5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

window tint ticket in pa!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:31 PM

window tint ticket in pa!!!!

got pulled over last nite and the cop says it was for my tint so he takes some meter and checks it and it comes back 27.7% now when i got my tint done there were 3 grades to chose from and was recomended the 1st 1 which i have because it is legal. you can see into car easily in daytime / pa law says nothing below 70% does this mean he f@#^*D up and i was legal?? im confused at how to interprit this...
Old 12-18-2005, 03:41 PM
retired moderator

post a pic of your car.....

if the cop noticed your tint, you are definitely darker than 70%....70% is hardly noticeable at all...I have 50% on my sides, and some people don't even think it's tinted at all....

also, find the paperwork from when you got the tint put on (you should have kept it around for warranty coverage, etc)...it will say what darkness you have.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:54 PM

how to post pict???/
Old 12-18-2005, 04:03 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by ornery1
how to post pict???/
www.photobucket.com
Old 12-18-2005, 04:26 PM

Only Philly cops don’t care about tint, anywhere else in the state you are criminal.
Same $hit happened to me like 4 times. I had the most expensive tint in the world, around 500 bucks.

You have 30% visibility but it needs to be 70% (legal)…the only thing that you can do is get something lighter 50% or so.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. What part of PA? I also live in PA, and I haven't got pulled over for my tint. (knock on wood) I have 20%.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:51 PM

bethlehem/near allentown
Old 12-18-2005, 06:47 PM

i wish someone would getrid of the stupid tint laws, i just dont understand why they have them in the first place the stupid laws.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Bacon Lover

I was under the impression it was 35% here

http://berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/
Old 12-18-2005, 07:03 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Xtigger
i wish someone would getrid of the stupid tint laws, i just dont understand why they have them in the first place the stupid laws.
if i was a cop, i would like to see what was waiting behind the 5% window tint when i pulled someone over. with that said, i think most cars look better with dark tint but i understand why it is a concern.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:45 PM

my tint is so light you can see completely through the car in the daytime very easily, i just found out from a friend who is a cop that bethlehem popo just got these tint meters and are all gung ho on bustin *****!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:49 PM
retired moderator

are all gung ho on enforcing the laws!!!!!!!!!!
edited for accuracy.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:55 PM

im one of the most polit down to earth easy going people most will ever meet and this dude was not cool at all
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 PM
retired moderator

im one of the most polit down to earth easy going people most will ever meet and this dude was not cool at all
I would assume then that your user name is meant to be ironic/faceteous, then?

or·ner·y (ôrn-r)
adj. or·ner·i·er, or·ner·i·est
Mean-spirited, disagreeable, and contrary in disposition.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:15 PM
westler92

Originally Posted by irish44j

or·ner·y (ôrn-r)

:lol You sonned him!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 08:34 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by westler92
:lol You sonned him!!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure he knows what his username means........I just thought it was funny considering his previous statement.

now "owning" involved though...
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

got pulled over last nite and the cop says it was for my tint so he takes some meter and checks it and it comes back 27.7% now when i got my tint done there were 3 grades to chose from and was recomended the 1st 1 which i have because it is legal. you can see into car easily in daytime / pa law says nothing below 70% does this mean he f@#^*D up and i was legal?? im confused at how to interprit this...
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=tint+law
Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 PM

wow, thats not exactly exciting news. i planned on getting tints while i was home over break. i go to school in bethlehem, so hot damn, that sucks... i suppose i'll go with 35% instead of 20%...

can you get ticket if you're out of state though? i know some states don't enforce tint laws on out of state cars.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:06 PM

In Hawaii I was going 2% on the side 4 and legal on the back so when a cop drives behind u they can see in. Also i get a 5% strip on the front window on top of the factory tint.

Try making ur back window legal, it might help.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:47 PM

If the law is nothing below 70% and yours tested at 27.7% your tint is illegal.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 AM

FUUUUUUK. it is not TINT(S), it's T-I-N-T. Tints is something in your grand-mothers underpants!!!! Tint goes on our car windows!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 AM

What Really Gets My Goat Is Here In Nj The Unmarked Cop Cars Are Fully Tinted Out All The Way Around....but Its Ok For Them To Use Every Means To Hide But If Its State Law Why Do They Not Have To Abide?????
Old 12-19-2005, 06:12 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by 20max01
What Really Gets My Goat Is Here In Nj The Unmarked Cop Cars Are Fully Tinted Out All The Way Around....but Its Ok For Them To Use Every Means To Hide But If Its State Law Why Do They Not Have To Abide?????
Don't break the law and you won't have to worry about this.

Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 AM

or·ner·y (ôrn-r)

actually this is my last name/ my plate says ornery1 and 2 ornery on my cars......
Old 12-19-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by shorty3870
wow, thats not exactly exciting news. i planned on getting tints while i was home over break. i go to school in bethlehem, so hot damn, that sucks... i suppose i'll go with 35% instead of 20%...

can you get ticket if you're out of state though? i know some states don't enforce tint laws on out of state cars.
at ncc??? college?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Time2go!

