5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got into an accident today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Makers Mark

Got into an accident today....

UGH, my beloved Max is hurt.

I was at a T intersection. Picture the T......I was at the "bottom of the T." As I approached the intersection I ran the yellow light to turn left onto a three lane road. There was a slow moving minivan in the left lane, so I changed lanes into the middle lane. I admit I did not yield, as there should have been NO traffic approaching from the "right of the T." I couldn't change lanes completely as there was a Jeep Grand Cherokee coming in the middle lane at speeds approximately 30-35 mph.

At the time I thought it was my fault. However, after thinking about it further, how could someone have been approaching from the right? If I was driving through a yellow light in this situation, wouldn't both intersecting lights have been red? I am calling a traffic attorney tomorrow. The best part about it is the guy that was driving the Jeep was excited when he saw the cop pull up as the cop just happened to be a longtime friend of the guy.

Hmmmm, the plot thickens. Of course the guy in the Jeep gave his story first, but my story was not taken very seriously, if at all. I ended up arguing with the cop a little bit - to no avail - at which point I muttered, "Do what you have to do." I knew I would have to discuss further with my insurance or with an attorney.

So, basically it was a one sided story and I not only ****** up my Max, I know have a improper lane change ticket of $115.50. My insurance premium was to drop in March upon renewal.

Oh yeah, I suppose I should mention that my right headlight assembly, right front fender (including clear corner and PIAA plasma bulb) and front bumper need to be replaced. My stock tires only have approx 2K miles on them and I wanted to get new 18'' tires/rims but now have a big G unit deductible.

Ugh, what next?

Old 01-23-2006, 03:36 PM
retired moderator

sorry to hear that man.....but I wouldn't count on getting out of it, unfortunately....it's basically a 'you said you ran the yellow' and 'he said you ran the red' situation....so it all comes down to what the cop said.

sucks though
Old 01-23-2006, 03:42 PM

FEEL BETTER!

Are you getting money from the insurance company?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Makers Mark

Yes but the bottom line is there should have been no traffic approaching from either side, as both of their lights were red. It is legal to go through a yellow, not a red.

The insurance company will probably write the check to the bodyshop directly.

UGH.

Can you get some pics up here?

techincally the cop cant take sides if he didnt see what happened. youd have to have a witness.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by irish44j
sorry to hear that man.....but I wouldn't count on getting out of it, unfortunately....it's basically a 'you said you ran the yellow' and 'he said you ran the red' situation....so it all comes down to what the cop said.

sucks though
That is why, my friend, there are traffic attorneys. They are in business for a reason. They WILL get me out of it. I did not admit any fault.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
HOOSIER Daddy?

sorry to hear that bud. I know what you mean about the driving situations in FL, let alone the south. I've spent plenty of time in Tampa and Orlando in the past couple of years and it seems like some people simply want to get into accidents in order to collect.

Something about the south and not using turn signals... I just don't get it.

I really think they need to send a lotta peeps back to driving school
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by spdfreak
Can you get some pics up here?
I have a digital but do not know how to post pics. PISSED.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by ressling
sorry to hear that bud. I know what you mean about the driving situations in FL, let alone the south. I've spent plenty of time in Tampa and Orlando in the past couple of years and it seems like some people simply want to get into accidents in order to collect.

Amen, bro. Your front end sure looks a lot like mine did twelve hours ago.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by Y2KmaxSE
techincally the cop cant take sides if he didnt see what happened. youd have to have a witness.
Yes, I agree, but in this situation he did, and there were no witnesses.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Got Penguin?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Makers Mark

I wish I knew how to post pics.

The traffic atty is in court until 4 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
New to the Maxi world...

Sign up for a cardomain account and then I think you could post your pictures on there and the put the links in your post or use the "Insert Image" icon.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
vsamoylov

that sucks though but it was a yellow so all the other light had to be red.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^ True, most lights I'm aware of in my area, have a 1/2 second to second delay after a red, before the green would've been given to crossing traffic.

