5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Acura Tl

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 09:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was reading some old posts and i realized that most of the people on this board hate the ACURA TL.I own a TL and my bro owns MAXIMA.We love each others cars.We often switch cars for the weekend and we really enjoy both cars.I personally prefer my ACURA because i get more luxury than my bro's MAXIMA + the same amount of sportiness(except for the manual tranny).Also i admit that the TL's styling is a bit more conservative than the MAXIMA but i think all together the acura is a better looking car.Now some of you are going to say ahhhh that tl is for old people and stuff.But u are all wrong.IF some of would prefer a little more sprotiness in the TL well than just get the TYPE S.I'm positive that if u MAXIMA owners would test drive that car you would want to change your MAXIMA's for a TYPE S without any doubt.

The TL's engine is one hell of an engine.I think that the maxima's and the TL's engines are the best V6 available on the market.I love the VTEC on my engine.IT pulls pulls and pulls.
Old 05-31-2001, 09:42 PM

Those two are actually the only 2 cars i considered buying. Stuck with the Maxima, SE version that is. Two fine Cars any way you compare em.
Old 05-31-2001, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by 99 BLACK TL
I was reading some old posts and i realized that most of the people on this board hate the ACURA TL.I own a TL and my bro owns MAXIMA.We love each others cars.We often switch cars for the weekend and we really enjoy both cars.I personally prefer my ACURA because i get more luxury than my bro's MAXIMA + the same amount of sportiness(except for the manual tranny).Also i admit that the TL's styling is a bit more conservative than the MAXIMA but i think all together the acura is a better looking car.Now some of you are going to say ahhhh that tl is for old people and stuff.But u are all wrong.IF some of would prefer a little more sprotiness in the TL well than just get the TYPE S.I'm positive that if u MAXIMA owners would test drive that car you would want to change your MAXIMA's for a TYPE S without any doubt.

The TL's engine is one hell of an engine.I think that the maxima's and the TL's engines are the best V6 available on the market.I love the VTEC on my engine.IT pulls pulls and pulls.
so.. wuts ur point? (not to be mean or nething just asking)
Old 05-31-2001, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

so.. wuts ur point? (not to be mean or nething just asking)
yeah, im kinda curious too...
Old 05-31-2001, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by 99 BLACK TL
Now some of you are going to say ahhhh that tl is for old people and stuff.But u are all wrong...I'm positive that if u MAXIMA owners would test drive that car you would want to change your MAXIMA's for a TYPE S without any doubt.
Well that's just your opinion and your perspective, and everybody is going to have a different one. I like the TL, too, and considered buying one but I didn't.

I love my Accord V6, you love your TL, and all of these guys here love their Maxima's.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by stevepake
Well that's just your opinion and your perspective, and everybody is going to have a different one. I like the TL, too, and considered buying one but I didn't.

I love my Accord V6, you love your TL, and all of these guys here love their Maxima's.
nicely said.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:29 PM

I think the people on the board are not against the TL/CL, they just hate the people who own a TL/Cl -S that talks crap and trashes other's cars. By the way, I think a TL is a nice car too.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:45 PM

These are both nice cars....

I test drove both before picking up my Max AE SE. These are both nice cars, but in MY opinion, the Max has better styling, and I do not like the fake wood trim in the TL. But the point is... this is my opinion... some will agree, other will disagree.
Agreed littledog... we just got tired of the Type-S guys thinking they got the fastest car on the road now. Just because some Max guys said they beat some Type-S guys. Hey, you win some, you lose some, right?
Old 05-31-2001, 11:49 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TL is a nice car...

But there are reasons why we get Maximas. I have a 4th gen and when I got it, the TL and CL had a much inferior engine than the Max. Now you look at a 5th gen Max vs a current TLS. Most of the time the TLS will win but the Max will outhandle it stock. Also, go to the CLS/TLS forums. Tranny this tranny that... The truth is, you abuse any automatic tranny, it'll go bad on you. But the Max has always had a 5 speed and THAT SINGLE REASON makes the Max more sporty in the eyes of many enthusiasts. You can abuse a 5 speed much more than an auto tranny car without having to worry about your tranny dying on you.

Yes I know that the CLS will get a six speed manual in August but the Max has one NOW. The Max will also get the 260 horsies and still be lighter than a CLS/TLS by several hundred pounds (current Max is about 3300 Fully loaded vs 3500 for CLS). Coupled with the six speed, the Max will probably be the faster car. I like the Acura's engine, but sorry, the VQ is BETTER. Rode in both and the VQ is smoooooth. Anyhow, I'm happy that you like the TL, but for us, the Max is here to stay
Old 06-01-2001, 05:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Both cars are nice

and the rivalry is good, hopefully it will just make both cars better.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:32 AM

Re: Both cars are nice

i was originally planning on getting a TL (early this year), but, when I found out the new TL Type-S was coming out, I died.

