5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:43 AM

lower then Stech? I like stiff but i like low also is it gona be as low or lower then Stech?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Sprint will give 1.8" drop all around:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSprings

Keep in mind though that same drop for front and back does not mean that your drop will look even.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I don't think they are hiding anything. If other manufactures wanted to find out the specs of H&Rs they can easily do that by simply testing them. They can't hide anything from pros, they can only prevent us (consumers) from knowing it. It's probably just their stupid marketing policy.
Yeah I see what you're talking about, but anyways it's so weird about front H&Rs compare to Eibachs and probably other springs in height.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 AM

Koni's on 2000 max

I had Koni's that were supposedly designed for my car on for about 2 years and I have had nothing but problems with them. The installation was a nightmare because the fronts were not struts they were shock inserts that required customizing the stock units. After everything was installed the bolts that held the inserts in the struts fell out multiple times, finally I used loctite and an air wrench until the bolts stopped turning. There was lots of noise and just recently the front left shock blew out its compression under heavy braking(100+MPH full brake force). I finally replaced my whole set with Illumina non-adjustables and am very happy with the setup. H&R Springs. I don't know what the Konis that Custommaxima sells are but I would make sure they are complete units and not inserts like I got. I ordered them from tirerack wholesale and got a "deal"
Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by booboo13
I had Koni's that were supposedly designed for my car on for about 2 years and I have had nothing but problems with them. The installation was a nightmare because the fronts were not struts they were shock inserts that required customizing the stock units. After everything was installed the bolts that held the inserts in the struts fell out multiple times, finally I used loctite and an air wrench until the bolts stopped turning. There was lots of noise and just recently the front left shock blew out its compression under heavy braking(100+MPH full brake force). I finally replaced my whole set with Illumina non-adjustables and am very happy with the setup. H&R Springs. I don't know what the Konis that Custommaxima sells are but I would make sure they are complete units and not inserts like I got. I ordered them from tirerack wholesale and got a "deal"
That's interesting, what springs did you use with Konis?
BTW: you said you got non-adjustable illuminas? As far as I know illuminas are adjustable.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Z

I'm still extremely pleased with my Maxspeed + OEM Tokicos in the front and Blues in the rear. The ride is just downright perfect.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:22 PM

Got a question for anybody who can please help!

My front suspesion assembly seems to be very "loose" feeling and wobbly over a series of little bumps. It's almost as though the springs don't feel "compressed" enough, making the fronts spring/strut very unstable. I bought the car with GR-2's already in. It has been doing it even with stock springs. I don't know what this could be, everything is tq'ed to spec and properly installed. When the car is jacked, I can twist the springs with EASE, flexing it left and right.

Am I missing a spacer? Upper strut mount is bad? Top hat got switched?(right to left, left to right). It's not wheel bearings either.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
Got a question for anybody who can please help!

My front suspesion assembly seems to be very "loose" feeling and wobbly over a series of little bumps. It's almost as though the springs don't feel "compressed" enough, making the fronts spring/strut very unstable. I bought the car with GR-2's already in. It has been doing it even with stock springs. I don't know what this could be, everything is tq'ed to spec and properly installed. When the car is jacked, I can twist the springs with EASE, flexing it left and right.

Am I missing a spacer? Upper strut mount is bad? Top hat got switched?(right to left, left to right). It's not wheel bearings either.
Most likely your struts are blown. Try looking for threads where people had similar problems. If you can't find any, just start the whole new thread. No offence but this isn't really the right thread to discuss it.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Springs/shocks

hi i'm new to the board ..if i wanted to eliminate body roll...would lowering it about 2" help that..also ...would i have to replace my stock struts if i got lowering springs?
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_GRL25
hi i'm new to the board ..if i wanted to eliminate body roll...would lowering it about 2" help that..also ...would i have to replace my stock struts if i got lowering springs?
I think people may have already answered your question. In order to remove body roll I suggest:

1. RSB = $120-250
2. Springs/Struts = $300-1000+
3. FSTB = 30-$100+
4. LTB/SFC (more technical stuff that is more rare) = ?

Lowering your car 2" is not necessarily going to improve handling. In fact, some of the lowest springs offer rates that don't match well with aftermarket shocks. Go for a mild to medium drop (good ones are Progress, Maxspeed, H&R, H-techs, etc.) Those coupled with a RSB should eliminate body roll significantly.

