tube). Now just make a good solid ground and you have it done.

Of course you could drill a hole like punkdork, but if you are running large gauge wire, finding grommetts to fit that hole is gonna be tough. 8 gauge or smaller should be no problem, but 4 guage and larger you will have to look around a little harder. And don't even think about drilling a hole and just putting the wire through there with no protection, unless you want your forum nickname changed to smokey or something!
Old 05-30-2001, 10:40 PM

When I installed my auto-dim mirror, I mounted wires in the bumper area and had to route the wires into the cabin. I followed the harness which runs within the driver's side wheel well liner. The large wire bundle goes into the cabin at this point through a rubber gromet. You could put the wire through there and hook it into your fuse box under the dash.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:19 AM

Re: if you have time...

Originally posted by ispeed
You can run the power wire around the strut tower on the driver's side. The panel right behind there and right next to the firewall, there will be a hole with factory wiring running through. These wires go into the passanger cabin and they enter right behind your kick panel. You will need to take the plastic liner off around your wheel (not completely before you freak out ... but just enough to get your hands in there. You will be able to see a rubber grommett on the metal wall behind the wheel liner where the factory wires enter. Just take a knife of some sort, and cut a small hole to run the power wire through. Now push your wire through and there you have it. Nice neat and clean. You can now run the wire under the kick panel, and all trim panels to get it to the trunk (i assume that's where you have your tube). Now just make a good solid ground and you have it done.

Of course you could drill a hole like punkdork, but if you are running large gauge wire, finding grommetts to fit that hole is gonna be tough. 8 gauge or smaller should be no problem, but 4 guage and larger you will have to look around a little harder. And don't even think about drilling a hole and just putting the wire through there with no protection, unless you want your forum nickname changed to smokey or something!

Thanks I'll take a look tonight and let you know how it went.