5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A6 2.7T vs Max 2k1 5pd

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 09:33 PM
PhatGuy

I was driving home on the highway today when a 2.7T flew up behind me (I was doing about 140km/hr). So I moved over to the right lane to let him by so he rolls along side and I see him checking out my car...nothing special really..I have a silver AE with Piaa Plats in both clear side markers, head lamps and fogs and blue painted calipers. (no lowering or body kit). So I say to myself "well lets see what I can do?" so I drop it down from 5th to 3rd and WOT to 6400 and keep on hammering it through 4th and got a nice jump on him and got myself a nice path two cars in front of him. Wasn't really a race but more of trying to bait this guy to see what his car could do. On the highway having a fast car is nice but the path is 90% of it. How fast are those 2.7T bad boyz anyways?

Old 06-05-2001, 10:00 PM

Thanks to all-wheel-drive, manual A6 2.7T's 0-60 is about 6 sec flat. And thanks to the same turbo engine with the S4, 1/4 is around mid to low 14s.... they are pretty well built cars.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:40 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by GT_icecream
Thanks to all-wheel-drive, manual A6 2.7T's 0-60 is about 6 sec flat. And thanks to the same turbo engine with the S4, 1/4 is around mid to low 14s.... they are pretty well built cars.
\

I have no idea if he was auto or 5spd. Is the 2.7T faster than the 4.2? I should stop messing around before I get smoked by a lot of these cars I try to bait. I only have a Max 5spd w/intake, rsb, fstb, and short shifter. I gotta get the Y-Pipe put on so I can be reasonable contender with a lot of cars on the roads these days!

Old 06-05-2001, 11:19 PM

he he he, those things are in the same league as GS400s..so don't feel bad if you ever loose to one. with enough bolt ons, you should be able to hang with the auto ones, which should be the majorities on the road anyway, I think...
Old 06-06-2001, 01:47 AM

ok...anyone want to hear a story about how crappy audi's are

last time i was at the racetrack, this rich little kid (probably 16-18) was driving a new a6 2.7T 6spd manual...he had s badging, a k&n filter, and thats it...temp plates...the car looked brand new

his first run was a couple cars in front of my first run...when i get to the end of the track and start to turn around i go to the little hut where i get my timeslip...this kid is pulled over to the side of the road with his a6 and the engine is pouring out white smoke...i smelled one of the strongest burnt clutch smells i have ever smelled in my life (i get some bad ones working w/ porsches all day...90% of people that own boxters can't drive worth $hit)

so about an hour or so later, a tow truck rolls up (btw, this guy was also with another kid that drove a brand new M3)...when the tow truck comes, the kid is frantically wiping off the track numbers and he gets in to the m3 and leaves w/ the tow truck

gotta love audi's

oh, and my friends dad has a tt (why do they call it a tt when it only has 1 turbo?)...so there was a recall awhile back on the tt's that didn't have spoilers to put on a spoiler and a strong rear sway (i'm pretty sure it was rear sway...it was one of the bars) because if you go over 100 mph in a tt and you get any sort of wind, you can be lifted airborne...apparently there were a few cases of this in germany on the autobahn
Old 06-06-2001, 04:53 AM
PhatGuy

Which is faster the 4.2 stock or the 2.7T stock? Damn imagine modding out a 2.7T 6spd? Drop it a bit, exhaust, chip (if avail), intake, body kit, .... like whoa!

Old 06-06-2001, 06:11 AM
JimW

Doesn't mean the car is crappy, it means the driver is-->

Originally posted by MrBurner

last time i was at the racetrack, this rich little kid (probably 16-18) was driving a new a6 2.7T 6spd manual...he had s badging, a k&n filter, and thats it...temp plates...the car looked brand new

his first run was a couple cars in front of my first run...when i get to the end of the track and start to turn around i go to the little hut where i get my timeslip...this kid is pulled over to the side of the road with his a6 and the engine is pouring out white smoke...i smelled one of the strongest burnt clutch smells i have ever smelled in my life (i get some bad ones working w/ porsches all day...90% of people that own boxters can't drive worth $hit)

so about an hour or so later, a tow truck rolls up (btw, this guy was also with another kid that drove a brand new M3)...when the tow truck comes, the kid is frantically wiping off the track numbers and he gets in to the m3 and leaves w/ the tow truck

