5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm psyched! Finally got the opportunity to do some work under the hood!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm psyched! Finally got the opportunity to do some work under the hood!

I have been into cars for years. I love automobiles. I read about cars at least 2 or 3 hours a day either surfing the web or reading in magazines but I have never had a chance to crack the hood because my car is a daily driver and I have always been affraid to screw it up. So my dad always knew I loved cars but he used to run a large company and he was always in the office. Now that the company kinda went down the tubes he decided to partially retire. Hes almost 60 and he has more time now to spend with me. He also has a newfound interest in doing his own work on his car to save some money and teach me some things. So his escalades front rotors constantly warp and so he needed new rotors and pads. So thats the job we tackled tonight. Now remind you I have never even changed oil before but tonight was great we talked to the guy at autozone before buying some anti seize. In 10 minutes he was able to tell us everything we needed to know. We took off the drivers side wheel changed the pads and rotors and put the caliper back on the rotor and bolted everything back on. It was EASY. now I know this is an easy job for you guys but I was surprised how easy it was for ME, a guy who has never even changed oil. We were going to go onto the other side but the tool broke trying to get the lugnuts off the other wheel so we need to wait till tomorrow when auto zone opens up again. When we spun the drivers side wheel though after putting the new rotors and pads in there was a very slight scraping noise. My dad seemed to be under the impression that this is normal and it takes about 100miles to go away. Is this normal?

Anyway this is a worthless post to you guys but I am pumped I have always had a deep love for cars but I never felt like a true enthusiast because I never had experience under the hood, tonight to a very small degree gave me some pride. I cant wait to get my car back so I can put the RSB and FSTB on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:23 PM

congratulations on working on your first car. i think brakes were my first job also. once you learn how to do things yourself you will find this site alot more helpful becuase that is a whole lot of do it yourself projects
Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 PM

hmm okkk, congrats i guess. make sure u read the stickies and don't do anything stupid...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 PM

well there are some links on here to instructions on changing the rotors and pads on a 4th gen and I refferenced those instruction guides before getting into this, that helped quite a bit actually, you'de be surprised how similar escalade front rotors are to 4th gen front rotors only a lot bigger
Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 PM

Congratulations......Never buy tools from autozone, or stanley (chinese) BTW....Go buy yourself a set of craftsman...They are pretty cheap when compared to the big 3 and good for the do it yourselfer.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Drug Money

Husky > Craftsman
Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 AM

Yea your right..Quality is about the same quality and at 1/2 the price..I just don't consider any thing you have to mail off for a replacement to be a true "lifetime warranty"... To me it's like paying $20 for an item and receiving a $5 rebate. In all honesty I throw away that $5 rebate because it's really not worth my time..Also you have to call an 800 #, wait on hold, etc...
Husky is good, but I rarely go to Home Depot, and I'm not real big on Stanleys unethical business practices at all... That's why I buy Matco, not Mac...Because Mac=Husky=stanley and buying stanley to me is like buying a Korean Automobile...
I'll stick with Donahar or S&K tools...(Expect for the wearable and electronic **it)
Old 01-06-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sciff5
you'de be surprised how similar escalade front rotors are to 4th gen front rotors only a lot bigger
so is about any other rotor.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dennisuello
so is about any other rotor.
I actually meant the bolts that you have to loosen to take the caliper off. They are in the same location and even look the exact same, but the escalade actually uses a star bit I think its called, which we had to rent at autozone
Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 AM

The brakes arn't under the hood
Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Drug Money

I actually meant the bolts that you have to loosen to take the caliper off. They are in the same location and even look the exact same, but the escalade actually uses a star bit I think its called, which we had to rent at autozone
Star bit? You mean an American socket as opposed to metric?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
Star bit? You mean an American socket as opposed to metric?
No I meen a star bit..