I wanted to the get "TL-S", but the wait was too long, so I got the next best thing, Maxima AE... but like, their was a 2 week wait on that too... so I got a GLE (damned woodtrim got me)

I've always talked about the Maxima with my freinds as a 'kid', and its kinda funny that I drive one now.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by littledog
I think the people on the board are not against the TL/CL, they just hate the people who own a TL/Cl -S that talks crap and trashes other's cars. By the way, I think a TL is a nice car too.
Exactly! I too considered the TL at the time I bought my car (TL-S was not available and the CL-S was not an option because I didn't want a coupe) and for me the end result was the max fit more of my needs than the TL. Both are great cars but I prefer the max but that by that doesn't mean I don't respect all cars and their owners.

and 99 black tl - yeah what is your point? I love my car - you love yours! End of story!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:05 AM

222 hp for $18,500

nuf said!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe someone should go to the TL board and count the # of bashings against the maxima vs bashings against the TL here.

You still think everyone hates the TL here?
Old 06-01-2001, 08:51 AM

I like the TL, I just like having a stick more.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:51 AM

if Acura brings out the TL-S with a 6sp

manual tranny.... then.... I will tip my hat to the TL-S. but then again the maxima will have a 260 hp with a 6sp manual for 2002. Now how is that for a Match up?
Old 06-01-2001, 10:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by FloMax
I like the TL, I just like having a stick more.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:19 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Maybe someone should go to the TL board and count the # of bashings against the maxima vs bashings against the TL here.

You still think everyone hates the TL here?

Well, I have direct experience actually driving both a 99TL and my 94 and 99 Max.

The obvious:

- VQ, overall, is smoother, TL auto makes the Max auto seem buttery-smooth; but TL is better on high end (VTEC, etc.)
- TL is built better (and it's not exactly a JD Power & Associates winner; but at least things feel like they're supposed to fit, unlike 4th gen Maximas)
- TL has better brakes (when OEM sized)
- Max has LOADS of personality compared to a TL
- Max.org has members who actually work on their cars, while acura-tl.com has members who seem REALLY scared to touch their cars. It's quite interesting to see some of their posts.....

But honestly, the cars aren't really comparable, except that Nissan (stupidly) overprices the Maxima and then offers $6k rebates, while the TL offers some luxury for a bargain price that they don't stand around apologizing for their prices.

99Max vs. 99TL slushboxes? TL hands-down. As for 5th gen comparo, I would say the gap has closed (speculation only).
Old 06-01-2001, 10:55 AM
OG and counting...

.....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

At one time, I considered the TL as well. The price fully loaded could not be beat. The sole option on that car was the navigation system for $2000. But when I sat in one, I was gravely disappointed with the legroom. For someone of my stature, there was not enough seat travel for me to feel comfortable. Also, the headroom was not too great, either. Maxes (Even the 5th Gen AE I test drove) have enough room to comfortably seat me and give me the level of performance I am looking for.

Would I buy a TL-S? No. For the asking price, I would do better with an older 540i. Would I buy a 2002 Maxima or I35? Yep. Would I bash either car? No.

You ask why I have a 3rd Gen as opposed to a 5th. Let's just say that for the amount of driving that I do, the price was right.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: .....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

Also the 3-gen build quality is almost unbeatable among the different gen maximas! Good choice!

Originally posted by PrinzII
At one time, I considered the TL as well. The price fully loaded could not be beat. The sole option on that car was the navigation system for $2000. But when I sat in one, I was gravely disappointed with the legroom. For someone of my stature, there was not enough seat travel for me to feel comfortable. Also, the headroom was not too great, either. Maxes (Even the 5th Gen AE I test drove) have enough room to comfortably seat me and give me the level of performance I am looking for.

Would I buy a TL-S? No. For the asking price, I would do better with an older 540i. Would I buy a 2002 Maxima or I35? Yep. Would I bash either car? No.

You ask why I have a 3rd Gen as opposed to a 5th. Let's just say that for the amount of driving that I do, the price was right.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:13 AM

Re: Re: .....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

Also the 3-gen build quality is almost unbeatable among the different gen maximas!

If I had said that, Kev would have to move this topic because of the barage of flames.......but since Jeff said it, it isn't considered to come from someone evil. I guess it's OK for him to make the claim.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: .....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

Originally posted by bill99gxe

If I had said that, Kev would have to move this topic because of the barage of flames.......but since Jeff said it, it isn't considered to come from someone evil. I guess it's OK for him to make the claim.

