5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Motor tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:15 AM

Motor tick

Started up vehicle Sunday morning and heard the worst engine tick I have ever heard from a vehicle. Sounded like a lifter was just tapping away. The woman that owned vehicle before me appears didn't change oil like she should have. The ticking stopped after about a minute but it got me thinking. Am I in trouble or is this just "one of those things?" When oil filler cap removed can see sludge in motor and was told that about a couple hundred miles before next service to install a quart of trans fluid in engine to remove sludge. Is this safe or should I be shopping for a new motor? Any advise would be helpful. Title states motor tick but sounded more like a knocking noise from upper end.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My wifes mitisubishi montero ticks like that at start up then goes away. Have just learned to live with it cause it's always been that way. It probably is the lifters.....
Old 01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
It's business time.

It isn't the injectors?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:05 AM

I would use AUTO-RX to get rid of the sludge and I would also try another type of oil filter just to make sure you're not restricting oil at startup or maybe the filter is malfunctioning.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 AM
jjs

Originally Posted by MAXGXE
Started was told that about a couple hundred miles before next service to install a quart of trans fluid in engine to remove sludge

Who told you this???
Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 AM

tick/knock

I just changed oil have used mobil 1 synthetic purchased with around 75k and now has just over 85k. This concerns me just took a job about 40 miles from home. Should I invest in AAA or get rid of and purchase newer or just see how long she'll last? Was told to use trans fluid by a tech, Lincoln-Mercury tech.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by MAXGXE
I just changed oil have used mobil 1 synthetic purchased with around 75k and now has just over 85k. This concerns me just took a job about 40 miles from home. Should I invest in AAA or get rid of and purchase newer or just see how long she'll last? Was told to use trans fluid by a tech, Lincoln-Mercury tech.
Wow! (Note: I am not flaming you!)

1. Why are you asking a Ford tech about your car?
2. Why would transmission fluid clear anything out. It is meant to lubricate as well (just not the engine).
3. If you plan to "clean" anything out of your engine with a fluid you would end up using a solvent if anything.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:47 AM

Strange fluids

I change my oil every 3k sorry if that came off wrong but the only reason for asking this tech was I worked for a Lincoln-Mercury dealer (currently working for a chevy/pontiac dealer) Before I did something that didn't sound right I figured I would ask around. Not to excited about motor flushing, may be only sludge holding this together.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 AM

Its oil pressure thats waiting to build up in the crank case. That knockcing your hearing the dry motor waiting for the oil that didnt get up to pressure yet. Its most likely your chain and tentioner making a bunch of noise. If you see sludge, you may want to think about a new engine, or look better at the car before you buy your next one

-matt
Old 01-25-2006, 11:05 AM

Re:

Point well taken. I bought this vehicle from our used car lot and trusted they would sell me a decent vehicle. I was wrong. A/C compressor starting to go as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:14 AM

There is a thread about the ticking on this site. Mine does it as well but only for about 2 to 3 seconds and only when it is totally cold. I forgot what it has to do with but if you search, you will find.

As far as your engine and the sludge, I would take it to the dealer and pay them the $100 to power flush the oil like they do with the transmission. That way, the NISSAN techs can tell you if there is anything really wrong with the car. You'll get the flush and maybe some insightful info about your new ride.

By the way, if the previous owner didn't make oil changes a regular part of the car's life, you may want to have your injectors cleaned. It will make a world of difference in the way your car drives.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:59 PM

ATF fluid actually has detergent additives and is a good cleaner/degreaser. It can be used to clean grease and grime off of tools, though I dont think I'd use it for an extended period of time in an engine. Highly unrecommended unless you know what you are doing, but some kerosene (a quart or so) run through the system quickly and then a complete drain and oil change really cleans up the sludge well. Again, though, I do not recommend doing this yourself.

Originally Posted by AcerX
Wow! (Note: I am not flaming you!)

