5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lowered car on 18" wheel, big bang on small bum, need susgestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM

Lowered car on 18" wheel, big bang on small bum, need susgestion

For those who lived in the city, like to heard from you guys how do u feel about your lowered car.

Currently I had lowered my car with Tein H and Illumina set on 2, with 18/225/45 all around.

Everytime I travel in the city, even cross a small bump the front was bang so hard that I affraid to bend my wheel, no to mention possibilty of damage other components. So I had to drive very careful and not enjoy driving such a good design car. thainking of going back to 17/225/50.

So what do you guys think? will the thicker side wall tire with less psi (32) oem will improve this case, especialy for u guys live in NYC. Gave me some input please.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by 98&00Max
For those who lived in the city, like to heard from you guys how do u feel about your lowered car.

Currently I had lowered my car with Tein H and Illumina set on 2, with 18/225/45 all around.

Everytime I travel in the city, even cross a small bump the front was bang so hard that I affraid to bend my wheel, no to mention possibilty of damage other components. So I had to drive very careful and not enjoy driving such a good design car. thainking of going back to 17/225/50.

So what do you guys think? will the thicker side wall tire with less psi (32) oem will improve this case, especialy for u guys live in NYC. Gave me some input please.
well, are you sure it's the wheels causing this "bang" i have 2 guesses.

1) it could be the wheel, and if so, 35 or 40 series would clear the gap, given your offset is good enough. we'd need more information about the wheels you have. and you really wouldn' thear a bang, but more of a rub. so please elaborate.

2) do you have an RSB? if so, i along with many others got noises from the rsb hitting their rear axle. the solution was to move the bracket over a few inches so it cleared the rear axle. that was causing a really loud BANGING noise.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by PoLo

2) do you have an RSB? if so, i along with many others got noises from the rsb hitting their rear axle. the solution was to move the bracket over a few inches so it cleared the rear axle. that was causing a really loud BANGING noise.

Sounds like classic RSB symptoms! Make sure you have that baby on properly!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:09 AM
SWIFT_Navigator

i cant help you out too much but when i asked about it i was told to keep the tire big like the 2000 rims are if you get new rims.. most bumps you hit wont affect the rim unless the tire is slimmed down and your hitting them at mid-higher speeds.

i think it looks worse with MORE tire but it does protect the rim, especially if you live in a pothole haven.

just a matter of weighing, the cost and benefit to you.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think its a common symptom of lowering springs. I get the same feeling to, even on stock 17s.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by PoLo
well, are you sure it's the wheels causing this "bang" i have 2 guesses.

1) it could be the wheel, and if so, 35 or 40 series would clear the gap, given your offset is good enough. we'd need more information about the wheels you have. and you really wouldn' thear a bang, but more of a rub. so please elaborate.

No, I don't have RSB (plan to get one) and no rub issue.
I think Italiano was right, once I was told by my mechanic that low profile tire had less air and will fell stiffer/harder(no soft cushion/air)

McAlert, is it same for u on 17s, what size of tire are u running? If the 50-sidewall still fell that bang I guess we had to live with it or go back to stock spring.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:52 PM

I'm on 235/45/17s.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:52 PM

The bang I think...........

I dont think its your RSB unless you heard the bang prior to lowering the car. My educated guess would be the person who installed your H-Techs probabley did not trim your bump stops. Hence not enough suspension travel. That bang is better than the bumpstops being trimmed to far and having the shocks take the punishment though.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
I'm on 235/45/17s.
Same here. No problems.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kevon1
I dont think its your RSB unless you heard the bang prior to lowering the car. My educated guess would be the person who installed your H-Techs probabley did not trim your bump stops. Hence not enough suspension travel. That bang is better than the bumpstops being trimmed to far and having the shocks take the punishment though.
how far/inches do u trim your bump stop, I trim mine one section, I would said approx. 1-1.25 inches
Old 11-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

Welcome to being lowered!!! You drop the car an inch and a half and this will be the norm. My car is silky smooth over smooth roads. Hit a bump, feel it in the rump! My car also "bangs" over bumps especially those metal strips in the freeway. Ouch!!!

If you don't like the ride, then you may want to consider H&R or going back stock.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SgtSchulze
Welcome to being lowered!!! You drop the car an inch and a half and this will be the norm. My car is silky smooth over smooth roads. Hit a bump, feel it in the rump! My car also "bangs" over bumps especially those metal strips in the freeway. Ouch!!!

If you don't like the ride, then you may want to consider H&R or going back stock.

I'll second that. And winter is coming...Fortunately I can set my illuminas to the "stock" setting for the winter. And there ain't no way in hell i'm keeping my rims on during the winter, so those will come off and the stockers will be going back on, for the cold months.

I can't wait to be lowered on HUBS

As of now - 235/45/17s - those heavy Kuhmo ecsta supra's

it'll be interesting to see how the car rides when i put the OEM wheels back on for the first time, after having a new suspension.

You might be forced to stick with the "stock" setting on your illumina's. Especially in the grueling coming months...