5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

my quick, cheap and easy XM install..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
† ErV †

my quick, cheap and easy XM install..

I was out shopping last night for unrelated stuff and came across this XM kit for under 30$.. couldn't lose either way so i bought it and activated this morning (still can't lose for the price).

Weather has been miserable today so i didn't have time to splice and route the power line into my roof fuse box but granted it will not hang down like this for much longer.

Don't ask but this was the only space i had in the entre car i could put that, short of on the center vent but that means i have to have wires hanging about. Took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing (and maybe another 10 to play with the power cord next time).

the XM antenna is the one on the right.. first one is the GPS one. they are actually pretty much identical.

you know the instructions call for at least 6" from windows and such and i've always laughed at the "pro" installers that run the ungodly wire halfway across your roof and put the plastic cover over it so you can see it from a mile? well, i have no more than an inch (and will be pushing it back once the rain stops) and can get reception under 5 floors of concrete.

I am using the built in FM modulator which sounds to my disbeleif amazing. No distortion, feedback or interference. None from my inverter either.. nothing. So much for the direct connect.

the roady is mounted completely behind the sunline on the windshield and completely invisible under normal conditions.

well that's it.. maxi got an early xmas present today. thought i would share.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 PM

nice...how much u be payin monthly?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

XM is now the same price as sirius now...$12.95 per month. its a lil cheaper if you buy yearly packages though i think.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Got Penguin?

Guys, i know this has been asked before, but is XM or Sirus really worth it? Ive use XM and wasnt too pleased. How about Sirius? And yea this is personal opinion...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:10 PM

hey evilroads, what fm frequency do u use? ive tried a few, and 88.3 seems to work best.In atlanta i get alot of interference, im thinking about using the tape adaptor, but i dont really want an extra wire across my dash.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM

i have no exp with XM, but i LOVE my sirius. i dont listen to reg radio anymore. i went with sirius for howard stern, and his 2 channels are already funny as hell!

Originally Posted by TPenguin
Guys, i know this has been asked before, but is XM or Sirus really worth it? Ive use XM and wasnt too pleased. How about Sirius? And yea this is personal opinion...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 PM

I have XM and I think its worth it if you travel a lot. When I'm in my local area, I usually tune into a local radio station just because it's tailored to the area. With XM, it's commercial free, but not as "personal" I guess.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:09 PM

I have the exact same unit and I ended up using some double-sided tape and installing it in the space between the shiftgate and the center console. I hid the wires to the tape desk between the plastic and carpet and ran the antenna under the floormats onto the trunklid. Works fine for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:39 PM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by gsumax
hey evilroads, what fm frequency do u use? ive tried a few, and 88.3 seems to work best.In atlanta i get alot of interference, im thinking about using the tape adaptor, but i dont really want an extra wire across my dash.
88.3 as well. only one that doesn't appear to have some station on it. i've been running it around today.. i get absolutely no interference either from the outside or from the car's electrics. lucky i guess.. i tried the tape but

1. it makes more noise than a truck (always has.. and it has never been used?)
2. it keeps ejecting the XM tape for some reason. doesn't do it with the sony one.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:45 PM

If you didn't really enjoy XM than you most likely won't enjoy SIRIUS either. I personally think that Sirius is a little better but I listen to it day in and day out and it just getting annoying now. The only real diff IMHO is their sports and specialized stations venue. So if your not lookin for ACC v. SEC or NHL v. MBL or whatever than sorry but your SOL.

Originally Posted by gsumax
You most likely aren't going to be able to get good station b/c your in a big city w/ strong FM frequencies. You can get a hardwired FM modulator though that overrides all stations and is crystal clear. I work at circuit sh!tty and we sell them there. Work Great
Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I have the exact same unit and I ended up using some double-sided tape and installing it in the space between the shiftgate and the center console. I hid the wires to the tape desk between the plastic and carpet and ran the antenna under the floormats onto the trunklid. Works fine for me.
That's where my mousepad sits at and with the amount of UV protectant i have on it i doubt anything will stick to the dash or surfaces, even after a sanding

I got XM over sirius because they have better techno channels and their upfront receiver cost was negligible. and i can't stand stern so he actually has negative appeal to me.

as for whether it's worth it.. well i haven't heard the BEP or outkast yet so i say it is. The variety is great so far but i can't comment on their rotation frequency yet.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:13 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i got xm for a gift last christmas but i find myself listening to more of it online than in the car. of course a few weeks after i got, they took the metal channel off broadcast for the radio but kept it online. i never thought about running the antenna out of the sunroof. no matter what channel i use in charlotte, i get interference. i tried changing the settings and such but finally just used the tape adapter. mine also kicks out the tape from time to time but after about 6 tries it normally stays.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Those of you with static should def try installing a seperate hardwired FM modulator. Extremely easy to do and makes your signal sooo much clearer (can't be interupted). I will actually probably be posting a how-to in the next few days due to the lack of working links on the sticky. If someone needs it soon though I am willing to help.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
Those of you with static should def try installing a seperate hardwired FM modulator. Extremely easy to do and makes your signal sooo much clearer (can't be interupted). I will actually probably be posting a how-to in the next few days due to the lack of working links on the sticky. If someone needs it soon though I am willing to help.

how big is this modulator and where can you mount it? i may consider this, because i used to have xm directly in a xm ready headunit and it was almost cd quality, now its worse than regular FM radio for me. Id love to get that clarity back again.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:50 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
sounds good. i am looking forward to it.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM

Why not just use a tape adapter?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

my dash already has the vafc2 wire running under the radio and i just want as clean of an appearance as possible.