5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

20th Ann. 0-60 in over 8 secs. H E L P ! !

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by wmax2k
BlackAE: Do you have a lot of junk in the trunk? My car runs in the low 9's as well, but that's with a full tank of gas and 200 lbs. of **** in the trunk. Weight makes a pretty big difference.
I have a towel, a Nissan fold-up chair, some electrician's tape, a few miscellaneous tools, an air filter and whatever else came with the car. I have a 3/4 tank of gas. I myself weigh 175 pounds. I was testing with no other passengers.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:54 PM

Re: 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are similar, but NOT the same...

Originally posted by stevepake
Whoa there, buddy. 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are NOT the same thing. 100kmh = 62mph, and YES, it DOES make a difference in the time.

This thread came up on my SHO Accord V6 board once and I made a very very rough 0-100kmh => 0-60mph compensator of -0.44s to convert 0-100kmh to 0-60mph.

The stock Accord V6 and Maxima automagic have VERY SIMILAR stock performance numbers so if you take that same rough calculation and apply it to the Max automagic you can lop off 0.44s from your 0-100kmh number.

That brings you down to 7.96s 0-60mph which I believe is right about where a stock Maxima automagic is, without powershifting at redline.

So anyways, I kinda lost track of this thread, but just be sure that you're comparing the same numbers.
I'm still getting pitiful numbers no matter how you look at it. I just took off the OSCAI and K&N filter and took it back to same stretch of highway. Now I'm getting 9.85sec. I took it to a differant road and got 10.2sec. Hey, at least the OSCAI seems to have made a differance. I'm thinking I really must have abused the poor thing. The engine sounds fine but, then again, I'm no expert in this regard and it's still only got 3500km on it. When I took the K&N filter out I noticed a lot of sand and grit around the edges. Is it possible that this same sand and grit has been squeezing around the edges of the filter and entering the engine? Crikey, I hope not!

What would happen if this is the case? Is it possible that I have wrecked my engine by installing the OSCAI with K&N? What symptoms would be expected? What can be done to repair the engine if this did happen? I'm worried that the technicians at Nissan will ask too many questions, notice the hole in my splash-guard, take a look at the air scoop and figure out what I've been up to and blame it on my modification.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:43 PM

Re: 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are similar, but NOT the same...

Yup... they are different, but it can't possibly make THAT much of a difference.. I did the calculations (a curve fit, etc.) for a 911 turbo here once, and the diff was only like .2 seconds. Now, let's say worst case scenario that it was off by .6 or even .8 seconds... that's still way over what a 5 spd Maxima AE should be doing!!!!

-Tom Z.

Originally posted by stevepake
Whoa there, buddy. 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are NOT the same thing. 100kmh = 62mph, and YES, it DOES make a difference in the time.

This thread came up on my SHO Accord V6 board once and I made a very very rough 0-100kmh => 0-60mph compensator of -0.44s to convert 0-100kmh to 0-60mph.

The stock Accord V6 and Maxima automagic have VERY SIMILAR stock performance numbers so if you take that same rough calculation and apply it to the Max automagic you can lop off 0.44s from your 0-100kmh number.

That brings you down to 7.96s 0-60mph which I believe is right about where a stock Maxima automagic is, without powershifting at redline.

So anyways, I kinda lost track of this thread, but just be sure that you're comparing the same numbers.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are similar, but NOT the same...

Originally posted by tomz17
Yup... they are different, but it can't possibly make THAT much of a difference.. I did the calculations (a curve fit, etc.) for a 911 turbo here once, and the diff was only like .2 seconds.
Well that makes sense because a 911 turbo has just a **BIT** more power than a Maxima or Accord V6

Obviously when you've got close to double the power at the wheels the difference between 60 and 62mph isn't gonna be very much, but when you're talking about 4DSC's with half the horsepower you could say it's going to be about double the time.

I based my Accord V6 calculation on the fact that it could get to 60mph in 7.7sec (C&D), and to 70mph in 9.9sec (also C&D). That's a difference of 2.2s. Because there was no gear change and the engine would have been pulling hard right through the power band of the engine I assumed the acceleration between 60 and 70 to be about constant and linear, so i made the assumption that it would take (2.2s/10mph = ) 0.22s to gain 1mph of speed in the Accord V6 between 60 and 70mph. Since 100 km/h = 62mph, you need to gain 2 mph total for a total of 0.22s/mph * 2mph = 0.44s.

