5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Extended Warranty

I am looking for a extended warranty for my nissan maxima 2002, 44K Miles.

Whats good out there? buy direct from Nissan?

Who has extended warranty and can give me details?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM

i just bought my first maxima. 2003 GLE with 31,000. I always have owned toyota and honda which i never worried about extended warranties. They seem to go 4ever with minimal problems. With the maxima do I really need extended warranties? Will i expeirnce lots of problems. I bought the 2003 instead of the 2004 because of what i read about the 2004.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by cwb23
i just bought my first maxima. 2003 GLE with 31,000. I always have owned toyota and honda which i never worried about extended warranties. They seem to go 4ever with minimal problems. With the maxima do I really need extended warranties? Will i expeirnce lots of problems. I bought the 2003 instead of the 2004 because of what i read about the 2004.
I have a 2003 SE with 73k miles on it. I did buy the extended warranty when i was at 35k miles. It cost me around $1200 for full coverage until 100k miles.
I have not used it yet. No problems. We'll see if it will turn out to be a good investment.

I read A LOT of posts here on the extended warranty topic and seems like a lot of people who bought the warranty were thankful that they did it. They did have some issues with their cars.

Btw...i got my warranty directly from Nissan.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:04 PM

i bought my car with 30k... paid 1400 to have bumper to bumper until 100k... dunno if its worth it... but better safe than sorry
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not if you add mods.

I have an extended warranty and if you are loking to add mods, then forget it. The warranty states that only if the mod.non-OEM oart causes the covered item to fail will it not be covered - yeah right. You can adda non-OEM battery and if sensors die, they will say it was because you put in a non-OEM battery even if the battery is better than OEM. The dealers are so strict, and once they make a decision, that's final!

The extended warranty has an inherent conflict of interest, Nissan sells he warranty and Nissan decides whether something is covered under the warranty. Conflict of interest, hell yes! That is an illegal contract in certain jurisdictions. I had an alternator replaced the warrantly (clearly broken, but they added I should replace my brand new Optima battery with ann OEM battery if i want to make sure its covered down the road, what the?), fine, but then they said that becuase I don't have a OEM exhuast system they can't help me with my covered O2 sensors. Even if the replacement exhaust is better than OEM. The reason: non-OEM nissan exhausts collect more water moisture than Nissan exhausts and caused the O2 sensor to fail. Like O2 sensors at 50k might not just die by themselves as we know nissan o2 sensors suck and have problems. I asked the representative, what is the study, proof, reasoning being this moisture theory? They said, thats what the servicing dealer said, so now the stupid dealer can make rejection of coverage in addition to Nissan. I told them, well if the OEM exhuast is so good, how come it rusted off in2 years and my o2 sensors worked fine 20k miles in the non-OEM stainless steel exhaust, they just go defensive and then flatly said, if you have non-OEM parts, they have the right to reject coverage, whether it is the cause of the problem or not! Wow! I know Nissan puts incentives to reject coverage into the authorization process, how else can they sell warranties and make max profit? I am about ready to call them out on all the conflicts of interests, non-uniform understanding of the warranty terms from dealer to dealer and service rep to service rep, and the incentives which make dealers deathly afraid to provide coverage without Nissan's explicit authority.

I am an attorney and am so fired up right now (especially since they charged me a diagnostics fee on the failed sensors, after I told them the codes and exactly which ones should be replaced - guess what, they told me everything I already knew bu charged me $100 for a diagnostic - took me 5 minuted with an OBD scanner to get the same exact conclusion) after they knew they would no cover it under warranty, I guess they were planning that I would tell them to do the work I have no other choice) ready to file a legal action, it doesn't matter to me $$ wise but I would like to find out how Nissan extended warranties are supposed to work so people that buy them don't get screwed. The warranty sales at the dealer (ever notice it is a take now warrantly b/c we won't give it to you later - pressure sales tactics) who'll say anything and then you find jack gets covered. I'm not dissolusioning myself into thinking I am going to get them to replace their crappy o2 sensors that would've died without by new exhAUST, but, I would like them to deal fairly under thier contracts as they have a duty under law to do.... (i'm real mad right now, I am writing to Nissan North America USA and if I get some canned pre-made "screw you" you guys never do anything response, I will press it further.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM

I have http://www.warrantydirect.com/

I haven't had to file any claims yet, but they are the best priced and received good reviews from others on this site. Here's a post..

