5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

An Idea: Does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:30 AM

An Idea: Does it exist?

After driving my friends S4 I got alittle jealous that his side mirrors auto dim like the rear view mirror on some of our cars. I did some searching and I havent found much in the way of parts/replacements for our auto-dimming our side mirrors.

Has anyone thought of this or tried it? Does it exist in the aftermarket? I did some research on the technology, and it probably isn't home-brewable. I even tried finding companies than make the glass, but no luck there.

Now when its night time and I am driving, I constantly wish I had auto-dimming side mirrors

Discuss
Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 AM

i didn't even know cars had these, that would be awesome especially when you're driving on the highway at night with a big truck or suv behind you...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nadeemp8
i didn't even know cars had these, that would be awesome especially when you're driving on the highway at night with a big truck or suv behind you...
I usually either speed up or change lanes.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 AM

that's what tint is for.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, as cool as this feature is, it doesnt seem cost effective to do. i have never seen anything like this in the aftermarket, which usually means youd have to do a retrofit, and as far as i can tell, get one from an audi/benz/bmw that would fit in our mirror shells. these are usually the mirrors that are tinted blue, right?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

my windows are tinted (35%) and the glare is still horrible. if it is really bright then i typically face both side mirrors to the road. i know my stepfather old 740iL had a blue tinting over the mirrors that blocked enough light to still see visibly without glare. it would be a nice feature but nothing i would personally put much money towards. i will just keep facing them down.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 AM

If your gunna mess with your mirrors you might as well go all the way:

Motorized flip-folding mirrors with LED turn indicators that are self-dimming and motor down when in reverse. Now that would be cool... and expensive.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:05 PM

I don't even use my auto dim feature on my rear view mirror. Just doesn't seem that important of a feature to me........It's nice Nissan made it standard though!! I personally don't like the green color you get when the mirror is dimming!!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I don't even use my auto dim feature on my rear view mirror. Just doesn't seem that important of a feature to me........It's nice Nissan made it standard though!! I personally don't like the green color you get when the mirror is dimming!!
I love the auto-dimming on the rear view, try it for a night or so then go back, you probably wont want to! I turned it off at night one time for 15 seconds and couldnt stand it not dimmed. Driving friends cars without auto-dimming sucks when you are used to it.

I figured it would probably be expensive, but hey, you never know what people on this forum know or have done, god knows its almost everything imaginable
Old 11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
that's what tint is for.
exactly!! with my tint i cant even tell a diffirence when i turn the auto dimming mirror off

and if you wanted auto dimming side mirrors....pay all that extra for the S4
Old 11-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDom03
I love the auto-dimming on the rear view, try it for a night or so then go back, you probably wont want to! I turned it off at night one time for 15 seconds and couldnt stand it not dimmed. Driving friends cars without auto-dimming sucks when you are used to it.
What he said...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
exactly!! with my tint i cant even tell a diffirence when i turn the auto dimming mirror off

I'd love an S4 but it was slightly out of my price range

Maybe I'll check out some local pick a parts/junkyards and see what I can find, if nothing else it will give me something to work on, and if i cant retrofit something so be it, just an idea I had, then maybe I'll get some tint, heh.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:33 PM
2-Wheelin it...

your'e only best method is to find a glass that fits our car. reason we can't fit any other is this....

this just copying from a post i put up like 2 years ago.

Originally Posted by 2YearsAgo
Dear Marco,

Here is the information sheet that I was talking about. I also have this information that I have typed for you that came from one of their forms.

How Electrochromic Mirrors Work
Electrochromics is the process of reversibly darkening materials by applying electricity. The Gentex solution-phase electrochromic mirrors feature two glass plates sandwiched together to contain the gel-like electrochromic materials. On interior mirror elements, the inner surface of each of the two plates of glass is covered with a transparent electrically conductive coating; the back glass plate has a reflective film on its outer surface. The color-changing electrochromic layer is placed in between the glass plates. The electrochromic material changes from clear to various darkened states when DC voltage is applied to the transparent conductive coatings.

Each interior electrochromic mirror has a forward-and rearward-facing light sensor. When the forward-facing sensor detects a low ambient light level, electronic circuitry in the mirror causes the rearward-facing sensor to become active. Once the rearward-facing sensor becomes active, it alerts the mirror’s circuitry as to when (and how much) glare is present. Voltage is then sent to the mirror, proportionate to the level of glare detected by the rearward-facing sensor. The result is a mirror that dims directly in proportion to the level of glare. The Gentex solution-phase electrochromic mirror is continuously variable and can change to, or hold at, any level in a wide reflectance range form 80 percent to 7 percent.

When there is no glare present, the electrochromic layer remains transparent, allowing a high-resolution image to be seen in the mirrored surface. When the NVS Mirror is activated by glare, the electrochromic layer darkens to only the level required to reduce the reflected glare, while allowing the image to be seen in the mirror. This advantage, found only in Gentex NVS Mirrors, makes the safest automatic-dimming mirrors available in the world.
with that being said, it'd be hard to retro anything in because it's a sealed component. would be easier to replace the whole mirror or find a glass that fits in our space.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:43 PM

I purchased a pair of powerfolding electronic mirrors with LED turn signals. The glass has a blue tint on it and along with my tints, I do not get bothered by glare from someone's lights. Here is a pic of the mirrors.....

Old 11-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by NISMAX03
I purchased a pair of powerfolding electronic mirrors with LED turn signals. The glass has a blue tint on it and along with my tints, I do not get bothered by glare from someone's lights. Here is a pic of the mirrors.....

Wow! Those look sick! Mind I ask where you got them and how you retro-fitted to fit your car?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan

Mmmmm S4

Sorry that was
Old 11-10-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Wow! Those look sick! Mind I ask where you got them and how you retro-fitted to fit your car?
I purchased them from SYCEFIRO in the 5th gen classified section a few months ago. Here is a link to the thread.....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ower%20folding