So that was how I got my converter for the Accord V6. You could do something similar for the Maxima as well (or any car for that matter) and it'll probably work out pretty well as long as there's not a gear change to screw things up. It might not be dead-on, but definitely "ballpark" which was what I was shooting for anyways

The car I was converting was actually the UK Accord V6 Coupe which was quoted at 8.4s to 62mph. After the conversion it came out to 7.96s to 60mph which was still a little high, so maybe acceleration was much quicker than expected in the lower 60's and fell off as the engine reached redline as it approached and passed 70mph. That made sense since peak torque was at 4700rpm which would have long passed. Anyways, it was ballpark

Now, let's say worst case scenario that it was off by .6 or even .8 seconds... that's still way over what a 5 spd Maxima AE should be doing!!!!
err, well, I think these most recent guys were talking about automagic AE's so they'll still be much slower than a 5spd Max.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:15 PM

Since you've removed the OSCAI and the K&N, I would recommend you disconnect the battery for at least 1 hour, then take it out for another run. From what you have posted, it will probably be the same. If so, just take it to the dealer. They should be able to hook it up to their computers and do some stuff.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:16 PM

Re: I'm even crappier!

Originally posted by BlackAE

I have been less than impressed with my performance but never bothered to really look into it and never had any good races to realize how substandard my Maxima's performance was. Anyway, after reading your post I went out to the highway to check it out with my stopwatch. My first run was a pitiful 9.62 sec. Since it was windy and also to accomodate for any slope in the highway I returned in the opposite direction and got a 9.42! My wife's Suzuki can probably match those numbers! I did notice that the gears change at exactly 6000rpm but that still doesn't explain the slowness. After I had installed my OSCAI I had unplugged the battery for 45 minutes so I don't think the ECU is the problem. I'm doing it again right now (for 1 hour) and checking for floor mat/carpet problems. If I don't get some better numbers I'll have to take it in to Nissan. Thanks bramirez for bringing this to my attention, but I'm kind of depressed right now.
but he has a 5speed and you have an auto.
Old 06-02-2001, 06:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are similar, but NOT the same...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevepake
I based my Accord V6 calculation on the fact that it could get to 60mph in 7.7sec (C&D), and to 70mph in 9.9sec (also C&D). That's a difference of 2.2s. Because there was no gear change and the engine would have been pulling hard right through the power band of the engine I assumed the acceleration between 60 and 70 to be about constant and linear, so i made the assumption that it would take (2.2s/10mph = ) 0.22s to gain 1mph of speed in the Accord V6 between 60 and 70mph. Since 100 km/h = 62mph, you need to gain 2 mph total for a total of 0.22s/mph * 2mph = 0.44s.
[QUOTE]

Oh, I can assure you that it is definitely not linear... but you'll definitely get close (depending on how you want to define "close")...

err, well, I think these most recent guys were talking about automagic AE's so they'll still be much slower than a 5spd Max.
Actually, any way you calculate it... ANY Maxima (automatic, or manual), running 0-60 or even 0-62 in 9 seconds should **NOT** have left the Nissan factory.. That is just way too high... Wonder what the quarter mile would be like...

-Tom
Old 06-02-2001, 07:05 PM

the slowest Maxima

Originally posted by tomz17

Actually, any way you calculate it... ANY Maxima (automatic, or manual), running 0-60 or even 0-62 in 9 seconds should **NOT** have left the Nissan factory.. That is just way too high... Wonder what the quarter mile would be like...

-Tom
Maybe it left the factory fine and my OSCAI/K&N ruined it. The car runs fine until I flat out accelerate. I spent the first half of it's life driving relatively slow. Then I installed the OSCAI and started to drive it a little more aggressively and was not overwhelmed by the power but satisfied enough not to complain. After barely keeping up with a Ford Ltd recently and then reading bramirez's post I began to wonder.

Then there was the sand and grit around my K&N which I suspect was not locked in place solidly leading me to suspect that debris made it past the filter. I'll take it in to my local Nissan dealer soon and see what they have to say about it. I'll make a post to let you all know.