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....arranty+direct
Old 12-28-2005, 02:47 PM

I bought an aftermarket warranty for my 93 Cobra back in the day. Had the T5 trans go out. One of the local extended warranty representatives came out checked my tire tread, left and they said it wasn't covered. Talked to my attorney, she called them and they said the most they could offer me is a pro-rated refund, not even a full refund. (rear tires where 1/32 of an inch less tread than front---1/32!!!).. Be very cautious about these "aftermarket" warranties, they are often located in another state and licensed in your state. They don't care about you and actually pay these guys to find a reason to not cover you under warranty..If you are going with a warranty - go Nissan, true you can't put on a new exhaust and expect them to replace your 02's. The same way you can't expect them to replace your wheel bearings if you lower your car. But at least they aren't a second rate service that won't pay you no matter what.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:17 PM

I know this is bringing an old post back from the dead but I've got to say that warranties are the sh**. I purchased an 02 gle with 55k on it that came with a check engine light for free!

So I went over to one of my local nissan dealerships and purchased a warranty from Fidelity (key word). It was kinda costly at 2300 but it's 48k or 48 months bumper to bumper including radio.

In the two months of having the warranty they've replaced both my 02 sensors, fixed my bose head unit, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the sunroof motor, and replaced the valve gaskets. I had a feeling my car was a lemon to begin with.

So far the warranty has paid for itself and then some. If you're ever going to buy a warranty make sure it's from a reputable place that isn't going to go out of business and make sure you don't buy the nissan warranty unless your car is certified pre-owned.

Hopefully this helps someone out one day.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM

if you buy direct from nissan, should cost btwn 800-1200. make sure its the one that there is no deductible, and is bumper to bumper for EVERYTHING untill 100k or # of years. its worth the money even if you dont use it. i had to get 2 solinoids (sp*) replaced along with an airbag light and it wud cost me roughly $1900, so basically i put $700 in my pocket. def worth the money. good luck
Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My driver's seat stopped working and since I had an extended warranty I mistakenly assumed it would be fixed under the extended warranty. My warranty specifically identifies seat motors as being covered, except I just got back from my Nissan dealer and Nissan says the seat motor that failed is not part of the warranty. The dealer tried to get Nissan to cover the motor but Nissan refused to budge, even under customer "good will". I am now awaiting a call back from Nissan Customer Service after I filed a complaint about this issue. I'll let you know if this is resolved to my satisfaction. For the time being my opinion is that the Nissan extended warranties are useless!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM

I also had the Nissan extended warranty. At this point, I'm thinking it was a waste. Not only haven't I had to use it yet in the last 5 years, but I don't think I trust any Nissan techs to do the work anyway. Every time I take my car in for routine maintenance, it come back in questionable shape. When they did an alignment, my steering wheel came back off centered. They tore a big gash in the back panel of my driver's seat. They've forgotten to put the caps on fluid reservoirs and randomly disconnected wires on systems that they had no reason to be working on. The list goes on. They fix the problems they created, but what a hassle. I've tried every dealer in my immediate area. Some are better than others, but I don't trust any of them. I've stopped going to the dealer because for the time that it takes me to double check their work and fix their mistakes and deal with lying service managers, I might as well do the work myself, know that it's done right, save aggravation, and keep my car in better shape. For the price of a warranty, I could have paid for a lifetime of fluids/filter and still had money left over. I got scared into buying the warranty because of all the problems I had with my previous car (a Honda nonetheless). But as several people have pointed out here, people only complain when things go wrong but never say anything when things are going well, so it sounds like our cars are money pits. The one time someone tried to start a thread on how well his car was running, I think he got flamed and the thread was locked.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM

I looked into a waranty from waranty direct (I believe) and in the fine print they say they will not waranty any problem with transmission synchronizers, so I decided against it given that that was probably the one place that I could see it being of use.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM

My experience with the warranty company is great so far, I'm just like the other guy that has the actual techs make all kinds of minor imperfections all over my car. What kind of grudge do they have against customers? lol
Old 06-20-2007, 04:02 PM

I have had decent experiences from my warranty company Warranty Direct.com

they did cover a blown 02 sensor and some other stuff for about $600 and they covered a remanufactured HU for the bose for about the same, unfortunately, that has to go back as its broken.

I paid around $1000 when I bought my 2002 in 2004 with 19k on the clock