5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The search is on: Looking to rid myself of the Max

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 02:29 PM

After almost a year of god awful high car payments. I'm looking to reduce my car payments. This may seem like a flame on the maxima, but, it is in no way meant so.

I had a whole whopping $1500 down on my Maxima and pay $428/mo for this beast. Due to my just blooming credit, i had a 11.7% APR. 72 months later, i would own this collection of fine automotive art. (yes, i got raped)

I'm tired of shelling out the near half grand a month for car payments, the $150/mo for car insurance, the $20-$30/wk for a full tank of gas, etc. The car is too big for my 5' 7" , 170lb stature. The engine is one of the sweetest engines in the world, but, it's not enough to sway my decision. I dislike the tranny/clutch more everyday. The styling is one to get use to (and I've bonded to the car), but alas, I need to let her go. Maxine was a good car.

What I'm looking for is simply this: Something preferably under $24K, 2 doors, 1999 or newer (something I can't still get at a dealership, ie, trade my max in and finance the car), stick-shift, and no american made car (they don't fit my personal taste and having to use standard wrenches makes me cringe! )

my passive choices have been:

Solara SE V6 5spd. I love the styling of this car. The suspension is a bit soft...i haven't driven the 5spd as of yet (but i will extensively before I buy one). The Se is around $20K invoiced...hopefully I can get it at that price. 5 lugs so I can keep my rims off the max and toss them on the Solara.

Integra ITR. The styling is bland and boring, but, it makes up for the way it drives. I love honda transmissions. The engine has excellent revability (and I love to drive in the upper atmosphere of the rpms). But, at $22K invoiced and the rarity of this car, I will likely get raped on the price ($25K for an integra? uh, no.). 5 lugs also, 18s on an ITR might be too much though.

Integra GS-R. Same boring styling. slower, but, $20K invoiced. More common and more likely I can get it closer to invoice.

Civic Si. even worse in the styling department, but, these come cheap! $18K for a near new civic si. I'll easily cut my payments down to something more breathable. I have a CRX so, cross-breeding mods is simplistic!

Sentra SE-R V-spec. This is one of my more favorite, but, knowing how it's being hyped, it's gonna be near the $23K neighborhood...and it's a four door.

Suburu WRX. hehehe. But $23K invoiced. Bet it gets bumped to $26K+

Dodge Dakota RTI can tow my CRX to the track rather than driving it. This is the most passive thought...kinda like a "how about..", but, i'm sure it's the cheapest out of the rest, short of the Civic.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you have to let your Maxima go.

Your list of alternate cars are fine, but what is your financial situation now compared to what it was when you first got your Maxima? A bunch of the cars on your list are between the $20,000 to $25,000 range. How much of a down payment can you afford this time around? If you don't have much of a down payment like how it was previously, and you go for one of those $20K-$25K cars, what real difference will it make when comparing it to your current Maxima payments?

If you can't afford your Maxima, you really need to look at smaller and/or less expensive cars. Most, if not all, of the cars on that kind of a list should be between $15,000 and $20,000, and a lot of them would most likely be four-cylinder cars.

A few months before shopping around for my SE, I was really looking into the $15K-$20K range. This was based on what I could afford. Then I got another job that was better paying that allowed me to go up to the next notch, so I got the Maxima. All I'm saying is that, you need to really consider where you're at financially and get a car accordingly. You don't want pay too much again with too little and end up in the same situation next year.

Good hunting, though, and good luck.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
After almost a year of god awful high car payments. I'm looking to reduce my car payments. This may seem like a flame on the maxima, but, it is in no way meant so.

I had a whole whopping $1500 down on my Maxima and pay $428/mo for this beast. Due to my just blooming credit, i had a 11.7% APR. 72 months later, i would own this collection of fine automotive art. (yes, i got raped)

I'm tired of shelling out the near half grand a month for car payments, the $150/mo for car insurance, the $20-$30/wk for a full tank of gas, etc. The car is too big for my 5' 7" , 170lb stature. The engine is one of the sweetest engines in the world, but, it's not enough to sway my decision. I dislike the tranny/clutch more everyday. The styling is one to get use to (and I've bonded to the car), but alas, I need to let her go. Maxine was a good car.

