5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Quick Drops in Gas Needle

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Quick Drops in Gas Needle

Over the past few months I noticed something very weird.

Whenever i make sharp (long) right turns for example the ones when you take an exit, after the turn is finally over i look over to my gas needle and i see a VERY NOTICABLE drop. I mean the needle literally moves and never adjust back to where it previously was. It feels as though when i turn im losing gas. Ive never seen such a drastic drop in the gas needle and its also more noticable the closer the needle is to empty.

Has anyone else had this problem??
Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 PM

i dunno but the needle does flacuate. i have noticed this at times not when turning but if i am on the highway ramp
Old 02-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My needle never moves regardless of sharp turns or not. Maybe the float in the tank is going bad.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 PM

I've seen changes which are noticable too in short drives or "actions." Not sure why, just agreeing because I'm curious as well. For me it happens when say I accelerate through like 3 gears like ONTO a highway. I mean obviously flooring it will use a lot of gas, but after a couple hundred feet should the needle really have moved about 2-5mm? Seems like a lot to me, thats like 1-2 gallons, unless thats really how much any car would use during an acceleration of that type
Old 02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the needle fluctuates..I would think it would go back over time though..
Maybe the difference in resistance between say 3/4 of a tank and 13/16 is small enough to not allow the gauge to move back up...I'm wondering if you shut the car off and turned it back on while in neutral if it would go back to the "correct" position.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM

A good theory, next time I'm out I'll check that. I just hate to see that dramitic of a drop for a little sprint ya know? Now I have a dilemma, to have fun every now and then and push hard through first and second while sacrificing a whole gallon or save as much gas as possible due to these gas prices.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 PM

well its not the fact that im flooring it through an exit. Ive tried going fast through the turn, ive tride not to hit the gas pedal through the turn, ive tried to go really slow through the turn. And if you guys want to try it out do it when your gas tank is almost empty because that is when you see a HUMONGOUS drop (you could imagine how frustrating it is just looking at the needle move), its not as noticable with a tank which is more full. And it happens to me at the same turn every single week! If any of you guys live in New Jersey and are on route 18N take the exit to Rutgers University Busch Campus on an almost empty tank of gas. But then again maybe im the only one with this problem.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:54 PM

I know exactly what hes talking about. Everytime I get off an exit ramp and turn to the right, my needle moves drastically down. And it is deffinately more noticable when I have less gas. usually it goes back up, somewhat. Most of the time I just wait till I get back in, cause everytime I get off that exit i'm 30 secs from my home.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM

well when i go to work i have two exits i deal with so ill check as well, somethin to note. Interesting topic though, does your needle return to it's orginal position?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 PM

Mine never goes back to its original position. And the annoying thing is that it actually looks like it uses up that gallon of gas to make the turn. It seems like i have a lot of gas left but once that turn is done I once got that gas light meaning that gas was lost. Its too weird to explain. One thing for those who want to try this out is that it only work on the very LONG turns because you dont notice it on all exists.

As boondoxmax said maybe it is the float going bad because my car has 104K miles and a 2000 autotragic.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:10 PM

so has anyone given this a try?? I have actually notice today than on a half empty tank of gas the drop is BIG but the needle does actually go back up a little (but not when theres less gas).
Old 02-08-2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by tisucka
well its not the fact that im flooring it through an exit. Ive tried going fast through the turn, ive tride not to hit the gas pedal through the turn, ive tried to go really slow through the turn. And if you guys want to try it out do it when your gas tank is almost empty because that is when you see a HUMONGOUS drop (you could imagine how frustrating it is just looking at the needle move), its not as noticable with a tank which is more full. And it happens to me at the same turn every single week! If any of you guys live in New Jersey and are on route 18N take the exit to Rutgers University Busch Campus on an almost empty tank of gas. But then again maybe im the only one with this problem.
i used to go there everyday. busch.. lived in silvers
but i didnt own my max then and i dont attend there anymore
Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by tisucka
Over the past few months I noticed something very weird.

Whenever i make sharp (long) right turns for example the ones when you take an exit, after the turn is finally over i look over to my gas needle and i see a VERY NOTICABLE drop. I mean the needle literally moves and never adjust back to where it previously was. It feels as though when i turn im losing gas. Ive never seen such a drastic drop in the gas needle and its also more noticable the closer the needle is to empty.

Has anyone else had this problem??

I noticed the same thing for me too. Usually, when I stop the engine and start it back up again (after some time), the needle is usually back around where it was before it dropped.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JaKillz2
I've seen changes which are noticable too in short drives or "actions." Not sure why, just agreeing because I'm curious as well. For me it happens when say I accelerate through like 3 gears like ONTO a highway. I mean obviously flooring it will use a lot of gas, but after a couple hundred feet should the needle really have moved about 2-5mm? Seems like a lot to me, thats like 1-2 gallons, unless thats really how much any car would use during an acceleration of that type
Same here. I notice when I acelerate hard, the needle drops. Seems abnormal in the way it drops like that.