gotta love audi's

oh, and my friends dad has a tt (why do they call it a tt when it only has 1 turbo?)...so there was a recall awhile back on the tt's that didn't have spoilers to put on a spoiler and a strong rear sway (i'm pretty sure it was rear sway...it was one of the bars) because if you go over 100 mph in a tt and you get any sort of wind, you can be lifted airborne...apparently there were a few cases of this in germany on the autobahn

any High-HP AWD car with a manual transmission can be subject to the same frying clutch the ****** did at the track. Imagine a AWD Maxima with the same 222HP. You'd never be able to spin all 4 wheels, and you'd smoke the clutch fast if you tried to.
BTW, with the Audi Advantage maintenance, you get 1 free brake job (front and rear), and even 1 free clutch replacement, no questions asked. All withing 3 years and 50k of course.

Old 06-06-2001, 06:17 AM

They're geared quite differently. In a 0-60 the 2.7t 6 speed is fastest followed by the 2.7 auto and then the 4.2. (6.0, 6,6, 6.8 sec) according to Audi. The 4.2 has more hp though (300 vs 250)and I'm told that at a rolling start the 4.2 will drive away from either 2.7 at cruising speeds. The 4.2 is more of an autobahn runner than a drag racer. In the fall the S6 with a 340hp 4.2 V8 and lower gearing will arrive and it is expected to be in the high 5s.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:23 AM
JimW

2.7T is faster than the 4.2-->

Originally posted by PhatGuy
\

I have no idea if he was auto or 5spd. Is the 2.7T faster than the 4.2? I should stop messing around before I get smoked by a lot of these cars I try to bait. I only have a Max 5spd w/intake, rsb, fstb, and short shifter. I gotta get the Y-Pipe put on so I can be reasonable contender with a lot of cars on the roads these days!
at least as far as the factory specs are. Factory calls for 6.7 seconds 0-60 for the 4.2, 6.6 seconds 0-60 for the 2.7T automatic, and 6.0 seconds for the 2.7T manual.
See my sig for real world et's. My 14.4 is approx 5.6-5.7 0-60, bone stock. I've now added a couple "enhancements" (no, not a chip either) that should shave another .1 or .15 off my et. Car is a real mover now.
On the highway, the cars are very quick, they don't seem to really accelerate hard until 3rd gear (at least mine doesn't) I also tend to be lazy in my car. I almost never downshift while cruising, unless I want to summon "Ludicrous Speed". In 6th gear, the car can accelerate hard enough to outrun V6 Accords and the type.
All in all, I say never back down from a race, so long as it can be done safely. Competition improves the breed, and you already know what mods you want next to keep up and/or pass some of the more higher-hp metal.
BTW, the stock HP and TQ ratings for the 2.7T are 250HP and 258 lb.ft, they are probably underrated a bit. With my weight of 4180lbs and my trap speeds and et's 265 hp and 275 lb.ft is more like it.

Old 06-06-2001, 07:15 AM

01 Max 5 Speed VS 95 Audi S6 5 Speed

My buddy's father has a 95 S6 chipped with 145,000 miles on it. I raced him the other day on the highway and he beat me pretty good. His car is probably about the same as a a6 2.7 so good job if you got the jump on him, but if he was ready he would have beat you good.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:35 AM

Re: 2.7T is faster than the 4.2-->

Originally posted by JimW
In 6th gear, the car can accelerate hard enough to outrun V6 Accords and the type. All in all, I say never back down from a race, so long as it can be done safely.
oooh, dem's fightin' words. Wanna try it?

Your est. 265HP A6 2.7T in 6th gear on the highway, vs. my 200HP Accord V6 and any gear it has. We line up and go after the third beep. I'm game if you are - I'd like to see what those Audi's can do. My jaw would drop if you could seriously beat me in 6th gear. Everybody that drives one around here seems to be a real pansy.

Hmm...you're in NY, though. Bah!!
Old 06-06-2001, 07:47 AM
JimW

Don't sing it, bring it-->

Originally posted by stevepake
oooh, dem's fightin' words. Wanna try it?

Your est. 265HP A6 2.7T in 6th gear on the highway, vs. my 200HP Accord V6 and any gear it has. We line up and go after the third beep. I'm game if you are - I'd like to see what those Audi's can do. My jaw would drop if you could seriously beat me in 6th gear. Everybody that drives one around here seems to be a real pansy.