Heres an example... Jesus just because I'm new doesnt meen I'm an idiot

http://www.happcontrols.com/tools/49071000.htm
Old 01-06-2006, 12:48 PM

Man guys, ease up on the guy a bit. You guys all started at the same spot as he is. At least he has a good attitude towards it.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:35 PM

Is this the same dad that didn't how to check the oil on the Infiniti?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Dont underestimate the Infiniti. I spent lika an hour trying to find the auto transmission dip stick on my friends G35 Sedan only to find out that it is not there nor is there any mention of its location in the owners manual . I had to look it up on line in the G35 forums to find out that it is hidden under a bolt near the winshield dead center of the car The actual dipstick is attached to the bolt that you have to remove with a socket. Ridiculous
Old 01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevon1
Dont underestimate the Infiniti. I spent lika an hour trying to find the auto transmission dip stick on my friends G35 Sedan only to find out that it is not there nor is there any mention of its location in the owners manual . I had to look it up on line in the G35 forums to find out that it is hidden under a bolt near the winshield dead center of the car The actual dipstick is attached to the bolt that you have to remove with a socket. Ridiculous
GO Nissan Engineering!!! Wooo-hooo!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Man guys, ease up on the guy a bit. You guys all started at the same spot as he is. At least he has a good attitude towards it.
Actually, my first car experience was changing my oil. Two was changing my brake pads. Three was rebuilding my engine due to number one. Needless to say, dad wasn't happy....
Old 01-06-2006, 05:54 PM

toolset

i would recommend buying the toolset from walmart. Walmart have the same lifetime warranty as autostores on toolsets for half the price. Good luck. By the way i am new to the site and my name is vinny.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevon1
Ummm, we are actually talking about the I35 which is essentially the same thing as the Maxima. I'm not sure about the G35, but I can believe it.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1

Haha yeah yeah hes an idiot, but its his brakes so as long as he doesnt care about the scraping noise why the hell do I care. I actually went out into the garage and spun the other tire with the rotors that hadent been changed and it made the same noise. We changed the other side tonight and took it out for a test drive the car went from a pulsating machine to silky smooth and straight. Also I can attest that the G35 tranny dipstick is hard to find. If you look staight into the engine bay you wont see it. It is straight in and behind the engine near the firewall.

But yeah you wonder why it took me untill 21 to get under the hood. It cause I have a father whos and automotive idiot. I have a pretty good job but if I didnt have any opportunities I would go try to get a job at a automotive shop to learn some crap.

But after how easy this job was I am reconsidering getting my springs and struts done by a shop. I think if I have an experienced guy there I should deff do the struts and springs myself, of course thats after I get the RSB FSTB LTB and SFCs on. I also think I could do the intake exhaust and headers myself. If I convert to 6th gen brakes I think I could do that myself as well. Anything else though and the car is goin to the shop... ANything under the car I do better with than interior parts, everytime I play with an interior I break at least one little plastic piece if not many.

To be honest I feel great.. I cant wait to start installing things on my car.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 PM
retired moderator

It's always a great feeling to learn how to work on your own car - I know I've taught several of my non-car-guy buddies how to do things and they always enjoy learning about it. Most of our knowledge comes from trial and error - can't count how many things I've messed up, broken, or ghetto-rigged in the process of fixing/modding/restoring cars over the years.

btw - tools:
I don't have any true loyalty...will buy the tool I want where it is most convenient usually....that said, my car kit is all craftsman - it is typically the best quality and the best fit tolerances (for ratchets and wrenches)...also the lifetime warranty is bulletproof:

2 examples:

1. I bought a 3/8 drive torque wrench (craftsman) last year. At one point, I couldn't find my breaker bar, so I did a major no-no and used the torque wrench to break a bolt loose. In the process, I sheared off the nub on the torque wrench (this is why there are breaker bars).

took it to sears, and they didn't have a 3/8 torque wrench in stock...so they took mine back, and offered to give me a 1/2" drive instead (which cost about $25 more)....of course, I took it!

2. Several years ago I found an OOOLLLLDDDD, rusty screwdriver buried in my backyard while doing some yardwork. I mean, it was super-rusted, probbaly from the 80's or 70s..it was a craftsman. Just to see what they'd say, I took it with me the next time I went to sears. I was like "so, does your lifetime warranty cover rusted tools?" and they said yes. I pulled it out and was like "how about this one "....they were like ---sure, go get a new one, as close as you can find to the same size/handle and we'll exchange it.