Question : Should I tell Nissan about the K&N filter or will they void my warranty?
Old 06-02-2001, 08:08 PM

Re: the slowest Maxima

Maybe it left the factory fine and my OSCAI/K&N ruined it. The car runs fine until I flat out accelerate. I spent the first half of it's life driving relatively slow. Then I installed the OSCAI and started to drive it a little more aggressively and was not overwhelmed by the power but satisfied enough not to complain. After barely keeping up with a Ford Ltd recently and then reading bramirez's post I began to wonder.

Then there was the sand and grit around my K&N which I suspect was not locked in place solidly leading me to suspect that debris made it past the filter. I'll take it in to my local Nissan dealer soon and see what they have to say about it. I'll make a post to let you all know.

Question : Should I tell Nissan about the K&N filter or will they void my warranty?
Return the car to stock before you bring it to dealer. They will blame you for everything regardless so dont give them any ammo..
Best regards,
Fast Walker
Old 06-02-2001, 09:22 PM

Has anyone ever had a car that was faster than what the Manufacturer has said? I once drove my friends 00 Mazda Protege DX with an automatic at the local drag strip. Ive read that these DX model proteges are pretty damn slow with automatics. They supposedly run like 10-11 seconds to 60 and run the quarter in the 17's. With manual shifting and the OD off (Damn those mazda trannys are strong) I pulled a quarter mile in 16.4! According to my eyes and the speedo, I got to 60 in like 9 seconds. Thats closing into the Protege ES range at 0-60 in 8.4 seconds. Thats with the 1.8 liter. I dunno what it runs with the new 2.0. I didnt want to try my 98 protege ES down the strip though. Hmm, I would really like to try my GLE, but Im skeered that something might break. My GLE has been good to me. No paint problems. The Tranny slips Very Rarely (Only after its Warm, on turns, and on wet roads) and so forth.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh man......
i get these problems too,i have some stupid sound from my engine room,everytime either i start my engine or shut it off,there would be some "geegeegee" sound. and when i slam down the gas hard,the rpm needle go smoothly all the way up to about 5500 then it goes really slow to red line,like 1 sec.
I took my maxima to the dealer and ask them to inspect it,after an hour i got my car back...they give me the answer"everthing is normal" since they can't find any problem on it.... anyone can give a suggestion or tell me if your maxima have that stupid sound when you start or shut the engine
Old 06-03-2001, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: first...

Originally posted by TimW
I would check the obvious... GAS!!! change gas stations.

I will assume you are using 91+ and are not at a high altitude. Change brands of gas. there may be some detergent or something in the brand you are using... or water.

Secondly... Have the plugs and coils checked. There are cases of fuel fouled plugs, even on very low mileage cars.
Also, there are cases of bad coils.

there will be no codes stored with any of these. (usually), so service will blow you off.. they need check engine codes to get paid (kinda). No service light or stored code, they wont want to help you.

BTW, a reading on the Consult should be about $70 (or under warranty). You may have to beg to get them to swap out coils until they find a bad one. not fun.

good luck
You guys are not going to like this, but Tim's response is dead on the money. The only thing he didn't mention was to service the injectors, but he alluded to that in his recommendation on changing gasoline brands.

Whether we like it our not, our 5th Gen Maximas have high-performance, high-compression engines. The higher the performance, the lower the tolerance for such things as fouled injectors, leaky coils, fuel additives and the like. On top of that, our ECM diagnostics are not sensitive enough to keep pace with the demands of our engines. So oftentimes you'll know that something's wrong but the ECM lacks the ability to diagnose it.

I just went through this with Nissan. I was suffering an intermittent detonation/hesitation problem. The engine just didn't seem to want to pull properly, particularly at low rpms. Using a combination of persistence and a whole lot of patience, I eventually persuaded Nissan to provide me with a new set of coils even though my ECM never generated a Check Engine Light and I was never able to replicate the problem in front of my dealer. When my dealer swapped out the coils, I also had them service the injectors at my own expense. That seems to have fixed the problem . . . at least for now.

For more information, do a search in the 5th Gen Forum under the following:

Gasoline
Unocal
Coils
Detonation
Knock
Ping

By the way, I doubt the K&N Panel Filter is the problem. The stock airbox holds the filter tightly against the filter housing. It's practically impossible for foreign material to enter from around the sides of the filter. Also, I don't recommend spending your money on a Consult diagnostic. If your ECM hasn't thrown a Check Engine Light, it probably hasn't stored an error code either.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:05 AM

Re: Re: first...