Hmm...you're in NY, though. Bah!!
I gotcha Honda in my back pocket, buddy!!
Seriously though, the car gets up very well, even in 6th gear. Lemme 'splain a thing or two. The gearing in the 2.7T is tall, (6 speeds,and gears 4,5,6 are all overdriven) but the engine revs pretty fast at highway speeds. In 6th gear at an indicated 60mph, I'm turning over 2500 rpm. The engine makes peak torque from 1800 to 3800 (or 3600) rpm. That's why downshifting isn't necessary. Nailing the throttle from a 60mph roll-on will still give you firm shove in the back. I can guarantee one thing, if I don't outrun from 60, by the time we hit 75, its all over. Once over 3000rpm, that car will accelerate much faster than you'd think.
Where are you anyway? Hmm, what city can I think of that's got a lot of pansies???

Old 06-06-2001, 08:11 AM

What the HE!!

Now we got Honda and Audi guys battling on our site?? Beat it, back to your caves! hehea
Old 06-06-2001, 08:20 AM

I drive my mom's A6 any time I can. Couple of things 1) the manumatic thing SUCKS! it shifts for you all the time and you can't start out in second gear 2) That car has some *****! The half throttle freeway passes is what brings a smile to my face every time. The auto downshifts one gear and all this power just zings you by the other cars. My favorite thing to do is taunt kids in their riced out civic's. You know when these kids are so impatient and think they're so fast they go ahead and try and pass you? Well, I let em then fly by em and lets just say not one has ever kept up. Oh, you also gotta love the HID's, simply amazing. Back to the original post, if you were in LV and it was a white one with license plate I DOC it was probably me, cause I check out everyones max (but I wouldn't let you win )
Old 06-06-2001, 09:25 AM

Re: What the HE!!

Cut 'em some slack. Jim is old school. He came out to the last DC Maxima annual meet. He traded up from a Maxima. Steve is pretty cool for an Accord guy. He doesn't post flames or cause problems.

Originally posted by DenMax
Now we got Honda and Audi guys battling on our site?? Beat it, back to your caves! hehea
Old 06-06-2001, 10:23 AM

Re: 2.7T is faster than the 4.2-->

The A6 2.7T weighs 4100 lbs?? I would've thought it's just a bit heavier than the S4...

But yea they do pull very strong even 6th gear. I was in my friend's S4 (yea it is lighter), but with all 4 of us avg 170 lbs+ each, at 65 mph and RPM a little below 3000, he punched it in 6th. Wow, very little, but there's still this feeling that u get a push on your shoulder.

Jim, I remember you posted a few pics when you first got the car. Got any new ones now?
Old 06-06-2001, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: 2.7T is faster than the 4.2-->

The A6 2.7T weighs 4100 lbs?? I would've thought it's just a bit heavier than the S4...
Curb weight of the A6's:

A6 2.8 (AT): 3560
A6 2.7T (MT/AT): 3759/3836
A6 4.2 (AT): 4024

Damn, it's amazing that the 2.7T and even the 4.2 are as fast as they are with all of that weight (Quattro, etc.)they're pulling around. Simply amazing (amazing = two, small, quick spooling turbo's in a V6 with 6 gears !)
Old 06-06-2001, 11:10 AM
JimW

Re: I've got a pretty recent pic for you, see the link

But yea they do pull very strong even 6th gear. I was in my friend's S4 (yea it is lighter), but with all 4 of us avg 170 lbs+ each, at 65 mph and RPM a little below 3000, he punched it in 6th. Wow, very little, but there's still this feeling that u get a push on your shoulder.

Jim, I remember you posted a few pics when you first got the car. Got any new ones now?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...384&p=49460480

Old 06-06-2001, 11:12 AM
JimW

that was with me in it-->

I always weigh the car after each run, just to see what I'm dealing with. I weighed close to 230 at the time, so the car weighed about 3950.

Old 06-06-2001, 12:11 PM
PhatGuy

Re: that was with me in it-->

I always weigh the car after each run, just to see what I'm dealing with. I weighed close to 230 at the time, so the car weighed about 3950.
Your only doing 14.5 1/4 best time? We have members here with just an intake and Y-Pipe doing that and better! I thought your car would be a lot faster considering it has TWO turbos? Can't wait to rock all the Auto A6's and run even with the 6spds. The best part is they won't even be expecting me to be as fast...if they even flintch a partial second they will lose. The new 3.5L is going to put a lot of expensive cars to shame. Y-Pipe is going on next week!

