5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2-2k3 HID headlight down the road visibility...how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 AM

2k2-2k3 HID headlight down the road visibility...how is it?

Im condsidering purchasing some for my 2000, but kinda holding back because everytime I pull up next to a 2k2-2k3 model at night, the light output doesn't seem all that great. Maybe its because the bulbs are getting old, Im not sure, but they don't seem to light up the road like I thought HID was suppose to do. If anyone happens to have a down the road picture of the HIDs in action, I would really appreciate it. I just want to assure myself that these lights will be worth the investment.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how in the world would you judje this???? it is so subjective that only you can deside. i think they are great, people with hid/projector retrofits probably think they are garbage, and others in a lexus or a bmw, probably think any headlight in a maxima is junk.
besides, even the best pictures don't do any justice to what real-life visibility would be from your own point of view. i think you should test drive a 5.5 gen maxima at night, and see for yourself, this is the only way to know if you are making a good investment.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
i think they are great.

i did the swap and was very impressed by the light output!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 AM

Compared to other cars, the output of our HIDs are not that impressive IMO. I thought down-road visibility sucked actually, but I made it much better by aiming the lights slightly higher than they came from the factory.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:16 AM
silviaguy

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Compared to other cars, the output of our HIDs are not that impressive IMO. I thought down-road visibility sucked actually, but I made it much better by aiming the lights slightly higher than they came from the factory.
I have to agree. Compared to my brother's old S2000, My friends Lexus GS400 and the Q45 I rented. Plus my '97 240sx that I installed H.I.D.'s in. My 2K2 Maxima I own suck. I haven't tried aiming them a bit higher but might look into doing that this weekend.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:23 AM
+Cru OG

Love it or Hate it. I love mine even though it might not live up to other HID systems.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 AM

I've had a 2000 Maxima with PIAA Plasmas and a 2002 stock HID system even though doesn't look as bright, it throws the light where the light needs to go.

I also have a Q45 and if you look at the light on, it looks like its not bright, you look inside it when its on and it'll give your eyes a good hurtin in a second.

I think the HID don't look bright when you look at them but they throw the light where light needs to go.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by PIONEER
I've had a 2000 Maxima with PIAA Plasmas and a 2002 stock HID system even though doesn't look as bright, it throws the light where the light needs to go.

I also have a Q45 and if you look at the light on, it looks like its not bright, you look inside it when its on and it'll give your eyes a good hurtin in a second.

I think the HID don't look bright when you look at them but they throw the light where light needs to go.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:50 AM

^^ What part of my reply did you not understand?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Seoul Man

The color of the light coming out of HID lights is very different from what you're used to if you regularly use halogens. That may have a lot to do with your impression that the HIDs don't put out as much light, since you're not seeing the usual "dirty white" glow cast on the ground in front of the car. After driving my Sentra and driving my Maxima, I can truly say that the light output from the Maxima makes me feel more confident at night.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:11 AM
"tse-tse fly"

you want output? Go with TSX projectors.....
Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 AM

try jumping in an 03 accord with halagens then tell me. With that said, ever noticed the blue glow when u 1st turn the HIDs on, then it became more white, wonder why the ballasts can't maintain the blue. With that said, my 02 CL type S's HID was even inferior IMO. With that said, if ya want to retrofit, I have a brand new pair of ballasts, ignitors and wiring harness to the head lights for cheap.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
No More Maxipad

i agree the maxima reflector hid aren't the best but it does its job pretty well. it doesn't go as far as i had hoped so but i did aimed it up a tiny tiny bit and helped a bit. reflector hids don't shoot light out as far as projectors do that's why projectors are so much better than reflectors. i was originally going to have a retrofit done on my 2002 headlights because i didn't like how blurry the cutoff was and light didn't go as far. well after cleaning the headlight lens a with plastic cleaner and scratch remover stuff the output seem a lot better and the cutoff is more defined. now i can actually see a cutoff instead of a blob of blur haha. well i would say i like the maxima hids for they do their job lighting up the road in front of you and looks great too
Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ypl102
try jumping in an 03 accord with halagens then tell me. With that said, ever noticed the blue glow when u 1st turn the HIDs on, then it became more white, wonder why the ballasts can't maintain the blue. With that said, my 02 CL type S's HID was even inferior IMO. With that said, if ya want to retrofit, I have a brand new pair of ballasts, ignitors and wiring harness to the head lights for cheap.
LOL.. its blue because the lights are charging on lol.. out HIDS are 4200k or something.. white with a yellow tinge.. you want blue get 6000k

i think our lights are fine.. i love mine.. if you want more "color" upgrade the bulb kelveins to a 6k or 7k.. but honestly you are changign color.. you will not see better with a higher HID output..