Sears > all others.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
It's always a great feeling to learn how to work on your own car - I know I've taught several of my non-car-guy buddies how to do things and they always enjoy learning about it. Most of our knowledge comes from trial and error - can't count how many things I've messed up, broken, or ghetto-rigged in the process of fixing/modding/restoring cars over the years.

btw - tools:
I don't have any true loyalty...will buy the tool I want where it is most convenient usually....that said, my car kit is all craftsman - it is typically the best quality and the best fit tolerances (for ratchets and wrenches)...also the lifetime warranty is bulletproof:

2 examples:

1. I bought a 3/8 drive torque wrench (craftsman) last year. At one point, I couldn't find my breaker bar, so I did a major no-no and used the torque wrench to break a bolt loose. In the process, I sheared off the nub on the torque wrench (this is why there are breaker bars).

took it to sears, and they didn't have a 3/8 torque wrench in stock...so they took mine back, and offered to give me a 1/2" drive instead (which cost about $25 more)....of course, I took it!

2. Several years ago I found an OOOLLLLDDDD, rusty screwdriver buried in my backyard while doing some yardwork. I mean, it was super-rusted, probbaly from the 80's or 70s..it was a craftsman. Just to see what they'd say, I took it with me the next time I went to sears. I was like "so, does your lifetime warranty cover rusted tools?" and they said yes. I pulled it out and was like "how about this one "....they were like ---sure, go get a new one, as close as you can find to the same size/handle and we'll exchange it.

Sears > all others.
Hahaha yeah they are great. I was watching a show that documented the building of a custom chopper by a shop that does custom choopers (not Orange County Choopers but a shop that does the same thing) And the guy had to bend a wrench into the shape of a Z with 2 90 degree bends in it to tighen a bolt in a hard to reach location. So he took the blow torch to it heated it up and put 2 perfect 90 degree bends in it and his boss came out and got pissed and hes like dont worry I can return it . So after they were done with the wrench the guy brought it back and goes "it bent that way" and they were like "just go get a new one". LoL now thats a great warranty.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Best "no questions asked" return policy in the business...No question about that....I know aguy who bent a snap-on breaker bar.. Wanted to exchange it and the snap-on guy looked at it and gave it back to him. Said it had "marred" spots on it in the middle where he had OBVIOUSLY put a long pipe wrench on it to break something loose. Improper usage=no exchange.This guy had a $15,000 custom built box with over $100,000 worth of snap-on tools...On top of that if ratchets are marred and broken you actually have to BUY the rebuild kits from Matco Mac and snap-on. Craftsman is NO questions asked...No they are not better tools than the big 3, but their return policy is hands down the best there is.
I'll say it again. IMO don't buy stanley crap. (Wal-mart)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Drug Money

And the guy had to bend a wrench into the shape of a Z with 2 90 degree bends in it to tighen a bolt in a hard to reach location.

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Craftsman is NO questions asked...No they are not better tools than the big 3, but their return policy is hands down the best there is.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:11 AM

btw - tools:

2 examples:

Sears > all others.
Does the same warranty go with Craftsman air tools?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
Husky > Craftsman
matco/snap-on > husky
lol cost? also greater. haha
but nothing like walking into sears and exchanging hand tools though. dont gotta wait for the snap-on/matco truck guy to arrive.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spin20
Does the same warranty go with Craftsman air tools?
Negative. Air tools fail. Anything that was rotating or electronic parts fail. You usually get a 1 or 2 year warranty and can buy a longer warranty if you wish.(Ratcheting wrenches, etc have the life time warranty.) Don't buy craftsman air tools IMO. Get online or go locally and get industrial quality air tools. ( buy mine from the matco guy.) If your a do it yourselfer and want cheaper air tools, buy them from harbor freight. If/When they break just throw it away and get a new one.
My .02 cents. Others opinions will differ.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:57 PM

Sears rule on their hand tool, don't know much about air tool, just getting start in it, bought my compressor $99 with 5.6scfm @ 90psi from harborfreight and a used 1/2" impact wrench from ebay.
congratulate sciff5, you will getting more like to diy from time to time if u love automobile, this is me starting from small job and now want to do 5spd swap for my bother prelude, is fun and achievement.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:22 PM

Just to let you know, Sears had rebuilt ratchets and other various tools that they now give you when you return your broken tool. So walk into sears w/your broken tool and they'll first look in their rebuilt bin. If they don't have a replacement in the bin, you're in luck, they;ll give you a new one.

On the flip side I managed to get a battery charger that went bad replaced twice within four years. Best of all, the second around they had the new digital model that I was able to get.