5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VIS Hood Latch Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Need A Light?

VIS Hood Latch Help!!

Okay so I got my car back from the body shop...everything looks nice and the manager tells me everything went smooth....so when I got home I started to examine my parts under the hood

when I popped open the hood, I noticed I couldn't close it after....when I look under, I can see the hood latch hook onto the car latch...only on the 1st click...after that, it won't clip on securely....wtf? I tried putting alot of force on it too...but I'm affraid if I go any further, I'll crack my CF hood....I ran a search and found out your suppose to adjust the CAR'S latch to accommodate the new CF hood...I loosen the two bolts and tried messing with the settings...still no go...is there something I'm missing you guys?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:29 PM

Same thing happened with me, Until i relaized i just needed more force, But becarful!!! When the first step latch is in, what you do is put yor hands closer together so the leatch is directly in between your hands and try to force it down from there... Let me know what happends. ( Be careful. im not to be blamed if you put plenty amount of force. Take a couple of steps... when closing..
Old 01-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Need A Light?

Nismo, thanks for the prompt reply...did you try adjusting your CAR'S latch? If so, which way did you adjust it...up or down?

What is your technique to close the hood? Both hands around the latch area and put force?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:02 PM

I dont have CF hood but when I had a problem closing or opening i just sprayed some wd-40 onto the part behind the grille. Let it sit a few mins and try it. Mybe loosinging it just a little will help. It couldn't hurt either.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Need A Light?

argh! I tried doing what nismo said...still no go...I even put more force into it....what could be the problem?

I'm sure others know!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 PM

thats odd, My VIS hood is fine, id say call, or bring your car back to the shop, you dont want to crack the CF.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

I had this problem too. I found that the hole was too small on the hood. The latch has two points at the top where the bar goes into the latch. I had to grind those points down and it worked like a charm. If you need pics I can take some.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:56 PM

if the Pins are too low you cant close the hood at all, so why dont u higher it just one turn. See what happeneds then!! My Vis used to just click the first latch and not click the second until i just put more force and shut the hood differently, How about try closing the hood as if your straning it into the latch, so try to close it as if your closing it at an angle of the latch to lock in. Try it and get back to us..
Old 01-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
I had this problem too. I found that the hole was too small on the hood. The latch has two points at the top where the bar goes into the latch. I had to grind those points down and it worked like a charm. If you need pics I can take some.
pics would be greatly appreciated....i'll give it a try later tonight
Old 01-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by steven88
pics would be greatly appreciated....i'll give it a try later tonight

I'll get some tommorrow. I have never had to force my hood to close.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Need A Light?

THanks my own nismo...I tried adjusting the latch to the absolute max....meaning it won't go any further to the top....with that, I tried closing the hood and trying to angle the shut just like nismomax said....nice! I was able to get it closed....

But now i have a problem...my passenger side hood sits like 1-2mm higher from the fender....its not that bad, but noticeable up close....I know you can adjust it through the rubber stopper near the headlight...but mine broke off and doesn't have one...even if it did, my hood sits HIGHER, not lower from the fender...so the rubber stopper wouldn't help in this case...is there another way to adjust the hood so it sits more flush with the fender? Remember, this is only with the passenger side...drivers side lines up fine with the fender...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Need A Light?

Oh yeah...just letting ya'll know...since the passenger side hood sits a little higher from the fender....I tried to adjust the CAR'S latch lower, just to see if the hood will sink in...since my driver's side has the rubber stopper, if the hood on that side sinks in, I could always raise it a little with the stopper....well anyway, I tried to adjust the latch and now it won't let me close the hood....

SOOO....pretty much I HAVE to mount the CAR'S latch high....or else my hood won't close....anyone know another adjustment?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Here are the pics. My drivers side was higher then the rest of the hood. My passenger side was good. I ground down the two points circled.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Need A Light?

okay here are some pix...my passenger side is sticking out a bit...my drivers is fine...is there anyway to do adjustments in order to make it sit flush?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:58 PM

looks like you need to shave the hood a little where the fender meets the hood at the cowl, then slide it over a tad. not sure what you can/cannot do to CF tho.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Need A Light?

shave the hood? like where exactly?