i'm suprised no one else said this already.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM

ever noticed the blue glow when u 1st turn the HIDs on, then it became more white, wonder why the ballasts can't maintain the blue. With that said, my 02 CL type S's HID was even inferior IMO.
Please don't post anything if you have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM

i got a 2k3...they're ok....but better than regular headlights...at least they're HID's
Old 11-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
i agree the maxima reflector hid aren't the best but it does its job pretty well. it doesn't go as far as i had hoped so but i did aimed it up a tiny tiny bit and helped a bit. reflector hids don't shoot light out as far as projectors do that's why projectors are so much better than reflectors. i was originally going to have a retrofit done on my 2002 headlights because i didn't like how blurry the cutoff was and light didn't go as far. well after cleaning the headlight lens a with plastic cleaner and scratch remover stuff the output seem a lot better and the cutoff is more defined. now i can actually see a cutoff instead of a blob of blur haha. well i would say i like the maxima hids for they do their job lighting up the road in front of you and looks great too

I think the main complain about 2k2-2k3 headlights are the color of beam they project and the haziness of the lens. The haziness can be corrected by cleanign the front of the lights and putting a thin layer of wax on it to keep it clean.

now about the color output.. yellow is the best reflecting color.. thats why our lights have a yellow tinge to them up close.. most cars with HIDs have 5k bulbs.. where as we have 4250 or 4500k.

anything over 6k for bulbs and you are sacrificing output for color. it may look cool but you cant see anything at night.

i personally LOVE how my car lights up the road at night.. i rarely, if ever, have to use my high beams.. and i'm lower so my lights doesnt reach as far as stock.. thats saying alot..

if you want a cooler look.. look into new bulb.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I did the HID's and not comming back to halogens unless they get stolen...... best upgrade ever made....
Old 11-29-2005, 02:29 PM

i couldn`t agree more.....by the way thanks Lontar1 the swap came out great.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM

I installed the 02/03 H.I.D. Lights in my 2000 and I was not all that impressed. I think I am going to try adjusting the lights also.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:09 PM

i'm a 5th gen conversion as well. honestly, the output is poor for the HID enthusiast, but basically delivers better output than most, if not ALL halogen set ups.

hid projectors > hid reflectors > halogen projectors > halogen reflectors > old school glass lol
Old 11-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by Melaza
i couldn`t agree more.....by the way thanks Lontar1 the swap came out great.
Don't mention it.. need help? Let me know and will do my best to help out.....
Old 11-29-2005, 04:21 PM

i can see down the road just fine, but the highest intensity portion of the beam is a bit low. this is the reason it looks bad because you see the bright portion of the pattern 150ft or so in front of the car and comparatively the 'down the road' portion isnt there. but i can see the cutoff on road reflectors, street signs and other cars. keep in mind blacktop isnt all that reflective. polishing the headlights DEFINATELY helped.

im still debating wether to aim them just a touch higher.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:27 PM

After comparing my aftermarket HID kit to my friend's stock 03 at night, we both came to the conclusion that my kit does a better job of lighting up the road, altho of course his output is more straight if that is your thing...and it looks so sexy...but yes the HIDs are not great compared to HIDs on most other cars...I only have real experience with the BMWs my dad has had and those are so nice...the new one now moves side to side so that's a nice addition by bmw

also, yes you will lose lots of output if you upgrade the stock HIDs to 6k or 7k...ask MaximaPolak..he got 6k and was not impressed by the output.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

6000k HID fogs and headlight bulbs... no complaints...

Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM

New Member---Unable to post new thread ---Testing reply post.--sorry for hijacking
Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Mauja He Mauja

It just keeps getting better and better with these NEWBS
Old 11-29-2005, 04:57 PM

---sorry, was seeing what privilages I currently had. I did check faq if that helps.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
---sorry, was seeing what privilages I currently had. I did check faq if that helps.
my reply was not aimed at u....
Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM

....no problem... I plan to give/receive VALUABLE information to this forum. I.E.---Technical......As soon as I'm allowed too...Guess I'll go have some
Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 PM

I aimed mine a touch higher......It even helped with highbeam.....
Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

I think the light output is great, even with my 6000k lows and fogs. The only problem I have is after driving my shuttle car (2004 BMW 330Ci) Getting in my car kinda stinks. The 330 has projectors and adaptive lights that steer with the car.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 PM

Hmm...I'll probably take the chance and get them. Also, one more thing, when I do get them and aim them, can I like leave one halogen headlight in and aim the HID headlight at the same height as the halogen, then take the halogen headlight out and put in the other HID and aim it to the other HID, or do HIDs need to be aimed lower than what halogen lights are aimed at? If I can do that, then I don't think I'll have a problem since my halogen headlights right now light up a good amount of road, and with HID it will only be better, also my halogen headlights were aimed by Nissan when I went to get my car serviced so they are properly aimed.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 AM

u tell me then

Please don't post anything if you have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.
read it again and you will find I phrased it as a question so if u have some answers please share the knowledge, if not don't insult other ppl trying to learn
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBlu5
Hmm...I'll probably take the chance and get them. Also, one more thing, when I do get them and aim them, can I like leave one halogen headlight in and aim the HID headlight at the same height as the halogen, then take the halogen headlight out and put in the other HID and aim it to the other HID, or do HIDs need to be aimed lower than what halogen lights are aimed at? If I can do that, then I don't think I'll have a problem since my halogen headlights right now light up a good amount of road, and with HID it will only be better, also my halogen headlights were aimed by Nissan when I went to get my car serviced so they are properly aimed.
you should re-aim them when all is done.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_parts_a...579216,00.html
http://www.midstatedmc.com/tech/aim.htm
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 AM

read it again and you will find I phrased it as a question so if u have some answers please share the knowledge, if not don't insult other ppl trying to learn
Grammar and punctuation marks are your friend. It helps other people determine whether your are asking a question or making a statement, or both.

The changing of your lights from blue to white is due to the warming up process of the Xenon gas. Your ballasts have nothing to do with "maintaining" the blueness of the lights. They function to ignite the gas with about 30,000 volts. If you want your lights to stay blue, you need to get higher temperature bulbs like 6000K. Keep in mind however that higher temperature simply means different color, not higher output. You actually lose useable output the higher you go. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 AM

Your ballasts have nothing to do with "maintaining" the blueness of the lights. They function to ignite the gas with about 30,000 volts. If you want your lights to stay blue, you need to get higher temperature bulbs like 6000K. Keep in mind however that higher temperature simply means different color, not higher output. You actually lose useable output the higher you go. Hope this helps.
Yah others have said this all ready. Hm. . if your ballasts ignite the gas, then what does the ignitor do? Got a ckt or block diagram?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 AM

Yah others have said this all ready. Hm. . if your ballasts ignite the gas, then what does the ignitor do? Got a ckt or block diagram?
And so why were you asking me to share my knowledge if you already read this in the previous posts? And good use of that question mark.

Here is a link with info on the ballast and igniter. Usually they are integrated. The ballast provides the steady voltage while the igniter provides that initial voltage. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...rpassion.info/

Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 AM

And so why were you asking me to share my knowledge if you already read this in the previous posts? And good use of that question mark.
thanks for the link =). Btw u misunderstood me again, I have read other expert posts b/f you posted yours. . . but it all happened after I asked u to share your knowlege, can I be more clear? hello, we're in the same time zone here
Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 AM

No problem sir. I apologize if I came off as being sarcastic or rude.

Quick Reply: 2k2-2k3 HID headlight down the road visibility...how is it?