5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

damn automatics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 08:01 PM

rrr. my friend has a for focus zx3, he has a manual with intake and custom muffler... everytime we race he ALWAYS beats me off da start! this ****es me off.. then its just a matter of time before i catch up to him and leave him in my dust.. but still.. i want to beat cars off of starts! why cant i have a manual...!
sorry had to let off sum steam... peace
Old 05-30-2001, 08:02 PM

don't worry.
He fears automagics.
With my new exhaust my car is slower off the line too. But it quickly catches up and boom. i own them
Old 05-30-2001, 08:05 PM

err, well, at least you have someone to race =\

i think i live in the most boring town on long island... not one race EVER! im such a newb

i dont think im riced out enough =\
Old 05-30-2001, 08:34 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Race him in the 1/4 mile and see what happens.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:13 PM

but i dont have any performance mods..
and doo ball.. sorry to hear bout your situation...maybe its about time u moved eh?!?! haha
1/4 mile eh?? hmm... well... i know i will beat him well.. but still I WANT TO BEAT HIM OFF DA STARTS DANGIT!!! hahaha
i need to mod da car.. but me damn pooor
haha peace
Old 05-30-2001, 09:15 PM

Are you manually shifting, meaning starting out in D1, moving into D2, then into D, with OD off? I get much, much better acceleration driving this way than just panning it in D.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:17 PM

you could try putting a big cork in your tail pipes to get more back pressure..... its worth a shot!!
Old 05-30-2001, 09:19 PM

uuuh.. no.. just in D... its the plain foot off the break.. foot on the gas.. haha im too lazy to torgue launch or whatever.. i tried doing that down a street onnce.. but i cant exactly shift it right... once i went from d1 right to drive, skipped d2.. and i dunno when to change positions...
when do u change from d1-d2-d??
what rpm or whatu look for?
Old 05-30-2001, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by speedracer
uuuh.. no.. just in D... its the plain foot off the break.. foot on the gas.. haha im too lazy to torgue launch or whatever.. i tried doing that down a street onnce.. but i cant exactly shift it right... once i went from d1 right to drive, skipped d2.. and i dunno when to change positions...
when do u change from d1-d2-d??
what rpm or whatu look for?
D1= redline is 40 mph but switch at 5900rpms without taking your foot off of the gas
D2= 6400 rpms good to about 80 mph which is redline
D= overdrive off 125mph
D= i dunno havent had a long enough road!

dont take your foot off the gas and it is not nessesary to push in the button on the shifter just firmly move it up!
Old 05-30-2001, 10:30 PM

yeah, but, wouldn't you damage the tranny if you don't let off of the gas?

Originally posted by WILLSE

D1= redline is 40 mph but switch at 5900rpms without taking your foot off of the gas
D2= 6400 rpms good to about 80 mph which is redline
D= overdrive off 125mph
D= i dunno havent had a long enough road!

dont take your foot off the gas and it is not nessesary to push in the button on the shifter just firmly move it up!
Old 05-30-2001, 10:38 PM

Start in D1 with OD off (the OD light turned ON on your dash), and just floor it enough not to spin the tires. Slit it into D2 about 6000~6500 RPM. It will take a second or two for the auto tranny to make up it's mind, and the RPM's will climb while it's thinking about it up into the optimum shift point. Keep doing this up until D. The idea is to take it up to redline before shifting to the next gear.

Watch the tach. The rev limiter will prevent you from busting the engine.

Don't worry about moving the gear selector into R inadvetently. The shift lever will not allow this to happen. Just remember when shifting from D1->D2->D that you do NOT use the push button on the side. This will ensure you don't try to put the car in R.

Play around with it on side streets, or before hooking up with your buddy, and you'll get the hang of it.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by speedracer
rrr. my friend has a for focus zx3, he has a manual with intake and custom muffler... everytime we race he ALWAYS beats me off da start! this ****es me off.. then its just a matter of time before i catch up to him and leave him in my dust.. but still.. i want to beat cars off of starts
You're in serious need of a ProTorque TC. =)
Old 05-30-2001, 11:26 PM

Don't feel bad.

Originally posted by DooBall
err, well, at least you have someone to race =\

i think i live in the most boring town on long island... not one race EVER! im such a newb

i dont think im riced out enough =\
I have yet to race anyone here in Nashville, TN. There are a lot of riced out cars around here but they are afraid to race. I know what it is, they fear the Maxima!
Old 05-31-2001, 08:55 PM

hhm.. i see i see. tanks everyone for da input... i will give it a try here and there and then race him again.. hopefully there will be a better outcome for me!
peace
Old 05-31-2001, 09:37 PM

I'd definitely recommend brake torquing...

If you want to beat him "off the line" then that implies beating him from 1000rpm in 1st gear. By the time you get to redline in 1st you're already beyond "off the line"

To get a better launch, "brake-torque" by holding your left foot on the brake, and then put your right foot on the gas and bring the revs up a bit.

On the Accord V6, the optimal brake-torque launch is achieved by holding the revs at 1800rpm and then flooring it just as you take your foot off the brakes. The stall speed of our stock torque converter is 2100rpm, so the additional inertia of the engine accelerating up to the max stall speed (2100rpm) just as your letting off of the brakes allows us to "flash" the torque converter up to 2400rpm or so for a much better launch. Initially holding the revs at the max stall speed doesn't allow any additional engine acceleration when you launch, and then you can't flash the torque converter momentarily up to a higher "induced" stall, and then you don't get as good of a launch.

So you'll get the best launch by holding the revs at a slightly lower engine speed than the stock stall speed, and then flooring it just as you let off the brakes. This has all been track tested and proven by one of the other hardcore SHO Accord V6 memebers, BNut.

So just adjust this as necessary for the Maxima.

I know your engine has MUCH more low-end torque than our Accord V6 does, though, so wheel spin might become a problem and you might not need to brake-torque as much as we do.

Also, DO NOT EVER brake-torque for more than a few seconds at a time. You'll quickly overheat your tranny and you can reduce its long-term life by doing this. If you're going to do it often I'd highly recommend a tranny cooler.

Hopefully this will help you beat your friend's "Fucus" off the line
Old 05-31-2001, 11:31 PM

Re: I'd definitely recommend brake torquing...

Originally posted by stevepake
(snip)

Hopefully this will help you beat your friend's "Fucus" off the line
That should be "tuchas", I think...