I can push down on the hood and it will become flush...it doesn't seem like anything under it is "blocking" it, or not allowing it to close fully....
Old 01-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Drug Money

Damn drew, just mod your fenders, while you're at it, roll'em!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:17 AM

I would just bring it back to the shop, you had it done and they didn't finish it right. Now worth messing up with brand new hood when they were the ones who were supposed to get it done. just my 2 cents
Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree, take it back and let them do it right.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:43 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

OH DEAR GOD! DONT SHAVE THE HOOD! I had a problem latching my hood after a little front end damage...you can adjust the latch out towards the front of the car with a little elbow grease...it sounds like by pushing in the hood bowed up a bit and for whatever reason, the passenger side is sitting higher. you can do this adj several ways...hands, rope or come-along...try hands first...grab both sides of the latch(car) and pull forward a bit. it should move with some weight behind it. you can also run a rope behind it and pull with both ends in your hands, or a come-along wrapped around it and anchored to something and bring it a click or two at a time. also, you could losen the bolt that hold the hood to the hinge...that could be part of the problem is that wasn't aligned properly on the hinges before the boltw were tightened. those would be my two thoughts. if you mess with the hinges, losen them just a bit so that the hood doesn't just slide around, but is still held firm enough to move it with a bit of pressure. hope it helps.

ps, where and how much for the CF hood?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 AM

Mine wasn't that far off...My latch did need adjusting though.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
OH DEAR GOD! DONT SHAVE THE HOOD! I had a problem latching my hood after a little front end damage...you can adjust the latch out towards the front of the car with a little elbow grease...it sounds like by pushing in the hood bowed up a bit and for whatever reason, the passenger side is sitting higher. you can do this adj several ways...hands, rope or come-along...try hands first...grab both sides of the latch(car) and pull forward a bit. it should move with some weight behind it. you can also run a rope behind it and pull with both ends in your hands, or a come-along wrapped around it and anchored to something and bring it a click or two at a time. also, you could losen the bolt that hold the hood to the hinge...that could be part of the problem is that wasn't aligned properly on the hinges before the boltw were tightened. those would be my two thoughts. if you mess with the hinges, losen them just a bit so that the hood doesn't just slide around, but is still held firm enough to move it with a bit of pressure. hope it helps.

ps, where and how much for the CF hood?
Thanks for the answers...my hood is a VIS and I got it for $400 homie hook up...

I did try loosening those two bolts and adjusting...nothing changed!! You know what else I noticed? The 3 bolts that hold that car's latch...the very bottom one is missing...theres only two bolts, left & right...no bottom...I'm wondering if the missing bolt has to do with any of this? Cuz I know in the FSM, you adjust these bolts to make the hood sit higher/lower etc...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the answers...my hood is a VIS and I got it for $400 homie hook up...

I did try loosening those two bolts and adjusting...nothing changed!! You know what else I noticed? The 3 bolts that hold that car's latch...the very bottom one is missing...theres only two bolts, left & right...no bottom...I'm wondering if the missing bolt has to do with any of this? Cuz I know in the FSM, you adjust these bolts to make the hood sit higher/lower etc...
Spray some WD40 on there and untighten them more...maybe then they'll move.

Btw: I bought mine from ebay and paid 469 shipped to Jersey from Cali.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Spray some WD40 on there and untighten them more...maybe then they'll move.

Btw: I bought mine from ebay and paid 469 shipped to Jersey from Cali.
where exactly? the bolts near the windshield wiper...or the bolts near the front of the hood?

