5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

gauge cluster shift light bulbs help!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 PM

gauge cluster shift light bulbs help!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys! I’m trying to change the green bulbs on the gauge cluster to blue? Has anyone ever tried this? What kind of bubs are there? Are the bulbs covered by green glass? IF some one installed LED’s let me know please!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:35 AM

The wiring diagram in the factory service manual for the 2000 Maxima shows them to be LEDs, not bulbs. I'm not sure about the '03
Old 01-27-2006, 03:51 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Jay_Alix
The wiring diagram in the factory service manual for the 2000 Maxima shows them to be LEDs, not bulbs. I'm not sure about the '03
Where does it say that?

The shifter bulbs are filament-style bulbs...as are ALL of the cluster bulbs. Unfortunatley, the green color is a result of the green plastic that is part of the cluster faceplate. The best thing you can do is replace the shifter lights with a RED bulb...this will give you a white color.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Where does it say that?
Factory service manual, page EL-106 Meters and Gauges - Combination Meter, shows a diagram of the back side of the gauge cluster indicating all the bulbs, none are shown for the A/T Indicator

Factory sevice manual, page EL-108 shows a schematic for the gauge cluster, and indicates LEDs, not bulbs

Factory service manual, page EL-128, EL-AT/IND-02 has a wiring diagram which indicates LEDs not bulbs.

As I stated in my original post this is what the factory service manual for a 2000 shows, if it's not the case then the manual is incorrect. I haven't had my cluster out to verify either way.

The airbag light shows to be an LED setup as well, appears to be 2 from the diagram.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 AM

Where does it say that?

The shifter bulbs are filament-style bulbs...as are ALL of the cluster bulbs. Unfortunatley, the green color is a result of the green plastic that is part of the cluster faceplate. The best thing you can do is replace the shifter lights with a RED bulb...this will give you a white color.
Now metal, if I want my gauge numbers to be white instead of red, all I have to do is buy some red bulbs(like the polarg) and solder them in so that they are pointed in the correct position? Because ever since I came to the board I was under the influence that I would had to get the hyper white and then sand the green off which I am not willing to do. If I can just get some red bulbs it will be white? Just trying not to waste money/time.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:25 AM

The shifter bulbs are filament-style bulbs...as are ALL of the cluster bulbs. Unfortunatley, the green color is a result of the green plastic that is part of the cluster faceplate.
I took a few minutes to verify, and as I posted and is stated in the manual, my 2000 is in fact LEDs. The AIR BAG light is also an LED. The green color is from green LEDs. The plate that covers them has white backing to it, so changing the LED color would result in that same color showing through.

here's a picture, unfortunately my camera is not that great, but the top 6 are LEDs and not filament style bulbs, note the bottom one is a regular bulb, but not part of the shift indicator.

picture of back side of the cluster. the red circles show the solder points for the LEDs

This is for a 2000 Maxima, so other years may be different, as I stated in my first post. I may be a "newbie" on this board, but I have been dealing with automotive electrical systems for some time, and I do know how to rear a wiring schematic and diagram.