5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP! Need mechanic advice & input from those w/ 5th gen Fed Spec w/ Y-pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 03:25 PM
My 4DSC

Questions for those with a FEDERAL EMISSIONS 5th gen Maxima w/ Y-pipe...Please Reply:

(1) How long has it been on your car?

(2) Have you ever gotten a "Service Engine Soon" light?

(3) Did you ever pull the code to see the cause?
(By getting your car hooked up to a scanner)

(4) If you answered YES to #3...
What codes did you get? And how did you fix it?

The reason I am asking is because lately I have been getting the Service Engine Soon warning light...So I had the code pulled and it came up as follows:

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Fault (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Fault (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Fault (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Supposedly, this means that I have THREE (3) bad O2 sensors (out of four total sensors).
Which must be correct since my Air Fuel Ratio gauge is no longer functioning.
I've spoken to a few mechanics who say that they think the reason is because after adding my Y-pipe, which eliminates the pre-cats, my computer is getting bad readings because, on an OBDII vehicle, you HAVE TO HAVE a catalytic converter inbetween EACH O2 sensor (and the y-pipe eliminates two cats).
I really don't wanna have to put the stock "y" back on.

Lemme know if anyone has any solution/input.

Thank You In Advance.

PS: I've had the Y-pipe on my car for over 2 months now and have never had a problem...until this past week i finally modified the rest of my exhaust... 3" cat... 3" piping into a 3" resonator and 3" muffler...

Old 06-08-2001, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC
Questions for those with a FEDERAL EMISSIONS 5th gen Maxima w/ Y-pipe...Please Reply:

(1) How long has it been on your car?

(2) Have you ever gotten a "Service Engine Soon" light?

(3) Did you ever pull the code to see the cause?
(By getting your car hooked up to a scanner)

(4) If you answered YES to #3...
What codes did you get? And how did you fix it?

The reason I am asking is because lately I have been getting the Service Engine Soon warning light...So I had the code pulled and it came up as follows:

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Fault (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Fault (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Fault (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Supposedly, this means that I have THREE (3) bad O2 sensors (out of four total sensors).
Which must be correct since my Air Fuel Ratio gauge is no longer functioning.
I've spoken to a few mechanics who say that they think the reason is because after adding my Y-pipe, which eliminates the pre-cats, my computer is getting bad readings because, on an OBDII vehicle, you HAVE TO HAVE a catalytic converter inbetween EACH O2 sensor (and the y-pipe eliminates two cats).
I really don't wanna have to put the stock "y" back on.

Lemme know if anyone has any solution/input.

Thank You In Advance.

PS: I've had the Y-pipe on my car for over 2 months now and have never had a problem...until this past week i finally modified the rest of my exhaust... 3" cat... 3" piping into a 3" resonator and 3" muffler...
Your first two O2 sensors were before your precats, right? If so, the swap of your Y-pipe shouldn't generate any error codes for those sensors.

These error codes are confusing in themselves. When you installed the Y-pipe, did you notice if your first two O2 sensors had one fewer lead than your last one behind the main cat? I believe this to be the case, so a "heater" error on the first two O2 sensors doesn't make sense, unless they are malfunctioning. If an O2 sensor doesn't fluctuate around it's "nominal" voltage, it will remain in open loop mode and eventually trigger a check engine light. Maybe this is the case and the error it gives is a heater error.

I would check the following two things. Remove each of the O2 sensors and check to see if they are fouled up a lot. Did you use anti-sieze or something like that (WD-40, etc) when you removed them or installed them last time? I have heard of O2 sensors not liking anti-sieze too much, so you have to be careful where you get it (and how much you use). Also, the heater on the O2 sensors is driven by a voltage supplied by the small fourth lead going into the O2 sensor. Since there is quite a bit of twisting during the removal and subsequent install of the O2 sensors, this lead would be the most likely to break.

Sorry, but that's all I can think of right now.
Old 06-08-2001, 04:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I have no technical advice for you.

But, I've had my cattman y on my fed 2k 5spd for at least 6 months and no codes.