5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

IPOD Hookups

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:54 PM

IPOD Hookups

I'm sure you've all discussed this but I've been searching to no avail.

Those of you with OEM Bose radio's. What's your IPOD Setup? I just picked up the new 60gig and I have no idea where to mount it or if I want to mount it. Can I get a hard wired connection or should I use Itrip? Anyway, your comments or suggestions would be appreciated - or if you have a link to a previous thread.

Thanks,

Ollie
Old 01-12-2006, 02:00 PM

i'm on a budget....cassette adapter...
Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
HOOSIER Daddy?

whether you're on a budget or not... tape adapter is definitely the best way to go... it's cheap and it sounds the best unless you want to spend a fortune for a new HU or some *ish like that.

Check out my post... I use my tape adapter for my SIRIUS satellite radio and can sub it out w/ my IPOD if I want.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=449393
Old 01-12-2006, 05:48 PM

id like to know what are the ways to hook up an ipod w/o using the tape deck...(dont even have an ipod yet, but curious)
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 PM

I searched and searched for a direct hookup for my MyFi/Ipod, and nobody makes one for the Bose w/ in-dash changer. So your options are, in order of sound quality:
1. Tape adaptor - consider it, it works well. I took off the faceplate of my headunit and ran the wire underneath for a clean install. I rarely use my Ipod, so it is hooked up to the MyFi cradle 99% of the time. Make sure you leave enough slack so you can eject it.
2. Direct FM modulator - this will plug into your headunit at the antenna hookup and block out any FM signal when powered on. Sounds pretty good, but I've heard it can screw up AM reception if that is a problem for you.
3. Regular FM modulator (like iTrip, although I would save $20-$50 and just get a nice Belkin unit that doesn't say "i" on it) - Works pretty well, but the worst of the three. I use one with the DVD player in my Mountaineer, and it gets the job done. But on a road trip I have to change the frequency constantly as radio stations interfere with the reception, which is annoying.

I've tried the cassette adaptor back-to-back with the regular FM mod (same song, same car) and there is a noticeable difference in frequency response and clarity. The main drawback to the cassette adaptor is the noise of the mechanism, but it is usually drowned out by the stereo.

*edit* I wrote all that and then noticed you have an '01. I'm pretty sure Blitzsafe makes an adaptor that will hook up to your changer input. I think they are $80-90, and offer the best sound quality.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 PM

does anyone else notice when using the cassette adapter that the Left speakers totally cutout? I remeber reading that problem with the Bose HU some weaird bent wire or something, but thats BS man, anyways I was wondering if anyone here has experienced that as well
Old 01-13-2006, 05:29 AM

No problems here, 6000 miles of constant use.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:33 AM
I Know Kwaliti

From the previous posts, left speaker cut-out is a typical problem with Bose HU's...

I use an Aiwa tape adapter with Dolbi turned on the HU and I like it a lot. I tried various radio frequency modulators including wired ones through the main antenna and sound from MP3 player was slightly cleaner than cassete but the radio quality suffered a LOT.

For my cassete installation, I passed the input wire through the back of HU behind the dash and the jack now comes out on the side of the little tray below HU/temp controls. I simply place the MP3 player into the tray (it fits perfectly) and plug it in so it is invisible and clean set up... It is also close to the lighter plug in case I need to use car charger... I will see to post some pics of the set up...
Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by brandonj
I searched and searched for a direct hookup for my MyFi/Ipod, and nobody makes one for the Bose w/ in-dash changer. So your options are, in order of sound quality:
1. Tape adaptor - consider it, it works well. I took off the faceplate of my headunit and ran the wire underneath for a clean install. I rarely use my Ipod, so it is hooked up to the MyFi cradle 99% of the time. Make sure you leave enough slack so you can eject it.
2. Direct FM modulator - this will plug into your headunit at the antenna hookup and block out any FM signal when powered on. Sounds pretty good, but I've heard it can screw up AM reception if that is a problem for you.
3. Regular FM modulator (like iTrip, although I would save $20-$50 and just get a nice Belkin unit that doesn't say "i" on it) - Works pretty well, but the worst of the three. I use one with the DVD player in my Mountaineer, and it gets the job done. But on a road trip I have to change the frequency constantly as radio stations interfere with the reception, which is annoying.

I've tried the cassette adaptor back-to-back with the regular FM mod (same song, same car) and there is a noticeable difference in frequency response and clarity. The main drawback to the cassette adaptor is the noise of the mechanism, but it is usually drowned out by the stereo.