What I'm looking for is simply this: Something preferably under $24K, 2 doors, 1999 or newer (something I can't still get at a dealership, ie, trade my max in and finance the car), stick-shift, and no american made car (they don't fit my personal taste and having to use standard wrenches makes me cringe! )

my passive choices have been:

Solara SE V6 5spd. I love the styling of this car. The suspension is a bit soft...i haven't driven the 5spd as of yet (but i will extensively before I buy one). The Se is around $20K invoiced...hopefully I can get it at that price. 5 lugs so I can keep my rims off the max and toss them on the Solara.

Integra ITR. The styling is bland and boring, but, it makes up for the way it drives. I love honda transmissions. The engine has excellent revability (and I love to drive in the upper atmosphere of the rpms). But, at $22K invoiced and the rarity of this car, I will likely get raped on the price ($25K for an integra? uh, no.). 5 lugs also, 18s on an ITR might be too much though.

Integra GS-R. Same boring styling. slower, but, $20K invoiced. More common and more likely I can get it closer to invoice.

Civic Si. even worse in the styling department, but, these come cheap! $18K for a near new civic si. I'll easily cut my payments down to something more breathable. I have a CRX so, cross-breeding mods is simplistic!

Sentra SE-R V-spec. This is one of my more favorite, but, knowing how it's being hyped, it's gonna be near the $23K neighborhood...and it's a four door.

Suburu WRX. hehehe. But $23K invoiced. Bet it gets bumped to $26K+

Dodge Dakota RTI can tow my CRX to the track rather than driving it. This is the most passive thought...kinda like a "how about..", but, i'm sure it's the cheapest out of the rest, short of the Civic.
What about a Celica? Or the new Eclipse?

Mike H.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

Somehow I don't think buying another new car is gonna help. I mean you say you paid too much for the maxima. But that is already said and done. There is nothing you can do about it. The cars on your list are about what your car is worth now to a dealer or private(even if that). So let's say you car is worth $23k now. If you buy another $23k car, how is that going to help you?? Maybe by getting really low interest rate?? I would probably be better to re-finance your current car debt with something else. ie.. home improvement loan or etc...

Off hand, I would think the only way to significantly lower your debt, is to sell/trade your car for something ALOT cheaper. ie.. a used 4-gen or an used version of the cars that you list.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:56 PM

Forget to include

I'm just tired of driving the Maxima around. The beam suspension becomes too noticable at times. I'm more interested in getting a car that has tossability in it's nature. The Solara and Dakota are kinda exemped in that catagory, but the Dakota is also much cheaper.

Payments is the main reason, the next reason is the heft of the Maxima, third, possibly boredom of the car or the fact that it's a car that describes a guy with a family...i'm 21, single, no kids...driving a family car (with a insanely addictive engine pulling it along). Maybe it's my state of mind that needs refreshing
Old 06-05-2001, 03:40 PM
Sly

Re: Forget to include

Maybe it's my state of mind that needs refreshing
Sounds like you just need a new mod, rather than a whole new car. At least that's what I do when I'm feeling bored with the Max. Although that still doesn't change the payments. Tough call.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:53 PM

Re: Re: Forget to include

Originally posted by Sly

Sounds like you just need a new mod, rather than a whole new car. At least that's what I do when I'm feeling bored with the Max. Although that still doesn't change the payments. Tough call.
i'm in almost the same situation, i need to find a another car, gonna try to find a nice used car, somewhere around $13K-$15K. i saw a few accord coupes(V6), a VW jetta vr6, infiniti I30(has leather, which i dont want, but at a good price, why not). my friend has a 2k camaro z28(fast a$$ car), but insurance and car payments are killing him, so the two of us are going around looking for some decent cars in the price range above. any advice? looking for a 97+, low miles(less than 50k), dont care about leather or good stereo system(like bose), should have power everything, sunroof would be nice, and MUST have a nice engine(like the VQ, v6 is prefered).
Old 06-05-2001, 04:02 PM

selling the max

Solo2
Sorry to hear you're selling the max........I know what you
mean about the issues you have with the Max though...my
Max is actually the wife's.....like more than I dislike though. As the others have said, sometimes getting out of a car is more expensive than just keeping the car you have.
As for the other cars you listed just my 2 cents,
good luck finding an ITR, and as you said, check around,
you'll be lucky to pay sticker if not above
solara is nice but 5 sp is harder to find
GS-R have you heard the engine? LOUD as hell
Dakota R/T........did you say you hated bad gas mileage?
Sentra SE-R....wait and see, as I am (I currently have a 99 Accord EX and the 94 SE 4X4 pickup)
WRX - again, lucky initially to get out at sticker though
the fad should fade soon enough
good luck with whatever you choose
Old 06-05-2001, 04:10 PM

ANOTHER consideration which is making me go .yum.