Old 06-06-2001, 01:16 PM
JimW

Uhh, not really, my best was a 14.4-->

Your only doing 14.5 1/4 best time? We have members here with just an intake and Y-Pipe doing that and better! I thought your car would be a lot faster considering it has TWO turbos? Can't wait to rock all the Auto A6's and run even with the 6spds. The best part is they won't even be expecting me to be as fast...if they even flintch a partial second they will lose. The new 3.5L is going to put a lot of expensive cars to shame. Y-Pipe is going on next week!

and that was bone stock, with nothing but Amoco gold in the tank (full tank) With mildly aggressive launch, and NO powershifting (launch at 45-4800 with quick slip, shift at 6700)
I have since added a K&N drop in panel filter, and aftermarket Bypass valves (they allow up to 2psi more boost)
Car should have dropped another .1 and change, easily.

Not trying to get into a war with you about the Maxima and it's performance, not at all. Hell, I had one of the quickest automatic Maxima's on this BBS. I just don't see too many stock Max's running close to 14.5's. Stock we're talking here.

Old 06-06-2001, 01:20 PM
JimW

Hey Paul-->

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Cut 'em some slack. Jim is old school. He came out to the last DC Maxima annual meet. He traded up from a Maxima. Steve is pretty cool for an Accord guy. He doesn't post flames or cause problems.

What's up? If all goes well, I'll be going to Maxus this year. I'll need a break just before the wedding. See you there.

Old 06-06-2001, 01:22 PM

Re: Re: I've got a pretty recent pic for you, see the link

Gotta love those huge front disc brakes! I can still see them from the angle you took the picture...

To Phatguy: It'll be interesting to see how the modded 5spd max fare against the auto 2.7T Maybe we'll hear a good story from you next time?
Old 06-06-2001, 03:40 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: I've got a pretty recent pic for you, see the link

Gotta love those huge front disc brakes! I can still see them from the angle you took the picture...

To Phatguy: It'll be interesting to see how the modded 5spd max fare against the auto 2.7T Maybe we'll hear a good story from you next time?
Well a group of friends are getting together with our cars for some show downs:

My Max 2K1 5pd Intake, Y-pipe (on next week), RSB, FSTB, and I'm dropping it with Eibachs (next week I hope), and short shifter.

vs

1997 Porsche Boxter Manual

vs

1999 GTI VR6 with chip and intake

vs

1999 BMW 540i (stock auto or whatever they are..not 6pd)

vs

1997 Expedition with exhaust system (the big v8 engine)
-this thing is wicked off the line

Should be fun and we have a private area to do it. As for the A6 TT 14.4 1/4 (absolute best time) I think that is an awesome time. But for a Twin Turbo Car at that price I think I would want a little bit better times especially with a 6pd.

Jimw:
Are you going to drop it? Chip it? Exhaust? New Tires? Body Kit? Nice Rims? That would then be an impressive car for sure! I don't know much about Audi but I imagine if you chipped and put an exhaust you would get 300HP....that would be fun! Have you had any runs with TL-S or CL-S yet?

Old 06-06-2001, 06:47 PM

you should be close w/ the vr6

i used to drive an expedition...has tons of torque but is slow as $hit...i've beaten boxters before i had any mods done...i know 540 sticks are quick but i don't thinik too highly of the autos...that should be fairly close actually...vr6's gain a lot from chips so watch out for that
Old 06-07-2001, 12:59 AM
PhatGuy

you should be close w/ the vr6

i used to drive an expedition...has tons of torque but is slow as $hit...i've beaten boxters before i had any mods done...i know 540 sticks are quick but i don't thinik too highly of the autos...that should be fairly close actually...vr6's gain a lot from chips so watch out for that
I had a VR6 GTI for a while and that car rocks! It just pulls like crazy! With the Y-Pipe on I think I should be alright. Most people don't realize how fast the GTI VR6 is especially with some mods and nice tires. Their 0-60 lowers dramatically with good tires on the car. My buddy had his at 235km/hr (145mph) with me in the car...and he had just the chip (no top speed or rev cut off) and a drop in K&N. Now that I have my FSTB and RSB I feel way more comfortable going over the 120MPH mark in my Max.