Does the Commonwealth of Pennsylvia have a law against tint limits? Yes, if you live here and have had your windows tinted by a good reputable shop it is clearly stated.

All State limits can be found here: https://www.sunsationalglasstint.com...ype=article#38

Pennsylvania-1999

Darkness:

Windshield Top 6 inches or manufacturers AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 20% of light in.

Reflectivity:

Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

Other:

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

TINT METER: Does the D.O.T. and State have an “Approved and Certified Calibrated Meter” to find out the level of tint you have? NO, the state or the DOT has NO such approved and certified calibrated meter.

I live in Chester County, in a nice little area called Exton where a little over paid police department in the township of Uwchland used to pull over people with tint all the time and use some type of “tint meter”. The fine was 140.00 dollars and you DID NOT even have to remove your tint. The police officer would tell you as he told me, “if you do not remove your illegal tint you will be risking being pulled over again and receiving another citation for 140.00.” Oh I even told the officer the second time I was pulled over I will take this to court as I have done in the past and he will loose. He said I will be present and will make sure this citation stands. I said, ‘Ahhh OK?”

Pay attention here: This means ANY police department in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvia has NOTHING to hold its case up to a Judge / Magistrate in court when YOU take them to court.
Trust me on this I have been to court 2 times and have WON (“case dismissed” by the judge for “lack of evidence”) in each case I stated the same facts I am presenting here in this forum. The DOT and State has NO approved and certified calibrated meter of any type.

Hold on this gets even better, I pleaded again “not guilty on the grounds of the DOT and State has NO approved and certified such calibrated meter of any type.”

In the second case the officer present asked the judge if he would go outside and look the windows of my car and without a meter decide for himself if I was over the legal limit of tint without any such meter. In my opinion this young officer upset the judge and he refused stating not very kindly: Quote “No, I am a justice for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvia, not a window tint expert. I also suggest you inform the Chief of your department to please stop the practice of issuing citations to hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens such as this gentleman and wasting all our valuable time for a mere $140.00” End Quote.

I was so happy I smiled and walked out of court I said “Cya later” to the young officer with a BIG smile on my face and a look on my face that could have read: “I told you so now Eat S**t!

I live in Chester County, in a nice little area called Exton where a little over paid police department in the township of Uwchland (which ironically, I now live across the street from) used to pull over people with tint all the time and use the above mentioned “tint meter”. The fine was 140.00 dollars and you DID NOT even have to remove your tint. The police officer would tell you as he told me, “if you do not remove your illegal tint you will be risking being pulled over again and receiving another citation for 140.00”.

After loosing in court so many times (to me twice alone) they have since stopped this practice of generating revenue from hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens such as myself. Now Uwchland Township has turned to setting up a “on the spot” truck inspection weigh station on route 100 north (just before truckers can get on our wonderful PA turn pike) every two weeks to generate our “illegal tint” revenue.

This little story just goes to show how a very cool judge interrupted the “tint law” in one car enthusiasts’ favor. You may not be as lucky as me but it is worth it to go to court and try.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 AM

TINT METER: Does the D.O.T. and State have an “Approved and Certified Calibrated Meter” to find out the level of tint you have? NO, the state or the DOT has NO such approved and certified calibrated meter.

how did you find out if your town had/did not have an approved DOT meter for this?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Time2go!

HAHAHA I hoped someone would ask this great question. All you need to do is ask the Judge for the police dept to show proof of calabration records, The police dept will say we do not have any. The Judge will ask why? The officer responded:"because it is not required by the state." Again the Judge asked why? The officer replied "the Commonwealth of Pennsylvia does not have a so called “Approved and Certified Calibrated Meter for messuring after maket window tint”. The Judge sounding a look anoyed said:"Since the State does not have one your dept created “Approved and Certified Calibrated Meter ?”
Looking dubfounded the officer said "I guess so and...." was cut off by the Judge. This is a court of the the Commonwealth of Pennsylvia not Uwchland township. State law has juristiction over Uwchland township and the D.O.T laws. Local township police departments are to inforce the traffic laws as defind by the state. This does not give the right for local townships such as Uwchland to create ways to enforce them with out due process.
Hence no standard = not valid in court. Kind of like 'he said she said" In PA all radar guns must be “Approved and Certified Calibrated” and the officer using them must also be trained and “Certified" to use the radar gun.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 AM

so, how do you find out if my state has dot sertified tint meters? did you just know about this and ask the judge, or are there web sites for this type of traffic laws?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Time2go!

I sent you an e-mail, but to answer your question in this forum I have a few friends that are cops. ( very cool guys ) and they told me what my township was doing and how easy it was to beat in court. BTW All the officers I talked to do not like this township they all think they are overpaid a$$holes.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 20max01
What really gets my goat is typing With Every Word Capitalized..

The police don't have to abide because....it's unlikely that there is a cop in a cop car that is going to have guns and drugs and whatever else hidden in his car (duh). Guess what, cops can also carry loaded guns in their cars, have blue lights on the roof/elsewhere, drive faster than the speed limit, etc etc...

Police can do alot of things with/in their cars that you can't...tint included.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 PM

What really gets my goat is typing With Every Word Capitalized..
You need to get on AIM too....