Even if the light was green when he began to go, the fact still remains he failed to yield approaching a red light if he hit you going that fast.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Makers Mark

Thank-you, I knew he had to have blown a red. UGH, haven't been able to reach the atty as he has been in court all day. I am hot.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Get going.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM

Wesnine,

Sorry to hear about your accident. The pictures of your car now look nothing like the ones your previously sent me to review your wheels. I can understand that you are upset; I certainly would be. I was the .orger that was actually going to buy your wheels from you. I had the dough and the prepaid UPS label all set go and then you sent me the message telling me your car was wrecked (and that was after you got your faulty wheels too) It has not been going well for you and your Max lately. But most importantly, you were able to walk away from the accident and were not seriously hurt. I work in a hospital here and I have seen some serious hurt from MVAs.

Best of luck with the car and keep me posted on the sale info.

2000MaxGLE
Old 01-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ressling

yeah i live in nj which has the highest insurance rates in the country, we finally just got geiko here as they would'nt allow us to get it before because our stats are so bad but i went down to delray outside of baco raton and let me just say WOW! i never witnessed so many accidents in my life. And on the major highways you have to drive aggressive just to be safe if that makes any sence. People in the area where i was drove like animals. i live in south jersey which is'nt that bad, i think all the bad insurance numbers must come from north jersey especially after seeing how the people in florida drive. good luck with everything, and look at it this way, at least you or anyone else was hurt. the max can be fixed.....
Old 01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by 2000MaxGLE
Wesnine,

Sorry to hear about your accident. The pictures of your car now look nothing like the ones your previously sent me to review your wheels. I can understand that you are upset; I certainly would be. I was the .orger that was actually going to buy your wheels from you. I had the dough and the prepaid UPS label all set go and then you sent me the message telling me your car was wrecked (and that was after you got your faulty wheels too) It has not been going well for you and your Max lately. But most importantly, you were able to walk away from the accident and were not seriously hurt. I work in a hospital here and I have seen some serious hurt from MVAs.

Best of luck with the car and keep me posted on the sale info.

2000MaxGLE
Yep, unfortunately my Max and I have had better days. Thanks a lot. I might just say **** it and buy the 18s after all. You have dibs on my 16s if I decide to sell them. As you can see they are in great shape, I just want to go bigger, and need to do something soon, as the treadlife is about 2K on the fronts, and about 4K left on the rears.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by wesnine
Yep, unfortunately my Max and I have had better days. Thanks a lot. I might just say **** it and buy the 18s after all. You have dibs on my 16s if I decide to sell them. As you can see they are in great shape, I just want to go bigger, and need to do something soon, as the treadlife is about 2K on the fronts, and about 4K left on the rears.
I have dibs!!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:14 PM
It's business time.

That sucks, man. Good luck with it, although unless you can prove that that guy was running a red and you were in the intersection during the yellow, it's going to be tough.

I have a question for you though ... what way does the traffic light signal? If the guy in the Jeep has an argument what he needs to prove is that the next light to turn green is the one that he came from. That is to say that the sides of the "T" are red, while yours was green, then after your light turned red, the right side of the intersection turns green. Do you know this answer? If not, go check the intersection to be sure. This may help/hurt you.

GL
Old 01-25-2006, 04:53 AM
New to the Maxi world...

Wesnine did you ever get those pics posted anywhere? PM me the link.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:49 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by gold007eye
Wesnine did you ever get those pics posted anywhere? PM me the link.
Look at the thread starting post.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Makers Mark

Traffic atty thinks this can get dismissed, although he says worse case scenario is I will pay the ticket and have no points on my record, no increase in premium and the accident will show no fault. Lets get this dismissed!

Be safe and always YIELD!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Makers Mark

Oh yeah, taking the Max to Progressive Claims tomorrow and getting a rental while it is fixed. After the repairs I am getting 18s and the Max will be better than ever.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:57 PM
It's business time.

Traffic atty thinks this can get dismissed, although he says worse case scenario is I will pay the ticket and have no points on my record, no increase in premium and the accident will show no fault. Lets get this dismissed!