Old 06-07-2001, 02:52 AM

Which is faster the 4.2 stock or the 2.7T stock? Damn imagine modding out a 2.7T 6spd? Drop it a bit, exhaust, chip (if avail), intake, body kit, .... like whoa!
Stock, yes, the 2.7T is faster..

even an auto 2.7T is quicker than the auto 4.2.
Makes ya wonder why anyone would go for the 4.2, eh?
Old 06-07-2001, 06:11 AM
JimW

I don'y particularly understand what you mean-->

Well a group of friends are getting together with our cars for some show downs:

My Max 2K1 5pd Intake, Y-pipe (on next week), RSB, FSTB, and I'm dropping it with Eibachs (next week I hope), and short shifter.

vs

1997 Porsche Boxter Manual

vs

1999 GTI VR6 with chip and intake

vs

1999 BMW 540i (stock auto or whatever they are..not 6pd)

vs

1997 Expedition with exhaust system (the big v8 engine)
-this thing is wicked off the line

Should be fun and we have a private area to do it. As for the A6 TT 14.4 1/4 (absolute best time) I think that is an awesome time. But for a Twin Turbo Car at that price I think I would want a little bit better times especially with a 6pd.

Jimw:
Are you going to drop it? Chip it? Exhaust? New Tires? Body Kit? Nice Rims? That would then be an impressive car for sure! I don't know much about Audi but I imagine if you chipped and put an exhaust you would get 300HP....that would be fun! Have you had any runs with TL-S or CL-S yet?
Twin turboed or not, for under 45k, you can't find anything else that compares with the 2.7T that will beat it, other than the S4. What can you compare it with? The 540, not quite, they're close to 60k. The 330, not hardly. They run about 45k, and still can't outrun a 2.7T, besides that, they are still compact cars. A 528?. Not hardly. Very nice car, but performance is still less than a 2.7 Lexus GS400? I've never lost to one yet, and my et's are quicker than almost any that I've seen, AND they cost over 50k.
The acceleration times are a factor of Power to Weight ratio. AS you see, my car is very heavy, and *only* has 250 "advertised" hp. Which is why it's only moderately quick in the 1/4. As I said before, the top-end charge is truly amazing in this car. From inside the car, it feels very strange, almost like the feeling you get in a jet accelerating for takeoff. A firm shove in the seatback, that doesn't tail off until the governor kicks in (136-138 indicated)

Will do any of the mods you asked? Maybe a chip when the factory warranty expires. Wheels and tires are a definite. An exhaust is nice, but I refuse to spend $1695 for one, I'd have one custom-made for about 1/2 that price. With a chip, exhaust and K&N filter, 2.7t's (and S4's) make about 320 hp and about 370 lb.ft.. 2.7t 6 spds with these mods run in the low 13's (13.3-13.4)
I have a good friend with a Silver CL-S. We've raced many a time. It's gotten to the point that he won't try anymore. I really put a hurting on him, so much so that he seriously doubts that his car makes the power Acura claims (I think it's 260 or something like that). From a standing start, from a roll, wherever. From a standing start, I immediately open up 3-4 cars on him before 60, and it just gets worse from there. Depending upon the rolling start speed, I put 2-4 cars on him. From 40-up, I put about 2.5 cars on him until 60, then I start to jog away. From a 60 roll, he doesn't stand a chance.

Old 06-07-2001, 07:43 AM
PhatGuy

Re: I don'y particularly understand what you mean-->

Twin turboed or not, for under 45k, you can't find anything else that compares with the 2.7T that will beat it, other than the S4. What can you compare it with? The 540, not quite, they're close to 60k. The 330, not hardly. They run about 45k, and still can't outrun a 2.7T, besides that, they are still compact cars. A 528?. Not hardly. Very nice car, but performance is still less than a 2.7 Lexus GS400? I've never lost to one yet, and my et's are quicker than almost any that I've seen, AND they cost over 50k.
The acceleration times are a factor of Power to Weight ratio. AS you see, my car is very heavy, and *only* has 250 "advertised" hp. Which is why it's only moderately quick in the 1/4. As I said before, the top-end charge is truly amazing in this car. From inside the car, it feels very strange, almost like the feeling you get in a jet accelerating for takeoff. A firm shove in the seatback, that doesn't tail off until the governor kicks in (136-138 indicated)