But we all know the 5th gen's the best.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: .....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

But we all know the 5th gen's the best.
The best at what?

Old 06-01-2001, 12:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: .....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

You know Bill! Chipping paint, slushy autos, herky jerky throttles etc... : )

The best what?

Old 06-01-2001, 12:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Ooooo... bad 3rd gen owners in here!

Go away!
5th gen owners~~><~~3rd gen owners
Old 06-01-2001, 12:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: .....and now a word from a 3rd Gen Owner

You know Bill! Chipping paint, slushy autos, herky jerky throttles etc... : )
I really hope TimW doesn't start replying, then it will get REALLY nasty.

"Sir, would you like your gas nozzle to be properly protected from the elements, or is it OK if we just leave it off?"

Jeff,

I've already seen 2 of those in my 99 Max.......I pray my slushbox won't start slipping. Of course, if I add that Tornado intake, then I may have to get the VB mod so I won't stress the tranny....
Old 06-01-2001, 12:16 PM

Ooooo... bad 3rd gen owners in here!

Go away!
5th gen owners~~><~~3rd gen owners
hehe......the 5th gen guys FEAR the 3rd gen guys......

If I keep this up, Kev's gonna show me what it feels like to be "moderated" upon.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

hehe......the 5th gen guys FEAR the 3rd gen guys......

If I keep this up, Kev's gonna show me what it feels like to be "moderated" upon.
We fear jOO?!?!?! We wouldn't want to waste our gas even for an easy roadkill like this.
Old 06-01-2001, 01:23 PM
Got Bent?

We fear jOO?!?!?! We wouldn't want to waste our gas even for an easy roadkill like this.

ooo....damn....
Old 06-01-2001, 01:37 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

ooo....damn....
They're speechless cuz they know it's true.
Old 06-01-2001, 01:44 PM

They're speechless cuz they know it's true.

Nah, speechless because you actually believe that rhetoric.....

Let's see....I can still add a good 80 ponies on my 94 slushbox before I have to worry about my automagic (and I can also actually UPGRADE my ECU)......meanwhile you 5th geners can't put more than a K&N panel filter without the tranny hiccupping......

Better yet, you have to get it fixed AT A NISSAN DEALER.

Furthermore, I bet Jeff92se can beat you right now....ticking and all.....

How's that for fightin' words?
Old 06-01-2001, 01:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

I wouldn't lose! I'd get bombarded by flying paint chips! I also got the upgraded suspension in order to avoid that auto tranny that just fell out!

Old 06-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I wouldn't lose! I'd get bombarded by flying paint chips! I also got the upgraded suspension in order to avoid that auto tranny that just fell out!

How would you get bombarded by flying paint chips if we're not in front of you?
Old 06-01-2001, 01:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

We have turbo option

80 ponies to add to your 94? What are you going to do? Drop a SC in it? Oh, I forgot... you don't have that option!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 01:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

We have turbo option

So do we!

You need custom work... we need custom work. Same deal.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:05 PM

Re: .

So do we!

Equations:

Drop an S/C in 5th gen slushbox = Tranny on ground
Drop an S/C in 5th gen 5-speed = Fast, when tranny doesn't decide to cut off fuel

Naturally, it's a good thing Jeff has Eibachs/Toks and a RSB to avoid that hunk of metal on the ground.

Actually, the 94 is bone stock, and I can only think of 50 or 60 easy ponies I could bolt on......
Old 06-01-2001, 02:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: .

What turbo option?!?! You mean add a turbo and have it blow up turbo option??

At least the 3-gen turbo options actually work!

So do we!

Old 06-01-2001, 02:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

So you admit your paint sucks?

"I said I wouldn't lose"

5-gen owners don't have to go to reading class I guess.

How would you get bombarded by flying paint chips if we're not in front of you?
Old 06-01-2001, 02:21 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: .

What turbo option?!?! You mean add a turbo and have it blow up turbo option??

At least the 3-gen turbo options actually work!
Note: JWT Turbo Max. *ahem*
Old 06-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Equations:

Drop an S/C in 5th gen slushbox = Tranny on ground
Drop an S/C in 5th gen 5-speed = Fast, when tranny doesn't decide to cut off fuel

Naturally, it's a good thing Jeff has Eibachs/Toks and a RSB to avoid that hunk of metal on the ground.

Actually, the 94 is bone stock, and I can only think of 50 or 60 easy ponies I could bolt on......
DMan_2KMax's sc'ed auto is fine. MY 4DSC's and The NEW Climax's sc'ed manuals are fine as well. jOO fear them!

What kind of bolt-ons will give you 50-60 ponies?

Quick Reply: Acura Tl