Originally posted by y2kse

You guys are not going to like this, but Tim's response is dead on the money. The only thing he didn't mention was to service the injectors, but he alluded to that in his recommendation on changing gasoline brands.

Whether we like it our not, our 5th Gen Maximas have high-performance, high-compression engines. The higher the performance, the lower the tolerance for such things as fouled injectors, leaky coils, fuel additives and the like. On top of that, our ECM diagnostics are not sensitive enough to keep pace with the demands of our engines. So oftentimes you'll know that something's wrong but the ECM lacks the ability to diagnose it.

I just went through this with Nissan. I was suffering an intermittent detonation/hesitation problem. The engine just didn't seem to want to pull properly, particularly at low rpms. Using a combination of persistence and a whole lot of patience, I eventually persuaded Nissan to provide me with a new set of coils even though my ECM never generated a Check Engine Light and I was never able to replicate the problem in front of my dealer. When my dealer swapped out the coils, I also had them service the injectors at my own expense. That seems to have fixed the problem . . . at least for now.

Gasoline
Unocal
Coils
Detonation
Knock
Ping

By the way, I doubt the K&N Panel Filter is the problem. The stock airbox holds the filter tightly against the filter housing. It's practically impossible for foreign material to enter from around the sides of the filter. Also, I don't recommend spending your money on a Consult diagnostic. If your ECM hasn't thrown a Check Engine Light, it probably hasn't stored an error code either.

Geez your car must be loud huh?
Did You leave the resonator on?
can you make a wav file so i can hear it?
Thanx,
Fast Walker
Old 06-03-2001, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: first...

Originally posted by Fast Walker

Geez your car must be loud huh?
Did You leave the resonator on?
can you make a wav file so i can hear it?
Thanx,
Fast Walker
Send me an e-mail at bld522@yahoo.com and we'll take this off line.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:59 PM

Gasoline
Unocal
Coils
Detonation
Knock
Ping

Thanks people for the advice. We'll see what happens. If my car is as slow as I think it is then I don't see how they can say that nothing is wrong. It's not just occasionally slow, but consistantly slow. In case it's of any use to anyone I have some more acceleration stats I collected today:

0-50kph : 3.74 sec
50-100kph : 5.95 sec
100-130kph : 7.52 sec

Hopefully the dealership won't mind drag racing with me.

Question : Any advice on how to respond if they ask me about the cut in my air intake and the 2 inch hole in my deflector?
Old 06-04-2001, 05:37 AM

Re: 20th AE is slow

Originally posted by jopa
I feel that my 20th ae is slow too. I haven't tested against the clock but everything at stoplights pulls away from this car.

I was going to give the engine a little break-in time, plus give me time to discover the best RPM's for each gear and then check it again, but it sure feels weak.

Maybe they did like Mazda did with the Miata and mis-represent the HP numbers. Mazda got outed by Car & Driver when they realized that a new "supposedly" higher HP Miata was slower than a previous model. After a dyno test the results showed that Mazda misrepresented the numbers.

They ended up having to offer full refunds on all of the affected Miata's.

Test your self a few times with a stop watch and share your best times with us. If you can, race a 2000 SE (5SPD of course) to compare.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:39 AM

Sounds like a problem i was having..

My cpu dropped its memory the reprogramed it and away I went
A easy test is start the car and purt it in gear right away..
If the car stalls its the cpu

Good luck and try mor dealers or use the lemon law to force them to take it back.
You need five recepts for the same problem so make sure you get documentation from each dealership stating same problem. If they fight you it cost them 3x your fees including the price of the car so they will usually cave in. Thay are not going to make it easy.
Could you explain the "LEMON LAW". It may be worth looking into.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:51 AM

Re: I'm even crappier!

