5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just got a New Engine - Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:28 AM

Just got a New Engine - Help

Hey guys,
I finally got my engine replaced and picked up my car last night. I was dealing with the engine rattling and clicking noises that have been common to most of our cars. It took 2.5 months to get it done but the dealer ship finally agreed to replace the engine since they could not find the problem after they replaced the VTC Sprockets. I have a couple questions, hopefully someone can help:

•Why does my car seem sluggish? Is it because the engine is new?
•The mechanic told me not to go over 65MPH and to baby the car until my first oil change. At that point the engine should be broken in. But is this the reason why it seems a little slow because it is new?
•Also can I switch to Synthetic at my first oil change?

Thanks any help is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:47 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Congrats on the new engine

I am not sure what you are referring to as sluggish. I would verify that everything was hooked up properly, vacuum lines, intake, etc. as they may have missed something...

The recommendation was right to take it easy for first 500-600 miles and then do the oil change. You could go with synthetic right away, no issues there...
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 03maxima1
Hey guys,
I finally got my engine replaced and picked up my car last night. I was dealing with the engine rattling and clicking noises that have been common to most of our cars. It took 2.5 months to get it done but the dealer ship finally agreed to replace the engine since they could not find the problem after they replaced the VTC Sprockets. I have a couple questions, hopefully someone can help:

•Why does my car seem sluggish? Is it because the engine is new?
•The mechanic told me not to go over 65MPH and to baby the car until my first oil change. At that point the engine should be broken in. But is this the reason why it seems a little slow because it is new?
•Also can I switch to Synthetic at my first oil change?

Thanks any help is appreciated.
A) you should not know if it is sluggish because you should be treating it like the baby it is until you get your oil changed.
B) Break-in has nothing to do with MPH and everything to do with RPM. Keep your RPM's low or else you'll just have more problems in another 25k.
C) yes.

Your engine needs to break in before it'll rev up like the old. It takes time to wear in the seals, rings, and bearings properly.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 AM

If you are "babying" the engine, wouldn't your car be sluggish by default?

Anyway, on new engines I have built (not Nissans), I was never too worried about a max speed during break-in. I was more concerned with max RPMs, not revving it too fast and not maintaining the same RPM for extended periods of time. Personally, I wouldn't switch to synthetic until the 2nd or 3rd oil change.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Yes, baby the engine until the first oil change. No high revs or power shifting. You can switch to synthetic at any time.

After the first oil change, if it stills seems sluggish, take a mechanic out for a ride and show him. It may or may not be in your head.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 AM

Thanks for your responses guys.
The problem is it just seems to have trouble to get up over 2000rpms when I first accelerate. That is what bugs me. I only pushed it once or twice but I did not go over 2500 rpms. I guess I just have to wait and see how it rides after a couple thousand miles.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
A) you should not know if it is sluggish because you should be treating it like the baby it is until you get your oil changed.
B) Break-in has nothing to do with MPH and everything to do with RPM. Keep your RPM's low or else you'll just have more problems in another 25k.
C) yes.

Your engine needs to break in before it'll rev up like the old. It takes time to wear in the seals, rings, and bearings properly.
I was not sure of all of this as the mechanic did not specify too much. I know it is common sense to take it slow, but it is hard to resist testing it out and making sure the guy did a good job installing it. I am just sick of dealing with engine problems.

Do you think I should take it slow for about 2000 miles, then do an oil change and then take slow for another 1000 and then it should be broken in?

When you say low RPM’s do you mean between 2000 and 3000?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Banned

I was not sure of all of this as the mechanic did not specify too much. I know it is common sense to take it slow, but it is hard to resist testing it out and making sure the guy did a good job installing it. I am just sick of dealing with engine problems.

Do you think I should take it slow for about 2000 miles, then do an oil change and then take slow for another 1000 and then it should be broken in?