1. Why are you asking a Ford tech about your car?
2. Why would transmission fluid clear anything out. It is meant to lubricate as well (just not the engine).
3. If you plan to "clean" anything out of your engine with a fluid you would end up using a solvent if anything.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I had a 97 Acura RL that came into the shop that was ticking REALLY bad, the engine slugged up for no reason even thou the owner did every oil change and recomeneded service on time. At the same time head gaskets blew on the engine from a overheat. Before I took the engine all apart for head work, I decided to drain the oil and fill it with 5Qts of ATF. I let her run for bout 4 hours and then drained and filled the engine with oil. You do NOT want to run the engine under ANY kinda load with ATF in it, but idleing is just fine. It ended up cleaning ALOT of sludge away from the engine, and made my job much less messy than it would have been- as the engine looked NASTY inside. This all happened sometime last December, and after 3K dollars worth of work to the engine, it runs like new.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 AM

Who told you this???
Putting trans fluid was an old method of cleaning the engine. Nowadays theirs a lot better ways. Auto-RX being one. Most flushing fluids you buy off the shelf (or even the one from AMSOIL) are kerosene or something to that extent. I've used them and they work but if your car is sludged up I wouldn't want all that crap being released all at once to potentially clog things up. I would use something a little more gentle.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:24 AM

tips

thanks for the tips/ideas will try a little at a time. since I drive 40 miles to work one way I will try to put some of the above mentioned cleaners in the same day and change the oil in the eve.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:31 AM

Does it tick everytime you start it up? If not mabye it was just a temporary thing but it is surely not normal. If you change your own oil you may want to start changing it more frequently, over time that should start to clean up the engine. Mabye try an engine flush and follow up with a double oil change. What I used to do with some of my older cars is to flush the engine and then change the oil, drive it for a few miles and then change it again. A lot of good tips here. My .02
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by matty
Its oil pressure thats waiting to build up in the crank case. That knockcing your hearing the dry motor waiting for the oil that didnt get up to pressure yet. Its most likely your chain and tentioner making a bunch of noise. If you see sludge, you may want to think about a new engine, or look better at the car before you buy your next one

-matt
I would also say the "ticking noise" is (possibly) from the timing chain and tensioner. There isn't enough oil pressure built up there yet. This was very common in the 4th gener's, but not as bad in the 5th gener's. I had a '95, and it ticked all the time. I even had it repaired under warranty and it eventually came back. I would suggest to get your engine flushed and cleaned ASAP, and change your oil much more frequently.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:25 AM

As someone mentioned above do a couple of "quick" oil and filter changes. Do not use varsol, kerosene or any other products to try to get rid of the sludge quickly. The maxi oil filters are small. Check/replace the PCV valve and check that the crankcase vent and blowby hoses are unobstructed. The heavy tick noise may also have been a sticking valve or lifter (probably an intake) caused by more than normal deposits. Try some gas additive like Techron for a while.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jibberish18
Putting trans fluid was an old method of cleaning the engine. Nowadays theirs a lot better ways. Auto-RX being one. Most flushing fluids you buy off the shelf (or even the one from AMSOIL) are kerosene or something to that extent. I've used them and they work but if your car is sludged up I wouldn't want all that crap being released all at once to potentially clog things up. I would use something a little more gentle.
Yep... what he said...
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 PM

There was another thread on here and somebody said put a quart of trans fluid in the engine about an hour before you change the oil, and drive around for a little while. It has lanolin and detergents in it like he said, but i thought it just wouldnt be good in the engine. Who would put dexron III in a VQ motor? certainly is cheaper than a bottle of Auto-Rx
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 PM

you could try using Royal Purple synthetic oil, very good protection. One of the features on the back of the bottles is:

Keeps Engines Clean
Advanced synthetic solvency cleans engine deposits

I ordered mine from summitracing.com but if you go into an auto place and ask for it they should have it, I think autozone carries it or can get it.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 PM

i would and DO.

i also run it in my VR4 (very known for spinning rod bearings)

dont drive hard with atf in there. it doesnt have the viscosity to offer proper protection under heavy load. it does do a good job of cleaning it out though.

dont run penzoil oil. ive seen engines with religous oil changes at 3k miles with penzoil. around 85k they looked like tar inside. comparable engines go for well over 150k on other oils with no build-ups.

use of the size of the maxima oil filter dont run with ATF for more than a few days.

btw. im a ford/lincoln/mercury tech and i own 2 maximas. we have better nissan techs at our dealer than the nissan dealer here.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Seems more obvious on cold morning starts definately sounds upper end poss lifter. After running for about two minutes tick/knock goes away. If the sludge is holding things together inside I may not want to flush the motor out or use any detergents.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 AM

so dexron III, or ATF+3, or mercon...?