I have been less than impressed with my performance but never bothered to really look into it and never had any good races to realize how substandard my Maxima's performance was. Anyway, after reading your post I went out to the highway to check it out with my stopwatch. My first run was a pitiful 9.62 sec. Since it was windy and also to accomodate for any slope in the highway I returned in the opposite direction and got a 9.42! My wife's Suzuki can probably match those numbers! I did notice that the gears change at exactly 6000rpm but that still doesn't explain the slowness. After I had installed my OSCAI I had unplugged the battery for 45 minutes so I don't think the ECU is the problem. I'm doing it again right now (for 1 hour) and checking for floor mat/carpet problems. If I don't get some better numbers I'll have to take it in to Nissan. Thanks bramirez for bringing this to my attention, but I'm kind of depressed right now.
Please keep me posted on your results. I am currently talking with my dealer. They are going to set up a meeting with the district Nissan rep. I am kinda iffy about this meeting. I wonder as to what his brush off line is going to be.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by bramirez

Could you explain the "LEMON LAW". It may be worth looking into.
The Lemon Law is a law that protests consumers from the purchase of a defective car. They very from state to state
Basically if you bring a car in for the same repair at least 5x for the same thing the manufacture is suppose to take it back for a full refund or give you a new car thats comparable for the same price.
I used this law against dodge on a Dakota because of paint defects. I had to go thru 3 interviews with dodge people who did there best to discourge me. I held my ground and during the last interview when I opened up a giant folder full of pictures and receipts from the dealer for repair the man caved and said get him whatever he wants.
They fear the giant documetation so keep track of every phone call, Letter and visit. Plus make sure you have receipts from the dealer stating problems.
Good Luck,
Fast Walker
Old 06-04-2001, 07:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: first...

Question : Any advice on how to respond if they ask me about the cut in my air intake and the 2 inch hole in my deflector?
hehe... "It came that way", "DAMN RATS!!!", or my personal favorite "Vehicle is functioning as designed at this time.."

-Tom Z.

PS.. I believe the warranty information for each state is printed inside the warranty booklet that came with your car...
Old 06-05-2001, 05:47 AM
seunghwany76

Re: Re: Re: slow 20th

seems like 20th SE owner having troble
i just got my 20th SE last week...and i have not checked the 0-60 yet...but i feel like my 20th fast!
even 5more HP...it supposed to be..i think
does 5 more HP really work?

Old 06-05-2001, 05:50 AM

The Lemon Law is a law that protests consumers from the purchase of a defective car. They very from state to state
Basically if you bring a car in for the same repair at least 5x for the same thing the manufacture is suppose to take it back for a full refund or give you a new car thats comparable for the same price.
I used this law against dodge on a Dakota because of paint defects. I had to go thru 3 interviews with dodge people who did there best to discourge me. I held my ground and during the last interview when I opened up a giant folder full of pictures and receipts from the dealer for repair the man caved and said get him whatever he wants.
They fear the giant documetation so keep track of every phone call, Letter and visit. Plus make sure you have receipts from the dealer stating problems.
Good Luck,
Fast Walker
This sounds great. Problem is I live in Toronto, Canada. If anyone knows of a similar law over in Canada please advice. Thanks for your response Fast Walker.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:12 AM

Re: Re: 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are similar, but NOT the same...

I'm still getting pitiful numbers no matter how you look at it. I just took off the OSCAI and K&N filter and took it back to same stretch of highway. Now I'm getting 9.85sec. I took it to a differant road and got 10.2sec. Hey, at least the OSCAI seems to have made a differance. I'm thinking I really must have abused the poor thing. The engine sounds fine but, then again, I'm no expert in this regard and it's still only got 3500km on it. When I took the K&N filter out I noticed a lot of sand and grit around the edges. Is it possible that this same sand and grit has been squeezing around the edges of the filter and entering the engine? Crikey, I hope not!

What would happen if this is the case? Is it possible that I have wrecked my engine by installing the OSCAI with K&N? What symptoms would be expected? What can be done to repair the engine if this did happen? I'm worried that the technicians at Nissan will ask too many questions, notice the hole in my splash-guard, take a look at the air scoop and figure out what I've been up to and blame it on my modification.
My AE was also in the 9 sec range. I took it to the dealer and they reset the computer and cleared the throttle. This seemed to take me to 8.35 secs (this is an average. The lowest I've had is 7.97). Although I highly doubt that this would be the problem check for excessive mats under the gas pedal (Mat theory: Courtesy NISSAN techies)

Keep us posted on your times.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: slow 20th

Originally posted by seunghwany76
seems like 20th SE owner having troble
i just got my 20th SE last week...and i have not checked the 0-60 yet...but i feel like my 20th fast!
even 5more HP...it supposed to be..i think
does 5 more HP really work?
I am eager to see your results!
Old 06-05-2001, 06:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: 0-100kmh and 0-60mph are similar, but NOT the same...