GL
Old 02-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Chassis Freak

Do not get an RSB unless you like snap oversteer. I can't believe after all the threads about it people still want RSBs.

Yes girl, you need good struts if you're lowering your car; the stock struts will blow in a matter of months if you pair them with lowering springs.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:42 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by VQuick
Do not get an RSB unless you like snap oversteer. I can't believe after all the threads about it people still want RSBs.

Yes girl, you need good struts if you're lowering your car; the stock struts will blow in a matter of months if you pair them with lowering springs.
What? I guess it depends on what sort of tires you have. I had crappy Coopers on and now I have Proxes 4 and I haven't had any issues with oversteer. Coupled with a FSTB my car is relatively neutral.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by VQuick

as I said in the other thread, with the proper setup, it should be fine. Even professional tuners recommend them for FWD applications.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 AM

sorry to come up with a question, i know you guys hate that (prolly not even the right thread but i'm in a hurry).....so i apologize in advance.

I'm getting a suspension setup....prolly gonna order tonight. Can i pair up Progress springs with tokico blues? or illuminas would be better? i mean i'm kinda tight on money so if i could go with the blues, that would be nice. Thank you again, and sorry if you guys get pissed off......
Old 02-15-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Icondapython
sorry to come up with a question, i know you guys hate that (prolly not even the right thread but i'm in a hurry).....so i apologize in advance.

I'm getting a suspension setup....prolly gonna order tonight. Can i pair up Progress springs with tokico blues? or illuminas would be better? i mean i'm kinda tight on money so if i could go with the blues, that would be nice. Thank you again, and sorry if you guys get pissed off......
Nobody should get pissed off, it's a good question in the right thread.

Blues will fit but you will not be able to properly match the shock domping force with the spring rate (since Blues are not adjustable,) which might result in poor handling.

If handling is one of your priorities get illuminas. IMO
Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

as I said in the other thread, with the proper setup, it should be fine. Even professional tuners recommend them for FWD applications.
I have to say that I don't think the set-up matters as much as the ability and preference of the driver. I have had the RSB on my already lowered car and have no "snap" oversteer, regardless, I'm aware of the oversteer and know how to drive with it. Once people get used to it, its fine, IMO.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I have to say that I don't think the set-up matters as much as the ability and preference of the driver. I have had the RSB on my already lowered car and have no "snap" oversteer, regardless, I'm aware of the oversteer and know how to drive with it. Once people get used to it, its fine, IMO.
As far as I understand, oversteer due to RSB depends on two things. First, is the spring rate, the stiffer you springs the less difference your RSB makes. Second is you car's behavior without RSB (understeer/oversteer.)

BTW, check out the thread where conversation has originally started (post # 189 and down): http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....74#post4726174
Old 02-15-2006, 04:57 PM

DrKlop, thanks man...really appriciate your feedback. so i guess i'll go with illuminas, cuz i want my max to handle real good so i can keep up with my boy's Sti (he cant drive stick that well, and he gets me on the turns.) anyways. thanks alot and if i get them with progress do you know what setting i should keep the illuminas? and if i want to PM you after i get my suspension you think you could help me out. thanks alot man, and sorry for the big post guys. I love maxima.org
Old 02-15-2006, 05:58 PM

i dont know anything about cars..but i was thinking of dropping my car is 2.2fr and 1.6 toooo low? or is it ok because its a big car? any do they not make camber kit for the rear? i only see front ones
Old 02-15-2006, 06:31 PM

DrKlop, thanks man...really appriciate your feedback. so i guess i'll go with illuminas, cuz i want my max to handle real good so i can keep up with my boy's Sti (he cant drive stick that well, and he gets me on the turns.) anyways. thanks alot and if i get them with progress do you know what setting i should keep the illuminas? and if i want to PM you after i get my suspension you think you could help me out. thanks alot man, and sorry for the big post guys. I love maxima.org
No problem! I’m not sure what’s the best setting for Progress though. Try different settings, play around with them and you’ll figure it out on your own. The general idea is to try making your suspension move as freely as possible while still controlling oscillations of the springs. Obviously, the best and the only way that will guarantee that you have the best possible setting is to test your car on a skid pad and run some timed slalom, but it’s not possible for most of us. So, just find the softest setting at which your car will not feel floaty. Feel free to PM me with any questions, though I will not be able to answer any installation related questions since I’m still on stock springs/shocks ($$$ ) and I have never done any suspension work.