VW GTI 1.8 Turbo.

My how do I miss turbos. It's a hatchback (which I love), pretty nimble, moonroof standard, and under $20K. But, it's a water-cooled VW (I dispise them!) and the looks are...well... blah. Plus, there's the overwhelming reliablity issues related to VWs.

I'm car shopping something after work... see what I find.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:15 PM

That sucks..

Sorry to hear you selling your ride. I'm sure you'll find something that fit your lifestyle. Maybe one day you'll come back to the org with a max?
Old 06-05-2001, 05:20 PM

Refinance???

As a Bank Manager in Florida, I feel it is my responsibility to help you keep your car. All your comments sway back and forth but seems you are commited to keeping car as long as payments are reduced. Go to your local bank, not current car loan company, with a payoff. (Call current loan holder and request written one faxed to you). As long as you have made your payments on time since car was new you should be able to reduce loan. Typical loan % are 7.2-8.0 on 2001, 8.0-8.5 on 2000, and 8.5-9.5 on 1999. All should be financed for 60 months max. Your payment may not change much but you will reduce to time owed which brings you more principal.

Second factor........with 1500.00 down and your current rate with long payment you WILL be upside down in your loan. NO SLAM!!! You owe more than cars worth and will need to pay difference. The same thing will happen on trade, they may however be able to tack loss on to new car.....thus putting you upside down again. If you need more help email me .........killrwheels@yahoo.com
Old 06-05-2001, 05:27 PM
Got Bent?

I agree with killrwheels. If payments are your main concern, then getting rid of the maxima will not help. The negative equity will be more harmful right now.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:32 PM

Refinance if possible

Understand your delima but your payment is cheaper than mine. I got a fully loaded one for $26K, added the extended no deductible warranty for $1K which left me financing $27 at 7.5% interest for 6 years (i never put a downpayment on something that is going to depreciate). $477 a month but that was much better than many other max owners I had talked to, plus you can't get a sweet car for much less than that anymore, fully loaded.

I looked at the Solara, nice car and it's a Toyota..Well built, but the SOlara I looked at with the same options came in $500 more than the Max list price and they WOULD NOT even bargain with me any since they were selling so many of them.

If at all possible, I would try and refinance. Your interest is KILLING you for sure. That is making a big difference in your payments. Drop that down to 7.5 or so and you will see a 60 - 100 buck difference in your payment per month.

Your car insurance sounds high too. Mine is $70 a month. Are you sure you are taking full advantage of all discounts? What is your deductible at? Are you carring extra stuff, such as medical, that you could drop? I dropped the medical on myself and it lowered mine 20 bucks a month. I have medical coverage at work, no need in being double carried.

Another option, if you have the credit, is to talk to a credit card company. I'm in the process of doing that. If American Express Blue will give me flat 4.9% for the life of my one transfer, I am going to put my car on my credit card. Lower interest than the auto industry gave me. It also allows you to pay at your rate, more one month, less the next if you don't has the money.

Let us know what you decide. I'm interested to see what options pay off for you.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:24 PM

Dude man,

you didn't just get raped, you got gang banged!!

$430 a month for 6 years!! Holy crap!

My car is exactly like yours, a white GXE 5-speed.

I'm paying $400 a month for 4 years. I downed $3000.

My interest rate is 5.9%. Well, I got the car in my mom's name, that explains the low rate..

Anyway, the point is, you should refinance. Since you've been paying the loan for some time now, you should be able to get decent rates. Refinanciang WILL be cheaper than trading your car and getting another car that costs above $20k.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:28 PM

No one flame me...

But I really like those new Protege MP3's...

