5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help, need some dignostics...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:08 PM
PTP

Help, need some diagnostic advice...

Having problems with the max...
So I was driving along and suddenly the airbag light, ABS light oil light come on and RPM and gas guage needles start bouncing round, cars shudders a little then the RPM needle drops to 0 but the car is still running for about another minute then I get worried and pull off to the shoulder then the car dies, just shuts off. It wont start again. It just makes a tick-tick-tick-tick noise. I check the simple stuff like fuses and there all clear. So while I am waiting for AAA I try to start it again and it starts. I drive about another 8 mins and all the same stuff happens again and it shuts off. So after waiting another 10 min it starts again but of course it dies again after 10 min.
Now its back sitting in my driveway. Any suggestions/ideas? BTW its a 2K auto.
thanks, any help is appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:51 PM

possible alternator not charging.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:14 PM

I'm guessing maybe something electrical. It could be a short somewhere. Did you pull a SES light at all?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:25 AM
PTP

Actually I do get a SES light when it shuts off but then if I wait the 5 min for it to come back on there is no SES light.

So I am guessing I should try to pull the code when the SES light is on right?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
PTP

Originally Posted by PTP
Actually I do get a SES light when it shuts off but then if I wait the 5 min for it to come back on there is no SES light.

So I am guessing I should try to pull the code when the SES light is on right?
OK checked the codes and NONE.

Anyone have any thoughts, need help!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm with Stewpid, sounds like it could be the alternator.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 PM
PTP

Originally Posted by ryand.white
I'm with Stewpid, sounds like it could be the alternator.
OK I dont know all the symptoms of a dying alternator but here are some more details of what its doing...

If i turn the key to the "ON" position and hit the hazard lights crazy stuff starts happening like guage neddles bouncing around, airbag/oil/ABS lights all flashing. If I play a CD the console lights dim...are all these sign of a bad alternator??

thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2005, 04:22 PM

its your alternator no question. when mine died i did the same thing...everything worked fine up until it just died, and when i tried starting i heard ticks, lights came on, and the needles start to climp and bounce. replace your alternator and you will be good as new
Old 10-17-2005, 04:27 PM
PTP

Originally Posted by merovi
its your alternator no question. when mine died i did the same thing...everything worked fine up until it just died, and when i tried starting i heard ticks, lights came on, and the needles start to climp and bounce. replace your alternator and you will be good as new

thanks all...now a followup, how difficult/easy is it to replace the alternator. I just looked at the motorvate website and it looks kinda complicated. All those pulleys and belts are kinda intimidating. My previous list of DIY jobs is only: front/rear brakes, throttle body cleaning, oil/transmission fluids and the starter. Should I attempt this or just take it to someone?