5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyones SES light went away on it's own after ign coil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyones SES light went away on it's own after ign coil change?

I have read some threads where some had their SES (was lit due to bad coils) go away on its own after replacing ignition coils. Anyones SES light went away without reseting the ECU and if it did, how long did you have to drive before it went away?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Whtmax'01
I have read some threads where some had their SES (was lit due to bad coils) go away on its own after replacing ignition coils. Anyones SES light went away without reseting the ECU and if it did, how long did you have to drive before it went away?
there is a preset amount of miles and turning the car off and on before it would realize the change. i am not sure of the actual amounts and i am not sure anyone here that may know has ever posted it. why not just pull the negative terminal overnight and call it day? i know after i repaired my o2 sensors and i reset the light with my obd2 software that it took 2 days of driving (roughly 100 miles) before the emissions shop could test it.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 PM
† ErV †

CELs go away on their own once the problem has been fixed. I have triggered them many times with different codes to verify this.

it realizes the change immediately but the light stays on in case the error returns. if it doesn't in a while, it goes away.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a question about my SES nightmare. I have a 2000. I took the car to Autozone and the Code P1320 came up, ignition misfire. The guy at Autozone told me that a tune up should do the job. I figured he was right because I have 60,000 miles on it and and as far as I know, I never had a tune up. I took it to a garage and they tuned it up and replaced a coil pack. Cost $314. They reset the light and 5 days later it came back on. I took it back to the garage and they told me they need to replace another coil pack. I feel like I am getting hosed here. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dave2503@comcast.net
Old 12-05-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by dave2503
I have a question about my SES nightmare. I have a 2000. I took the car to Autozone and the Code P1320 came up, ignition misfire. The guy at Autozone told me that a tune up should do the job. I figured he was right because I have 60,000 miles on it and and as far as I know, I never had a tune up. I took it to a garage and they tuned it up and replaced a coil pack. Cost $314. They reset the light and 5 days later it came back on. I took it back to the garage and they told me they need to replace another coil pack. I feel like I am getting hosed here. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dave2503@comcast.net
dont hijack threads! they are telling you the truth. Go change all 6 coil packs. You will to eventually anyways so save yourself the trouble and do it all now.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dave2503

Dave2503@comcast.net
How many coil packs did they replace for you?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
there is a preset amount of miles and turning the car off and on before it would realize the change. i am not sure of the actual amounts and i am not sure anyone here that may know has ever posted it. why not just pull the negative terminal overnight and call it day? i know after i repaired my o2 sensors and i reset the light with my obd2 software that it took 2 days of driving (roughly 100 miles) before the emissions shop could test it.
Just as an FYI, not all codes will get cleared by unplugging the battery. Some of the codes get stored in flash (non-volatile memory) and are unaffected by loss of power.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:50 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

every code i have had cleared after removing the battery. if the problem/issue has not been addressed then the ecu will cycle the code back out. with my o2 issue, it only took one turning off and back on of the car before the cel would shoot it out. i am speaking from my experience and the codes that i have dealt with. what code that you know of would be an example of one that would not clear even after removing the negative battery terminal for so a minimum of 8 hours?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:24 AM

$314 I am going to assume just 3.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jkayca
Just as an FYI, not all codes will get cleared by unplugging the battery. Some of the codes get stored in flash (non-volatile memory) and are unaffected by loss of power.

When replacing any faulty sensors pulled from the SES, the SES code(s) must be CLEARED in order for the ECU to recognize the new sensor. After a few driving cylces, the ECU will "re-learn" itself. Unplugging the battery doesn't actually clear the code. The code will soon appear again, because it is still stored. It needs to be cleared. Also, if you happen to let the SES light stay on for a while, it will disappear after a number of start-up driving cycles, but doesn't necessarily mean that the fault is gone.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:07 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX

When replacing any faulty sensors pulled from the SES, the SES code(s) must be CLEARED in order for the ECU to recognize the new sensor. After a few driving cylces, the ECU will "re-learn" itself. Unplugging the battery doesn't actually clear the code. The code will soon appear again, because it is still stored. It needs to be cleared. Also, if you happen to let the SES light stay on for a while, it will disappear after a number of start-up driving cycles, but doesn't necessarily mean that the fault is gone.
you must be speaking from experience because i had my o2 code (heater error on bank 2 sensor 2) on for about 9 months and it DID NOT dissapear. the only time it would go away was if i cleared with it my software but it would come right back on as soon as the car was turned off and back on. i know the code must be cleared after the faulty part is replaced/fixed but that can be done by unplugging the battery and accelerating the learning of the ecu. instead of driving and turning off/on, it forces the ecu to see if the condition still exists.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 AM

so when a code is cleared with obdII scanner, does that completely reset the ECU where it goes into self learning mode or that just erases that one code and the rest of information is not touched?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
you must be speaking from experience because i had my o2 code (heater error on bank 2 sensor 2) on for about 9 months and it DID NOT dissapear. the only time it would go away was if i cleared with it my software but it would come right back on as soon as the car was turned off and back on. i know the code must be cleared after the faulty part is replaced/fixed but that can be done by unplugging the battery and accelerating the learning of the ecu. instead of driving and turning off/on, it forces the ecu to see if the condition still exists.
I'm not sure what kind of software you have, but did you replace the faulty sensor and then clear the ECU? If so, then the ECU should have recognized the new sensor. Also, unplugging the battery for a while actually takes the ECU longer to re-learn itself. I use a scan tool in retrieving/clearing of my codes. I think it is much faster and doesn't leave me with any complications afterwards.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 AM

so when a code is cleared with obdII scanner, does that completely reset the ECU where it goes into self learning mode or that just erases that one code and the rest of information is not touched?
Yes, the ECU will reset itself and re-learn itself from the newly installed sensor. Whenever the ECU recognizes a faulty sensor, it somewhat tends to run in a different mode because of the bad sensor. That is why it's suggested that the faulty sensor be replaced ASAP, before any other problems arise.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
I'm not sure what kind of software you have, but did you replace the faulty sensor and then clear the ECU? If so, then the ECU should have recognized the new sensor. Also, unplugging the battery for a while actually takes the ECU longer to re-learn itself. I use a scan tool in retrieving/clearing of my codes. I think it is much faster and doesn't leave me with any complications afterwards.
i use the harrison R&D unit/software. my point is that clearing the code with the software or unplugging the battery after fixing the issue will lead to the same result. here is a link to the homepage for harrison if anyone is interested. harrison
i agree that is faster with a reader or software on laptop but if you dont need the monitoring functions or want to spend the money then on a 00/01 ecu then it can reset by removing the negative terminal overnight. the 02/03 have that gas pedal reset as set forth in the faqs.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coli Packs

How many coil packs did they replace for you?
They charged me $314 to replace 1 coil pack and 6 spark plugs. How come there isn't a code to tell you which of the 6 need replaced? And what does "hijacking a thread" mean?

Dave