Will do any of the mods you asked? Maybe a chip when the factory warranty expires. Wheels and tires are a definite. An exhaust is nice, but I refuse to spend $1695 for one, I'd have one custom-made for about 1/2 that price. With a chip, exhaust and K&N filter, 2.7t's (and S4's) make about 320 hp and about 370 lb.ft.. 2.7t 6 spds with these mods run in the low 13's (13.3-13.4)
I have a good friend with a Silver CL-S. We've raced many a time. It's gotten to the point that he won't try anymore. I really put a hurting on him, so much so that he seriously doubts that his car makes the power Acura claims (I think it's 260 or something like that). From a standing start, from a roll, wherever. From a standing start, I immediately open up 3-4 cars on him before 60, and it just gets worse from there. Depending upon the rolling start speed, I put 2-4 cars on him. From 40-up, I put about 2.5 cars on him until 60, then I start to jog away. From a 60 roll, he doesn't stand a chance.
I think an STS would beat you on the highway.... lots used for under $45K. Actually if you can try running with an STS..I don't care what anyone says they are extrememly fast and tons of torque. The new M3 is priced at $69K Canadian (which is $46k US) and dealerships here cannot sell above list. Sorry but the M3 is the best bang for the buck by far not the 2.7T...even with 320HP in your car you would not be able to beat a stock M3 (seen a few on the road and they are a beast!). 540 6pd I see used ones for sale once in while would be a good run but I think it would edge you out stock for stock. New Mustang GT and Mustang SVT would beat you. VW 1.8T (beetle/gti/golf/golf 4 door) with some mods would beat you. A $27KUS 5pd Max with about $2k or so in mods would be even with you. A CL-S with headers and exhuast should be even with you too. Stock means jack when you are spending almost $20K more for the car to start especially when you are racing or talking about straight line times. Stock for stock ..who cares? It is about the money you spend for the car you get. Trust me i think your car is awesome! I agree it is a good deal for the price but if you can squeeze a couple of more grand into her that thing would be impressive and bring out the true racing potential of the car and blow me away (max 5pd y-pipe, intake, etc, etc). Your car lowered, tires, rims, chip and exhaust would be amazing for sure! I would love that car! I still think the Max 5spd right now is the best bang for the buck for sure! Look what you get for well under $30KUS? When the 3.5L Altima or Max get some basic mods they are going to rock a lot of cars that are a lot more expensive. For fun it would be cool for you to run with 5th gen 5pd with y-pipe, CAI intake, cat-back, short shifter, rsb, fstb (that would be around $2k in mods a $29KUS car) and just see how it goes. What kind of rims are you thinking of putting on? Your car would look wicked with nice rims!

PS Cars seem a lot more expensive in the USA after currency exhange.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:09 AM
JimW

Well, your ideas are a little different from mine-->

I think an STS would beat you on the highway.... lots used for under $45K. Actually if you can try running with an STS..I don't care what anyone says they are extrememly fast and tons of torque. The new M3 is priced at $69K Canadian (which is $46k US) and dealerships here cannot sell above list. Sorry but the M3 is the best bang for the buck by far not the 2.7T...even with 320HP in your car you would not be able to beat a stock M3 (seen a few on the road and they are a beast!). 540 6pd I see used ones for sale once in while would be a good run but I think it would edge you out stock for stock. New Mustang GT and Mustang SVT would beat you. VW 1.8T (beetle/gti/golf/golf 4 door) with some mods would beat you. A $27KUS 5pd Max with about $2k or so in mods would be even with you. A CL-S with headers and exhuast should be even with you too. Stock means jack when you are spending almost $20K more for the car to start especially when you are racing or talking about straight line times. Stock for stock ..who cares? It is about the money you spend for the car you get. Trust me i think your car is awesome! I agree it is a good deal for the price but if you can squeeze a couple of more grand into her that thing would be impressive and bring out the true racing potential of the car and blow me away (max 5pd y-pipe, intake, etc, etc). Your car lowered, tires, rims, chip and exhaust would be amazing for sure! I would love that car! I still think the Max 5spd right now is the best bang for the buck for sure! Look what you get for well under $30KUS? When the 3.5L Altima or Max get some basic mods they are going to rock a lot of cars that are a lot more expensive. For fun it would be cool for you to run with 5th gen 5pd with y-pipe, CAI intake, cat-back, short shifter, rsb, fstb (that would be around $2k in mods a $29KUS car) and just see how it goes. What kind of rims are you thinking of putting on? Your car would look wicked with nice rims!