When you say low RPM’s do you mean between 2000 and 3000?
-rpm's below 3k
-change your oil at no more than 1,000 miles.
-read the owner's manual for more details on how to break in the engine.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 AM

Typically, the 1st oil change is usually 500 miles, so you can get rid of all of metal particles of the rings and bearings cuased by the break-in process. I definitely wouldn't wait until 2000 miles for the 1st oil change.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 AM

-rpm's below 3k
-change your oil at no more than 1,000 miles.
-read the owner's manual for more details on how to break in the engine.
Why should I not wait more then 1000 miles to change the oil?
Thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 AM

I posted the last post before I read gateway_sc's post. That is what one of my friends said as well. But he seemed to think you could put 2000 miles on it.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Why should I not wait more then 1000 miles to change the oil?
Thanks
see the post just before yours. He was probably typing at the same time you were.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 AM

Got it thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:24 AM

I posted the last post before I read gateway_sc's post. That is what one of my friends said as well. But he seemed to think you could put 2000 miles on it.
There are several schools of thought on engine break-in. Some say you should wait longer to help speed the break-in process, but I'll stick with the 500 mile method.

Now who else snuck in front of me while I was posting?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:26 AM

Stupid question, but now I’m getting paranoid that I pushed it a little hard, when I accelerated a little bit twice but did not go over 2500RPM. Was that o.k.?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

Stupid question, but now I’m getting paranoid that I pushed it a little hard, when I accelerated a little bit twice but did not go over 2500RPM. Was that o.k.?
absolutly not! Your engine's gonna blow-up now!

you're fine.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 AM

absolutly not! Your engine's gonna blow-up now!

you're fine.
HaHaHa! Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I Know Kwaliti

All the engines I ever rebuilt (a few) I replaced oil after 500 miles and when you do it, you will know why Most of the breaking in happens then and the filter will get clogged up with debree and you will want to get rid of them as soon as possible and eliminate the risk of them floating in oil and damaging the engine... Revs you want to keep down as the parts are still aligning during break-in and over-reving it may mess things up badly...
Old 12-16-2005, 09:08 AM

Well, which is it, should I do it at 500 or 1000? After that change then it is back to normal, changing it after every 3000 right?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Banned

Well, which is it, should I do it at 500 or 1000? After that change then it is back to normal, changing it after every 3000 right?
Do it at 500. I posted the 1,000 miles a little too early in the morning. Funny how the milage changes in my head as I wake up!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 AM

Do it at 500....
Old 12-16-2005, 09:50 AM

sounds good....
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 AM

I just looked at my trip screen and noticed that I am averaging 18.5 MPG. Before I got the new motor I averaged 23 MPG. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is occurring?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just looked at my trip screen and noticed that I am averaging 18.5 MPG. Before I got the new motor I averaged 23 MPG. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is occurring?

Because you are looking at our garbage mpg meter. Finish your tank and calculate your true gas mileage before you worrry. Also, engines tend to go up in mpg when they are broken in.

James
Old 12-20-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by jimmycapp
Because you are looking at our garbage mpg meter. Finish your tank and calculate your true gas mileage before you worrry. Also, engines tend to go up in mpg when they are broken in.

James

Fill the tank up, reset the trip, drive it till you're almost empty or halfway or whatever, take note of the miles you've covered, fill it up and see how much gas you used, divide the # miles by the # gallons filled = mpg.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 AM

Thanks guys that is what I will do.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:35 AM

There are several schools of thought on engine break-in.

You guys can disagree with me all day long, but after my engine rebuild on my mustang I did a lot of research on how to properly "break in" the engine. Best way to do it, in my and many, many other prefessionals opinion, is heat the internals going fast, let the car "engine break" down to about 30, coast for ahile to cool the internals, do this a few more times to allow everything to seat correctly under a load, not just seat on "easy driving". Then change the oil to ride of the metal shavings from the way they wear to "seat" This allows everything to seat in the correct place, the place they will wear "under load".....
---an old thread I dug up when I rebuilt my Stang.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...engine+rebuild

damnitt, im going to stop quoting, it keeps moving my thread from bottom to right underneath
Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 AM

here are some more links on why you don't "baby" it.
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic..._to_amsoil.htm
or
http://www.taperformance.com/howto.htm
don't get me wrong, you don't want to WOT all over town. Just make sure you speed up and "engine break" down as often as possible. And don't let it sit at idle for 1/2 an hour everyday.

