5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

bucking engine, clearing its throat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 AM

bucking engine, clearing its throat?

every time i start my car, and head out about the tiem i hit thrid, but it doesnt matter the gear, ive tested, the car starts to buck and misses a few times, if i let off the throttle it goes away .after it does one good bucking session its fine, it does it everytime i havent started the car witin a few hours. its liek the car needs to clear its throat.

im gonna be replacing the spark plugs soon, the maf is an 01 and it isnt very old. i dont think when my coils were replaced that they put in the upgraded ones, i was thinking theyre the problem, any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:43 AM

My 2000 GXE does this same thing, usually only when the weather is colder though. I was told it was my MAF and had been planning on getting a new one, but now I am not so sure.

I've got fairly new spark plugs and I've also had my coils replaced, twice - once with 2k1 coils and the second time with 2k updated coils. If the coils were causing this problem then you would get a CEL wit P1320. That or you would get horrible spark knock. I am pretty sure the problem is not with the coils. Is it the MAF?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 AM

If it happens when it's cold and around 1800RPM, under light throttle, then it's known. Sometimes a computer flash will fix things, sometimes it won't.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

coils wont always throw a p1320.

the only way you could get spark knock is if the coils were working properly.

it could be the coils, and if it is, itll get worse.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 PM

is dave b the best place to get new coils, and if so can someone post his number, i lost it.

and which are better the 01 or updated 00?

is it hard to replace them, theres not much room above the rear three
Old 11-14-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
coils wont always throw a p1320.

the only way you could get spark knock is if the coils were working properly.

it could be the coils, and if it is, itll get worse.
true, coils will not always throw a p1320. This is what happened to me in 2001 when my coils first went out. How did I know there was a problem? Because I had horrible spark knock when I tried to accelerate heavily or uphill. Im pretty sure this horrible spark knock was NOT because my coils were working properly. In fact, the TSB released about the bad coils in the 2k maxima's mention the spark knock. The second time my coils went out I got a P1320 and my car started misfiring and the car was bucking. But it was ALWAYS and not just at startup.

ColdSHO, you are wasting your money if you replace your coils. Trust me. If you had problems with your coils you would have this "bucking" problem all of the time and not just at startup. Also, how long have you had this problem? If this problem were with you're coils then you would probably not be able to go much longer than a few weeks before the problem got so bad you wouldn't be able to drive it any longer.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:09 PM

its done this for a while but not as bad, its gotten worse within the last couple of weeks. u think it could be the spark plugs, i dont know how old they are im closing in on 70k so they could be rather worn, what else could it be? there is slight vibrations when trying to go uphills and when torque is required, its around the 2000rpm point.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM

as ina while i mean like 2 years since ive owned the car, it got better when i replaced the maf the second time about 9months ago, but within the last couple of weeks its just gettign worse and worse, i cant accelerate till the car warms up fully.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 AM

I've had the problem in my car for awhile as well (3 years or so). I've read other threads on this forum that mention if you change the MAF you need to get an ECU re-program. Did you do this when your eplaced the MAF with a 2k1? Sounds like bert might have been correct in saying that we might need the ECU re-program.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:11 AM

nissan said it wasnt required. but then agian theyve lied to me b4, think that may be whats up, i would need to take it to a dealer wouldnt i? noone else would ahve the ability to reprogram would they?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 AM

also whats spark knock, and how can i tell if i have it
Old 11-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
also whats spark knock, and how can i tell if i have it
Dave B 1-888-254-6060

or you can try Garrands Nissan...they do the same 25% discount as DaveB...but charge free shipping if you order more than $50...here is the link...

http://www.garrands-nissan.com/New%20Website/parts.htm
Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 AM

yea, I believe that only the dealer can re-program the ECU but I could be wrong. Try searching for other MAF threads and see if an ECU re-program is necessary. I think it was, but I could be wrong.

Spark knock sounds like engine knock, or heavy pinging. It is essentially loud valve noise and you will primarily hear it while trying to accelerate hard, or uphill. You might also lose power when you hear it. I drove around like that for 5 months (take into consideration that it is damaging to the engine) before the dealer would finally admit there was a problem. I had the problem so early in 2001 that the TSB on the defective coils had not been released yet. I took it to the dealer 4 times, and finally the fourth time, the TSB was released and they replaced the coils, but they replaced them with 2k1 coils, which some have also been known to be defective. Lo and behold, 3 years later, those coils died on me, but this time I got a P1320 and the car started misfiring (felt like bucking). This time I was out of warranty and had to replace them myself (which is extremely simple btw). I drove with it like that for maybe 1 week before the bucking got so bad I couldn't drive it anymore. I replaced the coils and the problem went away.

I've had this bucking problem in the early morning with a cold engine for quite some time (2-3 years now). It is always worse in cold weather, which could be why your problem is getting worse (now that the weather is cooling down some). In the summer I don't have the problem as much, but it is starting to get colder here in Texas and now I am starting to see it much more. I still don't know what the problem is, but I know it's most likely not the coils if it's only happening when it's cold.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 AM

i think my cats goign too, i get a burnt firework smell soemtiems after accing fast, and i get more exhuast gas then most other cars. think that might have anything to do with it?

and it happens almost everytime the car is cold. its worse when the weather is cold. if i let it warm up more b4 driving i dont get it as much. maybe its fuel pump/filter related, i alwsy run 92/93, but i dont know about the first owner. he put 38k on the car.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 AM

If you're getting funny smells, then it can possibly be the cat (cats do take time to warm up and don't function efficiently until they are). I haven't noticed any funny smells in my car, but I don't drive it hard (I try to conserve gas because of the cost). Regardless, I haven't had the time/money to invest in trying to fix it. I let my car idle for 30 seconds or so before I start driving and when I do start driving I drive very softly until it warms up - I guess thats been good enough for me for the last 2-3 years. With all said, I would still guess the problem is with one of, or a combination of the MAF/ECU/Cat. Unfortunately the only easy way to find out is to take it to the dealer, or a shop and have them troubleshoot - which costs money. If you do figure it out, please let me know though. I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:31 AM

im moving to orlando soon so i guess the coldness would be a problem. ill start with a cat, but that wont be a while. for now ill just replace the plugs and see what that does.

if i get a deal like i did with my last refresh ill do that. anyone around chicago have hook ups?