PS Cars seem a lot more expensive in the USA after currency exhange.
I've had a couple of run-ins with STS's, and they're not as fast as you'd think they are. Not on the top end either. I'd advise you test drive a 2.7T 6 spd for yourself, it will change your mind completely. My comparisons in the above post are all referring to 4drs. Wouldn't make any sense to compare a luxo-barge like the 2.7T to a Porsche Boxster, would it? This could go on for days. When I said under 45k, I mean new prices, not used. Now, put a chip in my car, and for $550, I'll be running mid 13's, that's even better bang for the buck than a Supercharged Max. I used to think that stock for stock didn't matter, but I've changed my mind now. Sure spending almost 20k more should get you a faster car, and it does. But I can run those 14.4's with complete reliability, utter silence (almost too darn quiet) and without any sacrifices. When I had my Max, I was running pretty quick also, but the car was loud, had a more firm ride, and wasn't as tractable as it was when 100% stock. I didn't mind, because it was for the good of speed, but if I could have the speed, with the stock mild-manners,I would.
Keep in mind, the money for the 2.7T is well-spent (in my opinion) and in it's class, it's a bargain. Check one out, you may not like it at first (because of it's looks) and what not. But the attention to detail, the quality, fit and finish and ergonomics/engineering are worth every penny spent, and from the review I've read are a bit advanced for it's class. BTW, I have run a 2k with those mods. It was Ed2K's car, at E-town. I think his car runs high 14's-low 15's. Traction is a big problem in his case.
Check out the stats on an STS, 300 HP, 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, 1/4 in approx 15.2. Not hardly gonna give me a run for the money. My 4th gen Auto Max ran quicker than that, with a Y pipe and intake.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:24 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Well, your ideas are a little different from mine-->

I've had a couple of run-ins with STS's, and they're not as fast as you'd think they are. Not on the top end either. I'd advise you test drive a 2.7T 6 spd for yourself, it will change your mind completely. My comparisons in the above post are all referring to 4drs. Wouldn't make any sense to compare a luxo-barge like the 2.7T to a Porsche Boxster, would it? This could go on for days. When I said under 45k, I mean new prices, not used. Now, put a chip in my car, and for $550, I'll be running mid 13's, that's even better bang for the buck than a Supercharged Max. I used to think that stock for stock didn't matter, but I've changed my mind now. Sure spending almost 20k more should get you a faster car, and it does. But I can run those 14.4's with complete reliability, utter silence (almost too darn quiet) and without any sacrifices. When I had my Max, I was running pretty quick also, but the car was loud, had a more firm ride, and wasn't as tractable as it was when 100% stock. I didn't mind, because it was for the good of speed, but if I could have the speed, with the stock mild-manners,I would.
Keep in mind, the money for the 2.7T is well-spent (in my opinion) and in it's class, it's a bargain. Check one out, you may not like it at first (because of it's looks) and what not. But the attention to detail, the quality, fit and finish and ergonomics/engineering are worth every penny spent, and from the review I've read are a bit advanced for it's class. BTW, I have run a 2k with those mods. It was Ed2K's car, at E-town. I think his car runs high 14's-low 15's. Traction is a big problem in his case.
Check out the stats on an STS, 300 HP, 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, 1/4 in approx 15.2. Not hardly gonna give me a run for the money. My 4th gen Auto Max ran quicker than that, with a Y pipe and intake.
Your totally right I haven't driven the A6 2.7TT 6pd. I'm going to go over the Audi dealership this afternoon and check them out. Did Ed2k have real tires on his car when he did his runs or just stock? Did you run with him on the highway or on the street (grip seems better on the street for us). I agree your car would beat an STS off the line but I was talking about on the Highway. I've been in a stock STS at 240Km/hr about 150mph. It keeps pulling and pulling. I also agree with the civil factor (noise comfort etc..) you gotta pay for that so that is where the $20K extra comes from. I think I have a new fav sedan in the 2.7T 6pd....but just needs some nice rims and some lighting....they stylying is kinda dry but makes it a sleeper for sure! The fact that it can be modded quite easily makes it even more impressive...gotta get rid of that top speed limiter. Until the 6pd Max comes out I would agree your car is the best bang for the buck (overall including luxury). I love the S4 too but again needs something to spice it up styling wise and apply those mods! I hope they have some on the lot here....will let you know.