heres another with really good information, altough really extreme, he backs up his info with pictures and theorys- He's a biker though - 4 stroke just like ours.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

sometimes the second link works sometimes it doesnt. Try copying and pasting if it doesn't, not sure why but that seems to work.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:41 PM

well, according to my college professor, cars nowadays dont need to be broken in. The brake in period was recommended for the older cars back in the days when machining tools werent as precise. the break in period was used to polish out the kinks and smooth out the moving parts in the engine. Nowadays, engines parts are machined and polished so smoothly to where you don't need to break in the engines, unless its a rebuilt engine. And I know he knows what he's talking about since he has a Masters in ME and he's the Lead Professor in our SAE team. He supervised the formula 1 car that we built.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:56 PM

There are several schools of thought on engine break-in....
This is an understatement by far.... What is agreed by almost everyone who has any knowledge, however, is that just allowing a car to idle and "baby" is the wrong thig to do, and almost all will agree to change the oil of much as possible for the first 500-1000 miles....(Depending on who you talk too.)
We also have an ASE Mastertech for over 15 years and I get alot of my info from the racers out at the strip and circletrack.-They all concur.

EDIT: to get back on topic and answer the question of the original post... I don't think your mechanic knows a anything. You should not feel any power loss at all, IMO. I would read my owners manual and see what the break-in mileage is. (That way when you go back to the dealership they can't tell you that you beat it while "breaking in" the engine.... After you go that many miles go back to the dealer and tell them you have a power loss as compared to the original engine. If they don't beleive you, demand someone else test drive it and another vehicle, let them know about your MPG and other problems.--If all else fails call corporate or go to another dealer.--If all above fails threaten to call ????the governemnt-not sure who, you would have to research???? about your excessive fuel consumption and false advertising claim of mpg. (after you verify with fuel tank.)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 PM

If you think the rings aren't seated correctly, you could simply do a compression check.
Heres the year 2000 Maxima specs
Standard 1,275 kPa
Minimum 981 kPa
Differential Limit Between Cylinders 98 kPa
1KPa = 0.145psi
so 184.87 psi max
142.25 minimum and
14 psi difference between best/worse cylinder max.....
I would say something is wrong though. If the car runs fine and the only problem is a power loss after the complete break in. Try the compression test, see how well the internals have "seated".
You can buy the gauge from harbor freight for around $15-$20 and it is no harder than doing a simple tune up. (remove spark plugs, screw pressure tester into spark plug hole, crank engine 4 revolutions, record readings, do next cylinder the same way.)...if your good to go, well it took maybe 1 hour of your life for the reassurance.
Keep in mind these are NISSAN's specifications, and these specs are very tight..(usually you think 20% max in difference, they are less than 10%). So if your car is almost out of warranty you might just want to do one of these just so they have to replace your engine for free if you have any other problems.
Please keep us updated, I'm curious what will happen with this "power loss" issue. Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 06:31 AM
drag racing is for wussies

03maxima1 lemme know via PM which dealership did your motor I need a crankshaft for my 4L I'm building.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 GLE Lost Drive

Need access to start thread. Tired of walking

Sorry to break in but am denied access to start Thread.
My 02 GLE had been making a right front grinding noise. No noticable CV damage (boot is perfect) but some plastic shrouding rubbing. Removed shrouding and noise continued (mostly while getting underway and cornering). Just lost drive on way home, throttle and engine run fine in neutral but in and drive gear throttle drops to idle and won't respond. Lights and electrics soon dimmed and barely idled into driveway?????? No dash warning lights????

Bose/Clarion system was replaced 5 times under warranty (Nissan uses refurbished parts for warranty work, look closely for blue paint marks on driveline, they may knowingly put defective, refurbished parts in "NEW" vehicles also. Radio works but CD quit (getting ERR F3 code) any ideas?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
There are several schools of thought on engine break-in....
This is an understatement by far.... What is agreed by almost everyone who has any knowledge, however, is that just allowing a car to idle and "baby" is the wrong thig to do, and almost all will agree to change the oil of much as possible for the first 500-1000 miles....(Depending on who you talk too.)
We also have an ASE Mastertech for over 15 years and I get alot of my info from the racers out at the strip and circletrack.-They all concur.

