5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

More info on '02 Max - Makes me feel better - somewhat

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 03:20 PM

Ok, spend a while at the Nissan dealership today about paint chips and waxing. While there, I busted them on the '02 Maxima. They had basic information on it that they relayed. Believe it or not, I had more info than they did (thanks maxima.org) and they have never been to Maxima.org. Corporate knows about it and has told all dealerships to keep an eye on it and monitor what people are wanting, saying and having as issues though but none of them have done it yet. (I thought that was interesting).

Anyway, I talked about trading in my New Max (two months old) for the '02 when it comes out. They said although I would gain HP, it would be a big mistake.

They know 3 for sure details about the new Max that corporate sent them in email...
1. It will have 270HP with optional 6-speed
2. It will NOT involve a body style change
3. There should be no price increase. They said prices
would stay the same or only go up like $500 if that.

They said for me to trade in my new one for a new one would be a mistake since they ARE changing the body style for either 2003 or 2004. They are only upping the HP to keep the Maxima as their "Premier Flagship" car.

Just thought I would pass that info along!

I waxed my baby today for the first time.....It is so shiny it hurts to look at it when it's in the sun! It's awesome! I never knew waxing a car (this is the first time I have ever done that) would make such a HUGE difference. Thanks to all who gave advice. Maxima.org rules!

Old 06-01-2001, 03:27 PM

The amount of money you'll lose trading in your car for the same thing + a few extras is simply not worth it. You could easily buy a S/C if you're worried about the power, and probably have change to spare.
Old 06-01-2001, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by wmax2k
The amount of money you'll lose trading in your car for the same thing + a few extras is simply not worth it. You could easily buy a S/C if you're worried about the power, and probably have change to spare.
Yup, that's what I'm doing... I was going to go for the body kit, but now i've put that money towards a S/C. Couldn't hurt to add another 80 horses to the wheels...
Old 06-01-2001, 08:20 PM
nc00max

new max?

I've seen what everyone here has been reporting on the '02 maxima, so I figured I'd throw in what 2 of the Va. Beach dealers told me, since it's about the exact opposite of what everyone is saying. They both said that the maxima will not get an engine upgrade till 2003 when it is completely redesigned. Supposedly a V-8 is going to be optional. They also told me that the new altimas are going to be around the same size as the current maxima. Don't know what to make of any of the stuff they told me, but their info matched exactly to one another, and they weren't affiliated dealers. In all honesty, I kinda hope this is true cause I love my maxima and I like having the top of the line flagship. I really don't want to trade up either, and if they do come out with a new one, I agree with a lot of others that my money would better be spent on a supercharger and all kinds of other goodies. Anyways, just curious if anyone else has heard what I have...

Old 06-01-2001, 08:24 PM

You guys aren't really looking at the value down the road. Yes it would cost you several thousand more to trade in 2002 as compared to a adding a supercharger to your 2000, but down the road you would have a much more easily sellable car that is several years newer and has quite a bit less miles on it. That is certainly worth a few thousand in itself. A used car with a supercharger can be tough to sell as most people will assume its been beat but a stock 3.5 of similar hp (and probably more low end torque) would be easier.

You would also have three more years of warranty all the way out to 2005 whereas the SC would probably immediately end the engine portion of your current warranty. Certainly some dollar value there as well.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but for me trading up in 2002 is an easy decision because I really don't want a bigger car (ie. the 2003) I want more torque and the reasons above will do it for me. The new features will be gravy on top of it all.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:02 PM

True, but you'd lose about $7000 trading in a 2000 Maxima. An S/C costs $4000, and you'd be able to sell it on the forum for at least a couple thousand when you're through with it. Why keep it on when you sell the car? Also, who cares about warranty when the car's going to last at least 150k regardless. And of course, the most definitive reason, is that a S/C Maxima is DAMNED fun compared to a stock car with 38 more hp's. S/C Maximas are pulling 0-60 at a shade over 5 secs, and 1/4 mile times in the 13's.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:18 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by wmax2k
True, but you'd lose about $7000 trading in a 2000 Maxima. An S/C costs $4000, and you'd be able to sell it on the forum for at least a couple thousand when you're through with it. Why keep it on when you sell the car? Also, who cares about warranty when the car's going to last at least 150k regardless. And of course, the most definitive reason, is that a S/C Maxima is DAMNED fun compared to a stock car with 38 more hp's. S/C Maximas are pulling 0-60 at a shade over 5 secs, and 1/4 mile times in the 13's.
That's gotta be for a 5-speed, right? Any idea about an auto??

Old 06-01-2001, 10:18 PM

Even though I have an automagic, I have to admit that if it's speed you are looking for, it's hopeless. S/Cing is not only quite a bit slower with an automagic, it has more reliability problems (Don's VB and tranny cooler might help, though). If you want speed and can afford to drive a stick - meaning you aren't in bumper to bumper traffic that often - then a buying a new stick makes more sense then upgrading.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think I want a 2002 max now, really badly. Hopefully we get some official release info soon. BTW I whould much rather a stock NA car which produced 260 HP then have a SC one with 300 HP. The main reason is piece of mind and a waranty. And ohh don't forget a bout the 6spd!

My local dealer said the 2002 max's will be arriving late augoust and he thinks there will be a 280 HP special edition max, he said they will need that kind of power to steer the enthusiast to there flagship model {max}.