I'm calling up the parts dept now to see if that bolt that I'm missing is in stock...
Old 01-16-2006, 12:05 PM
vsamoylov

man thats soudns like a pain man. i say take it back to where ou got it installed and let the mess with it.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
man thats soudns like a pain man. i say take it back to where ou got it installed and let the mess with it.
seriously...I know it does...but at the same time...I needa make it my last resort...the shop I go to is real busy around this time of the yr...and if I take it back, most likely I'd have to drop it off...which I cannot afford doing this week...thats why I'm tryin to figure it out myself...
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM

hey just wondering, did they attach the stock struts to the hood?

as for the hood not closing, you're going to have to grind the latch down in order to make it fit. I had the same problem with mine but in the end i said fudge it and used hoodpins to secure it down. granted mine was not VIS but its a solution.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 PM

where exactly? the bolts near the windshield wiper...or the bolts near the front of the hood?

I'm calling up the parts dept now to see if that bolt that I'm missing is in stock...
on the latch bolts...

Originally Posted by DJ2Max
hey just wondering, did they attach the stock struts to the hood?

as for the hood not closing, you're going to have to grind the latch down in order to make it fit. I had the same problem with mine but in the end i said fudge it and used hoodpins to secure it down. granted mine was not VIS but its a solution.
I used my stock struts and it closed fine after I moved the latch up a bit.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Need A Light?

Polak, is your hood still not flush till this day?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:27 PM
vsamoylov

if i am not mistaken he sold his.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:36 PM

yeah about the stock struts, i was told that they are too strong to use on the carbonfiber hoods. eventually the hood will give under the pressure and crack.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Steven is your VIS hood cool now?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by callkiss
I think his hood issue was settled... but:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=458601
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Need A Light?

Yup...took it in to the body shop and they worked their magic...and it open and closes with little effort now...it sits alot better too...freakin sux though...i got into another accident...heres the link

Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 AM

Yup...took it in to the body shop and they worked their magic...and it open and closes with little effort now...it sits alot better too...freakin sux though...i got into another accident...heres the link

Damn Steven sorry to hear about that man, try and be more careful man your MAX is looking nice man. Would be a shame to keep destroying your work of art.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:20 AM

got damn Steven, sorry to hear man. i had a lil fender bender a month or go. i got my bumper fixed but the f#ckin VIS hoods are on backorder everywhere. so my stock one, they smoothed out as much as they could but i want my carbon fiber joint. i hope i dont run into any probs when i finally get mine. anyone know any places that have cf vis hoods in stock? gettin kinda impatient
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by chigga
got damn Steven, sorry to hear man. i had a lil fender bender a month or go. i got my bumper fixed but the f#ckin VIS hoods are on backorder everywhere. so my stock one, they smoothed out as much as they could but i want my carbon fiber joint. i hope i dont run into any probs when i finally get mine. anyone know any places that have cf vis hoods in stock? gettin kinda impatient

Call VIS directly http://www.visracing.com/catalog/con...33daf1c07253d4

I did and they had like 2 available.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by chigga

I just got mine from JTR sport...good price and got it in 2wks. CA to NY not bad...quality is top notch genuine vis. they sell on ebay too. i was nervous when i saw a lot of their feedback cause people were cancelling orders but i found out why when i called...they tell you 3 weeks for delivery...most pple are too impatient. they have great customer service and are reputable from my experience. they do a phenominal job packing and shipping too. best of luck...vis carbon fiber oem style hood...480 shipped to my door in 2 weeks
Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
I just got mine from JTR sport...good price and got it in 2wks. CA to NY not bad...quality is top notch genuine vis. they sell on ebay too. i was nervous when i saw a lot of their feedback cause people were cancelling orders but i found out why when i called...they tell you 3 weeks for delivery...most pple are too impatient. they have great customer service and are reputable from my experience. they do a phenominal job packing and shipping too. best of luck...vis carbon fiber oem style hood...480 shipped to my door in 2 weeks
Got mine from VIS in one week. Better! CA to VA
Old 03-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Got mine from VIS in one week. Better! CA to VA

i know you are but what am i???

Quick Reply: VIS Hood Latch Help!!