EDIT: to get back on topic and answer the question of the original post... I don't think your mechanic knows a anything. You should not feel any power loss at all, IMO. I would read my owners manual and see what the break-in mileage is. (That way when you go back to the dealership they can't tell you that you beat it while "breaking in" the engine.... After you go that many miles go back to the dealer and tell them you have a power loss as compared to the original engine. If they don't beleive you, demand someone else test drive it and another vehicle, let them know about your MPG and other problems.--If all else fails call corporate or go to another dealer.--If all above fails threaten to call ????the governemnt-not sure who, you would have to research???? about your excessive fuel consumption and false advertising claim of mpg. (after you verify with fuel tank.)
I am confused. I have put about 270 miles on the new motor. I drive it by gradually building up speed and not going over 2500 RPMs. Is this wrong? If not how long should I do this for? Also should I get an oil change at 500 or not? thanks for your input. About the sluggish part, maybe it is my MAF sensor.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 PM

When they replaced the engine, did they give you a 100% brand new crate engine, or a factory rebuild? If you got a factory rebuild, did they replace the sensors, hoses, etc or did they swap them over?

I had ford replace an engine under warranty for a pos I had. They ended up swapping everything over and did a poor job of it. I looked under the hood and some things just didn't look clean like how they were from factory. Everything worked. However, I later discovered that they didn't ground the engine properly, and a cam position sensor went out. I dont want to scare you, but look under the hood and make sure everything looks good.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:44 PM

I am confused. I have put about 270 miles on the new motor. I drive it by gradually building up speed and not going over 2500 RPMs. Is this wrong? If not how long should I do this for? Also should I get an oil change at 500 or not? thanks for your input. About the sluggish part, maybe it is my MAF sensor.
It could very well be the electronics... Defiently get those tested if the car is still under warranty.... "I" feel breaking the engine in that way is incorrect. Others will disagree and tell you to baby it, but "I" think the best way to do it is by excessive acceleration and "engine braking". (between 1500 and 4800 rpms) (basically staying in manual gears) Then allow time to let it cool, and do it again...@ 270 miles your internals have pretty much have been "broken-in", they do this within the first 30 miles or so, just don't be crazy with it for another 500 miles or so to allow everything to fully break-in.....I'm not sure about engines from the manufacturer (Never got a free replacement before), but I would assume the engine was probably already tested and the rings where broken-in before it was shipped to you...Defiently change your oil @ 500. I have known people to change their oil @ 100, 200 500 and 1000 miles...Most of my buddys are freaks when it comes to over zealous maintaince.---But like I said if you did a compression test and it didn't pass Nissans specs, they would be required to replace the engine again while still under warranty or at least fix the problem, for free....and if it does-Well you lost maybe an hour to verify all your internals are in good working order.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM

unreal brings up some good points.. I am assumming since it was "rattles" and such they replaced it with a whole new long block???--I would call and ask if you got a shortblock or the whole kittenkaboodle.--My guess is they gave you a long block minus alternator, ps pump, etc. To me giving you a shortblock would make no sence since with the labor rate involved they would have probably just fixed yours.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by unrealii
When they replaced the engine, did they give you a 100% brand new crate engine, or a factory rebuild? If you got a factory rebuild, did they replace the sensors, hoses, etc or did they swap them over?

I had ford replace an engine under warranty for a pos I had. They ended up swapping everything over and did a poor job of it. I looked under the hood and some things just didn't look clean like how they were from factory. Everything worked. However, I later discovered that they didn't ground the engine properly, and a cam position sensor went out. I dont want to scare you, but look under the hood and make sure everything looks good.
It is new. And it looked fine when I opened it.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
unreal brings up some good points.. I am assumming since it was "rattles" and such they replaced it with a whole new long block???--I would call and ask if you got a shortblock or the whole kittenkaboodle.--My guess is they gave you a long block minus alternator, ps pump, etc. To me giving you a shortblock would make no sence since with the labor rate involved they would have probably just fixed yours.
They gave me the long block. I will wait get the oil change at 500 and then do another at 1000 and then take it from there. At that point if it is still sluggish I will take it in. Maybe it is the MAF. But I will not know until I get these oil changes done and punch it a bit.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 AM

I dont know if autozone rents out scanners, but a suggestion might be to monitor all of your sensors and see if they are reading within spec.

Another thought, someone correct me if I am wrong, but the computer sets its parameters on how you drive the car. Since you are driving it soft, it may set the engine to soft. You could disconnect the battery, then let it relearn. - Just another idea, I could be completely wrong on this.

Quick Reply: Just got a New Engine - Help