PS I just set up an appointment to see the A6 6pd and S4. The S4 fully loaded is $61KCDN/$40KUS. The A6 6spd starts at $58kCDN/$38KUS not sure what options there are yet. I was told 4 year 50K warranty including as many clutches in that time...I asked them 3 times. Regarding chip they said I can go ahead and do it just don't tell them but if something goes wrong related to it then no warranty ... regarding exhaust they said shouldn't be a problem. Your right you got an awesome car for its class...actually any class! With the Quattro drive and easy to mod I think I might be sold! I will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:43 AM

Forgot something else that is awkward about the A6. When you floor the car there is what feels like a rubber stop like our cars have. But, you keep pushing about another .5" and that is when the real power comes on. It is like this in my mom's 2000 Auto A6 2.7T. It is really weird because when you are in the manumatic cruising in 4th gear and you give it that first full throttle it just stays in 4th gear. When you push the throttle past that point it automatically shifts to 2nd and you just fly. Just another weird observance I have with the car.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:48 AM

I want to know where he is finding the new ///M3's for 47k??? Lol, wow, i need some names and numbers!!!
Old 06-07-2001, 08:56 AM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by 98se
I want to know where he is finding the new ///M3's for 47k??? Lol, wow, i need some names and numbers!!!
http://www.bmwottawa.com

They had 24 pre ordered and delivered 6 I think so far. They charged them $69KCDN/ea which is about $47KUS. They don't go way over list like places in the states.

Old 06-07-2001, 09:01 AM

I guess that where i misunderstood, i thought 47k was what he said they were going for in the states!
BTW, i love my audi too!
Old 06-07-2001, 09:24 AM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by 98se
I guess that where i misunderstood, i thought 47k was what he said they were going for in the states!
BTW, i love my audi too!
You guys in the states should buy your cars in Canada if you can. I got my Max 2k1 5pd AE (fully loaded) for $34KCDN (before taxes) that is around $23K US after exchange rate. Some cars seem to be way cheaper here for sure! I know the M3 and Max are cheaper based on our treads. I might start a thread of CDN car prices and someone in the states can match up the prices in US dollars or vice versa. We will use the current exchage rate of 1.5CDN dollars for 1 US dollar (give or take a point or two). Be sure to list options and the list price. Lets try another example using the S4. I can buy one at the dealer today 6pd fully loaded for $61KCDN (List) which would be about $41K US.

Old 06-07-2001, 09:39 AM

a bmw 330i or 330Ci goes for under $40k fully loaded and pulls better performance numbers than the a6 2.4tt (14.4 1/4 mile and 5.8 0-60 (those aren't even the best, just pulled those out of the 1st magazine i could find))...the bimmer isn't $45k and is one of few cars that can compete stock for stock w/ the a6

on the other hand, the a6 is one size up in a car so i give the a6 props to be able to keep up w/ the smaller faster cars yet still hold people comftorbly
Old 06-07-2001, 11:04 AM
PhatGuy

a bmw 330i or 330Ci goes for under $40k fully loaded and pulls better performance numbers than the a6 2.4tt (14.4 1/4 mile and 5.8 0-60 (those aren't even the best, just pulled those out of the 1st magazine i could find))...the bimmer isn't $45k and is one of few cars that can compete stock for stock w/ the a6

on the other hand, the a6 is one size up in a car so i give the a6 props to be able to keep up w/ the smaller faster cars yet still hold people comftorbly
The styling of a 330 is way better too. I saw a 330 four door at the same BMW dealership I listed above as well. I wonder how they perform..the styling of the 4 door wasn't so great though? The A6 2.7TT is a beast if you throw on some basic mods...has more potential than the 330 and is Quattro (awesome and fun in the winter). The A6 2.7TT start at $60KCDN - $40KUS here in Canada

Old 06-07-2001, 12:29 PM

blah blah blah

All this non-sense about Audis. Majority of them are pretty butt-ugly to me. I was following an A6 2.7 quattro today. I was hoping he was game but, alas, it was an older fellow. I have faith in my 14.90 stock max against a 14.50 stock A6...since majority of that 14.50 is from the launch. At speeds, the AWD is working against the car more then for it. I think a 5spd Maxima will keep up if not pass a stock A6 on the freeway.

Blah.
Old 06-07-2001, 12:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Didn't that Audi run a 13.5@107+mph 1/4-mile on that run? I think he dumped the clutch WAY to high and screwed it up. If my Max had AWD/bi-turbos, I too would have burned the clutch that night. My clutch hasn't been the same since that night either. It was a nice car, but for close to $50K, I'd buy a new M3/540i or C5.

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T vs Max 2k1 5pd