5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CD player stolen...now climate control doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CD player stolen...now climate control doesn't work...

Ok I just had my car broken into and the cd player was ripped out. The two stock harnesses from the cd player were torn apart...So now when I turn on the heater (climate control, not manual) the heater works fine, blows hot air UNTIL I turn on the headlights...If I turn the headlights to "Auto" it all still works. But if I turn the parking lights or headlights to "On" the heater still works BUT the climate control display goes blank, as in I can't see the temp, or, which vents are being used, or fan speed...any ideas? Here are some pics of the damage...first pic is the led from the PAC SWI-X steering wheel control...

Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Got Penguin?

Dude that sucks! Your missing a ground wire...
Old 01-26-2006, 10:35 AM

oh man thats horrible :\ gl...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:25 AM

damn that is seriously messed up...ya check ur grounds. Insurance is gonna have to help you fix it.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dayum!!....that makes my stomach hurt. Best of luck getting it fixed properly. Hope things work out for ya.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:32 PM

It may not be all that bad. Take it slow. Remove the trim around the shifter. Take out the temp control unit & check the back. There are like four different wiring harnesses that go into the back of the temp control unit. The person who stole your radio probably just yanked one out in the process of ripping out your stereo.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM

That's what I was hoping as the "clip" on one of them that locks it into place was already broken, so it was just wedged in there...I'm about to finally go check it all out now. Those of you that said ground, which ground were you talking about? 'Cause there's a crapload of them... Oh well, on the bright side I have $1000 in sound system coverage with only a $50 deductible...so once I get the check I get my new toy http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...496605,00.html
Thanks for all the help and support guys, time to go to work on this crap...

Originally Posted by Kevon1
It may not be all that bad. Take it slow. Remove the trim around the shifter. Take out the temp control unit & check the back. There are like four different wiring harnesses that go into the back of the temp control unit. The person who stole your radio probably just yanked one out in the process of ripping out your stereo.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

they must have ripped out a connector, i just took my head unit out this week and the climate control still worked with the head unit totally out
Old 01-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Ok I just checked everything, I taped up all loose wires but the only ground is from the pac and interface control...the climate control plug was perfectly fine, nothing broken or missing...and I forgot to mention that the dash lights are out all the time...the speedo, tach, and gas are out, all the "check engine" kind of lights work fine. And yes I checked the fuse under the hood marked "tail lamp" and it's fine as well...are there any mechanics that work at nissan dealerships on these boards? My comp deductible is $500 and there's no way in hell I'm paying that to fix this problem...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM

bump......
Old 01-26-2006, 05:39 PM

WoW. You live in Madison, WI? Is crime high around there? Where were you parked when it happened?

Just wondering because I live not too far from there and have the same car. Just a bit of a warning though... these bastards may strike again and try to steal your replacement stereo now that they've done it once with your car and know how to.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 PM

I just moved here in Sept '05. Then in late Nov some ******* crosses the center lane and hits me head on, we were both doing about 40, totaling my
'00 max. Now this. Violent crime is very low but thefts might be high, I don't know. It was parked in my apartments underground parking garage. The garage has four cameras that record to tape so hopefully those f*'ers will be

Old 01-27-2006, 05:41 AM

they stole your OEM CD player, or did you have an aftermaket one?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 AM
New to the Maxi world...

Whoever did it actually took the time to remove the Vents above the radio? If that's the case then then new exactly what they were doing for this car...

Hobbz: Are you blinkers working? I noticed when I took my dash apart last weekend that the lights, blinkers, etc are connected through part of the harness that plugs into the Emergency Blinker button. Check and make sure that is still connected and hasn't come loose.

chr0nos: I would have to say it was an aftermarket stereo from the following. 1) look at the pics.. that is an aftermarket dash kit & 2) Hobbz talks about the PAC steering wheel controller... (That would only be needed for aftermarket stereos

*On a side note - this reminds me that I need to get the insurance on my new HU DVD player.. Hobbz.. how much extra did your insurance go up by added stereo insurance?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
they stole your OEM CD player, or did you have an aftermaket one?

Pioneer Premier 940mp
Old 01-27-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by gold007eye
Hobbz: Are you blinkers working? I noticed when I took my dash apart last weekend that the lights, blinkers, etc are connected through part of the harness that plugs into the Emergency Blinker button. Check and make sure that is still connected and hasn't come loose.

Yeah everything else in the car still works fine...

*On a side note - this reminds me that I need to get the insurance on my new HU DVD player.. Hobbz.. how much extra did your insurance go up by added stereo insurance?
$33.xx every six months for $1000 in coverage with a $50 deductible, through Allstate.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:54 AM

O'man! I'm felling your pain .....................Why don't you try getting a wiring schematic?

GoodLuck!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by spdfreak
O'man! I'm felling your pain .....................Why don't you try getting a wiring schematic?

GoodLuck!
#1-Where could I get one?

#2-If I could find a free one somewhere I don't know enough about electronics to know what could cause the problem...
Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 PM

i have a .pdf fersion of the factory service manual. it has all the harness and electrical diagrams. shoot me a pm, and you can dl it, if you want to mess with the harness with one of your electrically-inclined friends.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
i have a .pdf fersion of the factory service manual. it has all the harness and electrical diagrams. shoot me a pm, and you can dl it, if you want to mess with the harness with one of your electrically-inclined friends.
your rep +10!! You are my savior! Earlier today I had the idea that it "MIGHT" have something to do with the illumination/dimmer wire not being connected to anything, so I went out to try grounding but the wires on the car side of the harness are different colors than the cd player side so no luck in finding it...btw you have pm
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by hobbzz
I just moved here in Sept '05. Then in late Nov some ******* crosses the center lane and hits me head on, we were both doing about 40, totaling my
'00 max. So I get the '03 and three weeks later my cousin backs into it and does $1400 in damage to the body. His insurance paid for it, I got it back about two weeks ago and now this...Violent crime is very low but thefts might be high, I don't know. It was parked in my apartments underground parking garage. The garage has four cameras that record to tape so hopefully those f*'ers will be
O damn... don't say that... my 00 max is parked in my apt's underground garage as well
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by trigger005
O damn... don't say that... my 00 max is parked in my apt's underground garage as well
Today the office had everyone bring in their garage door openers to reset the codes...so it was either someone who does/used to live here, or they somehow swiped the code...