*edit* I wrote all that and then noticed you have an '01. I'm pretty sure Blitzsafe makes an adaptor that will hook up to your changer input. I think they are $80-90, and offer the best sound quality.

I'm going to check that Blitzsafe. Mines an 01' and doesn't have the multi-disc player - only single discs. It sounds like the majority prefere the tabe unit. I guess it's worth a shot -it's cheap.

Where are you guys mounting the i pod. Do you just lay it in the seat - cup holders?

Igzy - that's my change holder and I don't think the 60gig'll fit in the ashtray thingy.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:01 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by Ollie
Igzy - that's my change holder and I don't think the 60gig'll fit in the ashtray thingy.
I have a change sorter/tray and I keep it in the middle center console (between the seats) so the tray is empty for me

If you do decide to use the tray, the tray insert (inner part of it, lined with fuzzy velvet-like material) pulls out, it is attached only with double-sided tape. If you pull it out you will have more room. I have Rio Nitrus and it fits fine even with the insert in the tray. Rio's dimensions are 3"x2.4"x0.6"...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:46 PM

I got one of those vent clip phone holders, took the clip off, and mounted it to my dash with 3M exterior mounting tape. My MyFi is mounted to the right side of the dash bezel. The screen shows right through the steering wheel and is easily reachable with my right hand. Some of the keys on the bottom half aren't visible, but I know them by touch anyway. I like it because I don't have to take my eyes as far off the road.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by super6
id like to know what are the ways to hook up an ipod w/o using the tape deck...(dont even have an ipod yet, but curious)

This is supposedly the best, clearest, no static and cheapest FM transmitter. I just bought one but haven't tried it out yet.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread...hreadid=138342
Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ollie
I'm sure you've all discussed this but I've been searching to no avail.

Those of you with OEM Bose radio's. What's your IPOD Setup? I just picked up the new 60gig and I have no idea where to mount it or if I want to mount it. Can I get a hard wired connection or should I use Itrip? Anyway, your comments or suggestions would be appreciated - or if you have a link to a previous thread.

Thanks,

Ollie

Don't get the itrip as from what I have heard it is inconsistent and unreliable. Hardwiring will offer you the best sound but is a pain in the *** to hook up with our stock Bose HU. The next best option is to get a good tape connector adapter. Sony makes one where the wheels are really quiet and the sound is like-cd quality. The next option is a fm transmitter. While this option is generally hit or miss, there have been people that have been successful going this route. I stumbled on what is suppossed to be a really good transmitter which I have posted the link in my reply above. In any case, you might want to check out the ilounge forums under in car solutions to find what suites your needs. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:13 PM

Ahhh.......the Bose HU is pure S*** i can't wait to dump it......Alpine makes an Ipod Module that will work with most aftermarket HU's thats probably the best way to go, the only thing I hate is the look of having an aftermarket HU, and all that empty space left from the Stock Bose HU..... I know you guys agree
Old 01-14-2006, 01:43 PM

Itrip is terrible. Avoid it like the plague. It pops and crack all the time, and sometimes it's so loud you'll think you blew a speaker.

The best possible adapter is the AUX-NISS by soundgate. Here:http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1

but, the cheapest way that still counds decent is through the tapedeck. I just hate the wires coming from the tapedeck, it looks messy.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Cletus

i have a cassete adapter and it works just fine. i took apart the face of the headunit and ran the cord to the side so it doesnt get in the way of the shifter and other controls. nice clean look
Old 01-14-2006, 02:55 PM

The DLO Transpod is awesome. I got it for my wife and there is no static or popping and sound quality is really good. It also charges the iPod while it is connected to the cradle. You can buy it at Best Buy or on their website at www.dlo.com. It costs about $90-100. It is wireless and requires no installation.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by kcwolf200
The DLO Transpod is awesome. I got it for my wife and there is no static or popping and sound quality is really good. It also charges the iPod while it is connected to the cradle. You can buy it at Best Buy or on their website at www.dlo.com. It costs about $90-100. It is wireless and requires no installation.
well the cassete adapter is $15 and better quality
Old 01-14-2006, 03:25 PM

i have a tape adapter wired behind the faceplate of the bose, i then have that plugged into a belkin car kit charger which plugs into the ipod dock and charges it while you play music, it also automatically shuts off the ipod when you turn off the car.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:40 PM
retired moderator

Here's the BEST option, IMHO (not an iPod, but same hookup)

Old 01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Cletus

josh
i was waiting for you to post. i was gonna post what you had but couldnt remember