Old 06-06-2001, 12:56 AM

The advice to look into refinancing makes sense to me, even if you are getting a bit tired of the car. My bet is that you'll find yourself less tired of the Max if/when the payments aren't eating you up anymore, like they are now!
Old 06-06-2001, 01:55 AM

Re: Refinance if possible

Originally posted by maximaman69
Understand your delima but your payment is cheaper than mine. I got a fully loaded one for $26K, added the extended no deductible warranty for $1K which left me financing $27 at 7.5% interest for 6 years (i never put a downpayment on something that is going to depreciate). $477 a month but that was much better than many other max owners I had talked to, plus you can't get a sweet car for much less than that anymore, fully loaded.

I looked at the Solara, nice car and it's a Toyota..Well built, but the SOlara I looked at with the same options came in $500 more than the Max list price and they WOULD NOT even bargain with me any since they were selling so many of them.

If at all possible, I would try and refinance. Your interest is KILLING you for sure. That is making a big difference in your payments. Drop that down to 7.5 or so and you will see a 60 - 100 buck difference in your payment per month.

Your car insurance sounds high too. Mine is $70 a month. Are you sure you are taking full advantage of all discounts? What is your deductible at? Are you carring extra stuff, such as medical, that you could drop? I dropped the medical on myself and it lowered mine 20 bucks a month. I have medical coverage at work, no need in being double carried.

Another option, if you have the credit, is to talk to a credit card company. I'm in the process of doing that. If American Express Blue will give me flat 4.9% for the life of my one transfer, I am going to put my car on my credit card. Lower interest than the auto industry gave me. It also allows you to pay at your rate, more one month, less the next if you don't has the money.

Let us know what you decide. I'm interested to see what options pay off for you.
Good advice. Try it and let us know what happends.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:02 AM
gtobynj

RE-FINANCE

I agree with all the posts on negative equity, you will take a bath in that area.

I traded my 10 month old POS VW GTi Turbo for my Max and took a BIG bath - I knew it would happen but I had to get out of that car before I drove it into a brick wall at 70mph (that's how much I hated it).

My credit situation though was very screwed up! But to cut a long story short, despite one car on lease, a car on finance and a mortgage and a 5k limit credit card (not one with a late payment ever) the dealer could not get me credit - though the fools had let me drive off the lot with the car. They finally managed to get Ford Credit to finance the car at a staggering 19.2%. So I basically told them that there was no way in hell I was going to make the payment at that rate and that it certainly wasn't the deal I signed up to. I thought I got a good deal on the car, but they had to take another $3k off the price to bring the payment down to a more realistic level with that interest rate.

I turned around to my credit Union and refinanced at 7.25%. That took my payment down by $50 dollars a month... and took an entire YEAR off the finance period. Savings total, about $11k - $3k off by the dealer and $8k off in interest savings!

Old 06-06-2001, 07:03 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Count me in for another refinancing vote. Try and stick with the Max.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:17 AM

how about this idiocy/lunacy:

Refinance the car for say, the next 3-4 months, trade it in on a 2002 3.5L 260hp maxima!?
Old 06-06-2001, 08:35 AM

Loan

go to wheels.eloan.com and you can get a 7.79% loan to refinance.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:40 AM

You still live in LV? I'm back for the summer and would like to see your Max before you get rid of it. Also, not sure if this helps, but a friend I have just started working at the GMC dealership in the AutoMall. If they have anything that you like (maybe like the used Vette they got there) I'm sure I could get you a good deal. get a sonoma with the v6 and stick for under 18 to tow the car maybe, but that would be no fun. Hmmm.... Pontiac GTP for around 22 or so?
Old 06-06-2001, 08:42 AM

Also.. Don't trade it into the dealer or you'll get ***-raped w/o lube... Sell it to an individual
Old 06-06-2001, 09:17 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

how about this idiocy/lunacy:

Refinance the car for say, the next 3-4 months, trade it in on a 2002 3.5L 260hp maxima!?
That might make your matter worse... just a guess.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

That might make your matter worse... just a guess.
I agree with kev. Trading a $22k that you've had for < 2 years (esp on a 6 year loan) on another 20-25$ car won't help. If you think you got it bad now...then you'll REALLY be hurtin'. Wait another 2 years (get a little more equity in your car). Don't trade your max in on a flashy coupe because your insurance will likely increase. In fact...I always call my insurance co before I buy a car (just to see how much more my ins will be). At least the max is likely getting you a better rate than a coupe (check this before buying a coupe).

I'd keep the max another 2 years, then start leasing cars (if your mileage are less than 15k annually). Leasing is good if you get bored with a car often.

Good luck.