5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: What pads are the best for a non-racer?
Hawk HPS (ferro-carbon)
51.85%
Hawk Ceramic
9.26%
Hawk HP Plus
9.26%
PBR / AXXIS Deluxe
5.56%
PBR / AXXIS Metal Master XBG
6.48%
PBR / AXXIS Ultimate (Kevlar - Ceramic)
8.33%
Other - Please specify
12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Which pads are best for a non-racer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MrMaximaGLE
Anybody have any other ideas on what i can do to help prevent this vibration business. A mechanic friend of mine told me to make sure I clean the hub really well so the rotor sits correct and make sure I don't over torque when tightening down.
use a torque wrench and you shuold be fine!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:17 AM

I just did my brakes about 1000 miles ago. I got the brembo blanks based on what .orgers said about them. slotted/drilled were waaaaay out of my budget (besides the fact their performance gain is neglible for daily drivers). I also opted not to get the Hawks for mometary reasons in addition to compaints about noise/vibration. So, copped Akebono ProActs from Tirerack (based on RAVE reviews on the forums there). These pads are super silent and dont dust very much (or the dust is very light colored). They just dont BITE very hard. They stop just fine and I feel completely safe ...they just dont have that "stop on a dime" feel. So, Id say its a good choice if you want value, decent stopping, silent operation and long life (ceramics are purported to last a long time).
Old 02-10-2006, 07:59 AM

I used Performance friction carbon metallic's on my 4th gen with my 300ZX BBK kit, minimal dusting, no noise. completely happy and almost half the price as the Hawks:

http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/
Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 AM

What is the advantage of Brembo blanks vs. generic blanks? As long as they're both not drilled or slotted, what makes the big difference? Is it really worth the extra cost (which is high)?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
What is the advantage of Brembo blanks vs. generic blanks? As long as they're both not drilled or slotted, what makes the big difference? Is it really worth the extra cost (which is high)?
Better materials so they dont warp like the oem ones.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by unrealii
Better materials so they dont warp like the oem ones.

Its not so much that the rotors are warping, it is the OEM pads that are transfering material and causing an uneven braking surface.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Seoul Man

My Axxis/PBR Ultimates seem to be similar to the Hawk HPS. They stop well, but just as some of the Hawk users have said, they dust more than OEM pads, and they make some noise on slow stops. The Hawk HPS users seem to describe their noise as a grinding sound. With the Axxis/PBR Ultimates, the noise is more of a light squealing. Passengers sometimes tell me that I must need new brakes. I got tired of correcting them, so I just say "Yes, you're right. I'm driving on worn pads that could get us killed at any moment." Then I smile.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Seoul Man

Oh, another thing about my Axxis Ultimates...

They don't deposit material on the rotors like the OEM pads do, but they actually seem to be removing material from the rotors. I've heard that this can be a problem with really aggressive pads. Do the Hawk HPS pads do this to your rotors too?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i like the hawks, but they didnt grip as well. Dirt cheap though
Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by willha418
i like the hawks, but they didnt grip as well. Dirt cheap though
They didn't grip as well as what? As OEM? They should grip better than OEM. Be more specific, please.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Its not so much that the rotors are warping, it is the OEM pads that are transfering material and causing an uneven braking surface.
Oh, ok. I hate to pose a newbish question, but if I were to buy high quality pads like the hawk hps, is it possible for marterial transfer to the rotors?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
My Axxis/PBR Ultimates seem to be similar to the Hawk HPS. They stop well, but just as some of the Hawk users have said, they dust more than OEM pads, and they make some noise on slow stops. The Hawk HPS users seem to describe their noise as a grinding sound. With the Axxis/PBR Ultimates, the noise is more of a light squealing. Passengers sometimes tell me that I must need new brakes. I got tired of correcting them, so I just say "Yes, you're right. I'm driving on worn pads that could get us killed at any moment." Then I smile.
lololololololololololololol..........
Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by unrealii
Oh, ok. I hate to pose a newbish question, but if I were to buy high quality pads like the hawk hps, is it possible for marterial transfer to the rotors?