Also, do as much research as possible before selecting your springs, it is very easy to choose something that will not be the best for your needs. I’m not saying that it’s true or false, but Progress are considered to be too low for optimal handling by many people.

Originally Posted by Car_no0b
i dont know anything about cars..but i was thinking of dropping my car is 2.2fr and 1.6 toooo low? or is it ok because its a big car? any do they not make camber kit for the rear? i only see front ones
Yes, definitely too low, don’t go any lower than Progress with standard aftermarket springs. If you are talking about coilovers, the lowest you can go is 2 inches.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:51 PM

yeah, i have really researched on this suspension stuff. I was really gonna get s-techs but then i realised that they were gonna be wayy too low because of the city i live in Philly, omg the roads are horrible, i mean if it was OC, Ca then it would be a different story but anyways. I think progress would be best for me, cuz i am looking for drop. Like i want 50% drop and 50% ability, if you know what i'm saying. and i heard you can use progress springs on your stock struts? is that true, i read it on housers site. (i think i spelled that wrong)...
Old 02-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Man, if you plan on doing suspension. I would recommend replacing spring and struts at the same time. Believe me you won't want to pull that crap a part and replace struts a couple months later. I did my suspension on my old 3rd gen over a year and a half ago and it makes me not want to look at the suspension on my new Max. But hey it was my first time, so maybe it might be a little easier this time.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:14 PM

As far as I understand, oversteer due to RSB depends on two things. First, is the spring rate, the stiffer you springs the less difference your RSB makes. Second is you car's behavior without RSB (understeer/oversteer.)

BTW, check out the thread where conversation has originally started (post # 189 and down): http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....74#post4726174
I understand what you're saying, but my point isn't about oversteer or putting together the right neutral steering set-up, my point is simply regardless of how the car is set-up (and regardless of whether a person knows how to set it up), if driver awareness and ability are of a decent level, oversteer and even "snap" oversteer will not be a problem.

My favorite post of the thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=198
Old 02-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just put on Tokico Iluminas and H&R Sports on my 2002 GLE. I decided to weigh everything going on and coming off the car. So here's the weight info (haven't seen it posted yet):

2002 Maxima GLE
Stock rear shock weight: 3.1 lbs
Stock rear spring weight: 4.2 lbs
Stock front shock weight: 8.8 lbs
Stock front spring weight: 6.0 lbs

Also, stock rim (7-spoke) weight (17x7): 23.8 lbs
Toyo Proxes TPT weight: 24.2

Tokico Illumina (rear) weight: 3.4 lbs
H&R Sport (rear) weight: 5.6 lbs
Tokico Illumina (front) weight: 8.8 lbs
H&R Sport (front) weight: 6.8 lbs

I weighed each piece 3 times in different positions on a digital scale.

By the way, this setup rocks...torque steer = gone! Have a FSTB and RSB as well but could still feel the torque steer. Normal street ride seems like stock but with no body roll and much less squat when doing a hard launch.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM

and i heard you can use progress springs on your stock struts? is that true, i read it on housers site.
Just because you can do it doesn't mean that you should do it.

Based on personal experience with Progress springs, get Illuminas with em and don't use your stock struts. I had HPs with em and it was a little too bouncy for my liking, not harsh, but bouncy. My Illuminas are set to 2 front 3 rear now and I like the ride a lot.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by pedxing
Just put on Tokico Iluminas and H&R Sports on my 2002 GLE. I decided to weigh everything going on and coming off the car. So here's the weight info (haven't seen it posted yet):
Thanks for the hard data...always welcomed. It's interesting that the shorter H&Rs weigh more. I guess the coils are tighter so there's just as much spring if not more.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by pedxing

2002 Maxima GLE
Stock rear shock weight: 3.1 lbs
Stock rear spring weight: 4.2 lbs
Stock front shock weight: 8.8 lbs
Stock front spring weight: 6.0 lbs

Also, stock rim (5-spoke) weight (17x7): 23.8 lbs
Toyo Proxes TPT weight: 24.2

Tokico Illumina (rear) weight: 3.4 lbs
H&R Sport (rear) weight: 5.6 lbs
Tokico Illumina (front) weight: 8.8 lbs
H&R Sport (front) weight: 6.8 lbs

I weighed each piece 3 times in different positions on a digital scale.

