5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver side axle install

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Driver side axle install

I must be losing my mind here, but the driver side axle won't go in all the way even with the spring clip REMOVED. I can get it to slide in so the inner CV doesn't have any (or at least not much) side-to-side free play, but it just won't go in all the way, even with a 12T arbor plate being smashed into the outer CV joint (with the locknut overtop to protect the threads, and the CV joints compressed by hand before striking).

I assume when it's in there "snug" it's sitting on some kind of bearing. I tried turning the CV and then thrusting it in but no go. What gives?

(FYI this is the stock axle, not a replacement--it was in there before I started this clutch job)
Old 12-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Willing to learn

Take a very close look at the end of the axle. If you tried to seat it in the trannny with the end cocked out of place, even a little bit, you may have damaged the splines. You will need to take a triangle file, or a file with a sharp corner, and dress the end of the shaft back near the original condition. Make sure that the open ends of the NEW c-clip are at 12 o'clock when re-installing the axle.

Two things that I have discovered for sure:

1. If it takes that amount of force to seat the axle, it is probably damaged on the end.

2. It should not take that amount of force to seat the axle.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I ended up getting it in. The trick was to remove the strut and hold the outer CV straight level with it, and THEN strike it. It went in just fine after that. (This was with the clip in place; I'm guessing the clip actually helps center the shaft so it doesn't attempt to go in ****-eyed)

In addition, I decided to install the passenger side first. That helped keep the gears from turning too freely. It also let me confirm that the outer edge of the splines were, in fact, engaging, since turning the driver side did cause the passenger side to turn as well. (and you could feel the resistance)