5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

short throw types?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM

short throw types?

i have a 6 speed '02. i understand that the sts kit for the '02 is different than the one i had on my '97. but i heard that there are two choices for the '02. i also heard about 6 months ago that one of them causes damage to the transmission. is there any truth to these claims of damage? has anyone bought one of these that has caused damage to their car? is there one that is "the best?"
i would love to put one of these on my car, but will absolutely not do it if it will cause damage to my car. and is there one place that you guys have bought one of these sts kits that isn't someplace like custom maxima (no offence to you custom maxima customers)?
thanks guys. this is a huge help. i hate finding out right after i buy something for my car that i could have found it cheaper somewhere else, or that, even worse, someone else put the part on their car, and it ended up causing a huge amount of damage to something else.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If installed properly, it will not damage your tranny. While you're doing it, might wanna think about changing your shifter bushings to those from Energy Suspension.

http://www.fast-shift.com/

http://www.suspension.com/nissancars.htm
Old 12-10-2005, 09:13 AM

thanks alot, man. is this the one you have on your car? you said that it will be fine if it's "properly installed." did it come with directions? is there any kind of grease or any other loose parts i will need to buy before i put one of these in? i don't have a second car right now, so i'd love to know this stuff before i start taking the maxima apart.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by dr_redonkulous
thanks alot, man. is this the one you have on your car? you said that it will be fine if it's "properly installed." did it come with directions? is there any kind of grease or any other loose parts i will need to buy before i put one of these in? i don't have a second car right now, so i'd love to know this stuff before i start taking the maxima apart.
I have the Watkins in my car, and it is really easy to install with the directions included. You really only need to remove the airbox, but if you have an intake, you don't even have to do that. I'd advise you to get some good thread lock and a spray can of white lithium grease. Thread lock (blue/medium strength) for the bolt that holds the STS piece to the shifter cable, and white lithium grease to lube the bushings for smoother, easier shifts.

I haven't done the piece under the shifter console yet because Energy messed up my order and my bushings haven't come in (my stock bushing is ripped, so I can't even remove it to install the 2nd STS piece without destroying it).
Old 12-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Thinks he is fast

I also have the watkins STS (the one from fastshift.com)and it's an easy 20 minute install total. I bought mine off an org member used and emailed the guys at fastshift.com for install instructions. They were really cool and wished me luck. I've seen them on ebay (the actual watkins piece) for slightly less than you can buy them brand new. This one for instance says it's nismo but I can tell by looking at it that it's the watkins sts and the paper that the picture is on is a printout of the pdf install instructions that they sent me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISMO...QQcmdZViewItem

On top of doing the polyurethane bushings I would definately recommend putting some redline MT-90 synthetic trans fluid in as well. You need 2.5 quarts I ordered mine from here http://www.modbargains.com but this site is $1 cheaper per quart http://myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html
and instructions for the fluid change and alot of other how-to's are on housecor's website. http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/redline_mt90.html
You will need a 3/8" ratchet, 10mm hex drive, oil catch can, and a long funnel set-up. All of those can be purchased at walmart. The redline really makes a huge difference.

Pm me if you need any help
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27 PM

i currently have the b&m sts and its a little better than stock. not too much of a reduction in throw imo. kinda stiff shifting through gears and first is kind of hard to find at times. how much of a difference is it to switch to redline? i've been thinking of doing it but havent had the time but will this christmas break.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by claudiusmaximas
i currently have the b&m sts and its a little better than stock. not too much of a reduction in throw imo. kinda stiff shifting through gears and first is kind of hard to find at times. how much of a difference is it to switch to redline? i've been thinking of doing it but havent had the time but will this christmas break.
The B&M STS is not made for the 6-speed, so that doesn't apply here.

The difference with Redline MT-90 will be significant. Look through the reviews in the Fluids and Lubricants forum.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:48 PM

sorry didnt know B&m didnt make sts's for 6spd just giving .02, thanks ill check the other forum out
Old 12-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Cletus

i have the watkins STS (from cattman) and all the energy bushings and i love it. a lot shorter firmer throws. the combination really cleans up the stock sloppy, notchy, and long throws.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i have the watkins STS (from cattman) and all the energy bushings and i love it. a lot shorter firmer throws. the combination really cleans up the stock sloppy, notchy, and long throws.
ES screwed up my order... bushings will only be here next week. I'll see if I still like the shifting once those go in.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
ES screwed up my order... bushings will only be here next week. I'll see if I still like the shifting once those go in.
i got my bushings from cattman along with the STS
you will like it...you felt mine. ok that sounded bad