5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any one had this before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:55 AM

Any one had this before?

My car is 2000 SE and it takes a long time to start it. Did any one had this before? I tried with the other battery its the same
Old 01-15-2006, 05:25 AM

I had a similar.................

Yes, I had a similar problem, that the car wouldn't start on the first try, so after a while my dad took I it to the dealer because it was under warranty. The end result (if I'm remember correctly) that the Mass Airflow Sensor was bad.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zaypka
My car is 2000 SE and it takes a long time to start it. Did any one had this before? I tried with the other battery its the same

do you have a SES light?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:44 AM

Does your car churn churn and churn? Does it start faster when the engine is cool? Does it sound like the engine is not rolling everytime you start it? If your answer is YES to all this questions, please please and please replace the starter. I dont know how to stress this to you but believe me it has happened to me on my old 2000 SE Maxima. Replace the starter before it messes up your flywheel. And guess what? Tell the person that helps you replace it to check for burned wiring that leads to the starter.
Let me explain better. The starter ir faulty and everytime you try to start your car, you supply the starter with current from your battery, then the starter overloads tending to send back the current which melts the wires. Get it?

IN SHORT REPLACE YOUR STARTER ASAP
Old 01-15-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BRINKLEY
do you have a SES light?
no SES light and no codes
Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 AM

no SES light and no codes
It wont come up as a code believe me
Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ope2k4
Does your car churn churn and churn? Does it start faster when the engine is cool? Does it sound like the engine is not rolling everytime you start it? If your answer is YES to all this questions, please please and please replace the starter. I dont know how to stress this to you but believe me it has happened to me on my old 2000 SE Maxima. Replace the starter before it messes up your flywheel. And guess what? Tell the person that helps you replace it to check for burned wiring that leads to the starter.
Let me explain better. The starter ir faulty and everytime you try to start your car, you supply the starter with current from your battery, then the starter overloads tending to send back the current which melts the wires. Get it?

IN SHORT REPLACE YOUR STARTER ASAP
the starter spins good and it starts worse when its cold and yesterday I couldn't start it at all. so my battery died but I user battery from my other car .
Old 01-15-2006, 07:27 AM

the starter spins good and it starts worse when its cold and yesterday I couldn't start it at all. so my battery died but I user battery from my other car .
still check on the starter. it might need to be regreased. And believe me my starter was spinning good too "or so I thought?"
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ope2k4
still check on the starter. it might need to be regreased. And believe me my starter was spinning good too "or so I thought?"
I always thought that starter works or it doesn't work and what do mean by regreassed it?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:55 AM

I always thought that starter works or it doesn't work and what do mean by regreassed it?
go up to the "how to install" sticky above, and look for the starter replacement, regrease thread and check it out. Explains everything.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:58 AM

regreasing helps the starter spin faster. The grease around the tip might be dry.

I always thought so too until it happened to me. Heed to my advice and I promise you that you wont regret it. An OEM starter from the dealership is about
$385 i think after you give them your old one. And you could always return the starter to the dealer if the problem persists (but Im sure it wont cos Im that confident). Make sure the wiring to the starter is checked too.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 AM

Poor starting

I have had that problem as well. The ignition would not fire until the engine attains a minimum speed. A starter going bad may sound OK but is not getting up to the required speed. Replace or rebuild your starter before serious damage is done to it.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 AM

I don't understand how is could ba a starter if it spins good? My engine does not fire (well it used to but not on the first and not on the second time like 10-15 times) And i have smell of gas in the car when it doesnt start.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Bump........
Old 01-16-2006, 01:10 AM

have you tested the levels on the battery? Could it be your alt? Check the levels of your battery and get back to us
Old 01-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello,

I dont know if you can do this with this car. Take out one of your spark plugs and touch it to the engine block. Have one ofd your buddies turn the key in the car and check and see if there is spark from the plug. Now if there is no spark then the start could possible not be spinning the engine at the right speed or there is a problem with your ignition system.

Tilly
Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 AM

I didn't mention than my car is a 5spd so I started while I was pushing it, but as soon as my engine got worm, it started to turn off when I let let go gas pedal. some people say that's my computer but now I'm confused.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:38 AM

I don't understand how is could ba a starter if it spins good? My engine does not fire (well it used to but not on the first and not on the second time like 10-15 times) And i have smell of gas in the car when it doesnt start.
You have smell of gas cos you flood the motor with gas everytime you have an unsuccessful start. Just replace the damn starter and get it over with
Old 01-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Play with my balls

Here is a possible issue, that Nikita and sloppymax has on their 2001 AE. If your car has been sitting and you jump in and just try to start it right away, there is not enough time for the fuel to get sent through the line from your fuel pump when you just get in and start your car. The way you get it to start up right away, is to turn your key to the "ON" position, wait 5 secs or more and listen as your fuel pump engages, then turn your key to the start position and it will fire right up. For some reason it works like this for these models and it gives the fuel pump enough time to feed the fuel through the line. Also, your pump might possibly be going out. Try that and see if that's any help to you.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 PM

changed the starter and mass air flow sensor but the car still doesnt start unless i push it down the hill.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 PM

bump.............
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM

bump.............
I could have been able to refer you to someone that works for the nissan stealership that wont charge you an arm and leg if you lived in jersey. The only other thing I could think of now is the crankshaft position sensor. Did you change this one? Are you having any new SES codes lately?