5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help w/front end problem, Transverse link maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:53 AM

Help w/front end problem, Transverse link maybe?

Okay,
I've searched all the info I could find on the TSB for the 01 Maxima transverse link and have not gotten any clear info on this problem I am having.
First of all I have a clunk in the right front tire area when turning right and going through a dip or over a bump.

Second and main problem: at anything over 1/4 throttle, steering pulls to the right(hard) and as you increase the throttle, it pulls harder to the right. It feels almost unsafe. If you exit an off ramp, and hit a bump, the steering wheel moves and you slightly lose control of the steering.

I have researched motor/tranny mounts and have not really found anything useful other than there being no real way to test them. I am wondering about the transverse link TSB. Who has had this recall done, how did your car act, anything like mine?
Is the Transverse link just a lower control arm. I have gotten under the car and looked but seen nothing that looks out of the ordinary, of course it would help if I knew what to look for. I did not see cracks in the lower control arms.

I am wondering if these two problems are tied together, more concerned about the front end pull now though.

BTW- my VIN does not fit in the cars on the TSB for Transverse links.
My car is has all stock suspension and is a 5 speed.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:21 AM

does it seem like something pops out of place soemtimes and pops back in, and when its back in its all good? cause mine doing the same thing, noone has ever given me any answers, and ive had plenty of alignments and ###point inspetions, noones found anything wrong.

its scary to drive, esp when shifting.

nissan told me its supposed to do that, they said thats what they call torque steer. nnedless to say im never going there again.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:57 AM

No it doesn't seem to pop out then back in. It is constant on my car. If I take off from a stop, kinda quick(1/2 throttle) its pulling to the right so I steer left to keep it straight, As I shift to 2nd, I am oversteering to the left so I must turn to the right, then as I hit the gas again, now its pulling right again, so I have to turn the wheel left to keep it straight and so forth through the gears! It absolutely not supposed to be this way, if so, this car would never be liked by car enthusiasts. Surely someone has some answers for this problem?

Also mine has the LSD which is supposed to reduce the torque steer problem.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sway bar links ends. Common problem on 5th gens. Had them replaced on my 02 and 03
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Sway bar links ends. Common problem on 5th gens. Had them replaced on my 02 and 03
The sway bar link ends can cause the front end pull?
Anything special to look for when checking them?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 AM

how much? if they arent too much, i might just replce them and see if thats my problem. mine pulls all over the place,to the right ulness to road is really tilted. even with a good alignment.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:23 PM
+Cru OG

The "clunk" seems to be a problem with the wheel bearings which is common to 5th gens.

The main thing to check on the end links is if it the link itself snapped (where the link rod is welded to the flange). Mine snapped clean off and had it replaced. As for the price of the End Links, it's $45 at the dealership. I don't know about installation prices.

I wonder if Nissan still honors to fix the Transverse Link TSB without cost?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:43 PM

i just got the bearing replaced, i wish someone told me that bad bearings can make that clunk noise. all good so far!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by terryKS
The sway bar link ends can cause the front end pull?
Anything special to look for when checking them?
Yes. My 02 use to feel loose and would pull. The clunk noise was only happening on dips then it started clunking on every bump. Took it to dealer and it turned out to be the sway bar link ends. They replaced them and the car tracked perfectly straight. My 03 started doing the same thing and i had the links replaced and all is good. The parts are very cheap like 20.00 for the right side and 35.00 for the left. After its done the car is so tight and handles really well.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Dose any one have a pic of these link ends?? If so can you post some pelase..

Thanks..
Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 PM

I am gonna raise it up and inspect the sway bar links over the weekend. I really hope this is the problem. I would never have thought that sway bars could cause such a problem! I will inspect and let you know what I find out. As for the wheel bearings, they were replaced recently so I can rule that out for the "clunk". I appreciate all the info so far from all, keep it coming. And as someone stated if any pics are available please post them.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Update...

Okay PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I went out and jacked the car up to check the sway bar links, both were in good shape and properly attached. Disappointed, I kept looking around. Ended up grabbing one of the tires and wiggling it back and forth looking for play somewhere.
Then I saw it. The drivers side ball joint was wiggling around an awful lot. Upon closer inspection I see that the nut that secures it to the control arm is about a 1/4 inch above where it should be, meaning it is very LOOSE! It is touching the cotter pin!
I grab a 19mm, snug it down firmly, take the car for a drive and all is well. Not sure if this fixed the "clunk" because I just took it for a short drive. I will know in a couple of days though.
Thank god for those cotter pins. I guess whoever installed the wheel bearings didn't do a very good job tightening these bolts. If you think about what this bolt being loose was doing for the front end, you can see why I was so concerned about this problem and thought it felt unsafe.LOL
Anyways that way what solved my problem. Thanks everybody!