Be safe and always YIELD!
Well of course he'll tell you that, he wants your money. Good luck in court, I hope you have a sensible judge.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Quick question, where exactly did the jeep get hit? The doors? rear qrtr panel? Front fender? I've been in a similar accident and from what my cousin told me (he's a claim officer for Progressive), anytime you have frontal damage to your car you are either half or full responsible for the accident. Anytime you are hit from the back or side you are at either no fault or half responsible (depending on the case) even if it is your fault. Your attorney might get you off the hook by dismissing your ticket but remember once the Jeep guy's insurance company comes after you (or your insurance company) your premium might go up a bit.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by Sammzway
Quick question, where exactly did the jeep get hit? The doors? rear qrtr panel? Front fender? I've been in a similar accident and from what my cousin told me (he's a claim officer for Progressive), anytime you have frontal damage to your car you are either half or full responsible for the accident. Anytime you are hit from the back or side you are at either no fault or half responsible (depending on the case) even if it is your fault. Your attorney might get you off the hook by dismissing your ticket but remember once the Jeep guy's insurance company comes after you (or your insurance company) your premium might go up a bit.
Very good question. He was struck b/w his driver door and his front tire (left front fender). The bottom line is this never should have happened - I was on a road I had never been on before and I was not careful enough.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:18 PM
vsamoylov

bumper looks like it can be saved with some work. the fender is the only body part that needs to be changed lookign from the outside.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:30 PM

I'm sorry to see that...good luck w/everything.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:06 AM

Very good question. He was struck b/w his driver door and his front tire (left front fender). The bottom line is this never should have happened - I was on a road I had never been on before and I was not careful enough.
Listen dude, no wrong in what you did. It was a careless mistake. We all get careless sometimes only important thing is now you've learned to always be cautious no matter where you are becuz this could have been a lot worse. Get those 18s, drop your car, and make it look better then before.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:20 AM
New to the Maxi world...

Based on where his damage and your damage is; I would say they might be leaning towards the 50/50 (no one at fault), BUT... if they start leaning towards you being at fault do what you can to try and push for 50/50 that way both cars will get fixed and neither persons insurance will go up, & you won't have to pay any deductable.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by gold007eye
Based on where his damage and your damage is; I would say they might be leaning towards the 50/50 (no one at fault), BUT... if they start leaning towards you being at fault do what you can to try and push for 50/50 that way both cars will get fixed and neither persons insurance will go up, & you won't have to pay any deductable.
I don't know if NY is different but my accident was 50/50 being that the accident was face to face hit. Yet my insurance gone up from being $70 a month to $130 a month... almost double.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Yes, I agree, but in this situation he did, and there were no witnesses.
no, you don't understand. it's not whether he took a side or not.....the cops CAN'T take a side. their job is to ONLY fill in the report and give tickets if any were broken. nothing in the police report will side with each party of the accident. from here on out, it's you telling your story to the ins. company, his story to his ins. company, and then they go at it. that is, if you have full coverage.

but again, it doesn't matter what the cop thinks. AT ALL. they only file the report, they dont' wanna hear who did what. that is unless it's obvious, then you're issued a citation.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Makers Mark

Originally Posted by PoLo
no, you don't understand. it's not whether he took a side or not.....the cops CAN'T take a side. their job is to ONLY fill in the report and give tickets if any were broken. nothing in the police report will side with each party of the accident. from here on out, it's you telling your story to the ins. company, his story to his ins. company, and then they go at it. that is, if you have full coverage.

but again, it doesn't matter what the cop thinks. AT ALL. they only file the report, they dont' wanna hear who did what. that is unless it's obvious, then you're issued a citation.
Actually the only reason I got the ticket is the cop listened to his story and not mine.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:06 AM

I was hit too

There were 3 lanes, 2 turning right, and one for straight only. I had the green light and was turning right in the turning/straight lane closest to oncoming traffic (duh). I turned and someone turned into my car, and then claimed it was my fault. The insurance companies settled it 50/50. I complained, and they re-opened the case and decided that it was close to 100% the other guys fault. He was turning left through oncoming lanes, and even though we both had green lights, I had the right of way because I was turning right, and not through oncoming lanes. If that is anything like what happened you, then you would be right, in NY. I know that story doesn't help, but if you fight, sometimes you can win. And i got the car fixed cheap and pocketed some cash (it wasn't the maxima).