Originally posted by bramirez

My AE was also in the 9 sec range. I took it to the dealer and they reset the computer and cleared the throttle. This seemed to take me to 8.35 secs (this is an average. The lowest I've had is 7.97). Although I highly doubt that this would be the problem check for excessive mats under the gas pedal (Mat theory: Courtesy NISSAN techies)

Keep us posted on your times.
Hi bramirez, I just started a thread on effects of altitude. I've got an appointment for oil change this Friday and I brought up the subject of low power. The guy I talked to said a lot of factors play a role in performance (i.e. weather, road conditions, etc.). I told him that I would like one of the people at the dealership to drive it and tell me what they think so we'll see what happens. He also said that my engine is still being broken in (3600km). How many km do you have? I find it hard to accept that things should need cleaning out so early in an engine's life. What kind of gas have you been using? I've been using Superstore gas but am going to change to Shell and see what differance it makes. Below are the numbers I am trying to improve on:

0-100kph : best = 8.77s (ave 9.55s)
0-50kph : best = 3.58s (ave 3.66s)
50-100kph : best = 5.67s (ave 5.90s)
100-130kph : tested twice at 8.30s and 6.74s

Mostly I've been checking 0-100kph so this will be my gauge since I consistantly get mid 9 second times. For the sake of consistancy I check times on the same section of highway.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:38 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

i dont get it..

why dont you dyno? it would correct for all of this.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:43 AM
spdracer666

You should DEFINITELY take your car to the dragstrip to see what you can do a timed 1/4 mile in. Your own 'caculations' are not going to be as accurate as the dragstrip's timer. You should also find another maxima and try to con the person into letting you take it for a run for a comparo (since no two drivers are the same).

Old 06-05-2001, 08:45 AM

Re: i dont get it..

why dont you dyno? it would correct for all of this.
Yet another penetrating observation from TimW. I'm getting tired of standing behind you waving the flag, Tim. Say something wrong so I can pound on you, damn it!

Old 06-05-2001, 09:00 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: i dont get it..

Yet another penetrating observation from TimW. I'm getting tired of standing behind you waving the flag, Tim. Say something wrong so I can pound on you, damn it!

<sarcasm>
Tim's using common sense, which shouldn't even be regarded as a response.
</sarcasm>

Old 06-05-2001, 09:23 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

You really need to

change your kanooter valve... then check your muffler bearings... its all all about ball bearings these days..

there, I did it
Old 06-05-2001, 09:28 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: You really need to

change your kanooter valve... then check your muffler bearings... its all all about ball bearings these days..

there, I did it

The flux capacitor could be faulty also. Isn't there TSB for that?

Old 06-05-2001, 10:40 AM

Gasoline
Unocal
Coils
Detonation
Knock
Ping

Lack of power at low rpm seems to be my problem. That is why I was getting 0-60 in the 9's. After the dealer cleared the throttle and reset the computer I went down to the 8's. Tell me what your best times were and what they are now after changing the coils and servicing the injectors.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:24 PM

Listen to TimW.

If a lack of low-end power is the problem, I'd also check the intake manifold-- just speculation, but the butterfly valve may be damaged? I've never heard of that happening before, though.

Take it to the dyno and see what kind of power you make. It should be at least 180fwhp SAE corrected, I've seen as high as 190fwhp uncorrected. Compare to stock dyno graphs from other 5th gen owners.

Beyond that, it's been said in this thread. I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:38 PM

Re: You really need to

there, I did it
Old 06-15-2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by emax95

I will be testing out my soon to be 2K1 max and see just how fast it is. I think a fully unloaded GXE on 15" Hub Caps and a almost empty tank of gas will be preatty close but not quite as quick. I don't know what the deal is with my 95 max but it is hella fast! I have wrecked so many cars with my max it's not even funny, the only car that ever beat me was a BMW 540I but just barely.
Have you tested your 2K1 Max? What was GTech 0-60 time?

One more thing. How did you get your 95 Max to do 0-60 in just over 6s? Was this time before or after mods? Have you tried other 95s and achieved the same results?