By the way, this setup rocks...torque steer = gone! Have a FSTB and RSB as well but could still feel the torque steer. Normal street ride seems like stock but with no body roll and much less squat when doing a hard launch.
good info! Adding a link to your post from the first page of the thread.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 PM

good info! Adding a link to your post from the first page of the thread.
Best first post by anyone ever....
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I appreciate it, thanks. I've been using the forums a ton recently for research on everything so I had to give back.

Yes, the H&Rs are tighter and slightly thicker, I was surprised also.

Oh, I did an edit, my stock rim is a 7-spoke not 5. (I don't think 5 is even an option).
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM

is intrax springs any good? if i was to choose from intras, progress, and h techs what would you guys say is the best. bounciness, smooth ride etc.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:39 AM

This is a good thread for a noobert like me!

Can someone shed some light on the primary advantages/disadvanges for struts/springs vs coilovers?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 PM

cost + less problematic seem to be advatages (not the only ones im sure) but the spring/struts dont have the adjustability of a coil0ver set up. you can go from low to high and everything in between with coilovers but springs have one setting and one setting only.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stalldaworld
cost + less problematic seem to be advatages (not the only ones im sure) but the spring/struts dont have the adjustability of a coil0ver set up. you can go from low to high and everything in between with coilovers but springs have one setting and one setting only.
Thats what I think too, just wondered if anyone else came to the same conclusion.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Thats what I think too, just wondered if anyone else came to the same conclusion.
Well, to put it my way, coilover will give you much better handling because:
1 Springs and shocks are properly matched to work together
2 You can lower your center of gravity without sacrificing suspension travel
3 Less body roll
4 Linear springs are more predictable at the limit
5 Adjustibility

The drawbacks are:
1 reliability problems even with the best systems
2 harsh ride on the street
Old 03-01-2006, 06:00 AM

3 Less body roll
5 Adjustibility

The drawbacks are:
Reliability in my experience has been a huge problem with coil overs. They're not as popular on the domestic side as they are on the import side but some guys do run them. As you said even the best systems seem to have a stray strut go bad within 18 months.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 AM

3 Less body roll
5 Adjustibility

The drawbacks are:
That's sux. I didn't know coilovers had problem with the reliability.
And ohhh yeah kid 619, I don't know why it says 99-02 sence 02-03 are the same thing. So they should've include 03 as well. I don't know why they didn't.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Chassis Freak

That's a questionable seller because 99 is 4th gen and 00-03 is 5th gen, and it doesn't fit both...might want to ask for clarification.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure this belongs here but ...

i see a lot of comments on struts and springs but i cannot seem to find any where people are using TIEN's EDFC.

Looking for comments or experiance with anyone using it on a Gen 5 as i have one and am contemplating if i should use it with an Illumina+H&R setup, providing it will work with non-TIEN adjustables(have not looked into it yet and i just got the max).
Old 03-11-2006, 12:35 PM

Nismo springs

Does anyone have any information on nismo springs..I know they make it for the altima so I was wondering if it would work on maxima's specifically 5.5 generation..

I am on H&R springs with Illuminas I would really want to try other springs to provide a ride of comfort and handling for me

thinking eith H-Tech's( japanese R&D rather than German R&D cuz this is a japanese car?!?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 AM

Sorry if this question is off-topic DrKlop (pls edit if in the wrong thread), but I have not seen any info in any suspension thread explaining why the Maxspeeds on Innerbean's website show different drop info than what is advertised. What I mean is, why does the drop list 1.4F (~1 3/8") and 1.3R (~1 1/4"), but the pic with the maxspeeds installed show a difference from the stock 28 1/16"F being 1 5/16" drop (which is close enough to spec) but the difference from the stock 27 1/4"R was only a 1/4" difference, which is a full ~1" off of spec?

I'm looking to replace the suspension this summer, and I've been pretty much sold on the Maxspeed/Illumina combo as it seems to best fit my personal preferences, but I do not want to be surprised (much heh) by any differences. If the Maxspeeds do indeed follow the actual drop numbers shown in the pic as opposed to the listed drop specs, then that would actually be great as the ride height appears to be more level than stock, the rear maintains close to stock height (for passenger comfort), while the front loses the 4x4 look, and all around I get a better handling ride.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Suspension Thread