I will not say,NO THEY WILL NOT!! But I dont think anyone on here has a had a problem with material transfer and Hawk HPS. I have made several highspeed stops (110-->0mph ) and I did not get one bit of shimmy or shake out of the brakes and on OEM pads if I had to make a quick stop from 60-->0mph, they would shake and shimmy for days.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i personally like ebc green stuff on power slot cryo rotors, i do not race so any issue of to much heat never comes up, but as for everyday use i couldn't ask for better.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:58 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

HPS FTW!!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:49 PM

I put a set of Axxis Ceramics on my 00 Max along with cross drilled and slotted blanks and I couldn't have been happier with the stopping power. They had zero fade in heavy braking and what little dust they created, you could barely see on the wheels. I ran them for over 50K miles and they were still stopping the car like a champ when I sold it. I will by the Axxis ceramics again when I need new pads for my 03.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Contact www.internetautomart.com he used to be on Maxworld under internetautomart....great prices on brembo blanks and will get you some great ceramics cheap!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:27 PM

I got a 2001 max and I have also owned a 2000 max and I always got the material transfer. I just put on brand new blanks and Hawk HPS pads. I cant wait to see what happens!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

^^

I would listen to Irish, he is old now
lol, thats foul

i have Hawks HPS on my stock rotors now after the dealer lied and said that my OEM pads were good when i would get squealing constantly.....i also have a set of HAWK's on the side for the Slotted rotors im gonna use in a bit

but by far, i like HAWK. they grip damn well, especially at high temps
Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

Slotted rotors are only for looks. I like they way they looked, so I put them on my car.

Best peformance is going to be blanks still.

so....question, did i waste 230 bucks on front powerslot slotted rotors from custommaxima.com?

or should i have just gotten brembo blanks all the way around instead of just for the rear?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
I used Performance friction carbon metallic's on my 4th gen with my 300ZX BBK kit, minimal dusting, no noise. completely happy and almost half the price as the Hawks:

http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

Performance Friction is the lower end (available in stores) brand of Porterfield, and Hawk is also their brand. R4S is the Porterfield street pad.

I am in love with Porterfield R4S pads, and won't buy anything else. My Max currently has Brembo slotted and cross-drilled rotors with the R4S pads.

I bought Axxis Metal-Masters once as a recommendation. They destroy rotors.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 PM

Any ideas on how the performance friction stack up against the hawk?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

^^well its one thing i can say about the HAWKS is that they feel great while breaking, and THEy HONESTLY BRAKE HARDER AS THE PADS AND ROTORS HEAT UP. i have HAWK HPS Pads, 2 powerslot slotted up front, and 2 brembo blanks in the back. My pads squeal a bit, but i more than likely need to re bed them.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dementia
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

Performance Friction is the lower end (available in stores) brand of Porterfield, and Hawk is also their brand. R4S is the Porterfield street pad.

I am in love with Porterfield R4S pads, and won't buy anything else. My Max currently has Brembo slotted and cross-drilled rotors with the R4S pads.

I bought Axxis Metal-Masters once as a recommendation. They destroy rotors.

Is the 69.99 price for all four or just a front or rear set?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 PM

What's this business about bedding or burnishing hawk pads on the rotor? I just purchased a set of Hawks HPS and Brembo Blanks for the front, but can I have one of the local shops install it properly
Old 12-08-2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
lol, thats foul

i have Hawks HPS on my stock rotors now after the dealer lied and said that my OEM pads were good when i would get squealing constantly.....i also have a set of HAWK's on the side for the Slotted rotors im gonna use in a bit

but by far, i like HAWK. they grip damn well, especially at high temps
How well do the Hawks work with the stock rotors? I'm sold on the Hawks but is there any real advantage to getting aftermarket rotors? I do only street driving and often have to make 70-0 stops on country roads.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt
How well do the Hawks work with the stock rotors? I'm sold on the Hawks but is there any real advantage to getting aftermarket rotors? I do only street driving and often have to make 70-0 stops on country roads.
Blank rotors are just pieces of metal, it'll work well with cheap NAPA rotors, factory ones, or Brembo, don't worry.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt

well considering i JUST HAD my stock rotors swapped out.brembo blanks in the back, and powerslot slotted rotors up front. THE BRAKING PROCESS FEELS ALOT SMOOTHER as opposed to those rusted to hell stock rotors.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01Bblack
What's this business about bedding or burnishing hawk pads on the rotor? I just purchased a set of Hawks HPS and Brembo Blanks for the front, but can I have one of the local shops install it properly

thats what i did.but now my brakes squeal when not very hot...at LOW TEMPS......i rebedded them last night.....SO IM GONNA TEST EM OUT AGAIN TODAY, AND IF THEY SQUEAL, IM TAKING MY CAR BACK TO THE GUY THAT DID THE BRAKES AND HAVE HIM CHECK THEM OUT WHILE HE DOES MY OIL CHANGE
Old 12-09-2006, 08:00 AM
大陆弟弟

Well yes, any new rotor will feel better than rusted old ones of course. But can you stop typing in caps? It is like you are talking and then suddenly screaming ~_~
Old 12-22-2006, 04:24 PM

i just did the 6th gen upgrade with the hawk HPS, and I am very happy.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Now that I've had my new brakes for a few days, I can say this: Brembo blanks with Hawk HPS pads just flat-out STOP!

I've probably caused nearly 10 people to rear-end me in the past couple of days because stops that required a firm push with the stock brakes require only a tap with the new setup. And no more vibration! Just firm, smooth stops every time. A++
Old 12-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrMaximaGLE
Anyone have any other recs for me, do i need any new mounting hardware, (ie clips or the like)?

Keith

Follow the instructions on the box on how to "bed" the pads.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:52 PM

I had the Hawk Ceramics installed and haven't noticed much of a difference over the stock pads. I guess I will try the HPS in a year or so I guess.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 AM

What is everyone's favorite vendor for the Brembo blanks? One of the ones listed here doesn't have front rotors for a 2K2...

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 AM
2002 maxima se

hawks hps makes too much squealing and whistling sound while braking. i have a combination of brembo blanks with hawks hps. i made a very bad decision by going with hawks i would never ever use hawk pads anymore. i would rather go with akebono or oem pads i had akebono for over a years and never had any sound came from them at all. they are way quiter than hawks. hawks are terible. i am tired of this metal squeaking sounds even though i got new rotors and used that anti-squealing stuff on calipers. anyway i might remove the hawks and throw them in trash and get myself a new pair of akebono's.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by OC guy
hawks hps makes too much squealing and whistling sound while braking. i have a combination of brembo blanks with hawks hps. i made a very bad decision by going with hawks i would never ever use hawk pads anymore. i would rather go with akebono or oem pads i had akebono for over a years and never had any sound came from them at all. they are way quiter than hawks. hawks are terible. i am tired of this metal squeaking sounds even though i got new rotors and used that anti-squealing stuff on calipers. anyway i might remove the hawks and throw them in trash and get myself a new pair of akebono's.
You didn't break them in correctly.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:56 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by d00df00d
You didn't break them in correctly.
i did bend them on lower speed.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

i dunno how anyone can recommend hawk brake pads when they've ALWAYS been known to dust really bad and be noisy as a trade up for the excellent stopping power.

i'm using akebono brake pads and i think they are exceptional for non-performance applications.
btw, i've never used ebc green stuff for my maxima, but i did on my integra (which i did pretty hard driving on) and those brakes were EXCELLENT. stopped on a dime and dusted very little.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by OC guy
i did bend them on lower speed.
Exactly. That's not the right way to do it.

Originally Posted by spark plugs.
i dunno how anyone can recommend hawk brake pads when they've ALWAYS been known to dust really bad and be noisy as a trade up for the excellent stopping power.
Have they really?

Dust, yes. They dust like hell. But noise, no. They'll make an occasional squeak when the temperature is just right, but other than that they're incredibly civil for a pad that performs at that level.

I've had Satisfied Pro Ceramic, EBC Greenstuff, Axxis Ultimate, Hawk HPS, and then Hawk HPS again. Of those, the HPS is the second-dustiest but definitely the quietest.

Quick Reply: Which pads are best for a non-racer?